What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (3 Viewers)

Sorry guys, East Coaster here that gets up at 6 AM. Sometimes I put my phone away and unwind pretty early. 

13.5  Devin Booker SG 10s

2x All Star

Being only 24 this is obviously a partial bet on kind of player he is now and what he will do going forward. I think he's been underrated because of the crap team in Phx he's had most of his career. If he was in New York or played for a winning team like the Bucks he would have been getting more attention. The Suns are playoff bound this year so we can see if that level of respect and buzz starts to come his way. He's a scoring machine and is the shooter I needed to pair Butler with. Butler will now move to SF. 

@Frostillicus

wikkidpissah said:
13.03 Len Bia......i mean, Reggie Lewis SF 90s
I may have to turn in my Maryland card after this post(not that it's worth much these days), but as someone who got to see him from his senior year of HS on through till his death, I don't think he would have been the amazing pro everyone was penciling him in to be. Yes, he had an amazing vertical leap which made his 20' baseline jumper look like an extended version of Kareem's sky hook. Yes, he was explosive, strong, etc. What he couldn't do well--and he was able to mask this in college--was dribble. I know most forwards don't need to dribble excessively, but he would have been hard-pressed to take anyone off the dribble. He would have shimmied a little and then elevated for a jumper.  The problem with that is that in his 4 years at Maryland, his only consistent shot was from the corner. He definitely had an underrated ability to ball hawk, but you can't build an offense around that. I also don't know that Bird and the rest would have been very successful as mentors for him, mainly because what he did was 45 degrees off of what they were that either he would have had to abandon most of what got him drafted and made him look like a draft bust, or he would have ended up getting frozen out by the veterans, and again would have looked like a bust.

Bias would not have had Lewis' career; Lewis had a better all-around game and Bias would have lost time and teammates/coaches confidence trying to catch up. I'd like to think he would have proven me wrong, though the more objective side of me stays doubtful.

Damn it. I was finally ready to take that last remaining MVP and, all respect to Reggie, greatest Pacer of all time. JoJo and Mel both gone so I guess back to the who cares about the 70s strategy.
I was wondering how an MVP slipped through the cracks but I see now it was ABA only. Makes more sense.

I was wondering how an MVP slipped through the cracks but I see now it was ABA only. Makes more sense.
Mel has been the top-ranked player on my list for the last round or two, the only reason I didn't take him was because I already had Kareem and I really didn't want to bump Kareem to the 80s where I feel like he was not as great.

Mel has been the top-ranked player on my list for the last round or two, the only reason I didn't take him was because I already had Kareem and I really didn't want to bump Kareem to the 80s where I feel like he was not as great.
I honestly know nothing about the ABA. Sounds like Mel was a steal.

Sorry guys, East Coaster here that gets up at 6 AM. Sometimes I put my phone away and unwind pretty early. 

13.5  Devin Booker SG 10s

2x All Star

Being only 24 this is obviously a partial bet on kind of player he is now and what he will do going forward. I think he's been underrated because of the crap team in Phx he's had most of his career. If he was in New York or played for a winning team like the Bucks he would have been getting more attention. The Suns are playoff bound this year so we can see if that level of respect and buzz starts to come his way. He's a scoring machine and is the shooter I needed to pair Butler with. Butler will now move to SF. 

@Frostillicus
He was on my short list. 

List of players to average 22.5 PPG through their first 6 seasons. The rest of his game leaves something to be desired, but his blend of scoring efficiency and volume is very rare.

Sorry, this is incorrect.  @EYLive still has 30 minutes to pick.  My bad, guys...I misread something there.

@trader jake delete (hide) those two posts if you can quick.
OK, good work.  I don't think he has been on yet, but he does have the full first hour.  For some reason I read Instinctive's post and thought you were up, Jake.

Skip me, I'm trying to drag myself out of bed.
No need EYLive.  Looks like you still have 20some minutes.  There's now about a 90% chance you snipe one of the two previously posted picks.  If so, it would be funny as hell and we'll all blame Jayrod.  Good luck!

This draft is starting to get really difficult. A lot of fun and fascinating (as I’m learning about NBA history) but difficult. 
I'm happy I grabbed a few people I knew in the 60s and 70s, because I'm basically 100% reliant on basketball reference to research those folks at this point. 

I don't really remember participating in the draft a decade ago, so I think whatever I'm learning as I'm reading about old white guys that couldn't jump, is totally Al Bundy-ing through my brain, just in one ear out the other.

Pick from Instinctive:

13.08 Maurice Stokes, PF 60s

Made all-NBA and was an All-star every season of his career. In the last game of his 3rd season, he had a crazy fall and what today would be seen as an obvious concussion. He was revived, continued playing in the playoffs, and then had a stroke, seizure, and fell paralyzed on the flight back from game 1 of round 1. The Twyman-Stokes Teammate award is named after him and Jack Twyman, who was his best friend and stayed at his side the rest of his life.

I'll drop the straight wikipedia entry on his 3 seasons, but videos and clips I found also indicate he was likely the best all around player of the era, and without injury may be remembered more like Oscar as the way back forerunner to LeBron James.

Playing for the National Basketball Association's Rochester Royals, which became the Cincinnati Royals in 1957, from 1955 to 1958, Stokes averaged 16.3 rebounds per game during his rookie season and was named NBA Rookie of the Year. The next season, he set a league record for most rebounds in a single season with 1,256 (17.4 per game). Stokes was second in the NBA in rebounds and third in assists in 1957–58; a feat only Wilt Chamberlain has matched for a full season.

During his three seasons in the NBA (1955–58), he grabbed more rebounds than any other player with 3,492 (Bob Pettit was second with 3,417) and also amassed 1,062 assists, which was second in the NBA only to Boston Celtics' point guard Bob Cousy (1,583). Stokes was named an All-Star and All-NBA Second Team for all three seasons of his career. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in September 2004.[6]

He is one of eight NBA players who have recorded four consecutive triple-doubles.

13.09 Lou Hudson – SF 1970s

The original “Sweet Lou”.  He was recruited by Dean Smith to North Carolina, but elected to go to Minnesota as part of the first black recruiting class at the school.  Almost all of these draft picks have athleticism, but some are a step above and Hudson is one of those players.  One story I read mentioned him breaking his right (shooting hand) and playing 17 games with the injury – he still averaged 20pts 8reb while shooting with his off hand.

Started the decade on the All-NBA team and proceeded to rattle off six consecutive All-Star appearances for the Hawks after the team moved from St. Louis to Atlanta.  Finished his 13 year career over 20 points/game and was an extremely efficient player due to consistently being amongst the league leaders in FG% from the wing and getting to the line a lot.  In the first year the NBA kept official stats for steals he averaged 2.5.

• Played at the end of his career with Michael Cooper, my last pick in this draft.  Kind of enjoy those connections.
  • In NBA2k my 10yr old son now knows about this cat.  He learned the hard way. 😄
  • Missed part of the 1967/68 season due to military service.
  • Appeared in the basketball movie The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh in 1979
  • Hudson was an even better performer in the NBA playoffs. His statistical averages increased in the postseason.  A must have, when possible, in a draft like this one.

I had two players in mind with my next pick, and obviously Norm Nixon was one.  I triple-dog dare @Gallyto snipe me on the second one.
Lucky for you (or maybe not) I am shifting from my original pick and hoping my original pick slips to my next one.  I am shifting because someone broke the seal on Devin Booker and I didn't want to miss out on this guy in case someone got itchy trigger fingers:

13.10 - Donovan Mitchell - SG/2010's

I know he only is in his 4th year but he has been phenomenal in this short time averaging 20.5 ppg his rookie season and has now been about 24 ppg each of the last three years (2nd year was 23.8 so I am rounding up) while increasing each year.  He is only getting better.  

Career highlights and awards

• 2× NBA All-Star (2020, 2021)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (2018)
  • NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (2018)
  • First-team All-ACC (2017)

@Mister CIAso did I pick your guy?  If not, return the favor and let me next guy pass you twice.  Thanks.  

My guy is still there, The Boston Strangler.

13.11 - Andrew Toney, SG 80s

Thought my 80s roster was going to round out nicely with Nixon, Toney, Aguirre, Cummings, and a center to be named.

So now all the finishing 5 on the 83 Sixers have been drafted - Cheeks, Toney, Dr. J, Bobby Jones, and Moses Malone.  What an awesome team that was.

Thought my 80s roster was going to round out nicely with Nixon, Toney, Aguirre, Cummings, and a center to be named.

So now all the finishing 5 on the 83 Sixers have been drafted - Cheeks, Toney, Dr. J, Bobby Jones, and Moses Malone.  What an awesome team that was.
you're welcome.  You owe me now

13.09 Lou Hudson – SF 1970s

The original “Sweet Lou”.  He was recruited by Dean Smith to North Carolina, but elected to go to Minnesota as part of the first black recruiting class at the school.  Almost all of these draft picks have athleticism, but some are a step above and Hudson is one of those players.  One story I read mentioned him breaking his right (shooting hand) and playing 17 games with the injury – he still averaged 20pts 8reb while shooting with his off hand.

Started the decade on the All-NBA team and proceeded to rattle off six consecutive All-Star appearances for the Hawks after the team moved from St. Louis to Atlanta.  Finished his 13 year career over 20 points/game and was an extremely efficient player due to consistently being amongst the league leaders in FG% from the wing and getting to the line a lot.  In the first year the NBA kept official stats for steals he averaged 2.5.

• Played at the end of his career with Michael Cooper, my last pick in this draft.  Kind of enjoy those connections.
  • In NBA2k my 10yr old son now knows about this cat.  He learned the hard way. 😄
  • Missed part of the 1967/68 season due to military service.
  • Appeared in the basketball movie The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh in 1979
  • Hudson was an even better performer in the NBA playoffs. His statistical averages increased in the postseason.  A must have, when possible, in a draft like this one.
an extinct species in NBA Treyland, sumn i've thought about a lot as the Gervins, Kings, Alex Englishes and Chet Walker fall off the board. the silky "2 from the 3-hole" guys who made it look so easy from mid-range, which may actually have been the hardest gig. there's a kid in the game right now with a deadly 12-ft fallaway that brings me right back (and even he is mostly a trey-or-iso guy) to that special dying breed. sweet -

grr, wanted him too. didn't envision all of this Sixers love in here with all of the Sixers hate in the NBA thread.

You guys are going to leave me with grabbing Earl Cureton or J.J. Anderson.......    :kicksrock:

I'm not sure how I feel about Devin Booker and Donovan Mitchell picks. I love Booker and Donovan is my favorite current player (non-Wolf division), but this is an all-time draft. 
Yeah, I didn't even have these guys on my draft list.  If they weren't in the top 100 for the decade in winshares, they didn't make the list.

@Frostillicus selects:

13.06 Mel Daniels C 70s

@EYLiveis up
Mel:

career #s: 18.4ppg, 14.9rpg

peak: 21.0ppg, 16.8rpg

HOF

2x MVP

3x CHAMP

7x All Star

5x All-ABA

3x Rebound Champ

Named to the All-Time ABA Team in 1996

All-time Career leader in Rebounds in ABA

All-time Career leader in Off. Rebounds in ABA

All-time Career leader in Def. Rebounds in ABA

Love pairing him with Maravich. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Devin Booker and Donovan Mitchell picks. I love Booker and Donovan is my favorite current player (non-Wolf division), but this is an all-time draft. 
It may be an all time draft but it is also broken into decade pictures.  Those two have played half the decade (about) and are clearly the top of the current players at their positions.  When compared to others just from the decade of 2010's and beyond they compare favorably to that period of time.  

Now putting them on the Pantheon team would be a different story and they have no place there but when comparing to just the current decade I think they most definitely belong at the upper levels for the position. 

Yeah, I didn't even have these guys on my draft list.  If they weren't in the top 100 for the decade in winshares, they didn't make the list.
It is 2010s and beyond. I was focusing on the beyond part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say they were bad picks. I just said I'm not sure how I feel. I'll figure it out when I see how the other 2010+ teams shake out.
I hear ya, just my thought process on it. If it hadn’t said “and beyond” I wouldn’t have thought of the pick either.

It is 2010s and beyond. I was focusing on the beyond part.
I should have clarified the “and beyond” to be through 2021, there Buzz Lightyear. I think some are extrapolating some of the young current guys to continue these careers for years to come. Only their real accomplishments should be factored in.

Not that you’re doing this, but I wanted to make sure we’re only counting what’s actually been done (as if everyone’s careers were done today). Plus I wanted to make a Buzz Lightyear joke. 

I'm not going to argue that they were great value picks, but I think there is a bit of a bias against some of the younger guys. Here are some of the guards taken this round.

Here they are when you isolate their best three year stretch.

Some of this comes down to a difference of a philosophy, I think. Kind of back to the Bill Walton discussion  - are you more concerned about how good a player was at their peak, or are you looking for sustained goon-ness. For these young guys, I would prefer having a great start to their careers that leaves things a bit to the imagination, then having somebody that is good for their first 6-8 years then kind of tails off into mediocracy. 

13.12: SF Cliff Hagan, 1960s

23-10-4 guy during his five-year peak with the St. Louis Hawks. Hagan was an early 'instant offense' player, complete with a devastating hook shot reflective of the era. Without researching, I believe Hagan held the record for most points scored in one quarter before Wilt's 100-pt game (a 26-point 4th quarter vs the Knicks in 1958).

@higgins

I'm not sure how I feel about Devin Booker and Donovan Mitchell picks. I love Booker and Donovan is my favorite current player (non-Wolf division), but this is an all-time draft
... we're not even halfway through yet. Wait until we're sifting through "all-timers" in the 28th round.

Users who are viewing this thread