Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Swenson's Burger Drive-In Northeast Ohio

Several of us have bragged about this wonderful burger place over the years.  Cool to see that the "First We Feast" burger guy included them on his show today.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ipi6jzQ7s&feature=youtu.be

Love these burgers - and since having them years ago, we always put brown sugar in our burgers when making them at home.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Love these burgers - and since having them years ago, we always put brown sugar in our burgers when making them at home.  

Does the brown sugar make the burger taste a bit sweet?  Do you dress yours up like The Galley Boy?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, simey said:

Does the brown sugar make the burger taste a bit sweet?  Do you dress yours up like The Galley Boy?

a little, but it doesn't hit you in the face

it's more that people tend to say, "what's that I taste? ...it's really good but I can't place it."

ETA:  I get the double cheeseburger - same thing but no bbq or tartar sauce - just not my thing, but most people love it.  The buns are butter toasted too.

Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

a little, but it doesn't hit you in the face

it's more that people tend to say, "what's that I taste? ...it's really good but I can't place it."

ETA:  I get the double cheeseburger - same thing but no bbq or tartar sauce - just not my thing, but most people love it.  The buns are butter toasted too.

Tartar sauce? Is this a fish sandwich or somethin’?

11 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Tartar sauce? Is this a fish sandwich or somethin’?

Tartar sauce on a cheeseburger is pretty pretty good.

• Like 1

Funny, I lived in NE Ohio a good portion of my life (well about 35 years), graduated from the University of Akron and have never, NEVER eaten at Swenson's.

I feel like less of a man now :kicksrock:

• Sad 1
15 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Several of us have bragged about this wonderful burger place over the years.  Cool to see that the "First We Feast" burger guy included them on his show today.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Ipi6jzQ7s&feature=youtu.be

How much brown sugar we talking about here?

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

about a 1/4 cup of brown sugar to 1lb. of burger.

give it a try and adjust from there.

Do you have any more seasonings - like salt and pepper and such?

15 hours ago, shuke said:

Tartar sauce on a cheeseburger is pretty pretty good.

The more I think about this the more I think you're just trying to get people to do it.   Don't troll my food, man.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

I guess that makes sense if you're a mayonnaise and pickles type.   

I’ve never looked at the ingredients of tartar sauce but assumes it’s pickles, Mayo and spices - doesn’t seem like a huge stretch to put on a burger and I’d imagine it’s pretty good.

16 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I’ve never looked at the ingredients of tartar sauce but assumes it’s pickles, Mayo and spices - doesn’t seem like a huge stretch to put on a burger and I’d imagine it’s pretty good.

I've been told the key is the tartar sauce - bbq sauce combo ...I've had it - just ok for me, but I'm not a big tartar sauce guy - not a sweet pickle fan.

I'm there for the double cheeseburgers and their shakes.  

45 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Tartar is Mayo/sweet pickles

Pickles on a cheeseburger are usually dill

That said, I’d try it, why not?

eta: a little lemon juice in tartar sauce is good too imo

Edited by Cowboysfan8
41 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Pickles on a cheeseburger are usually dill

That said, I’d try it, why not?

eta: a little lemon juice in tartar sauce is good too imo

Many suggest that the tartar/mayo sauce might be Miracle Whip.  I 'member when a grilled cheese with MW was the bomb.  Many years ago... probably an acquired taste.

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

The tartar sauce I get around here has lemon juice in it . Sometimes parsley , maybe chives , always pickle and onion. Can’t see the lemon playing on a burger at all but then again this burger has brown sugar in it 

Edited by HellToupee
8 hours ago, the rover said:

The more I think about this the more I think you're just trying to get people to do it.   Don't troll my food, man.

It's a thing, dude.  Look at it

6 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I've been told the key is the tartar sauce - bbq sauce combo ...I've had it - just ok for me, but I'm not a big tartar sauce guy - not a sweet pickle fan.

I can't even comprehend what you're talking about here.  BBQ sauce?

Sweet pickles?  Tartar sauce is made with dill.

6 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Get the #### out of there with this.  Dill not sweet.

I want to clarify that the burgers I eat with tartar sauce definitely don't have brown sugar in them.  That's ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, shuke said:

I can't even comprehend what you're talking about here.  BBQ sauce?

Sweet pickles?  Tartar sauce is made with dill.

did you watch the video?  

Swenson's is best known for the "Galley Boy" which is a double burger that has their tartar sauce on the bottom bun, cheese between the two patties and bbq sauce on the top.  

not a fan of mayo on burgers

more of a ketchup/mustard guy

however I will do barbecue sauce on a burger, especially if the burger is half beef/half ground pork. 

10 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

did you watch the video?  

Swenson's is best known for the "Galley Boy" which is a double burger that has their tartar sauce on the bottom bun, cheese between the two patties and bbq sauce on the top.  

Huh. May have to try making this this weekend. 

10 hours ago, JaxBill said:

not a fan of mayo on burgers

more of a ketchup/mustard guy

however I will do barbecue sauce on a burger, especially if the burger is half beef/half ground pork. 

I really like the Mayo and bbq combo for burgers (probably 2nd after Big Mac sauce). 

I usually add worchester (sp?) sauce as well so not opposed to a bit of the sweetness. 

I’m intrigued by the burger being discussed in here.  

6 minutes ago, Zow said:

I really like the Mayo and bbq combo for burgers (probably 2nd after Big Mac sauce)

I usually add worchester (sp?) sauce as well so not opposed to a bit of the sweetness. 

You mean thousand island dressing?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hawks64 said:

You mean thousand island dressing?

Yep basically (I thought there was a sligth difference?). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zow said:

Huh. May have to try making this this weekend. 

btw ...I think the 4:1 ratio of brown sugar is a bigger deal than the two sauces ...

butter and griddle toast your buns if possible

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Zow said:

I really like the Mayo and bbq combo for burgers (probably 2nd after Big Mac sauce). 

I do too.  I always put 1/4 of worcestershire sauce to 1 lb of ground beef.  It is a very nice subtle flavor that wakes up the burger.   Not sure how it would mesh with brown sugar,

14 minutes ago, Gally said:

I do too.  I always put 1/4 of worcestershire sauce to 1 lb of ground beef.  It is a very nice subtle flavor that wakes up the burger.   Not sure how it would mesh with brown sugar,

Samsonite. I was waaaaaay off. 

• Laughing 1
On 3/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, beer 30 said:

Funny, I lived in NE Ohio a good portion of my life (well about 35 years), graduated from the University of Akron and have never, NEVER eaten at Swenson's.

I feel like less of a man now :kicksrock:

Locations were not far from U of A at all.  You should have tried it at least once!  Anyway, IMO, Swenson's is overrated.  It's not bad for a quick burger, but it's nothing special.  

• Like 1

Got me Binks, i don't even eat burgers any more but I enjoyed watching the video on the 2 burger joints. I miss some of the chains I enjoyed in SoCal like Tommy's and of course In n Out which we don't have here.

Live in Florida and our beef sucks but luckily we are surrounded by water and fresh fish. 

2 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Got me Binks, i don't even eat burgers any more but I enjoyed watching the video on the 2 burger joints. I miss some of the chains I enjoyed in SoCal like Tommy's and of course In n Out which we don't have here.

Live in Florida and our beef sucks but luckily we are surrounded by water and fresh fish. 

Are these two things related? 

• Laughing 1
3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Locations were not far from U of A at all.  You should have tried it at least once!  Anyway, IMO, Swenson's is overrated.  It's not bad for a quick burger, but it's nothing special.  

that's what of a lot of people said about your mom.

• Like 1