What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

That explains why you are jumping me with weekend picks lol
I'll jump all y'all if I have to.  Team Jayrod is winning this thing.  I've been waiting a decade for redemption after my 4th place finish in aught-ten.

ETA:  Nevermind my whole plan is shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't applaud, just throw money.

16.08 Norm Van Lier – PG 70s

Pre-Jordan, “Stormin’ Norman” (also #23) was known for his legendary work ethic and became one of the most beloved players in the history of the Chicago Bulls.  He was ultra  aggressive, especially on defense.  His tenacity was unrivaled for the era and he was rewarded for that effort with 8 All-NBA defensive nods, 3 All-Star games, and an All-NBA selection.  He led the NBA in assist in 1971 and finished in the top 10/game for nine consecutive seasons (70-78).

Van Lier appeared in Barbershop and Barbershop 2.  :fro:

son of a..... he was going to be mine at 16.13.  Not exactly sniped, but close enough at this point.

8 straight all-defense and 7.0 assts/game is no joke.

Me right?

16.09 Drazen Petrovic, SG 90s

I have a meeting at the half hour mark but will write up later. Suffice to say, he's among the 10 most talented players of the 90s and might have been the best European player every (until DIRK OF COURSE) had he not tragically died after bringing his sublime talents to 3 NBA seasons.

Pre-Jordan, “Stormin’ Norman” (also #23) was known for his legendary work ethic and became one of the most beloved players in the history of the Chicago Bulls.  He was ultra  aggressive, especially on defense.  His tenacity was unrivaled for the era and he was rewarded for that effort with 8 All-NBA defensive nods, 3 All-Star games, and an All-NBA selection.  He led the NBA in assist in 1971 and finished in the top 10/game for nine consecutive seasons (70-78).

WTF - you already took Bobby Jones!?!?!?  That's just greedy.

Me right?

I have a meeting at the half hour mark but will write up later. Suffice to say, he's among the 10 most talented players of the 90s and might have been the best European player every (until DIRK OF COURSE) had he not tragically died after bringing his sublime talents to 3 NBA seasons.
Hmmmmmmm, this pick feels a little assisted.

son of a..... he was going to be mine at 16.13.  Not exactly sniped, but close enough at this point.

8 straight all-defense and 7.0 assts/game is no joke.
I wanted to take him a few rounds ago, but made myself believe people would sleep on the 70s players a bit.  Finally I had to snag him.

WTF - you already took Bobby Jones!?!?!?  That's just greedy.
I know, right?  With Gervin as the lynch pin, that squad may be okay. 😉

Me right?

This is easily the steal of the draft.

Reggie Miller, Stockton, Lebron all chose him of any player ever to take the last shot of a game.

Instinctive said:
Me right?

So, like you I was too young to actually watch this dude in his time, but he kind of strikes me as one of those brilliant musicians that died at 27 or whatever that gained popularity after their death. 

If he had signed, say, another 4 year contract with the Nets, does he land another few All-NBA teams, or at 28, had we already seen the peak of his career? I feel like he gets remembered as 5 years younger than he was, and it's more of a Bill Walton/Derrick Rose what if they had the opportunity to get to their prime.

So, like you I was too young to actually watch this dude in his time, but he kind of strikes me as one of those brilliant musicians that died at 27 or whatever that gained popularity after their death. 

If he had signed, say, another 4 year contract with the Nets, does he land another few All-NBA teams, or at 28, had we already seen the peak of his career? I feel like he gets remembered as 5 years younger than he was, and it's more of a Bill Walton/Derrick Rose what if they had the opportunity to get to their prime.
He might actually be the greatest shooter of all time - and I don't say that lightly. I imagine that means he'd have made some all-NBA teams, and I will be hoping our judges feel he was this good as well, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UE451ZIkc

Just ask Reggie Miller. He has some idea of how to shoot a basketball and who is good at it.

This.  He was a 3rd-team all-NBA and 2 time all-star in 4 seasons.  He died at 28, not 25.  His career 3-pt% was unreal at 43.7%, but without the longevity, its hard to know how sustainable.  He may have been a Ray Allen, or maybe just a [guy who hasn't been drafted yet].

16.10 - Mark Jackson, PG, 1990
In his prime, he'd get double digit points and assists. An excellent defender and a rare low-post scorer for his position. 

#4 in Assists in NBA history
NBA All-Star (1989)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1988)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1988)
NBA assists leader (1997)
Consensus second-team All-American (1987)
Big East Defensive Player of the Year (1987)
2× First-team All-Big East (1986, 1987)
Haggerty Award (1987)
NCAA season assists leader (1986)

trader jake said:

dayum!

Instinctive said:
Me right?

double dayum!! you take Kobe, i'll take Draz. i will beat you half the time

16.11 PF Antawn Jamison, 00s

Career:  18.5ppg, 7.5rpg, .485 eFG

Peak: 20.6ppg, 8.1rpg, .487 eFG

2x All-Star

1x 6th man award

46th All-time in points scored

1 of only 2 players to score more than 20,000 career points and not make the hall of fame (Tom Chambers)

@Ilov80s @Love That Joker

He might actually be the greatest shooter of all time - and I don't say that lightly. I imagine that means he'd have made some all-NBA teams, and I will be hoping our judges feel he was this good as well, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UE451ZIkc

Just ask Reggie Miller. He has some idea of how to shoot a basketball and who is good at it.
I appreciate the feedback.

Regarding Miller's assessment... NBA players are terrible judges of talent, especially while they are actively playing. Not to say he's wrong, just that I don't put much stock into it.

16.10 - Mark Jackson, PG, 1990
In his prime, he'd get double digit points and assists. An excellent defender and a rare low-post scorer for his position. 

#4 in Assists in NBA history
NBA All-Star (1989)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1988)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1988)
NBA assists leader (1997)
Consensus second-team All-American (1987)
Big East Defensive Player of the Year (1987)
2× First-team All-Big East (1986, 1987)
Haggerty Award (1987)
NCAA season assists leader (1986)
Do we lose value for being the worst announcer in all of sports?

I appreciate the feedback.

Regarding Miller's assessment... NBA players are terrible judges of talent, especially while they are actively playing. Not to say he's wrong, just that I don't put much stock into it.
I mean, yes. Except LeBron who seems pretty good at it. 

Like you said, I was too young also. But the advanced stats look good, the shooting sounds legendary (and stats back it up) and at some point the opinion of peers carries weight also. I'm mostly just trying to lean more here and had a vague notion of Petrovic but he kept coming up as I research players. He's the main reason I've waited as long on the 90s. Went like round 19 in the other draft.

I enjoy Walton's game announcing. 😙 It's certainly not for everyone though.

This.  He's the man on and off the court.
First of all, his voice is sounds somewhere between Lurch and Mer-man and his topics are generally about anything but the game actually going on....but sure, he's great other than that.  :rolleyes:

16.2 Randy Smith SG 70s

2xAll Star, All NBA, ASG MVP

His name  is boring but he’s not. Four seasons averaging 20+ points. Described as blindingly fast, The Ironman played 906 consecutive games. He was a leaper know for reverse dunks. He played like Dr J but never quite reached the game or success of Erving. 

16.13 - Randy Smith, SG 70s

Randy Smith was an athlete.  He came up in the Buffalo area and starred as a 3-sport 
16.2 Randy Smith SG 70s

2xAll Star, All NBA, ASG MVP

His name  is boring but he’s not. Four seasons averaging 20+ points. Described as blindingly fast, The Ironman played 906 consecutive games. He was a leaper know for reverse dunks. He played like Dr J but never quite reached the game or success of Erving. 
Well, crap.....was literally writing the above out already.

Fine, I'll just take the guy I had decided I wanted 2 rounds ago (although I was planning to wait until after the turn)

16.13 - Roger "The Rajah" Brown 70s SF

Rajah was a GREAT ballplayer who never played a second of basketball at the NCAA varsity level or the NBA.  Why you ask?  Guilt by association.  He was a known associate of a gambler who was caught in a point shaving scandal and the NCAA, the University of Dayton (where he played on the Freshman team) and the NBA all banned him from playing without him ever actually being accused of any wrongdoing.  They eventually righted the wrong years later, but he was retired by then.

But as a result of the banning, he got a job and played AAU ball instead of playing at Dayton and being drafted into the NBA.  It wasn't until Oscar Robertson mentioned his name to the Indiana Pacers of the newly formed ABA that he got his first shot at professional basketball at the ripe old age of 25.  It was there, in the ABA, that he finally was able to showcase his amazing talent.

He proceeded to play 8 seasons in the ABA, where he was a 3x all-ABA selection, a 3 time ABA-champion and a 4x All-star.  He shot a respectable percentage from the 3 point line while averaging 17.4 pts, 6.2 rbs & 3.8 asts for his career.

Finally got revenge 
You totally didn't mention how he was a soccer and track stud and got drafted in the 7th round as a favor to the local boy by the Boston Braves.  They didn't expect him to make the team and he started out as the 12th man on the team at forward.

Next thing you know, he's the NBA's new ironman and running guys like Oscar and Frazier ragged during games with his tireless motion.  I was super pumped to have him on my team.  :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread