What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (6 Viewers)

3.06 SG Pete Maravich, 1970s

Looking at my overall squad, I have Cousy and Lebron. They excel at getting to the rim and either scoring or dishing. So we need a guy who can take those passes and either hit an open jumper or score in the paint. Who was better at that than Pistol Pete? Cousy, Pistol Pete, and Lebron.  I weep for your teams.
Team building is interesting. Greatest college player ever. Greatest player to never play college. 

I'm dumbfounded at the rate with which the 70s players are flying off the board.  Thought I would sneak some value out of that decade.

3.06 SG Pete Maravich, 1970s

Looking at my overall squad, I have Cousy and Lebron. They excel at getting to the rim and either scoring or dishing. So we need a guy who can take those passes and either hit an open jumper or score in the paint. Who was better at that than Pistol Pete? Cousy, Pistol Pete, and Lebron.  I weep for your teams.
Your team is going to average more assists per game than points.

Cousy and the Pistol will try to top each other with how well they'll give the ball to someone else to score. Cousy will win, though, since Pistol had too much of a knack for putting the ball in the hoop all by himself.
I know exactly the two types of players I need to complete my ulitmate 5. Looking forward to every single option of those types of players going before my next pick and ending up with Jake Layman. 

3.07 - Rick Barry - SF, lets go ahead and say 1970's
12 time All-Star
1966 Rookie of the Year
1 time NBA Champ & won Finals MVP in 1975
Lead the NCAA, ABA and NBA in scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
3.08 Kawhi Leonard SF 10s

To pair with Oscar and Dirk? Possibly the greatest era-immune offensive pairing to date thus far?! Obviously I need more offense. But also defense. Thus Kawhi. The original 3 and D prototype, he can shoot. He can pass. He can iso. He can absolutely lock people down. If I were drafting people only to defend against greats like MJ, West, Bird, Magic...Kawhi would be among the very top picks - and after LeBron, he's far and away the best offensive player of the bunch IMO. He's clutch. He can play within a team and lead one. He can spot up as well as he can initiate everything.

Here are the players who have been a Finals MVP and the defensive player of the year:

Michael Jordan

Hakeem Olajuwan

Kawhi Leonard

Here are the players who have been (in my opinion, feel free to throw out a miss) the best player on two different championship teams (franchises):

LeBron

Shaq

Kareem

Kawhi

That's the whole list.

Also, while I will avoid going on a full blown Dwyane Wade rant, I am shocked that @Jayrod, who I feel like I so often agree with on basketball topics, would take him over Kawhi. Or a bunch of other guys left. Dwyane Wade is incredibly overrated, could never win on his own, was never the best player on a contending team, wasn't that good at defense, and got one championship on the back of David Stern, Tim Donaghy, and Shaq with the rest from LeBron. Worst pick of the draft so far. Even his All-NBA selections are just down years for the league at the guard spots.

Obviously he's really good. Obviously I'm biased. But this thread needs a little more ranting and trash talking. It can't just be Frosty saying crazy things, so I'll provide some company.

3.09 George Gervin – SG 1970s

The Iceman may be the best nickname in all of professional basketball, and he deserved it as a 9 time all NBA-ABA selection and Hall of Famer.  His finger roll is in competition with Kareem’s Skyhook as the most signature shot in basketball history.  Pantheon teams better have defense at SG or they’re going to get run out of the building. #44

Last edited by a moderator:

The Iceman may be the best nickname in all of professional basketball, and he deserved it as a 9 time all NBA-ABA selection and Hall of Famer.  His finger roll is in competition with Kareem’s Skyhook as the most signature shot in basketball history.  Pantheon teams better have defense at SG or they’re going to get run out of the building.

Damn, I was starting to hope he’d last a little longer

The Iceman may be the best nickname in all of professional basketball, and he deserved it as a 9 time all NBA-ABA selection and Hall of Famer.  His finger roll is in competition with Kareem’s Skyhook as the most signature shot in basketball history.  Pantheon teams better have defense at SG or they’re going to get run out of the building.

the best player ever to come out of the the Ann Arbor-Ypsi area, irregardless of anything 

3.10 - Chris Paul - PG/2010's

I needed a floor general to control the game and get the ball to Duncan.  Teams will have a hard time scoring against the start of this team with Paul, Pippin, and Duncan on board.

Career highlights and awards

11× NBA All-Star (2008–2016, 2020, 2021)

NBA All-Star Game MVP (2013)

4× All-NBA First Team (2008, 2012–2014)

4× All-NBA Second Team (2009, 2015, 2016, 2020)

All-NBA Third Team (2011)

7× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2009, 2012–2017)

2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2008, 2011)

NBA Rookie of the Year (2006)

NBA All-Rookie First Team (2006)

4× NBA assists leader (2008, 2009, 2014, 2015)

6× NBA steals leader (2008, 2009, 2011–2014)

Consensus first-team All-American (2005)

First-team All-ACC (2005)

Third-team All-ACC (2004)

ACC Rookie of the Year (2004)

USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2004)

No. 3 retired by Wake Forest Demon Deacons

First-team Parade All-American (2003)

McDonald's All-American (2003)

North Carolina Mr. Basketball (2003)

the best player ever to come out of the the Ann Arbor-Ypsi area, irregardless of anything 
Nice! 😀

Last year, just before the pandemic shut down the world, my son and I took a road trip to see the next great Ypsi player hoop in person - Emoni Bates.  He's ridiculous and I'm so glad we made the trek to see him play.  He's a high school Kevin Durant in the making if I've ever seen one.   Last year we also watched high schoolers Jalen Johnson (just left Duke) and Patrick Baldwin Jr (yet to declare school) play and they have nothin' on Bates.  That kid is legit.  Hell, I may draft him in the last round. 😉

Nice! 😀

Last year, just before the pandemic shut down the world, my son and I took a road trip to see the next great Ypsi player hoop in person - Emoni Bates.  He's ridiculous and I'm so glad we made the trek to see him play.  He's a high school Kevin Durant in the making if I've ever seen one.   Last year we also watched high schoolers Jalen Johnson (just left Duke) and Patrick Baldwin Jr (yet to declare school) play and they have nothin' on Bates.  That kid is legit.  Hell, I may draft him in the last round. 😉
EMONEY 

Also, while I will avoid going on a full blown Dwyane Wade rant, I am shocked that @Jayrod, who I feel like I so often agree with on basketball topics, would take him over Kawhi. Or a bunch of other guys left. Dwyane Wade is incredibly overrated, could never win on his own, was never the best player on a contending team, wasn't that good at defense, and got one championship on the back of David Stern, Tim Donaghy, and Shaq with the rest from LeBron. Worst pick of the draft so far. Even his All-NBA selections are just down years for the league at the guard spots.

Obviously he's really good. Obviously I'm biased. But this thread needs a little more ranting and trash talking. It can't just be Frosty saying crazy things, so I'll provide some company.
I too used to be ignorant of D-Wade's greatness until I looked deeper into 2006. :D

First of all, even MJ needed Pippen.  I used to think that Shaq was the true leader on that championship Heat team.  But I was dead wrong.  Wade was an absolute beast that season and the entire postseason.  Shaq was already on the decline and Wade won that ring as THE alpha dog (and has the Finals MVP to show for it).

Wade appeared in 13 All-star games, was All-D 3 times, was all-NBA 8 times and won 2 more rings as a great #2 option along side LeBron.  He was also easily the best SG left on the board.

I thought long and hard about Wade vs Leonard vs Paul, but ultimately I needed the best "go get a bucket" guy of the three, and at his peak that was absolutely the Flash.  Leonard was close and I wanted his defense, but I'm already stacked at D in the paint and there will be more perimeter stoppers available by my next pick.  I don't think I can say the same about elite scorers.

3.08 Kawhi Leonard SF 10s

To pair with Oscar and Dirk? Possibly the greatest era-immune offensive pairing to date thus far?! Obviously I need more offense. But also defense. Thus Kawhi. The original 3 and D prototype, he can shoot. He can pass. He can iso. He can absolutely lock people down. If I were drafting people only to defend against greats like MJ, West, Bird, Magic...Kawhi would be among the very top picks - and after LeBron, he's far and away the best offensive player of the bunch IMO. He's clutch. He can play within a team and lead one. He can spot up as well as he can initiate everything.

Here are the players who have been a Finals MVP and the defensive player of the year:

Michael Jordan

Hakeem Olajuwan

Kawhi Leonard

Here are the players who have been (in my opinion, feel free to throw out a miss) the best player on two different championship teams (franchises):

LeBron

Shaq

Kareem

Kawhi

That's the whole list.
Love this team so far. dont screw it up.

First of all how dare you. 

Second all of all i'm tired and going to bed. 

Wade was no Tony Allen, but he was always a highly regarded defender through his prime. The Bosh/Lebron/Wade teams (as well as the Shaq team) were equally stout on defense as they were talented on offense. Not that I put a ton of stock on all defense teams, but he made three of them and I believe he is the all time leader in blocks from the guard positions (I didn't look this up to confirm).

Regarding the Wade vs Shaq debate on that team, I think it's pretty clear that Wade was the better player at that point. Sure, Shaq was first team All-NBa while Wade was 2nd team, but the center position was awful at that time of the NBA (especially since Duncan was still parading as a PF). He had more MVP votes (Shaq didn't get a single vote) and Wade won finals MVP on 35 pts/8 reb/4 ast/3 stls/1 blk.

Wade was no Tony Allen, but he was always a highly regarded defender through his prime. The Bosh/Lebron/Wade teams (as well as the Shaq team) were equally stout on defense as they were talented on offense. Not that I put a ton of stock on all defense teams, but he made three of them and I believe he is the all time leader in blocks from the guard positions (I didn't look this up to confirm).

Regarding the Wade vs Shaq debate on that team, I think it's pretty clear that Wade was the better player at that point. Sure, Shaq was first team All-NBa while Wade was 2nd team, but the center position was awful at that time of the NBA (especially since Duncan was still parading as a PF). He had more MVP votes (Shaq didn't get a single vote) and Wade won finals MVP on 35 pts/8 reb/4 ast/3 stls/1 blk.
All good points, but counterpoint: Dwyane Wade sucks and I hate Dwyane Wade. And he lied to his friends and gave his old Heat person a dunk contest win he didn't deserve.

All good points, but counterpoint: Dwyane Wade sucks and I hate Dwyane Wade. And he lied to his friends and gave his old Heat person a dunk contest win he didn't deserve.
Fair. Fewer allegations of rape than at least a couple drafted ahead of him and a more likable person than Rick Barry or Isiah Thomas though.

Users who are viewing this thread