What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A slacker was 20 minutes late and received two math problems… His solutions shocked his professor. (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
LINK:   🎥 👉  A slacker was 20 minutes late and received two math problems… His solutions shocked his professor.  👈

Today I will tell you a relatively short story about a young man, which occurred many years ago. Even though the story contains nothing supernatural, I’m not exaggerating when I say that it was able to change the lives of millions across the world. In one way or another, every self-respecting successful person knows about it, and I think each one of you should hear it as well.

The human mind is incredible.  It can do so many things it doesn't know that it can do.  I can remember for 8th grade science fair I decided to prove that. I hypothesized that human flight was possible if the brain just didn't think it wasn't capable. So to prove it, I pushed my ####### 16 old brother off the 4 story high school roof.  I was right! His developed brain told him he couldn't fly and sure enough, he couldn't fly!  So, to prove the second part of my theory I pushed my baby brother with his undeveloped brain off the same building. Turns out my theory was wrong. Sorry, Lon.

The human mind is incredible.  It can do so many things it doesn't know that it can do.  I can remember for 8th grade science fair I decided to prove that. I hypothesized that human flight was possible if the brain just didn't think it wasn't capable. So to prove it, I pushed my ####### 16 old brother off the 4 story high school roof.  I was right! His developed brain told him he couldn't fly and sure enough, he couldn't fly!  So, to prove the second part of my theory I pushed my baby brother with his undeveloped brain off the same building. Turns out my theory was wrong. Sorry, Lon.
Actually, your theory isn't that far off. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Getting distracted on the way down is the tricky bit.

That's funny. I teach math and I tell this story every now and then. I heard it decades ago, probably in college, and in my telling it is John Milnor, not George Dantzig. And it is five unsolved problems (of which Milnor solved one and a piece of another) not two. And in my version, Milnor missed the class completely but went to the classroom only to see the problems on the board and assumed it was the homework. I have no doubt that my telling is the incorrect one. It seemed apocryphal even back then. Since Dantzig's story is on Wikipedia, I'll tell it that way from now on, but old habits are tough to break.

Charlie Steiner said:
Actually, your theory isn't that far off. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Getting distracted on the way down is the tricky bit.
Was going to post this immediately after I read Ron's, but you beat me to it.

Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

Wow.  You guys are so saaavy and hip.  Amazing ability sniff out BS.  Unless your BS detectors are on hyperdrive ...

Which they are.  

Get over yourselves as you give it a spin hipsters.  

Their accidentally is decent content even with clickbait marketing. 

Wow.  You guys are so saaavy and hip.  Amazing ability sniff out BS.  Unless your BS detectors are on hyperdrive ...

Which they are.  

Why won’t Hollywood cast you anymore?

I learned that from a mostly harmless guy in England.
I dined with him at a restaurant at the end of a seeming universe once. Told him so long, and thanks for all the fish. Quoted him in my high school yearbook because Phish was so big at our school. School of Phish, as it were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which they are.  

Well said.

KarmaPolice said:
Good Will Hunting? 
To his credit, it is an interesting story, but the clickbait headline means most people won't go into it. @pecorino took the plunge and watched it and said it was about George Dantzig. I'm not sure what world we would call him a slacker since he already had a masters at the time and was going for his doctorate, but he did arrive late to class and saw problems written on the board. He assumed it was homework, but they were really open (unanswered) stat problems. He thought they were "a little harder" than usual, but solved them both.  He went on to have quite the career.  Died at age 90 in the early 2000s I think.  Good Will Hunting seems to have borrowed from the urban stories that @pecorinohad heard.

Users who are viewing this thread