What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (3 Viewers)

Man, i am all over the place with who to grab. Few guys i wanted bad went recently. I really was hoping to grab guys i like as players, but this next one i will bite the bullet a bit. 

2.16  John Stockton  -  looking through all of these guys, i just couldn't get over Stockton's numbers. I think he may have even possibly been better then Magic. 

2nd overall in assists per game - and this is with really only having Karl Malone as a main guy to pass to. Pretty amazing considering his supporting cast

7th overall in steals/game:  i know Stockton had fast hands and was not a slouch on defense, but was surprised he averaged 2.2. steals/game over his career for 7th overall in NBA history. Never would have guessed he was that high

lot of stats that can be up up for this guy:

Per Game: 13.1 points, 10.5 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 2.2 steals

Per 75 Possessions: 15.7 points, 12.6 assists, 3.2 rebounds, 2.6 steals

Relative True Shooting Percentage: +7.6

Net Rating Swing: N/A

Box Plus/Minus: +3.5

i bet he would have scored more if he didn't facilitate so much, and think he can be argued to be a top 25 player of all time.  

Now i desperately need a big guy, but not sure.....  need little more time

Last edited by a moderator:
Desperately need a big, but then i remember this guy would tear up all the small, medium and big guys for the first 2/3 of his career. Went against the best defenders, and practically whole teams by himself, and still was able to take his tem to a Finals run. Got no help from the organization and had to shoulder an entire team by himself over and over. Best thing he got was a Dikembe Mutumbo years after his prime.

3.1 Allen Iverson -  can't find a good write up for him, but easily a top 5-6 player in the 2000's. 

- Smallest guy on the court, yet he is top 6 all time in points per game. Behind guys much bigger, who had a lot of help around them

- few spots ahead of Stockton on all time list of steals per game at 2.2 That back court would be just insane. 

- think it can't be under-stated how little support he had. Give him Shaq like Lakers were able to get and Iverson would be seen as better than Kobe by a wide margin

- ANd if the issue is he just shot a bunch like hero ball, it would be completely wrong. He  has an impressive efficiency number as well, that i unfortunately can't find right here.

Was concerned about my patheon team, but thinking about a legit line-up on a playoff run, Iverson would be far be the top 6th man of any team and could easily lead a unit by himself if he needed too

ETA: crap, not sure if i want him in as a PG or SG just yet. can i slot him as a G, with a little flexibility?

According to Invision:  CurrentlyViewing Topic: Great NBA Draft
lol, got it open in another window and i have yet to shut it down. Not sure why, i looked and disagree with some of the top picks over there. 

Still kicking myself missing Barkley and Malone. Would have paired nicely with Mike, but we will go small ball for now and see how the chips fall. Can't think of any team on the board with a better guard set-up then the 3 i got right now

lol, got it open in another window and i have yet to shut it down. Not sure why, i looked and disagree with some of the top picks over there. 

Still kicking myself missing Barkley and Malone. Would have paired nicely with Mike, but we will go small ball for now and see how the chips fall. Can't think of any team on the board with a better guard set-up then the 3 i got right now
Never too early to snatch up your first bench player for your pantheon team

I am a huge Iverson fan, but that guy does not work at all with Stockton and MJ, imo. 
maybe. a back court of Stockton and Iverson would have at least 5 steals a game, and i can't see how those 2 couldn't make it work. 

Iverson has also played PG in his time in the league, and can feed and facilitate if he has guys on the team that can shoot

ETA: he is also, undoubtedly the top 6th man we will have in the pantheon teams. Can you think of a better player to come off the bench with whoever is on the floor and dominate?

maybe. a back court of Stockton and Iverson would have at least 5 steals a game, and i can't see how those 2 couldn't make it work. 

Iverson has also played PG in his time in the league, and can feed and facilitate if he has guys on the team that can shoot

ETA: he is also, undoubtedly the top 6th man we will have in the pantheon teams. Can you think of a better player to come off the bench with whoever is on the floor and dominate?
Definitely a great defensive duo, and yes, he's perfect for 6th man in this. 

I'm not really criticizing the pick, just not sure of the fit with the 3 of them. 

Definitely a great defensive duo, and yes, he's perfect for 6th man in this. 

I'm not really criticizing the pick, just not sure of the fit with the 3 of them. 
i can think of a perfect pairing for Iverson if i need it. He is a current PG in the league, and just so happens to play for the Sixers  :ph34r:

3.03 Patrick Ewing C 90s

The Knicks argued with the Bulls & Pacers for Eastern supremacy during arguably basketball's best era and werent no one else even close to AllStar on that team that Patrick didn't make em so. He hauled the only worthy squad in the best basketball town in the world's last 50 yrs like Atlas. He did it with the first perfectly-proportioned body i ever saw on a 7 footer. I had some floor seats to those teams and marveled that he ran without height being a factor in his locomotion. everything else he learned hard & well. proud to have him in the middle

@Jayrod

3.03 Patrick Ewing C 90s

The Knicks argued with the Bulls & Pacers for Eastern supremacy during arguably basketball's best era and werent no one else even close to AllStar on that team that Patrick didn't make em so. He hauled the only worthy squad in the best basketball town in the world's last 50 yrs like Atlas. He did it with the first perfectly-proportioned body i ever saw on a 7 footer. I had some floor seats to those teams and marveled that he ran without height being a factor in his locomotion. everything else he learned hard & well. proud to have him in the middle

@Jayrod
Hated this guy. 

3.03 Patrick Ewing C 90s

@Jayrod
Damn I thought he'd come back to me. 

3.03 Patrick Ewing C 90s

@Jayrod
i though about him, needing a C as bad as i did, but looking into his numbers closer and all of the other Centers still out there i can think of a few who can match up well against him. i'm not sure what i'm missing, but just don't know how some of these centers would match-up with some of the C's today like a KAT or some of them

Never too early to snatch up your first bench player for your pantheon team
less so a bench player. As coach of my pantheon team i prefer rotating guys regularly and mixing my line-ups. Starting is such a high school thing, matters more who is on the floor to finish the game 

ETA: Jordan also played SF for some of his career. i don't remember the details, but he could technically play the 3 with Stockton and Iverson in the back court

i though about him, needing a C as bad as i did, but looking into his numbers closer and all of the other Centers still out there i can think of a few who can match up well against him. i'm not sure what i'm missing, but just don't know how some of these centers would match-up with some of the C's today like a XXX or some of them
Pulled a Jayrod

Instinctive said:
I appreciate your good-naturedness. Sorry to make you the namesake, meant in good fun!
Oh, I know.  I'm having fun with it.  The first time was simple naivety, the second time was carelessness. 

modogg said:
i though about him, needing a C as bad as i did, but looking into his numbers closer and all of the other Centers still out there i can think of a few who can match up well against him. i'm not sure what i'm missing, but just don't know how some of these centers would match-up with some of the C's today like a KAT or some of them
Fun to imagine a MJ-Stockton-Ewing anchored team given their peaks coincided.

Will pick in a few. My 3 choices all just went. I wanted Stockton running the pick and roll with Petit.

modogg said:
 i'm not sure what i'm missing, but just don't know how some of these centers would match-up with some of the C's today like a XXX or some of them
Ewing's Knicks went toe-to-toe w the Jordan Bulls for Eastern supremacy with no better a supporting cast than XXX ever had in achieving his .388 lifetime or whatever. Cant say would Ewing have developed skills for the trey game any more than that XXX could ever play an honest post. but when was the last time XXX had a stop of any kind? dude's a genius crossing guard, dunno if my guy can keep up with that...

Took me a minute to figure out that "pulling a Jayrod" meant spotlighting, and not holding up the draft after exhibiting impatience with another holding up the draft. 
Ok, now THIS I take exception with.  I've been on the clock for maybe a total of one hour the entire draft.

Ewing's Knicks went toe-to-toe w the Jordan Bulls for Eastern supremacy with no better a supporting cast than XXX ever had in achieving his .388 lifetime or whatever. Cant say would Ewing have developed skills for the trey game any more than that XXX could ever play an honest post. but when was the last time XXX had a stop of any kind? dude's a genius crossing guard, dunno if my guy can keep up with that...
Seeds were planted in the 90s for the NBA supergroups we've come to know and love.  Just as the Knicks were short on talent befitting Ewing, so too were the Spurs and The Admiral. (Note to self: learn how to populate a sentence with Vis-à-Vis).  Back in the days of usenet, us Spurs fans drooled over the idea of magically upgrading our 2-guard situation (Hi Vinnie Del Negro) 

Prayers were answered.

Feels like I'm sundowning.

Rd 3.05 Isiah Thomas  PG 80s 

2x NBA Champ, NBA Finals MVP

12x All Star

The only players in NBA history with more games with 20 points and 10 assists are Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.

Bad Boy

Tough pick for me. I feel like my draft spot missed a tier of players here and I've had a couple martinis so this is maybe too personal. Russ is the coach on the court, rim protector and defensive soul. Petit is the long versatile scorer who grabs every rebound Russ misses. Zeke is free to run the offense, slash and dish how he pleases with the big guys holding it down. I want a team of winners, heart and hustle. Zeke is the toughest little guy the game has ever produced. A killer with a smile, raised rough on the south side of Chicago and embodying the Motor City. 

Don't forget how good he was

Rd 3.06 Isiah Thomas  PG 80s 

12x All Star

The only players in NBA history with more games with 20 points and 10 assists are Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson.

Bad Boy

Tough pick for me. I feel like my draft spot missed a tier of players here and I've had a couple martinis so this is maybe too personal. Russ is the coach on the court, rim protector and defensive soul. Petit is the long versatile scorer who grabs every rebound Russ misses. Zeke is free to run the offense, slash and dish how he pleases with the big guys holding it down. I want a team of winners, heart and hustle. Zeke is the toughest little guy the game has ever produced. A killer with a smile, raised rough on the south side of Chicago and embodying the Motor City. 

Was a big Isiah fan (until he beat the Lakers). 

Rd 3.06 Isiah Thomas  PG 80s 

12x All Star

Bad Boy

Tough pick for me. I feel like my draft spot missed a tier of players here and I've had a couple martinis so this is maybe this is too personal. Russ is the coach on the court, rim protector and defensive soul. Petit is the long versatile scorer who grabs every rebound Russ misses. Zeke is free to run the offense, slash and dish how he pleases with the big guys holding it down. I want a team of winners, heart and hustle. Zeke is the toughest little guy the game has ever produced. A killer with a smile, raised rough on the south side of Chicago and embodying the Motor City. 

###### ######.

You did not choose unwisely.  Isiah Thomas was the perfect PG to threesome with Olajuwon and Durant.

Ewing's shot had a hitch and would suffer from stepping back further than he did (but 15 and in he was effective).

However he was a defensive juggernaut and a great back to the basket guy.

Yes, he hated Jordan.

Yes, he talked some serious ---- about Magic.

Yes, he has no respect for Bird.

Love that about him. 

3.06 SG Pete Maravich, 1970s

Looking at my overall squad, I have Cousy and Lebron. They excel at getting to the rim and either scoring or dishing. So we need a guy who can take those passes and either hit an open jumper or score in the paint. Who was better at that than Pistol Pete? Cousy, Pistol Pete, and Lebron.  I weep for your teams.

Users who are viewing this thread