Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!)


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Yo Mama said:

Wouldn't he be better placed in the 90s?  He won a few championships in that decade I think.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Can drafters move picks to a different decade later on?  Surely Modogg deserves a chance to think it over before we pass beyond the continental shelf.

... and what about players who change names? Can they be drafted twice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

12.14 Arvydas Sabonis C 90s Most of the richest people in Australia are in satellite communications. Without satellites, they wouldnt get no media Down Under, so they were on it early. 35 ye

Hey guys, my NBA interest started to wane with the ascension of MJ / decline of the Bad Boys. I don’t think I would be able to render quality judging in the remaining decades so I’m going to bow out.

Sorry guys. Probably won’t be able to do results today. One of my dogs has pretty bad cancer and isn’t doing too well. I need to take care of him today.    I’ll do the results tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, modogg said:

whew good. 

So when we draft, are we looking for best players, or are we thinking of the best team with the 5 guys in the decade? I still went Jordan because he can do it all, so i don't see how he couldn't fit on any team. 

But you can't take 5 big men who play in the post as a team right?

You're filling 6 all-decade teams, but you also need to draft with an eye towards your all-time / pantheon team since that counts triple.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Wouldn't he be better placed in the 90s?  He won a few championships in that decade I think.

when do we commit to the decade to place them in. he might be better in the 90's

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mister CIA said:

Which brings up an interesting question.  Can drafters move picks to a different decade later on?  Surely Modogg deserves a chance to think it over before we pass beyond the continental shelf.

... and what about players who change names? Can they be drafted twice.

You can move them later on if needed - just need a place to list them in the spreadsheet.

 

Players who change names are one player, so drafted once.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think trades should be allowed as long as they're 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 etc. draft pick swaps.

But as I am not keeping track of this and Yo Mama is crushing it as commish, I shall defer to him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, modogg said:

when do we commit to the decade to place them in. he might be better in the 90's

I'd say much better in the 90s than in the 80s IMO.  10 years and 6 championships in the 90s, 5 years in the 80s.  You get his whole career regardless, but I think he's much more of a 90s player than 80s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scoobus said:

I think trades should be allowed as long as they're 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 etc. draft pick swaps.

But as I am not keeping track of this and Yo Mama is crushing it as commish, I shall defer to him.

I'd personally rather not - too hard to keep up with.

 

During the work day I have to do everything from my phone since the site is blocked on my work computer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yo Mama said:

I'd say much better in the 90s than in the 80s IMO.  10 years and 6 championships in the 90s, 5 years in the 80s.  You get his whole career regardless, but I think he's much more of a 90s player than 80s.

yeah i jumped the gun when i saw i was #1, and wanted to commit to the greatest player of all time. I do think i will lean with him in the 90's, and try to draft the entire '83 Sixers. but i like the idea that we can change it as the draft goes on, I have a feeling i will like a bunch in the 90's and late 80's remembering the good 'ol NBA Jams days

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had toyed with, if I got the #1 pick, doing a really long, in-depth post about Melo, how he was underrated, amazing NCAA and FIBA success with a bunch of links and highlights, then taking Jordan at the end of it.

This at least saves me that time.

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yo Mama said:

I'd personally rather not - too hard to keep up with.

 

During the work day I have to do everything from my phone since the site is blocked on my work computer.

i could possibly assist with the trade idea if we want to give it a try. I can see how i can keep track and log it in right, as long as it doesn't get to hectic. Will leave the call up to you

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

I'd personally rather not - too hard to keep up with.

 

During the work day I have to do everything from my phone since the site is blocked on my work computer.

All good, not a big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the judging may be funny since i think it will lean a lot into recency bias and forget how special some of theses players were in the past. Time will tell....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modogg said:

i could possibly assist with the trade idea if we want to give it a try. I can see how i can keep track and log it in right, as long as it doesn't get to hectic. Will leave the call up to you

We're gonna draft 480 players total.  Pretty sure keeping up with player trades could become a major headache.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

We're gonna draft 480 players total.  Pretty sure keeping up with player trades could become a major headache.

Agreed - plus I know myself.  I'd be PMing everyone 100s of times offering trades every time someone is on the clock and there is someone I really wanted to pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yo Mama said:

Agreed - plus I know myself.  I'd be PMing everyone 100s of times offering trades every time someone is on the clock and there is someone I really wanted to pick.

How is this a negative?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

How is this a negative?

yeh, i would be up to give it a try. Can always stop allowing trades if it gets too much i think. With 16 of us drafting, the corners with 1, 32 and 16, 17 could be up for some occassional trades so as to not miss on a ru of 30 players or so.

I really have no idea how i will take at 32 since i have almost no clue who will be there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, modogg said:

yeh, i would be up to give it a try. Can always stop allowing trades if it gets too much i think. With 16 of us drafting, the corners with 1, 32 and 16, 17 could be up for some occassional trades so as to not miss on a ru of 30 players or so.

I really have no idea how i will take at 32 since i have almost no clue who will be there

Ben Simmons

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!  I created my first google spreadsheet!

 

Plus I was able to convert my excel file into it so it was super easy.

 

Link - also link will be placed in first post.  Everyone should be able to update - just don't screw anything up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, modogg said:

yeh, i would be up to give it a try. Can always stop allowing trades if it gets too much i think. With 16 of us drafting, the corners with 1, 32 and 16, 17 could be up for some occassional trades so as to not miss on a ru of 30 players or so.

I really have no idea how i will take at 32 since i have almost no clue who will be there

I'm going to stick to my guns and say no trades.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, modogg said:

yeh, i would be up to give it a try. Can always stop allowing trades if it gets too much i think. With 16 of us drafting, the corners with 1, 32 and 16, 17 could be up for some occassional trades so as to not miss on a ru of 30 players or so.

I really have no idea how i will take at 32 since i have almost no clue who will be there

The delays that would accompany drafters waiting to get responses to trade offers would take years to sort.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Yo Mama changed the title to ***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Draft Order Set, Drafting Has Begun!)
2 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

I'm going to stick to my guns and say no trades.

But draft slot swaps are still available before those first round picks are used (so anyone besides Modogg can still swap spots before they pick).  It would just be for the whole draft, not just a round or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

The delays that would accompany drafters waiting to get responses to trade offers would take years to sort.

Yeah, that's a good point - that can take forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2. Wilt Chamberlain, Center, 1960s

The Stilt is not necessarily the second greatest basketball player of all time. But he is easily the second best pick for this draft. Actually, if I had the first pick he would have been that as well. The reason is simple: because since we’re establishing one team for each decade, Chamberlain is clearly the most dominant player against his peers in the history of basketball. He has the greatest separation between himself and every other player in his decade; it’s not even close. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1.03 Earvin "Magic" Johnson PG 1980s.

This game's beauty is and always will be about the getting of the shot and nobody has achieved same as definitively as Magic. Though i'm a Boston boy and he's caused me a lot of pain, Johnson's been my #1 choosies guy since i first saw him and i doubt that will ever change.

@Jayrod (bet he wakes up surprised)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

1.03 Earvin "Magic" Johnson PG 1980s.

This game's beauty is and always will be about the getting of the shot and nobody has achieved same as definitively as Magic. Though i'm a Boston boy and he's caused me a lot of pain, Johnson's been my #1 choosies guy since i first saw him and i doubt that will ever change.

@Jayrod (bet he wakes up surprised)

He’s my favorite player all time too. Surprised with this pick by you. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

He’s my favorite player all time too. Surprised with this pick by you. 

twas such a beauty for me to see a guy that big bring it up and no one dare challenge him and then watch him solve defenses like Sherlock Holmes. i will win more basketball games than you no matter who you have because i have him.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Yo Mama said:

Woohoo!  I created my first google spreadsheet!

 

Plus I was able to convert my excel file into it so it was super easy.

 

Link - also link will be placed in first post.  Everyone should be able to update - just don't screw anything up.

Looks like the sheet is locked for edits.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

well, i guess we started juuuust a little too late to watch Frosty's head explode on the page. when i saw mr timmy @ #2, i knew sumn hinky might happen, so i went for his 3sies in hopes of fun. ah, timing is everything. goin to bed -

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, three picks in and 2 surprises.  I actually suspected you might take Magic, @wikkidpissah.  But was also thinking maybe Wilt (very surprised he went #2).

Anyway, without further ado:

1.04 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - C 1970's

More MVPs than anyone else (6). Six rings.  All time leading scorer.  19 All-star appearances (most all time). 11 time all-Defensive.  I had him at #2, so very pleased to get him here.  He is an anchor on both ends of the floor and had both peak dominance and longevity.

@Ilov80s is up!

Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to get my ### kicked here as I’m way out of my depths especially with some of the legends of the game. I think this is a no brainer pick: 

1.05 Bill Russell- C/60s

11 rings, 5 MVPs, 12x All Star 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think he’s going to be happy with his trade down. 

I assume it’s the other guy I was considering. I don’t frequent the nba threads here so I don’t know who anybody likes. My pick was purely based on I don’t know much about the 60s so at least getting a clear all timer at center and in the 60s helps me out a lot. 
 

Also I assume this draft is based on achievements and relativity to their eras- not a bunch of modern advanced stats that will say Bill Russell was actually not good or some crap.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I assume it’s the other guy I was considering. I don’t frequent the nba threads here so I don’t know who anybody likes. My pick was purely based on I don’t know much about the 60s so at least getting a clear all timer at center and in the 60s helps me out a lot. 
 

Also I assume this draft is based on achievements and relativity to their eras- not a bunch of modern advanced stats that will say Bill Russell was actually not good or some crap.

Don't worry, modern advanced stats still say that Bill Russell was great.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, timschochet said:

2. Wilt Chamberlain, Center, 1960s

The Stilt is not necessarily the second greatest basketball player of all time. But he is easily the second best pick for this draft. Actually, if I had the first pick he would have been that as well. The reason is simple: because since we’re establishing one team for each decade, Chamberlain is clearly the most dominant player against his peers in the history of basketball. He has the greatest separation between himself and every other player in his decade; it’s not even close. 

I don't know about this, the era runs through 1969.  He is definitely the best of his era, but Russell isn't far behind and I believe there may be 2 more 1st round picks from the 60's.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

I don't know about this, the era runs through 1969.  He is definitely the best of his era, but Russell isn't far behind and I believe there may be 2 more 1st round picks from the 60's.

Russell is far behind. Russell is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA. There I said it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Russell is far behind. Russell is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA. There I said it. 

I agree with you in some sense.  His 11 rings means less, IMO, when comparing player to player because he played on the most loaded team compared to their era in NBA history.  But he was also the main reason that his team was so "loaded".

Additionally, Russell does have 5 MVPs compared to Wilt's 4 and that is a regular season award that I consider the best barometer of a player's value in their era.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

RECENTLY BROWSING   6 MEMBERS

Jayrod, Frostillicus, Doug B, trader jake, Kev4029, Gawain

 

:popcorn:

Link to post
Share on other sites

1.06 PG/SF/PF Lebron James, 10s

I completely get all the arguments for the players taken before Lebron, it's part of the reason I wanted no part of pick #3 when I thought he'd go second. I actually dropped to 6 with the hopes of getting Magic. Obviously I'm thrilled to get who I consider the best player of all-time. He has the versatility to play multiple positions, slot into multiple eras, and fit in with just about anybody on the court. Yay me!

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frostillicus said:

1.06 PG/SF/PF Lebron James, 10s

I completely get all the arguments for the players taken before Lebron, it's part of the reason I wanted no part of pick #3 when I thought he'd go second. I actually dropped to 6 with the hopes of getting Magic. Obviously I'm thrilled to get who I consider the best player of all-time. He has the versatility to play multiple positions, slot into multiple eras, and fit in with just about anybody on the court. Yay me!

Yeah that was my other guy but I got scared by the scarcity of early eras

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Yo Mama changed the title to ***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...