What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (3 Viewers)

now that you mention it, i dont remember old farts talking sports in depth except boxing
Interesting seems like the first sport to really go nation wide. Baseball probably not far behind but most other sports were probably pretty regional. I’ve even heard Russell complain about playing game 7s in Boston at arenas only 2/3 full. 

14.13 - Harry "the Horse" Gallatin, PF 60's

Harry was a 6'6" hard working, rebounding machine in the early days of the NBA.  He played in 682 consecutive games which was the early NBA record.  He averaged a double-double for 8 straight seasons and lead the league in rebounding in 1953-54.  And while advanced stats from the 50's aren't very complete, he is easily the #3 PF of the era behind Pettit and Schayes.

Hall of Famer, 2x All-NBA & 7x All-star

@wikkidpissah

Last edited by a moderator:
FAKE NEWS YA'LL!! Even Shane Battier's own mother doesn't think he's a great shooter!  :P
2 of the starting 5 aren't scoring threats. AK-47 and The Matrix will double team T-Mac to force Shane to take jumpshots.
Scoobus’s 00s team easily beats both your teams. Kidd, Allen, Bowen, KG, Shaq. 

14.13 - Harry "the Horse" Gallatin, PF 60's

Harry was a 6'6" hard working, rebounding machine in the early days of the NBA.  He played in 682 consecutive games which was the early NBA record.  He averaged a double-double for 8 straight seasons and lead the league in rebounding in 1953-54.  And while advanced stats from the 60's aren't very complete, he is easily the #3 PF of the era behind Pettit and Schayes.

Hall of Famer, 2x All-NBA & 7x All-star

@wikkidpissah
The 50s-60s is so odd because you had no shot clock in the 50s and so scoring was really low and then it explodes in the 60s where we get the most fast paced basketball ever played. Makes for an odd combo.

Interesting seems like the first sport to really go nation wide. Baseball probably not far behind but most other sports were probably pretty regional. I’ve even heard Russell complain about playing game 7s in Boston at arenas only 2/3 full. 
boxing was on tv, baseball on radio and were hugely bigger than anything else growing up in Boston. college b-ball was big, gym by gym, in a Southern HS football kinda way, football invisible except when NYGiants were in the championship.

there was never a point in the Auerbach/Russell dynasty where one couldnt walk into the Gaaahden just before gametime expecting to get a good seat. hockey was always sold out - in the same building - befo-ah Bobby O-ah, when the Bruins couldnt make the playoffs in a 6-team league for 20 years.

Jim Pollard F 60s and before 

@modogg
whew, wasn't looking at the early ages.

I am going to need a bit of time for my next pick cause i'm feeding my kid, but i can lay one down for now because i have been looking at this guy for a bit. 

His numbers weren't as eye-popping as i had hoped for, but he was the man in NBA Jam. What i like best is his fit on my 90s team, an interesting group:

Dan Majerle  90s   SF

- we know Majerle had a nice 3, but i didn't realize he made 2 All-defense teams too. Pretty convincing that this team will be nasty on the defensive end 

90s squad

PG John Stockton

SG Michel Jordan

SF Dan Majerle

PF Grandmama Johnson

C Derrick Coleman

got a feisty defense with a lot of steals, can hit the 3 nicely, and can do a bit of transition offense and defense. Might stumble against some of the big guys, but can slow them down ano none of them could hit FTs like Embiid so can hack and shaq if needed

whew, wasn't looking at the early ages.

I am going to need a bit of time for my next pick cause i'm feeding my kid, but i can lay one down for now because i have been looking at this guy for a bit. 

His numbers weren't as eye-popping as i had hoped for, but he was the man in NBA Jam. What i like best is his fit on my 90s team, an interesting group:

Dan Majerle  90s   SF

- we know Majerle had a nice 3, but i didn't realize he made 2 All-defense teams too. Pretty convincing that this team will be nasty on the defensive end 

90s squad

PG John Stockton

SG Michel Jordan

SF Dan Majerle

PF Grandmama Johnson

C Derrick Coleman

got a feisty defense with a lot of steals, can hit the 3 nicely, and can do a bit of transition offense and defense. Might stumble against some of the big guys, but can slow them down ano none of them could hit FTs like Embiid so can hack and shaq if needed
That's a ridiculous 90's squad.

Alright, my 60s team could use some help, so bringing in The Train

Bill Bridges PF 60s.

Guy basically averaged 12-15 rebounds a year during late 60s, early 70s. He is one of those guys who kind of floats in between decades, so possibly move him to my 70s, but most likely keep him in the 60s. Pairing him with Al Greer and my new boy Zelmo, my 60s squad is looking to compete. 

15.03 Charlie Scott SG 70s

Phew - got my Seventies secret weapon. npffffffffffffffffftt!

Whaddya say about a player who went 25-5-5 for THREE YEARS and then got good? Tommy Heinsohn's best move in 60 yrs a Celtic was recognizing the winner in this chukkah and getting Red to trade a much more "Celtic" player (translation: o-FAY) in Paul Westphal for him. The reward was the Celtics winning their 2nd 70s championship (over Westphal's new team in the finals, btw) with Charlie taking his usage down 10ppg to play team concept like he never did nuthin else. yea boyee!

@Jayrod

Tim, Louie only played 2 of his 12 years in the 60s. He should definitely be a 70s player. 
i'd let the judges decide. Ma. My 60s PG, Pearl, played only 3 of a 13 yr career in the 60s (tho his arrival was almost as big as Alcindor's as a 60s basketball event) but will always be one of the guys who turned the 60s into the 70s. the game was changing then, my friend, and Dampier's three best years were his 1st three.

i'd let the judges decide. Ma. My 60s PG, Pearl, played only 3 of a 13 yr career in the 60s (tho his arrival was almost as big as Alcindor's as a 60s basketball event) but will always be one of the guys who turned the 60s into the 70s. the game was changing then, my friend, and Dampier's three best years were his 1st three.
Yeah I think that’s a stretch too. It’s ok of its close for a players career between decades, but if is a majority of their career is in another decade (and only 2 or 3 where they are being placed), I think those players should be discounted if they’re misplaced. Judges can do what they want, but I’ll try to call out the people in the wrong decades and advise the judges to discount if they choose. 

I’d rather not have another Slumdog Millionaire / Teen Movie situation where something is placed poorly in a category and the judge doesn’t penalize, pissing everyone else off. 

I’ve called this out a few times for placing the players into decades. 

Wikkid's pick makes a tough decision easier.  With Charlie gone, I'm taking...

15.04 Dan "Dr. Rounds" Roundfield - PF 80's

Rounds, who was actually thin, was a tenacious defender and rebounder that played for the unheralded Hawks in the 80's.  He started with the Pacers (1 year in the ABA and then after the merger for 2 seasons), but really came into his own in Atlanta.  He averaged around 15 pts, 10 rbs, 1 steal and 2 blocks for about 6 seasons.  As a result of those efforts, he made 3 all-star games, 1 all-NBA team and 5 straight all-defensive teams.

On a sad note, Roundfield drowned in 2012 at the age of 59 saving his wife from drowning while on vacation in Aruba.  Dominique Wilkins credits him with teaching him how to be a professional and he was called the backbone of those Hawks teams that battled Boston in the 80's.

ETA:  I also had him ranked above 5 PF's already taken in this era.

@Ilov80s is up

Are you putting Black Jesus at the point?

15.05 Larry Kenon PF 70s

5x All Star 1x ABA Champ

An ABA to NBA guy who was the partner in scoring with Dr J and then Gervin. A versatile 20/10 guy for most of his career, he also holds the NBA single game record for steals with 11. 

@Frostillicus I didn’t leave you hanging tonight 

Yeah I think that’s a stretch too. It’s ok of its close for a players career between decades, but if is a majority of their career is in another decade (and only 2 or 3 where they are being placed), I think those players should be discounted if they’re misplaced. Judges can do what they want, but I’ll try to call out the people in the wrong decades and advise the judges to discount if they choose. 

I’d rather not have another Slumdog Millionaire / Teen Movie situation where something is placed poorly in a category and the judge doesn’t penalize, pissing everyone else off. 

I’ve called this out a few times for placing the players into decades. 
Then you have someone like Luka who hasn't even played 3 full seasons. Wouldn't you want them to have the same type of penalty?  Not trying to stir up anything, since I'm not drafting, but these seem logically similar a bit. 

Then you have someone like Luka who hasn't even played 3 full seasons. Wouldn't you want them to have the same type of penalty?  Not trying to stir up anything, since I'm not drafting, but these seem logically similar a bit. 
I'll take the hit for drafting Luka.  I've set an Outlook reminder for 2030 to follow-up this thread with a look at me post.

Re: Monroe, as a judge I think his three best seasons in the 60s are enough to make him elite. There's give and take here, but ultimately I don't think a player should get penalized because his career straddled two decades. 

The difference with Luka is Pearl has a 13 season career that he gets credit for in a decade he only played 3 years in. All of Luka’s seasons are in the correct place. 

I'll take the hit for drafting Luka.  I've set an Outlook reminder for 2030 to follow-up this thread with a look at me post.

Re: Monroe, as a judge I think his three best seasons in the 60s are enough to make him elite. There's give and take here, but ultimately I don't think a player should get penalized because his career straddled two decades. 
2/12 or 3/13 aren’t exactly straddling. 

But it’s fine, judges can handle however they want. I’ll call out the people I think are misplaced and people can decide how they deal with it. 

2/12 or 3/13 aren’t exactly straddling. 

But it’s fine, judges can handle however they want. I’ll call out the people I think are misplaced and people can decide how they deal with it. 
I can't think of a solid example, but hypothetically, what if Gayle Sayers best five years straddled the 70s, and what if this were an all-time NFL draft by decade? Does he just fall between the cracks?

Don't want to get too deep, as I understand where you are coming from, but where we differ is that I think three full seasons is enough to make a case within these cozy confines.  Were it two seasons, my value system would yield a different result.

I'm firmly anti-compiler in any all-time great discussion.

people was all crabbin about ugly ofay ball before. my favorite game didnt change from that with the wave of a wand. players changed it. If you told me Tommy Smith and John Carlos ran in more track meets in the 70s, i still tell you theyre 60s guys👊. i aint shoehorning, i just aint putting Black Jesus in B.C. time. i'll take the heat.

I can't think of a solid example, but hypothetically, what if Gayle Sayers best five years straddled the 70s, and what if this were an all-time NFL draft by decade? Does he just fall between the cracks?

Don't want to get too deep, as I understand where you are coming from, but where we differ is that I think three full seasons is enough to make a case within these cozy confines.  Were it two seasons, my value system would yield a different result.

I'm firmly anti-compiler in any all-time great discussion.
If we were only counting the peak five years in the judging then Sayers could fit in either decade since it’s pretty even. But if people are factoring in career accomplishments in their rankings, then the players should be placed where most of those accomplishments happened. If it’s close, the player can go in either decade. In my opinion 2 out of 12 or 3 out of 13 isn’t close enough. 

If we were only counting the peak five years in the judging then Sayers could fit in either decade since it’s pretty even. But if people are factoring in career accomplishments in their rankings, then the players should be placed where most of those accomplishments happened. If it’s close, the player can go in either decade. In my opinion 2 out of 12 or 3 out of 13 isn’t close enough. 
I think we agree.

15.6 SG Rolando Blackmon, 80s

Career: 18.0ppg, 3.3rpg, 3.0apg, .501 eFG

Peak: 20.3ppg, 3.6rpg, 3.6apg, .505 eFG

4x All-Star

@EYLive @eyeofthegator
It's a rusty memory but I believe there was a moment in an 80s all-star game where Rolando Balckmon had to sink two free throws to clinch the win the win for the West, with the likes of Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc, staring at him - and he sank them both.

The anti-whatshisname on the Magic, Nick Anderson.

ETA: Found it, 1987

Users who are viewing this thread