What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

I have no doubt that Modogg's team will beat mine purely on the basis of recency bias and the amazing back-court; but, I question how, specifically, his team will win. First-things-first....my squad (here are the front-court's career rankings).

C Artis Gilmore

PF Elvin Hayes

SF Dr J

SG Gus Williams

PG John Lucas

Questions:

(1) How will Modogg's team score more than higgins' squad? We all know MJ will get his (plus some) and that Stockton will have to up his scoring but his team simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to put up enough points to contend with my big-3, who rank as the #8, #12, and #27 career scoring leaders. I understand that some people may prefer to ignore career stats and go solely by their peaks BUT even IF we were to take each player's peak scoring season the result would be higgins 123.5 -to- Modogg 114.4. The ABA has the rep (deserved or not) of having less defense than the NBA. But even IF we were to take the top scoring NBA seasons (instead of ABA) for Dr J and Artis (only players that played in the ABA), the tally would still be higgins 120.2 -to- 114.4....which leads me to my next question.

(2) Even IF Stockton has his best scoring day(s) in this series/game, how is his front-court going to score more than a minimum? Did you see the defensive rankings for my front-court? Majerle, LJ and DC weren't ever the alpha dogs on their own teams? How are they going to score against all-time defensive alpha dogs?....which leads me to my next question.

(3) How is Modogg's team going to get more than a minimum of rebounds? Again, please take a look at the rebound rankings from the link above....now answer the question.

My guess is that the only answer Modogg would be able to come up with is that IF Stockton has the offensive series/game of his life and IF we ignore the offensive peaks of the ABA years and IF we were playing in modern, spread offense-terms (which benefits his team), that his team could very well win.

Again, I fully expect Modogg's squad to win this voting -- my only question is whether they deserve to.
i'm still voting your squad over Modogg's - mostly cuz, as i said earlier, DC woulda NEVER showed up to games if he was asked to play the post in his prime - which is kinda vital - and you might as well take ANY pasty PG if you're putting him next to MJ cuz he's turning him into BJArmstrong even if he's John Stockton, but i wish you'd gone Phil Smith (another 5-brilliant-yrs-Achilles guy) or Don Chaney - or taken Doug Collins earlier - @ SG instead of sliding Gus over from PG. woulda been your hype man til the end...(tho that mighta been less effective than making em look up Phil Smith).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt that Modogg's team will beat mine purely on the basis of recency bias and the amazing back-court; but, I question how, specifically, his team could actually win. First-things-first....my squad (here are the front-court's career rankings).

(2) Even IF Stockton has his best scoring day(s) in this series/game, how is his front-court going to score more than a minimum? Did you see the defensive rankings for my front-court? Majerle, LJ and DC weren't ever the alpha dogs on their own teams? How are they going to score against all-time defensive alpha dogs?....which leads me to my next question.
have to look at match-ups closer, but i have to add to this that i know i took LJ over some others based on I think LJ could be similar to Karl Malone. Big body down low and can play that pick and roll i think just as well. In a meeting, but did have to look and mention this because i think LJ would have much better numbers on this team, than he did for his career or even his prime year. 

i'm still voting your squad over Modogg's - mostly cuz, as i said earlier, DC woulda NEVER showed up to games if he was asked to play the post in his prime - which is kinda vital - and you might as well take ANY pasty PG if you're putting him next to MJ cuz he's turning him into BJArmstrong even if he's John Stockton, but i wish you'd gone Phil Smith (another 5-brilliant-yrs-Achilles guy) or Don Chaney - or taken Doug Collins earlier - @ SG instead of sliding Gus over from PG. woulda been your hype man til the end...(tho that mighta been less effective than making em look up Phil Smith).
with your thoughts on this team bud, i really look forward to how my pantheon team will look for you with Embiid playing center. 

I have no doubt that Modogg's team will beat mine purely on the basis of recency bias and the amazing back-court; but, I question how, specifically, his team could actually win. First-things-first....my squad (here are the front-court's career rankings).

C Artis Gilmore

PF Elvin Hayes

SF Dr J

SG Gus Williams

PG John Lucas

Questions:

(1) How will Modogg's team score more than higgins' squad? We all know MJ will get his (plus some) and that Stockton will have to up his scoring but his team simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to put up enough points to contend with my big-3, who rank as the #8, #12, and #27 career scoring leaders. I understand that some people may prefer to ignore career stats and go solely by their peaks BUT even IF we were to take each player's peak scoring season the result would be higgins 123.5 -to- Modogg 114.4. The ABA has the rep (deserved or not) of having less defense than the NBA. But even IF we were to take the top scoring NBA seasons (instead of ABA) for Dr J and Artis (only players that played in the ABA), the tally would still be higgins 120.2 -to- 114.4....which leads me to my next question.

(3) How is Modogg's team going to get more than a minimum of rebounds? Again, please take a look at the rebound rankings from the link above....now answer the question.

My guess is that the only answer Modogg would be able to come up with is that IF Stockton has the offensive series/game of his life and IF we ignore the offensive peaks of the ABA years and IF we were playing in modern, spread offense-terms (which benefits his team), that his team could very well win. :rolleyes:

Again, I fully expect Modogg's squad to win this voting -- my only question is whether they deserve to.
I've had your team as better than Modogg's this whole time.  Probably the kiss of death, but I'm voting for you.

with your thoughts on this team bud, i really look forward to how my pantheon team will look for you with Embiid playing center. 
it will be interesting to consider because, as i've also said before, establishing a peak on these young'uns is tough. if i took the last 3 games, i could rank Joel ahead of Shaquille. if i took the last two seasons (with guys like Aron Baynes puttin' the quit in him in the bubble), though, he'd be behind Elmore Smith

it will be interesting to consider because, as i've also said before, establishing a peak on these young'uns is tough. if i took the last 3 games, i could rank Joel ahead of Shaquille. if i took the last two seasons (with guys like Aron Baynes puttin' the quit in him in the bubble), though, he'd be behind Elmore Smith
yeah, weighing these guys is more complicated for sure. i would offer as devil's advocate, that Embiid played a lot less organized basketball then most, so naturally his learning curve would be a little steeper when coming in (and frankly is why his current play is that much more impressive). he did struggle for the 1st year or 2 of his career with various centers (Marc Gasol was a pain in the a$$), but that was truly just him learning how to play the game better, and how to best fit on the court. 

best thing he has learned this year has been his ability to face double and triple teams, and pass out of them. the Nets game last night was a great example of how bad it could be, though in that game you had 2 guys in the 4th quarter double him when he crossed half court and Ben passed him the ball while in the double team. Was a great example of something they need to change before the playoffs

I've had your team as better than Modogg's this whole time.  Probably the kiss of death, but I'm voting for you.
i don't even see how they can get the ball to the bigs with Stockton and MJ against Lucas and Williams. passes would have to occur at the inbound pass because the steals they could generate would be easily 10+

yeah, weighing these guys is more complicated for sure. i would offer as devil's advocate, that Embiid played a lot less organized basketball then most, so naturally his learning curve would be a little steeper when coming in (and frankly is why his current play is that much more impressive). he did struggle for the 1st year or 2 of his career with various centers (Marc Gasol was a pain in the a$$), but that was truly just him learning how to play the game better, and how to best fit on the court. 

best thing he has learned this year has been his ability to face double and triple teams, and pass out of them. the Nets game last night was a great example of how bad it could be, though in that game you had 2 guys in the 4th quarter double him when he crossed half court and Ben passed him the ball while in the double team. Was a great example of something they need to change before the playoffs
fitness & will have been a much bigger part of Embiid '21 than learning. Only Olajuwon & Wilt could do more and that's pretty much been so from the gitgo. but his awesome current season fails to completely convince me that he wont curdle into boredom & diffidence if his situation irritates or otherwise distracts him. like i say, a sustainable peak has yet to be established, no matter how much we may want one to be. i been tracking these too-big-to-fail ballers for almost 60 yrs. the way they go off the rails (the reason i rate Wilt & Kareem - who phoned in an entire decade - less high than most) because it's all too easy is a very big part of who they are.

Whoever Majerle is guarding can bring it up.
Majerle was all-defense 3 times in the 90s. Everybody remembers Majerle's offense and 3 point shooting, but forgets that he was a top perimeter defender and a guy with a big body who could mix it up down low from time to time

(the reason i rate Wilt & Kareem - who phoned in an entire decade - less high than most) because it's all too easy is a very big part of who they are.
<_<  Kareem was dominant for the ENTIRETY of the 70's.  To discount that because of his play in the 80's flies wayyyyy in the face of your "peak performance" preaching throughout this contest.

His 2-year stretch from 1970-1972 is arguably the greatest 2-yr run of all time.  He was MVP both seasons, won a title in '71 and Finals MVP, had the 2 highest WS/48 seasons in history with 2 of the five highest WS seasons ever.  He averaged 33.2/16.3/3.9 and between 3-4 blocks/game (because that was his range for 7 straight seasons after they started tracking them 2 years later).  I know I didn't get to see him play during this time, but that seems about as dominant as it gets.

Majerle was all-defense 3 times in the 90s. Everybody remembers Majerle's offense and 3 point shooting, but forgets that he was a top perimeter defender and a guy with a big body who could mix it up down low from time to time
He's guarding either Dr. J (who he can't guard) or switching on a PG (who he won't be able to keep from bringing the ball up the floor).

Again, whoever Majerle is guarding can bring the ball up the floor and get it in to Hayes and Gilmore for bucket after bucket after bucket after bucket....

<_<  Kareem was dominant for the ENTIRETY of the 70's.  To discount that because of his play in the 80's flies wayyyyy in the face of your "peak performance" preaching throughout this contest.

His 2-year stretch from 1970-1972 is arguably the greatest 2-yr run of all time.  He was MVP both seasons, won a title in '71 and Finals MVP, had the 2 highest WS/48 seasons in history with 2 of the five highest WS seasons ever.  He averaged 33.2/16.3/3.9 and between 3-4 blocks/game (because that was his range for 7 straight seasons after they started tracking them 2 years later).  I know I didn't get to see him play during this time, but that seems about as dominant as it gets.
professing to know the career of Kareem Abdul Jabbar without addressing the decade of heat he took for phoning it in w the Lakers before Magic turned him around (and, yes, i know he won a couple MVPs then, Mr. Reading-Wikipedia-insert-citations-makes-me-a-historian) is like characterizing Pamela Anderson's celebrity profile, then saying "videotape? what videotape?!"

Yeah sure. But transport Bill Russell into being born in the 90s where he's allowed to use all the facilities, he actually lifts weights and does cardio, people cant punch him on the court, etc etc

#### if you took LeBron and put him in 1960 he loses the hyperbaric chamber, the $1M/yr on his body, etc. It's ridiculous to take guys exactly as they are without context.
Should we also assume that Russell suckled on the nipples of breasts filled with hormone laden milk and reacted as favorable as Lebron did to that magical juice?  Would that milk have improved his free throw shooting above what most of the folks in this thread could shoot?

Yeah sure. But transport Bill Russell into being born in the 90s where he's allowed to use all the facilities, he actually lifts weights and does cardio, people cant punch him on the court, etc etc

#### if you took LeBron and put him in 1960 he loses the hyperbaric chamber, the $1M/yr on his body, etc. It's ridiculous to take guys exactly as they are without context.
Yeah not sure how Lebron responds when Pettit knocks his front teeth through the roof of his mouth midgame (as he did to Wilt) and the refs just let the game play on. 

Lebron would handle Russell like child's play.  Russell "dominated" by being taller that most of his peers.  How does 15.1 ppg, 56 FT%, and 44% FG stack up against 27 ppg, 75%, and 50%
Completely false, the average height for a C in the 60s was 6'10". Russell was 6'10". Also I am not arguing my 60s team as is would beat any of the 2010s teams as is. My argument was that the judging for best in show wasn't about who would win in a game, it was about who constructed the best team relative to era. Otherwise, everyone would just submit their 00s and 10s teams and there would be no need to bother with the older teams. 

I wanted to address modogg's comments re: our matchup:

(1) [paraphrasing] The combo of MJ & Stockton will lead to extra steal(s)

This isn't MJ / Stockton playing against infants -or- the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. My 2 guards, each of whom have significant quality PG experience, are #28 & #83 on the career-assist list. However, based upon Yo Mama's guidance below...

Here is my plea to judge this decade like we have the others.  if you’ve been judging players based on their peak or career/decade accomplishments, do so here too (even if they are still actively playing).  We didn’t judge Shaq based on his later fat Celtics days or Kemp based on his later fat Cavs years, so try not to do that with current vets past their prime.  Likewise, I’m hoping we’re judging based on what players have actually accomplished and not projecting what hasn’t happened yet.  Guys like Petrovic and Brandon Roy had high peaks but very short careers and were ranked accordingly.  All of us (except one) saw that Greg Oden only had one good season and didn’t project a whole career at that level.
I'll concede that his guard combo will lead to a few extra steals during the course of a game/series. This is a valid point which I am coloring green to that end.

(2) [paraphrasing] Grandmama (or DC) will step into the Mailman role with Stockton -- the pick-and-roll "would elevate both of their overall career numbers".

X

What? My frontcourt-defenders have never seen/defended against a pick-and-role? Based upon Yo Mama's guidance above, the LJ/DC numbers won't get elevated at all (opposite actually). As a matter of fact, your MJ/Stockton argument is what I'll use against you -- the defensive numbers my front-court put up are not based upon hopes or speculation -- they're based upon reality.

This argument reminds me of another post which I'll attribute now from the Deadly Animal Draft.

NEW RULE:

Take note, this is important. If someone makes a pick that is against the stated rules (e.g., T Rex or 50 ants), I will not only replace their pick with some thing lame (like Bambi), but as a further penalty, I will also incapacitate one of their earlier picks... maybe a broken jaw for their hippo or sever hemerroids on their baboon... something really nasty and devistating.

There are not that many rules and all the dunderheads that can't take the time to read them will PAY.
You simultaneously give MJ/Stockton an edge, deny my front-court that same edge against your front-court  pansies.... and then have the gall to believe Grandmama is going to put up better numbers than he ever has in his career?!?!? The reason I referenced the deadly animal draft is that, while I would have liked to imagine LJ playing this matchup with a pirate's eye patch -or- a gimpy right knee,  I DON'T HAVE TO PICK A PENALTY!!11! You did that for the rest of the league when you selected LJ with a bum back!!11! This argument gets a bolded red.

Again, I welcome anyone to answer the following questions I asked here earlier:

(1) How will Modogg's team score more than higgins' squad? We all know MJ will get his (plus some) and that Stockton will have to up his scoring but his team simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to put up enough points to contend with my big-3, who rank as the #8, #12, and #27 career scoring leaders. I understand that some people may prefer to ignore career stats and go solely by their peaks BUT even IF we were to take each player's peak scoring season the result would be higgins 123.5 -to- Modogg 114.4. The ABA has the rep (deserved or not) of having less defense than the NBA. But even IF we were to take the top scoring NBA seasons for Dr J and Artis (only players that played in the ABA), the tally would still be higgins 120.2 -to- 114.4....which leads me to my next question.

(3) How is Modogg's team going to get more than a minimum of rebounds?

Ilov80s said:
 My argument was that the judging for best in show wasn't about who would win in a game, it was about who constructed the best team relative to era. Otherwise, everyone would just submit their 00s and 10s teams and there would be no need to bother with the older teams. 
Based on your criteria, the shark move would have been to use picks 1-5 on 60s era players.  Given you had years with 9 total teams, it would have been pretty easy to get the bulk of the best players.  Thank goodness for the ABA coming along and some player churn otherwise there wouldn't have been enough starting NBA players for the 16 teams here to draft.

Semifinals are complete!

Scoobus beat Gally 18-4

Higgins beat Modogg 12-10

Scoobus vs Higgins in the final tomorrow

Don’t forget to make sure your Pantheon teams are good on the spreadsheet. I’m kicking off the final round of judging tomorrow. 

wikkidpissah said:
professing to know the career of Kareem Abdul Jabbar without addressing the decade of heat he took for phoning it in w the Lakers before Magic turned him around (and, yes, i know he won a couple MVPs then, Mr. Reading-Wikipedia-insert-citations-makes-me-a-historian) is like characterizing Pamela Anderson's celebrity profile, then saying "videotape? what videotape?!"
Kind of like ignoring Walton's injuries or acting like Sabonis or Petrovic would have certainly been all-time greats if only...or, my personal favorite, that Tisdale was really a great player that suffered from being on a bad team and if you pair him with Magic Johnson he's suddenly a superstar?

He won 6 MVP's for a reason.  They called him Cap for a reason.  He's the baddest MF'er to ever roam the paint and just because he lost his heart for the game in the late 70's doesn't diminish the greatness he achieved prior.

Also stats don't lie to us like our eyes, memories and hearts.  I look at the numbers first for that very reason, even (and especially) players I've watched play.  If a player is truly great, it will eventually, over multiple 82 game seasons, make its way into the black and white world of statistics.  That's the primary reason why advanced stats were invented...to try and compare and analyze what we think our hearts and minds are telling us, that Magic and Bird and MJ are great freaking basketball players (and Kobe is a selfish #####).  Sometimes we romanticize or overvalue potential or see something great for a moment and let that overshadow the failures, miscues and mistakes.  Other times, we don't notice the subtleties that makes someone less flashy so valuable to winning (screening, never missing a rotation, boxing out, chasing loose balls, communicating with teammates, etc.) that we need advanced stats to reveal that to us as well.

I'm not ignoring the fact that Kareem hung on for a long time and coasted.  It allowed him to play until he was 40 and become the all-time leading scorer in history.  Plus, there's this rebuttal.  He's the GOAT of centers and I've got arguments more compelling against everyone else.

Semifinals are complete!

Scoobus beat Gally 18-4

Higgins beat Modogg 12-10

Scoobus vs Higgins in the final tomorrow
Good luck to Higgins and Scoobus, though HIggins' front court advantage will have a tough go at Shaq and KG compared to DC manning the middle. I hate to think that the dislike and bias against Sixers fandom crept in here, but at least Dr. J can keep it going. 

Poor MJ has had to suffer here, feel like i should trade him for the downfall. Greatest player to ever live in the NBA, and has to settle out of the top 2 for best in show. Hopefully his Pantheon push will allow him to get closer to the gold. 

higgins said:
I wanted to address modogg's comments re: our matchup:

(1) [paraphrasing] The combo of MJ & Stockton will lead to extra steal(s)

This isn't MJ / Stockton playing against infants -or- the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. My 2 guards, each of whom have significant quality PG experience, are #28 & #83 on the career-assist list. However, based upon Yo Mama's guidance below...

I'll concede that his guard combo will lead to a few extra steals during the course of a game/series. This is a valid point which I am coloring green to that end.

(2) [paraphrasing] Grandmama (or DC) will step into the Mailman role with Stockton -- the pick-and-roll "would elevate both of their overall career numbers".

X

What? My frontcourt-defenders have never seen/defended against a pick-and-role? Based upon Yo Mama's guidance above, the LJ/DC numbers won't get elevated at all (opposite actually). As a matter of fact, your MJ/Stockton argument is what I'll use against you -- the defensive numbers my front-court put up are not based upon hopes or speculation -- they're based upon reality.

This argument reminds me of another post which I'll attribute now from the Deadly Animal Draft.

You simultaneously give MJ/Stockton an edge, deny my front-court that same edge against your front-court  pansies.... and then have the gall to believe Grandmama is going to put up better numbers than he ever has in his career?!?!? The reason I referenced the deadly animal draft is that, while I would have liked to imagine LJ playing this matchup with a pirate's eye patch -or- a gimpy right knee,  I DON'T HAVE TO PICK A PENALTY!!11! You did that for the rest of the league when you selected LJ with a bum back!!11! This argument gets a bolded red.

Again, I welcome anyone to answer the following questions I asked here earlier:

(1) How will Modogg's team score more than higgins' squad? We all know MJ will get his (plus some) and that Stockton will have to up his scoring but his team simply doesn't have the offensive fire power to put up enough points to contend with my big-3, who rank as the #8, #12, and #27 career scoring leaders. I understand that some people may prefer to ignore career stats and go solely by their peaks BUT even IF we were to take each player's peak scoring season the result would be higgins 123.5 -to- Modogg 114.4. The ABA has the rep (deserved or not) of having less defense than the NBA. But even IF we were to take the top scoring NBA seasons for Dr J and Artis (only players that played in the ABA), the tally would still be higgins 120.2 -to- 114.4....which leads me to my next question.

(3) How is Modogg's team going to get more than a minimum of rebounds?
kid had my time last night, but fair analysis. This exercise is a difficult task, and certainly allows for all sorts of differing opinions. I think if we played with the current rules, half of the teams would foul out guarding Michael Jordan. 

kid had my time last night, but fair analysis. This exercise is a difficult task, and certainly allows for all sorts of differing opinions. I think if we played with the current rules, half of the teams would foul out guarding Michael Jordan. 
Hey Modogg, who do you want as your last pantheon bench player?  I want to kick that off this morning. 

Kind of like ignoring Walton's injuries or acting like Sabonis or Petrovic would have certainly been all-time greats if only...or, my personal favorite, that Tisdale was really a great player that suffered from being on a bad team and if you pair him with Magic Johnson he's suddenly a superstar?

He won 6 MVP's for a reason.  They called him Cap for a reason.  He's the baddest MF'er to ever roam the paint and just because he lost his heart for the game in the late 70's doesn't diminish the greatness he achieved prior.

Also stats don't lie to us like our eyes, memories and hearts.  I look at the numbers first for that very reason, even (and especially) players I've watched play.  If a player is truly great, it will eventually, over multiple 82 game seasons, make its way into the black and white world of statistics.  That's the primary reason why advanced stats were invented...to try and compare and analyze what we think our hearts and minds are telling us, that Magic and Bird and MJ are great freaking basketball players (and Kobe is a selfish #####).  Sometimes we romanticize or overvalue potential or see something great for a moment and let that overshadow the failures, miscues and mistakes.  Other times, we don't notice the subtleties that makes someone less flashy so valuable to winning (screening, never missing a rotation, boxing out, chasing loose balls, communicating with teammates, etc.) that we need advanced stats to reveal that to us as well.

I'm not ignoring the fact that Kareem hung on for a long time and coasted.  It allowed him to play until he was 40 and become the all-time leading scorer in history.  Plus, there's this rebuttal.  He's the GOAT of centers and I've got arguments more compelling against everyone else.
You're missing the entire point, son. The mystique of Wilt and Kareem is that they couldnt be stopped. As soon as Naismith or whoever hung up the peach baskets, it became readily apparent that, the taller you were, the better you were gonna be at this game. I remember like yesterday when my Uncle Jimmy won big at the track Saturday so, instead of sitting up with the Gallery Gods at the Gaahden, we got floor tickets one Sunday. I had really had no idea til then that these people were giants, freaks doing this awful ballet of athletics. The phenomenon evolved over the years til it kicked up one guy in the 50s and one guy in the 60s who came thiiiiis close to toppling physics with their ability. Willie & the Babe still struck out. Jim Brown and Unitas got tackled short of the goal. Records for the dash & the mile kept falling. Marciano got knocked out of the sky. But, with Wilt, with Alcindor, we had our "oh, yeah?!" on God. The Everests of athletics.

But God found players who could stop both Wilt & Kareem. Wilt & Kareem. And race. Wilt decided to enjoy the fact that white society had no way to deny that the ultimate man on earth was a black man and took the Jack Johnson route with his notoriety - flaunting it at every turn. And there was an opponent waiting for Chamberlain who didnt want his championships taken away from him but knew he couldnt stop him. The only way at Wilt was thru his ego - letting him think he was gonna have his way, then nudging him slightly off it, then a little more, and a little more until Chamberlain's regal rage would take over and either destroy his opponent or destroy himself. Four out of every six or seven times, it was himself.

If only Kareem had had a Russell. He was not as wildly skilled as Wilt, but he had worked on every one of his skills and had em down. Win 100 games in a row in high school, 99 out of a 100 in college. Then it stopped. Milwaukee got him a last-gasp superstar to get him the ball. Boom, back on course. But Oscar was old, faded fast, so they get Kareem's old UCLA caddy to get him the ball. Boom, Lucius gets injured just before the finals, Celts use double teams on their replacements, then Cousy tells Heinsohn to tell Cowens to front Kareem for a game and the Celts steal another. Boom. Get me out of here. Replaces Wilt back in LA and nothin'. Gets beat the next year by frikkin Walton. #### it.

And he had no backup, mostly because he never had Wilt's insouciance about race. Kareem saw being a Negro as similar to his height, something that brings out people's natural foolishness & venality and conspires to keep him from ever feeling at home in his skin. He retreats into religious and martial disciplines, into jazz, the sound of his people. And does enough to keep the hounds at bay and the life he chooses paid for. And he stays there til an infectious spirit from Lansing shows him a third way to be a freak. Do the beautiful thing you do for the beauty of it and enjoy it, rather than regret one of the greatest talents given to a man. Even that took a coupla years, but boom. And boom. And boom.

That they could do anything they wanted to made Wilt & Kareem MVPs without doing their best. But they did not take us to the mountaintop and that's what they were supposed to do and why their generations took them to task for it. Cant say i blame them, but neither can i credit them. A great talent who does not do his best is lesser than one who does more with less. That's sport, what keeps us coming back.

You're missing the entire point, son. The mystique of Wilt and Kareem is that they couldnt be stopped. As soon as Naismith or whoever hung up the peach baskets, it became readily apparent that, the taller you were, the better you were gonna be at this game. I remember like yesterday when my Uncle Jimmy won big at the track Saturday so, instead of sitting up with the Gallery Gods at the Gaahden, we got floor tickets one Sunday. I had really had no idea til then that these people were giants, freaks doing this awful ballet of athletics. The phenomenon evolved over the years til it kicked up one guy in the 50s and one guy in the 60s who came thiiiiis close to toppling physics with their ability. Willie & the Babe still struck out. Jim Brown and Unitas got tackled short of the goal. Records for the dash & the mile kept falling. Marciano got knocked out of the sky. But, with Wilt, with Alcindor, we had our "oh, yeah?!" on God. The Everests of athletics.

But God found players who could stop both Wilt & Kareem. Wilt & Kareem. And race. Wilt decided to enjoy the fact that white society had no way to deny that the ultimate man on earth was a black man and took the Jack Johnson route with his notoriety - flaunting it at every turn. And there was an opponent waiting for Chamberlain who didnt want his championships taken away from him but knew he couldnt stop him. The only way at Wilt was thru his ego - letting him think he was gonna have his way, then nudging him slightly off it, then a little more, and a little more until Chamberlain's regal rage would take over and either destroy his opponent or destroy himself. Four out of every six or seven times, it was himself.

If only Kareem had had a Russell. He was not as wildly skilled as Wilt, but he had worked on every one of his skills and had em down. Win 100 games in a row in high school, 99 out of a 100 in college. Then it stopped. Milwaukee got him a last-gasp superstar to get him the ball. Boom, back on course. But Oscar was old, faded fast, so they get Kareem's old UCLA caddy to get him the ball. Boom, Lucius gets injured just before the finals, Celts use double teams on their replacements, then Cousy tells Heinsohn to tell Cowens to front Kareem for a game and the Celts steal another. Boom. Get me out of here. Replaces Wilt back in LA and nothin'. Gets beat the next year by frikkin Walton. #### it.

And he had no backup, mostly because he never had Wilt's insouciance about race. Kareem saw being a Negro as similar to his height, something that brings out people's natural foolishness & venality and conspires to keep him from ever feeling at home in his skin. He retreats into religious and martial disciplines, into jazz, the sound of his people. And does enough to keep the hounds at bay and the life he chooses paid for. And he stays there til an infectious spirit from Lansing shows him a third way to be a freak. Do the beautiful thing you do for the beauty of it and enjoy it, rather than regret one of the greatest talents given to a man. Even that took a coupla years, but boom. And boom. And boom.

That they could do anything they wanted to made Wilt & Kareem MVPs without doing their best. But they did not take us to the mountaintop and that's what they were supposed to do and why their generations took them to task for it. Cant say i blame them, but neither can i credit them. A great talent who does not do his best is lesser than one who does more with😅 less. That's sport, what keeps us coming back.

YEAH, BUT ADVANCED STATS!!1!!!1

:nerd:

That they could do anything they wanted to made Wilt & Kareem MVPs without doing their best. But they did not take us to the mountaintop and that's what they were supposed to do and why their generations took them to task for it. Cant say i blame them, but neither can i credit them. A great talent who does not do his best is lesser than one who does more with less. That's sport, what keeps us coming back.
Well, now that makes more sense.

Pantheon Rosters and Timing

Writeups today and this weekend

Rankings due Monday 4/19 at 4pm pacific, 7pm eastern

Let me know asap if you have any roster changes from the below.

Modogg  - John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Connie Hawkins, Chris Bosh, Joel Embiid - Bn: Allen Iverson, Hal Greer, Rasheed Wallace

Timschochet  - Walt Frazier, James Harden, James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Wilt Chamberlain - Bn: Maurice Lucas, Vince Carter, Penny Hardaway

Wikkidpissah  - Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Bernard King, Dave Cowens, Patrick Ewing - Bn: Earl Monroe, Gus Johnson, Ben Simmons

Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Paul Pierce, G Antetokounmpo, K Abdul-Jabbar - Bn: Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, Spencer Haywood

Ilov80s  - Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Dominique Wilkins, Bob Petit, Bill Russell - Bn: Bob McAdoo, Jimmy Butler, Jack Sikma

Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Pete Maravich, LeBron James, Willis Reed, Alonzo Mourning - Bn: Kevin Love, Bill Sharman, Glen Rice

EYLive  - Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant, John Havlicek, Demarcus Cousins, Wes Unseld - Bn: Rick Barry, Bob Lanier, Shawn Marion

Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Alvin Robertson, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Nate Thurmond - Bn: Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady

Trader Jake - Mark Price, George Gervin, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, George Mikan - Bn: Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Bobby Jones

Gally - Chris Paul, Sam Jones, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard - Bn: Bob Dandridge, Dave Bing, Dolphin Schayes

Mister CIA  - Gary Payton, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Durant, Terry Cummings, Hakeem Olajuwon - Bn: Mark Aguirre, Jerry Lucas, Robert Horry

Doug B  - Steph Curry, Mitch Richmond, Paul George, Kevin McHale, David Robinson - Bn: Billy Cunningham, Walt Bellamy, Lafayette Lever

Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller, Julius Erving, Elvin Hayes, Artis Gilmore - Bn: Dikembe Mutombo, Maurice Cheeks, Eddie Jones

Scoobus  - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Chris Mullin, Kevin Garnett , Shaquille O'Neal - Bn: Carmelo Anthony, Bruce Bowen, Rudy Gobert

Kev4029  - Steve Nash, Jerry West, Dave Debusschere, Karl Malone, Bill Walton - Bn: David Thompson, Nikola Jokic, Metta World Peace

Yo Mama  - Nate Archibald, Klay Thompson, Elgin Baylor, Anthony Davis, Moses Malone - Bn: Sidney Moncrief, Robert Parish, Gail Goodrich

Yo Mama’s Pantheon Team

I think this is one of the most balanced and well put together pantheon teams in the draft.  Instead of just having an all-star team of ball-dominant players who don’t fit together on the court, I have assembled a squad of all-timers who are all superstars within their specialties on the team.

I have an elite playmaker and scorer at the point in Archibald, and all-time great shooting and scoring on the wing in Thompson and Baylor respectively.  At the four, I have a defensive unicorn in Davis who can also handle the ball, attack the rim, and even stretch the floor offensively.  Down low, I have one of the great centers of all time in 3-time MVP Moses to control the paint.  Off the bench, I can bring in either elite perimeter defense from Moncrief or elite scoring from Goodrich, and can bring in Parish as a reserve big who can slide in easily next to Davis or Malone and provide no drop off in defense or interior toughness.

All of my players are hall of famers aside from my two active players, and Davis has a 99% likelihood to make the HOF (Thompson is at 51%).

Starters

PG - Nate "Tiny" Archibald

Peak (6 Years) - 27p, 3r, 9a, 2stl

Recognition - HOF, 5 all nba, 6 all star

SG - Klay Thompson

Peak (5+ Years) - 22p, 4r, 2a, 1stl, 1blk, 3 threes, 47/42/86

Recognition - 3 champ, 2 all nba, 5 all star, 1 all d

SF - Elgin Baylor

Peak (12 Years) - 28p, 14r, 4a

Recognition - HOF, 10 all nba, 11 all star

PF - Anthony Davis

Peak (8+ Years) - 25p, 11r, 2a, 1stl, 2blk, 1 three

Recognition - 1 champ, 4 all nba, 8 all star, 4 all d

C - Moses Malone

Peak (12 Years) - 26p, 14r, 2a, 1stl, 2blk

Recognition - HOF, 1 champ (FMVP), 3 MVP, 8 all nba, 12 all star, 2 all d

Bench

PG - Sidney Moncrief

Peak (5 Years) - 21p, 6r, 5a, 2stl

Recognition - HOF, 2 DPOY, 5 all nba, 5 all star, 5 all d

SG - Gail Goodrich

Peak (7 Years) - 23p, 4r, 6a, 2stl

Recognition - HOF, 1 champ, 1 all nba, 5 all star

C - Robert Parish

Peak (11 Years) - 18p, 11r, 2a, 1stl, 2blk

Recognition - HOF, 4 champ, 2 all nba, 9 all star

Combined accomplishments – 6 HOF (with 1 more a lock), 10 champs, 3 MVP, 2 DPOY, 37 all nba, 61 all star, 12 all defense

higgins’ Pantheon squad

Read thru & let me know of any weakness – in which area is this team not dominant? I wanna hear it.

Career rankings of Pantheon squad

PG -- Russell Westbrook

SG -- Reggie Miller

SF -- Dr. J

PF -- Elvin Hayes

C -- Artis Gilmore

------------

C/PF -- Dikembe Mutombo

PG -- Maurice Cheeks

SG/SF -- Eddie Jones

------------

Let’s start with the obvious:          if you think Westbrook will be too toxic/selfish, think again. After Cheeks briefly replaces him, Artis/Elvin will give Russ a menacing glare with Dikembe behind them wagging his finger. Another thing:  in 8-yrs playing with KD.... Russ only led the Thunder in scoring once.

Defense

First of all, I’d like you to notice the defensive rankings. Either Dikembe or Artis (#2 and #4 in blocks) will be there at all times, other than when both are in at the same time to give Elvin a breather. The starters include 3/30 of the top shot blockers –and— 3/50 of the best at steals. But, I’d also ask you to notice that the bench includes the #2 shot blocker and the #5 and #31 at steals.

I’m sorry….

Rebounding

Includes the #5, #6, #21 and #35 in career rebounds.

Passing

The #13 and #14 in career assists is amazing for one team; but, this may be the moment to point out that all of Westbrook’s stats are moving up the ranks since he’s still playing (only 32 y.o.).

Offense & Points

We’ll be able to play multiple sets/styles and tempos with Russ (or Cheeks) leading the O.

My starters are the #8, #12, #24, #27 and #42 in career points w/ #42 rising significantly in coming years. Not all will be called upon to lead in scoring (I'm looking at you, Artis & Russ); but they'll all be there when necessary.

^ I may add more detail depending on how free I'll be over the wknd

Bench

I singled out each of my bench players for their ability to play defense at their respective positions. Dikembe is Dikembe. Eddie Jones is a great defender at swing G/F (#31 in steals) who can also shoot from outside (#32 in 3’s). Cheeks is the traditional PG alternative to Russ, and is an all-time great (#14 assists, #5 steals).

Again, please let me know of any weakness – in which area is this team not dominant? I wanna hear it.

Mister CIA  - Gary Payton, Robert Horry, Kevin Durant, Jerry Lucas, Hakeem Olajuwon - Bn: Manu Ginobili, Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings
I don't think it matters but Cummings is my starter and Horry comes off the bench to clinch.

Modogg  - John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Connie Hawkins, Chris Bosh, Joel Embiid - Bn: Allen Iverson, Hal Greer, Rasheed Wallace

Timschochet  - Walt Frazier, James Harden, James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Wilt Chamberlain - Bn: Maurice Lucas, Vince Carter, Penny Hardaway

Wikkidpissah  - Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Bernard King, Dave Cowens, Patrick Ewing - Bn: Earl Monroe, Gus Johnson, Ben Simmons

Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Paul Pierce, G Antetokounmpo, K Abdul-Jabbar - Bn: Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, Spencer Haywood

Ilov80s  - Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Dominique Wilkins, Bob Petit, Bill Russell - Bn: Bob McAdoo, Jimmy Butler, Jack Sikma

Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Pete Maravich, LeBron James, Willis Reed, Alonzo Mourning - Bn: Kevin Love, Bill Sharman, Glen Rice

EYLive  - Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant, John Havlicek, Demarcus Cousins, Wes Unseld - Bn: Rick Barry, Bob Lanier, Shawn Marion

Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Alvin Robertson, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Nate Thurmond - Bn: Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady

Trader Jake - Mark Price, George Gervin, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, George Mikan - Bn: Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Bobby Jones

Gally - Chris Paul, Sam Jones, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard - Bn: Bob Dandridge, Dave Bing, Dan Issel

Mister CIA  - Gary Payton, Robert Horry, Kevin Durant, Jerry Lucas, Hakeem Olajuwon - Bn: Manu Ginobili, Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings

Doug B  - Steph Curry, Mitch Richmond, Paul George, Kevin McHale, David Robinson - Bn: Billy Cunningham, Walt Bellamy, Lafayette Lever

Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller, Julius Erving, Elvin Hayes, Artis Gilmore - Bn: Dikembe Mutombo, Maurice Cheeks, Eddie Jones

Scoobus  - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Chris Mullin, Kevin Garnett , Shaquille O'Neal - Bn: Carmelo Anthony, Bruce Bowen, Rudy Gobert

Kev4029  - Steve Nash, Jerry West, Dave Debusschere, Karl Malone, Bill Walton - Bn: David Thompson, Nikola Jokic, Metta World Peace

Yo Mama  - Nate Archibald, Klay Thompson, Elgin Baylor, Anthony Davis, Moses Malone - Bn: Sidney Moncrief, Robert Parish, Gail Goodrich
I changed Issel to Dolph Schayes

Cummings as a SG?
Friday Night Math

Starting: Payton, Ginobili, Durant, Cummings, Olajuwon

Bench: Horry, Lucas, Aguirre.

It would be nice if I could slide Strickland at guard off the bench too for my #9 (and Horace Grant at #10, while we're at it), but I understand a lot of pantheon teams fall off a cliff after about eight players and that it would give me an unfair advantage.

Gally - Chris Paul, Sam Jones, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard - Bn: Bob Dandridge, Dave Bing, Dolphin Schayes

Mister CIA  - Gary Payton, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Durant, Terry Cummings, Hakeem Olajuwon - Bn: Mark Aguirre, Jerry Lucas, Robert Horry

Moar updates

Good luck to Higgins and Scoobus, though HIggins' front court advantage will have a tough go at Shaq and KG compared to DC manning the middle. I hate to think that the dislike and bias against Sixers fandom crept in here, but at least Dr. J can keep it going. 

Poor MJ has had to suffer here, feel like i should trade him for the downfall. Greatest player to ever live in the NBA, and has to settle out of the top 2 for best in show. Hopefully his Pantheon push will allow him to get closer to the gold. 
You got jobbed.  The team that got advanced over you garnered one vote in the finals.  

Feels like we’re running out of steam around here lately.  Just a couple more days before we’re done with the rankings!

Users who are viewing this thread