What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Covid Relief Bill (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
1. 75% of the American public supports the COVID relief bill. 
2. Over 50%of Republicans support it. 
3. The vast majority of Republican governors and state legislators support it. 
4. The main opposition to the bill was the minimum wage increase; that will not be part of the final bill so it is no longer an issue. 
5. During impeachment Republicans complained that we needed to move on as a nation to work on bipartisan proposals like COVID relief. 

Yet this bill is going to pass without a single Republican vote in House or Senate. Can anyone explain this? 

Last edited by a moderator:
4. The main opposition to the bill was the minimum wage increase; that will not be part of the final bill so it is no longer an issue. 
5. During impeachment Republicans complained that we needed to move on as a nation to work on bipartisan proposals like COVID relief. 

Yet this bill is going to pass without a single Republican vote in House or Senate. Can anyone explain this? 
More importantly, who cares? It's not like the public is going to hold feet to the fire when they get their checks and Republicans can always point to the waste elements of the bill and claim they were for austerity measures and the checks, keeping themselves in good stead in the public eye.

And because they're politicians who are a bit rotten. Why else?

More importantly, who cares? It's not like the public is going to hold feet to the fire when they get their checks and Republicans can always point to the waste elements of the bill and claim they were for austerity measures and the checks, keeping themselves in good stead in the public eye.

Any Republican who claims to be worried about austerity after the Trump years is going to look ridiculous. 

Party over country.  They don't want to give Biden a win.
So ... what do people like Romney, Sasse, and Murkowski have to lose? If you don't hard-support Trump-nationalism anyway, you're no longer considered "Republican" anymore. Why draw the line on the COVID bill?

There have been two efforts to replace that ridiculous Silicon Valley tunnel and redirect those monies to mental health issues due to COVID.  It was quashed both times.  

I'll explain the above if you can explain how that stays in a COVID relief bill.

There have been two efforts to replace that ridiculous Silicon Valley tunnel and redirect those monies to mental health issues due to COVID.  It was quashed both times.  

I'll explain the above if you can explain how that stays in a COVID relief bill.
OK here goes: 

Every large bill that passes through Congress inevitably has pork in it. Some of it, by itself, is indefensible. Unfortunately that’s the way business is done in Washington. If you choose to oppose this bill due to this way of doing business, I can respect that so long as you’re willing to consistently oppose every bill with pork attached. So far as I know, there is not a single legislator in either party who can make this argument. 

In this specific case I can’t comment on the Silicon Valley issue but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was indefensible. But of course the larger issue of the bill as a whole outweighs it. 

Your turn. 

I think they would if it was actually for COVID Relief.

Perhaps if Dems sent a bill that said "1400$ checks for all Americans," you'd be right that Republicans just think party over country. 
This would pass by large margins and by both sides.

Your turn. 
The answer is both tribalism and the fact that most of the bill (not just a little pork) is a blue state bonanza of slush.  We still haven't spent 1T from the last bill.  So tribalism combined with items such as blue state budget bailouts generally make this bill a poison pill for the red team to vote for.  And, let's be clear, that's by design.  It's written so that it passes, but in a way for one team to decry the other as being evil and hating the citizenry.

jm192 said:
Perhaps if Dems sent a bill that said "1400$ checks for all Americans," you'd be right that Republicans just think party over country. 
Maybe my remembering is off but didn't the Senate turn down a $2000 offer before they lost the Senate majority?

Sand said:
This would pass by large margins and by both sides
Probably but on Dec 28th 132 Republican house members voted against a $2000 stimulus bill. The Republican lead Senate didn't even vote on it.

rockaction said:

This

Also, I’d guess 90% of Americans (that approve the Bill) don’t even know what’s in the Bill 

Sand said:

The answer is both tribalism and the fact that most of the bill (not just a little pork) is a blue state bonanza of slush.  We still haven't spent 1T from the last bill.  So tribalism combined with items such as blue state budget bailouts generally make this bill a poison pill for the red team to vote for.  And, let's be clear, that's by design.  It's written so that it passes, but in a way for one team to decry the other as being evil and hating the citizenry.
bingo!

timschochet said:
In this specific case I can’t comment on the Silicon Valley issue but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was indefensible. But of course the larger issue of the bill as a whole outweighs it.
Not really. It depends what the pork is and how much a portion of the bill it takes up. I understand you come from the Jack Germond hardened/pragmatist school of politics, but let's not pretend they didn't just try and backdoor a huge increase to the federal minimum wage in there. People like you screaming to "just pass it" would have been willing accomplices to a bad idea shoved through in a bill maximizing a taking advantage of the situation. Bad news all around. 

timschochet said:

Besides being wasteful spending.  It should be opposed, but i am not sure there is one fiscal conservative left in Washington DC

Maybe my remembering is off but didn't the Senate turn down a $2000 offer before they lost the Senate majority?
Has there been a single proposal that didn't include a bunch of extraneous funding?

I admittedly haven't looked closely at every proposal.  But what I have looked at seems to always have a ton of pork tied to it.  

Then we get a thread "Why don't Republicans want COVID relief?"  

I think they do, it's the pork we're hung up on.  If Dems love Americans so much, hack out all the pork and let's go.  Fund your bridges and tunnels other ways.

Sand said:

Yes, and often pork is a way to get the votes of a region's representative.  Since they don't need any R votes there really isn't anyone here to "buy" with the pork.  It's just a product of the D's having the votes to do what they want so they can fill it with pork for their home areas.  The R's are never going to vote for this because they get no credit for it anyway and so why not take the side of not voting for it due to the pork.  

IvanKaramazov said:
Party over country.  They don't want to give Biden a win.
Isn't pushing things through without any need for even a single Republican vote a win?   He will get all the credit; the GOP will get none.   If they actually worked in a good faith bipartisan manner, they could have taken a lot of the credit from Biden.   

This from Romney's WSJ editorial...

The Congressional Budget Office’s recent analysis of the plan found that more than a third of the proposed funding—$700 billion—wouldn’t be spent until 2022 or later, undermining the administration’s claim that the massive price tag is justified for urgent pandemic-related needs.

*  The Biden stimulus calls for $170 billion for education yet has no realistic plan to reopen K-12 schools. Further, of the $80 billion Congress has already authorized for education, $68 billion hasn’t yet been used by schools and universities. Stunningly, the CBO says only 4% of the K-12 spending in the Biden bill would occur in 2021 and that some education and labor funds would remain unspent in 2029, after a potential Biden second term.

*  Extending federal supplemental unemployment benefits beyond March 14 is a good idea that merits bipartisan support. But the Biden stimulus calls for checks of $400 a week in addition to state checks through September. At that level, the majority of the unemployed would make more by not working. 

*  Senate Republicans will support whatever is needed to expand Covid testing, accelerate vaccine delivery and support health providers. We will likewise support robust assistance for those who have been crushed financially by the pandemic, including by losing their jobs.

Fund your bridges and tunnels other ways.
They don't really have too in this instance. They will pass a bill through Congress. Nothing gets done in this country without control of all 3 branches of government so might as well get what you can while you can.

Summer Wheat said:
I think they would if it was actually for COVID Relief.
You'd be wrong, but it IS nice to imagine this would be true.  We have short memories if we can't remember just a few months ago where a direct proposal of X dollars per person with NOTHING else in it was rejected by the GOP.  This is all about "sides".

You'd be wrong, but it IS nice to imagine this would be true.  We have short memories if we can't remember just a few months ago where a direct proposal of X dollars per person with NOTHING else in it was rejected by the GOP.  This is all about "sides".
Until an election year, yes.

It guess really does not matter as it will get passed.  I just don`t get why all these bills that are touted for health care and COVID end up with all these pet projects attached to them.  

timschochet said:

Why on earth did they cave on this?  Yes, it’s a rhetorical question.  

Is it not possible to simply put forth a bill that funds COVID relief and only COVID relief?  I get the idea that pork is included in most maybe all bills.  But the numbers I’m seeing is that something like 9% of the bill is actually funding for people affected by COVID to be applied this year.  Shame on everyone for playing politics with this.  Just propose a bill that does what it is intended to do.  If the gop still turns their nose up at it then they can suffer the consequences.  I doubt that would be the case.  ####### ridiculous 

Sand said:
:own3d:

Awful silly. I’ve started plenty of threads congratulating Republicans. If they would get on board here I’d be the first to do so again. 
OK, I'm on board ONLY if they drop everything else.  Are the D's for a Covid relief bill on those terms?  DOubtful.  

Yes, and often pork is a way to get the votes of a region's representative.  Since they don't need any R votes there really isn't anyone here to "buy" with the pork.  It's just a product of the D's having the votes to do what they want so they can fill it with pork for their home areas.  The R's are never going to vote for this because they get no credit for it anyway and so why not take the side of not voting for it due to the pork.  
Whose vote did they have to buy?   No one.  It was just an opportunity to get $1.8 trillion of leftwing goodies under the guise of providing $0.2 Triilion in free money for voters under the guise of being COVID relief.  

It guess really does not matter as it will get passed.  I just don`t get why all these bills that are touted for health care and COVID end up with all these pet projects attached to them.  
This is the way it's been since forever.  It's too hard to do things the correct way, so this is the way they do them.  Part of the reason it's easy for me not to "stand" with either party.  They're two sides of the same coin no matter how different each "side" thinks they are from the other.  I mean, in this very thread there is alleged "outrage" that this thing is passing by one side who was cheering on the tax cuts (which are temporary to you and me, but permanent to corporations) and some of the labeled "fat" in this bill people are "outraged" over even after acknowledging that infrastructure projects are necessary and something almost all of us agree on.  

Users who are viewing this thread