What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need spring break suggestions for kid with broken leg. Eta: Disney it is. (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
My daughter broke her leg pretty badly a couple of weeks ago doing "home gymnastics".  It was bad enough to need 3 screws and 2 nights in the hospital.  Obviously, she is very mobility-limited.  It's me, my wife, and 2 daughters, 12 (broken leg)  & 14.

Spring break is coming soon and we have a bit of cabin fever after covid.  We need to go somewhere and do something, having a hard time figuring out what to do.

We are located in the southeast, and prefer to drive but short direct flights are doable.

In the past we have gone to the beach or rented a cabin in the mountains...neither sound fun if you are on crutches - mountain biking, hiking, rafting...can't do any of that.  Beach & sand on crutches sounds awful.  Maybe we could do that for a day, max.

Disney is doable but spendy and we have done that a ton already.

I think what we would like is a nice hotel in a cool spot that has a decent pool.  She isn't in a cast and swimming would be a good low-impact exercise so laying out by the pool works.  The Disney hotels are great for that - wife & I can enjoy poolside beer and the girls can go do their thing.  It's especially great with activities for the kids and other kids our girls can hang with (they are both very social).

Any suggestions of things to do besides Disney, and/or great resorts outside of Disney?

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter broke her leg pretty badly a couple of weeks ago doing "home gymnastics".  It was bad enough to need 3 screws and 2 nights in the hospital.  Obviously, she is very mobility-limited.  It's me, my wife, and 2 daughters, 12 (broken leg)  & 14.

Spring break is coming soon and we have a bit of cabin fever after covid.  We need to go somewhere and do something, having a hard time figuring out what to do.

We are located in the southeast, and prefer to drive but short direct flights are doable.

In the past we have gone to the beach or rented a cabin in the mountains...neither sound fun if you are on crutches - mountain biking, hiking, rafting...can't do any of that.  Beach & sand on crutches sounds awful.  Maybe we could do that for a day, max.

Disney is doable but spendy and we have done that a ton already.

I think what we would like is a nice hotel in a cool spot that has a decent pool.  She isn't in a cast and swimming would be a good low-impact exercise so laying out by the pool works.  The Disney hotels are great for that - wife & I can enjoy poolside beer and the girls can go do their thing.  It's especially great with activities for the kids and other kids our girls can hang with (they are both very social).

Any suggestions of things to do besides Disney, and/or great resorts outside of Disney?
The Bahamas are dying for business right now. Lots of places over there that fit the bill, great deals now, and a very short flight.

The Bahamas are dying for business right now. Lots of places over there that fit the bill, great deals now, and a very short flight.
Unfortunately, no passports for the kids.

Eta: good suggestion though.  There may be time to get passports.

Unfortunately, no passports for the kids.

Eta: good suggestion though.  There may be time to get passports.
Puerto Rico it is. 

go to Culebra or Vieques. Both have pros and cons. For you, I’d recommend Vieques. Culebra is centered on one beaxh (as amazing as it is!) while Vieques has more variety 

Puerto Rico it is. 

go to Culebra or Vieques. Both have pros and cons. For you, I’d recommend Vieques. Culebra is centered on one beaxh (as amazing as it is!) while Vieques has more variety 
Got a particular resort in mind?

Get a dog. When my son broke his leg a few years ago, we had just happened to have brought a black Lab puppy into the family. That dog has become the best trained dog due to all the time/work my son put into him.

For Vieques you need to rent a car, and you want to buy the puddle jumper flights to the island from the mainland. You also need neg tests for the fam. It is heaven over there. You’ll have a blast. If you choose it I can give you a ton of tips. First, look at the moon schedule. If it’s a new moon (ie not full) the bioluminescent tour is once in a lifetime. You don’t get wet so daughter can go also 

For Vieques you need to rent a car, and you want to buy the puddle jumper flights to the island from the mainland. You also need neg tests for the fam. It is heaven over there. You’ll have a blast. If you choose it I can give you a ton of tips. First, look at the moon schedule. If it’s a new moon (ie not full) the bioluminescent tour is once in a lifetime. You don’t get wet so daughter can go also 
Thanks.  Looking into it.

Puerto Rico it is. 

I was in PR a few weeks ago and mainlanders were not permitted on the ferry to Vieques. Or so I was told. You might be able to fly. Otherwise, something between La Concha and the Marriott in Condado is a great spot to park it for a few days. Just 15-20 mins from the airport.

You won't be able to get passports before then or my suggestion would definitely be Cancun/Playa/Tulum.

ETA: As of our trip, you do need negative test within 72 hours, but they will let you in if you have not received the results yet. I made sure we had our results upon arrival, but it is not required to get out of the airport. You are supposed to quarantine until the negative arrives, then you upload to their portal. They will still send texts every morning to see if you have any symptoms, but the quarantine is on the honor system. Your hotel may have it's own enforcement plan. We did have to provide our PR Health Dept profile info where we stayed.

If you're limited by passports, etc and don't want to travel far, I'd recommend the Florida Keys. 
Yeah, that's a place I've been lobbying for.

My wife insists that the keys are too full of drunks (she's not wrong about that) and maybe not kid friendly.  

I think her focus is on resort style hotels - not my jam but probably easiest to do with a kid in crutches.  Haven't found the kind of hotel she is looking for there.

My wife insists that the keys are too full of drunks (she's not wrong about that) and maybe not kid friendly.  

I think her focus is on resort style hotels - not my jam but probably easiest to do with a kid in crutches.  Haven't found the kind of hotel she is looking for there.
I went there a while back with my family and really enjoyed it.  Very spread out and lots to do.  Not really dependent on the beach.  Sure you'll find drunks but that's not unique to the Keys and easy to avoid.    Key Largo is really laid back IIRC and a good stop on the way to Key West.  As for resorts, I can't really help you there.  Seemed like a lot of smaller hotels, BnB type scene.  

Contrary to popular belief, not many beaches in the Keys.  Or big resort hotels.

I know the keys fairly well, I used to live in south FL.  Definitely want to take the kids there sometime.  It is full of drunks but I'm ok with that.

This isn't the time for that.  Duvall St = walking and/or mopeds.  Snorkeling/jet skiing isn't a great idea with a broken leg.  

No, this trip needs to be something easily accessible for a kid with a broken leg.

Btw, PR is def on our short list of places we'd like to go...maybe this summer.  My wife is Puerto Rican but born in FL and has never been there.  I think she has some distant relatives there.

Early April isn't bad.  We went once for spring break a few years ago and it was too cold for water parks.

Crowd wise - could go either way.  
It’s in the high 80s now. Not gonna be a lot of cool weeks moving forward. 

Users who are viewing this thread