What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

Then team construction had zero value to you and it was just whoever had the most individual accolades. 
I also deduced points for players out of position, but you are correct that I did not map out exactly all the possibilities of how the teams would play. I kind of assumed these were all really great teams and could find ways to work together. The more talented players who had more achievements were more likely to be impactful and were more significant players for their eras. I didn't have an algorithm to determine cohesiveness but I wanted to do something that wasn't just me being arbitrary because some of these teams are really close and difficult to sort out. I don't think my voting in the decades was ever far from the group consensus.  

I also deduced points for players out of position, but you are correct that I did not map out exactly all the possibilities of how the teams would play. I kind of assumed these were all really great teams and could find ways to work together. The more talented players who had more achievements were more likely to be impactful and were more significant players for their eras. I didn't have an algorithm to determine cohesiveness but I wanted to do something that wasn't just me being arbitrary because some of these teams are really close and difficult to sort out. I don't think my voting in the decades was ever far from the group consensus.  
I kind of went the opposite of you and didn't really factor in individual accolades per se.  Obviously accolades are a measure of how good a player is but I really focused on the team build and how they would matchup in a pick up game against the other teams to rank them.  In the end i was never very far off either with usually a flip flop of spots with my max difference probably being 6 spots once or twice.  

Definitely a fun exercise regardless of how you go about doing it.

I kind of went the opposite of you and didn't really factor in individual accolades per se.  Obviously accolades are a measure of how good a player is but I really focused on the team build and how they would matchup in a pick up game against the other teams to rank them.  In the end i was never very far off either with usually a flip flop of spots with my max difference probably being 6 spots once or twice.  

Yeah I figured everyone would take a different approach. However, I don't see then how this tourney would be any different to the voting we just did if in both cases people were going by who wins a 5 on 5 game. 

Yeah I figured everyone would take a different approach. However, I don't see then how this tourney would be any different to the voting we just did if in both cases people were going by who wins a 5 on 5 game. 
The difference is it is against just one at a time instead of all 16 teams at once.  You might have better matchups for your road and the team that is a bad matchup gets eliminated early on so you don't face them.  

Frosty and Instinctive now tied at 14

Ilov80s making a late surge, now only down 12-13 to Jayrod

Last edited by a moderator:

I went with who could flat out ball and did not take into consideration relative to peers.

I made such a huge mistake taking Kevin Love over Chris Bosh. The second Bosh went I was kicking myself. I knew I needed shooting out of the bigs because I was targetting Rondo, and once my brain locked onto Love I couldn't think of anyone else. 

Should I keep the voting open until the morning (like 8am pacific) or still shut it down in about an hour tonight?

I won’t be setting up the next round until the morning anyway. 

I made such a huge mistake taking Kevin Love over Chris Bosh. The second Bosh went I was kicking myself. I knew I needed shooting out of the bigs because I was targetting Rondo, and once my brain locked onto Love I couldn't think of anyone else. 
Bosh paired with either of your bigs would definitely be better.

I’m calling it at 9pm if we have no ties. Don’t want anyone mad if the time gets changed and a result flips. 

***FIRST ROUND FINAL RESULTS***

Scoobus over Doug 28-0

Jayrod over Ilov80s 16-12

Gally over EYLive 23-5

Wikkid over Jake 16-12

Modogg over Tim 26-5

Mister CIA over Yo Me 20-11

Higgins over Kev 25-6

Frosty over Instinctive 16-15

I’ll set up the second round polls in the morning  

Instinctive said:
Well yeah we saw Jayrod's team of bricklayers win a decade on this principle.
:boxing:  Dame takes great offense at this.

ETA:  And Giannis owns it, but blocks your shot and dunks on your face.

Yo Mama said:

Sorry @Ilov80s.  You got doubly screwed by being a #9 seed and then getting stuck with what should have been a top 5 seed in the first round.  Your team deserved better.  I blame the committee.

Yo Mama said:

Scoobus over Doug 28-0

Gally over EYLive 23-5

Wikkid over Jake 16-12

Modogg over Tim 26-5

Mister CIA over Yo Me 20-11

Higgins over Kev 25-6

Frosty over Instinctive 16-15

I’ll set up the second round polls in the morning  
All of the favorites won so I guess the committee did something right with the seedings so far

ETA:  Are the brackets reseeded every round (Highest seed vs lower remaining seed, etc) or is it a set bracket like NCAA Tourney?

1. Modogg (1990s) vs Timschochet (1960s)

Modogg (1990s) - John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Dan Majerle, Larry Johnson, Derrick Coleman

Timschochet (1960s) - Walt Hazzard, Frank Selvy, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Wilt Chamberlain

Looks like Tim was busy with his alias accounts because surely no rational person could possibly think Tim has a better team.  Modogg's team still wins by 20 in the non-3 pt / non-shot clock era.

All of the favorites won so I guess the committee did something right with the seedings so far

ETA:  Are the brackets reseeded every round (Highest seed vs lower remaining seed, etc) or is it a set bracket like NCAA Tourney?
No reseeding of brackets

This is stupid

I also can't believe Frosty's team made it through mine but that's what we get going to the masses of Frosty alt accounts.
I am in a nail biter against Magic.  He is really the only thing keeping him in a matchup against my squad and I still don't think it would be close.  It's a bad matchup for wikkid's squad but it's coming down to the wire.  

Sorry @Ilov80s.  You got doubly screwed by being a #9 seed and then getting stuck with what should have been a top 5 seed in the first round.  Your team deserved better.  I blame the committee.
It's all good. I knew this would happen when I chose to take Russell over Lebron. I am not a huge fan of the modern NBA so it wouldn't have been fun for me to build a draft and team around Lebron even though it would have set me up to maybe win the draft. The bias against the older teams was obviously going to happen. Only 2 teams from the first 40 years of the NBA are left in the bracket. One of them got there by beating a 60s team. 

This just gives me something to complain about. ;)  

Second round is complete

Scoobus defeated Jayrod 28-1

Gally defeated Wikkid 16-13

Modogg defeated Mister CIA 21-8

Higgins defeated Frosty 17-12

If you filled out your brackets with all chalk, you were right. All top seeds advance again. 

Please make sure your Pantheon teams are correct on the Google sheet. I’ll kick off that ranking process Friday morning. 

It's all good. I knew this would happen when I chose to take Russell over Lebron. I am not a huge fan of the modern NBA so it wouldn't have been fun for me to build a draft and team around Lebron even though it would have set me up to maybe win the draft. The bias against the older teams was obviously going to happen. Only 2 teams from the first 40 years of the NBA are left in the bracket. One of them got there by beating a 60s team. 

This just gives me something to complain about. ;)  
Lebron would handle Russell like child's play.  Russell "dominated" by being taller that most of his peers.  How does 15.1 ppg, 56 FT%, and 44% FG stack up against 27 ppg, 75%, and 50%

🤣  There are a lot of pro-LeBron arguments to be made there...but that just isn't a very compelling one.  When you could do that same thing using Brook Lopez's stats vs Bill Russell, the argument you're using may require a little more nuance.

Voters gonna vote ILove80's.  Don't sweat it.

Signed,

GM that had his well-constructed Larry Bird and 18 all NBA Defensive awards team voted #11 overall by someone...in the 1980's. 🤷‍♂️ It happens.

Good luck Scoobus, Gally, Modogg, and Higgins in the voting.

Please make sure your Pantheon teams are correct on the Google sheet. I’ll kick off that ranking process Friday morning. 
I have not completely decided on my Pantheon team as I am still debating Schayes vs Issel for my final bench spot.  I will get it confirmed today.  

🤣  There are a lot of pro-LeBron arguments to be made there...but that just isn't a very compelling one.  When you could do that same thing using Brook Lopez's stats vs Bill Russell, the argument you're using may require a little more nuance.

Voters gonna vote ILove80's.  Don't sweat it.

Signed,

GM that had his well-constructed Larry Bird and 18 all NBA Defensive awards team voted #11 overall by someone...in the 1980's. 🤷‍♂️ It happens.

Good luck Scoobus, Gally, Modogg, and Higgins in the voting.
Q - What would you call it if you transported Lebron at his peak back into high school and imagine him only scoring 15 points per game?

A - A typical day in Bill Russell's life.

I have no doubt that Modogg's team will beat mine purely on the basis of recency bias and the amazing back-court; but, I question how, specifically, his team could actually win. First-things-first....my squad (here are the front-court's career rankings).

C Artis Gilmore

PF Elvin Hayes

SF Dr J

SG Gus Williams

PG John Lucas

Questions:

(1) How will Modogg's team score more than higgins' squad? We all know MJ will get his (plus some) and that Stockton will have to up his scoring but his team simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to put up enough points to contend with my big-3, who rank as the #8, #12, and #27 career scoring leaders. I understand that some people may prefer to ignore career stats and go solely by their peaks BUT even IF we were to take each player's peak scoring season the result would be higgins 123.5 -to- Modogg 114.4. The ABA has the rep (deserved or not) of having less defense than the NBA. But even IF we were to take the top scoring NBA seasons (instead of ABA) for Dr J and Artis (only players that played in the ABA), the tally would still be higgins 120.2 -to- 114.4....which leads me to my next question.

(2) Even IF Stockton has his best scoring day(s) in this series/game, how is his front-court going to score more than a minimum? Did you see the defensive rankings for my front-court? Majerle, LJ and DC weren't ever the alpha dogs on their own teams? How are they going to score against all-time defensive alpha dogs?....which leads me to my next question.

(3) How is Modogg's team going to get more than a minimum of rebounds? Again, please take a look at the rebound rankings from the link above....now answer the question.

My guess is that the only answer Modogg would be able to come up with is that IF Stockton has the offensive series/game of his life and IF we ignore the offensive peaks of the ABA years and IF we were playing in modern, spread offense-terms (which benefits his team), that his team could very well win. :rolleyes:

Again, I fully expect Modogg's squad to win this voting -- my only question is whether they deserve to.

Q - What would you call it if you transported Lebron at his peak back into high school and imagine him only scoring 15 points per game?

A - A typical day in Bill Russell's life.
Yeah sure. But transport Bill Russell into being born in the 90s where he's allowed to use all the facilities, he actually lifts weights and does cardio, people cant punch him on the court, etc etc

#### if you took LeBron and put him in 1960 he loses the hyperbaric chamber, the $1M/yr on his body, etc. It's ridiculous to take guys exactly as they are without context.

Users who are viewing this thread