What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

Yo Mama

Footballguy
***** YO MAMA’S ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT *****

DRAFT ORDER (pending final swaps)

1 - Modogg 

2 - Timschochet 

3 - Wikkidpissah 

4 - Jayrod 

5 - Ilov80s 

6 - Frosty 

7 - EYLive 

8 - Instinctive 

9 - Trader Jake

10 - Gally

11 - Mister CIA 

12 - Doug B 

13 - Higgins 

14 - Scoobus 

15 - Kev4029 

16 - Yo Mama 

Clock will be 1 hour from 7am Pacific to 5pm Pacific (West Coast Bias), starting Monday3/8.  Clock will be off on weekends, but it's nice if you can check in from time to time if you're close.

Link to the google spreadsheet here.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you define the greatest basketball players of all time?  Is it peak performance or sustained greatness?  Are RINGZZZ all that matter?  How do the current day players match up against the legends of the game?  All of those questions will be answered and all debate will be put to rest in this epic draft.

THE DRAFT

Every drafter will select a five man squad for each of the following six eras / decades:

1960s (and prior)

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s (and beyond)

We don’t need to be super tight on the position eligibility like in a fantasy draft, but teams should have balance and should try to follow traditional lineups.  In other words, if you are starting a SG at point your team might get dinged in the judging for not having enough ball handling.  If you start a PF at center, how will you be able match up against the behemoths of the era, etc.  Era lineups should also try to follow the style of play in those time periods (more on that in the judging).

For players that cross eras, you get credit for their full careers but the players need to be placed according to their “best” years or judges will be asked to discount that player in their rankings.  For example, a player had their best seven years in the 1970s and had three lesser years in the 1980s as they got older – if that player got placed on a 1980s roster we will all laugh at them and lower our rankings for said player accordingly.  If a career is fairly close between decades, the drafter can decide where to place them with no penalty.  Feel free to debate and support your decisions – that why we here.

This is meant to be an NBA/ABA draft, so college and other (foreign) league accomplishments can be referenced, but shouldn’t be considered in the judging.

JUDGING

Some of the frustrations with judging in other drafts is people not knowing what the criteria will be when drafting and then a judge comes in with their own ideas of what is important (like what has “menace”, or “I haven’t heard of this one before so I’m going to rank it last”), and then everyone gets mad.  In this draft, I’ll try to set some judging criteria in advance, but the key here will be participation of the drafters in the judging process.  Every drafter will agree to help judge at least 3 of the era categories as well as the 2 “post-season” rankings.  This will give more consensus, but more importantly will help smooth out the differences in opinion on what is valued higher – peak versus longevity, stats versus championships, all-stars and all-NBA selections versus Emmys (sorry, wrong draft).  Guest non-drafter judges are also welcome to contribute to any rankings.  I will consolidate all the rankings submissions unless others want to help tally the different category rankings.  Sorry if I’m being overly anal about the process, I just figured it would be helpful for everyone to have a framework for judging before we start drafting.

REGULAR SEASON / DECADE RANKINGS

We will rank each decade separately, with the top ranked team getting the 16 points and the last placed team getting one point.  We’ll then add all the points together to determine the regular season champion.  Judges should try to focus on what team was “better” in that particular time period, not necessarily which team would perform better in today’s game.

POSTSEASON #1 – BEST IN SHOW (DOUBLE POINTS)

Everyone will chose the favorite of their era teams to compete in Best In Show rankings.  Same scoring process as the regular season rankings (16 down to 1 if we have 16 drafters), but points will count DOUBLE.

POSTSEASON #2 – ALL-TIME / PANTHEON TEAMS (TRIPLE POINTS)

With all the players drafted for their era teams, each drafter will create an 8-man All-Time / Pantheon team (5 starters, 3 bench).  Points for these rankings will count TRIPLE.

In.

I know very little pre-90s, but I’ll do it.

The goal is to create the best team right, not just get the best person at each position in the specified era?

In.

I know very little pre-90s, but I’ll do it.

The goal is to create the best team right, not just get the best person at each position in the specified era?
Correct, you’re drafting 30 players (5 man teams for the 6 eras). 

You’ll also be making an all-time 8 man squad (out of your 30 players) that will count triple in the standings. 

In.

The first time we did this, I believe I finished in 4th place.

And I took that personally.

:coffee:
Huh, for some reason I don’t remember us finishing the judging for that one - unless there were more than one nba draft. 

Years ago we did a draft. I think the guy who set it up was no 16 or jmon. 
we were able to trade picks and at the end of the draft was the rookie draft. I can not find that thread. Anyone have a link for that. 

Huh, for some reason I don’t remember us finishing the judging for that one - unless there were more than one nba draft. 
It was the 2010 one that Doug B just mentioned.
It wasn't judging as it was done in newer TimDrafts. There was a playoff bracket set up and separate threads represented each playoff series. The FFA voted on the result of each series -- Team X in 7, Team Y in 5, etc.

However ... I think the ultimate championship was decided by @Ferris Bueller Fan and a few of his offline friends (who were working NBA writers at the time?). Here's a link to where Ferris gets started on the title series between @BobbyLayne and myself (scroll down and read the next page and half). The writeups were golden and great fun to be a part of.

Years ago we did a draft. I think the guy who set it up was no 16 or jmon. 
we were able to trade picks and at the end of the draft was the rookie draft. I can not find that thread. Anyone have a link for that. 
I think that sounds like one of our what if sports drafts where did a simulated season after the nba season. 

It wasn't judging as it was done in newer TimDrafts. There was a playoff bracket set up and separate threads represented each playoff series. The FFA voted on the result of each series -- Team X in 7, Team Y in 5, etc.

However ... I think the ultimate championship was decided by @Ferris Bueller Fan and a few of his offline friends (who were working NBA writers at the time?). Here's a link to where Ferris gets started on the title series between @BobbyLayne and myself (scroll down and read the next page and half). The writeups were golden and great fun to be a part of.
Well then that's not the one I'm thinking of.  The one I remember was scored by ranking in each category.  A judge ranked the category 1-16 and 1st got 16 pts, 2nd got 15 pts, etc.

This may have been even earlier than 2010.

Ah, now it’s coming back to me (too much of the weed between then and now). It’s funny, I can still remember my all-time team from that draft, but don’t remember how we finished up.   I’m sure I would have remembered if I had won though. 

I remember being stoked when Dr J fell to me in the 2nd round.  I ended up having to pair Moses Malone and Patrick Ewing on my All-Time team.  I also remember reluctantly pulling the trigger on Bruce Bowen in the later rounds.

would prefer it be a BASKETBALL draft, tho - there are great Euros who played their best before entering the American professional game. but no biggie, jus input

would prefer it be a BASKETBALL draft, tho - there are great Euros who played their best before entering the American professional game. but no biggie, jus input
Yeah I thought about it, but I think it’s going to be too hard to extrapolate what they would have done in the NBA if they were here in their prime (especially a couple that never made it over here). I’m open if people are fine doing that though. 

I think I'm in, but will need to give some sort of comms ability (e.g., phone number) to the people on either side probably if we plan to move fast.

Questions: Is there a "2000s LeBron" and a "1980s Kareem" and the like, or is it ALL of Kareem and you can put him on whichever decade teams you want?

I slightly flubbed the link — go to the middle of page 58 to read Ferris’ all-time write-up of the title series.

I think I'm in, but will need to give some sort of comms ability (e.g., phone number) to the people on either side probably if we plan to move fast.

Questions: Is there a "2000s LeBron" and a "1980s Kareem" and the like, or is it ALL of Kareem and you can put him on whichever decade teams you want?
We could work something out for a text, but we wouldn’t go any faster than a one hour clock. 

If you took Kareem, you get his whole career and could put him in either you 70s team or your 80s team since he played plenty in both decades and was great in both. 

If someone had their best 7 years in the 90s, and their 3 years in the 00s weren’t very good, that player should be put in the 90s. If it’s fairly close, you could choose either decade. 

We could work something out for a text, but we wouldn’t go any faster than a one hour clock. 

If you took Kareem, you get his whole career and could put him in either you 70s team or your 80s team since he played plenty in both decades and was great in both. 

If someone had their best 7 years in the 90s, and their 3 years in the 00s weren’t very good, that player should be put in the 90s. If it’s fairly close, you could choose either decade. 
So no doubling up I mean? Like if I take Kareem, I have to choose, I can't put him on two of my squads is what I'm getting at. Or Vince Carter.

Placeholder

Who’s In (not draft order)

1 - Yo Mama (Lakers only)

2 - Scoobus (Orangemen only)

3 - Jayrod (Celtics only)

4 - Ilov80s (one decade will be really strong)

5 - Doug B (Pelicans only)

6 - Wikkidpissah (obscure Celtics)

7 - Modogg (we know it’s really Sixers)

8 - Instinctive (Thunder only dot com)

9 - Frosty (WOLVES!!!)

10 - Kev4029 (Nugs?)

11 - Mister CIA (Spurs)
BOOM!  We’re already up to 11!

Placeholder

Who’s In (not draft order)

1 - Yo Mama (Lakers only)

2 - Scoobus (Orangemen only)

3 - Jayrod (Celtics only)

4 - Ilov80s (one decade will be really strong)

5 - Doug B (Pelicans only)

6 - Wikkidpissah (obscure Celtics)

7 - Modogg (we know it’s really Sixers)

8 - Instinctive (Thunder only dot com)

9 - Frosty (WOLVES!!!)

10 - Kev4029 (Nugs?)

11 - Mister CIA (Spurs)
People aren't really only drafting players from those teams, are they? :oldunsure:  
How many drafters are you looking for?

Yeah I just took a guess with your team of choice. 
I like the Pelicans, but did not grow up with them ... so I really only follow them casually. My team when I was little was the New Orleans Jazz. Before ESPN and way before the Net, I lost track of them for several years after leaving N.O. Picked back up with them for the Stockton-Malone era (it helped that they kept the New Orleans/Mardi Gras-colored unis for a good 15 years after leaving). Haven't really followed any team all that closely since the late 1990s ... maybe the Chris Paul/David West Hornets when they were making shallow playoff runs.

Half-baked thought, a sixth-man option might be nice.  Would not mind a Robert Horry type player on my roster come the playoffs.

ETA: Might create an interesting dynamic for players that span decades. Not gonna name names, but one player leaps to mind (bad foot and all).

Half-baked thought, a sixth-man option might be nice.  Would not mind a Robert Horry type player on my roster come the playoffs.
Thought about a three-man bench, actually. Though the 2010 NBA draft that I linked upthread didn't have benches for the Decades teams ... just for the Pantheon teams.

Thought about a three-man bench, actually. Though the 2010 NBA draft that I linked upthread didn't have benches for the Decades teams ... just for the Pantheon teams.
If we don’t have too many teams we can add a sixth man to the decades teams. We do have 3 bench players for your all time / pantheon teams. 

Users who are viewing this thread