What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Covid Relief Bill (1 Viewer)

You might not like the bill but your criticisms that Dems weren’t delivering on their promises and don’t truly want to help people seem misguided.
On January 3 Biden promised if you voted for his guys checks would “go out immediately “. Your blind defense of him not delivering seems misguided to me. 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90607300/but-seriously-where-are-the-stimulus-checks-joe

I’m sure there are some gymnastics to give him a pass here but he failed, sorry. 

On January 3 Biden promised if you voted for his guys checks would “go out immediately “. Your blind defense of him not delivering seems misguided to me. 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90607300/but-seriously-where-are-the-stimulus-checks-joe

I’m sure there are some gymnastics to give him a pass here but he failed, sorry. 
Biden wasn't even President yet on January 3.  Was your understanding of "immediately" that the checks would go out while Trump was still in the White House?  Two months after inauguration day seems pretty fast to me in comparison to other major legislation.  Obamacare was negotiated for like 8 months or something and Republicans are always saying that Democrats rushed it through.

Biden wasn't even President yet on January 3.  Was your understanding of "immediately" that the checks would go out while Trump was still in the White House?  Two months after inauguration day seems pretty fast to me in comparison to other major legislation.  Obamacare was negotiated for like 8 months or something and Republicans are always saying that Democrats rushed it through.
I would have expected closer to January 6 than March 6, yes.  He couldn’t sign that stoppage of the keystone pipeline fast enough though.

One more time

The Dems ran on “People need this $ now!!!”

”vote for us!!! , WE WILL GET YOU THE MONEY YOU SO BADLY NEED IMMEDIATELY!!!”

joe the savior to Georgia— “ VOTE BLUE AND CHECKS WILL GO OUT IMMEDIATELY “

I guess he doesn’t know the definition of immediately?

why aren’t they just putting up a bill that is cash for hungry people right now. Just the checks , nothing else? You know....like they promised?
In this day and age of the PSF, I can't tell if this is rhetorical or not.  So on the off chance that it isn't, the answer to this question is the same as when the GOP acted the same way...because "sides".  The only thing remotely interesting about this whole thing is watching the "sides" flip their stories around as good minions do.  If it weren't so pathetic, it'd be funny...two sides of the same coin can't seem to gather the self awareness to understand how foolish they look.  They actually think they are making GOOD, original arguments that they weren't arguing AGAINST just a few weeks ago :lol:  

In this day and age of the PSF, I can't tell if this is rhetorical or not.  So on the off chance that it isn't, the answer to this question is the same as when the GOP acted the same way...because "sides".  The only thing remotely interesting about this whole thing is watching the "sides" flip their stories around as good minions do.  If it weren't so pathetic, it'd be funny...two sides of the same coin can't seem to gather the self awareness to understand how foolish they look.  They actually think they are making GOOD, original arguments that they weren't arguing AGAINST just a few weeks ago :lol:  
The only point I try to make is that they all suck 🤷‍♂️

Its annoying to watch the Dems on this board make excuses for “their side” time after time after time 

“They all said if you vote for us the checks will be immediate....we know you’re hurting!!!!”

”Its been 3 months, where are the checks”

”Well, they’ll get it taken care of be patient....”

:lol:

The two senators from Gerorga weren't sworn in until January 19th so let's start the clock from there.

the R’s are guilty of doing the same thing, and the D’s would call them out also.  

what is frustrating is this is from a month ago,and still nothing - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/02/03/house-coronavirus-relief-budget-bill/%3foutputType=amp

The only point I try to make is that they all suck 🤷‍♂️

Its annoying to watch the Dems on this board make excuses for “their side” time after time after time 

“They all said if you vote for us the checks will be immediate....we know you’re hurting!!!!”

”Its been 3 months, where are the checks”

”Well, they’ll get it taken care of be patient....”

It's annoying to watch the Trumpers do the same...it's all annoying.  They aren't meaningfully different from one another.  However, it's absurd to NOT understand how government works and try to "gotcha" someone on their hyperbole either.  That happens all the time.  Sorry, but the "where are the checks you promised immediately!!!!!" guys aren't different from the "Trump's a complete failure since he didn't get a wall built across the entire southern border" guys.  These are stupid arguments/criticisms all around IMO  :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
the R’s are guilty of doing the same thing, and the D’s would call them out also.  

what is frustrating is this is from a month ago,and still nothing - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/02/03/house-coronavirus-relief-budget-bill/%3foutputType=amp
I share in the frustration of them not following through on promises, though the length of time isn't really a criteria for me personally.  We all know trying to get something through Congress is like trying to suck a watermelon through a garden hose.  The only time this is NOT true is if one party holds a super majority and I'm not sure the last time that happened.  This "call them out" stuff is just dumb when they're all sitting in the same boat going to the same place just pissing and moaning about who's turn it is to row.  They're all lazy dopes as are those who support them IMO.

Yeah nice spin. We were in the middle of a pandemic, not waiting for an empty health care promise. Most people will have their shots before their checks, complete failure trying to force the pork through instead of doing what’s right. 

I’m not quite getting the argument that two months in isn’t immediate enough, therefore Biden broke his promise and Democrats are all liars? Seems a little weak. 

If memory serves there is a deadline in April in which unemployment runs out. The goal was always to get this passed prior to that date. 

I’m not quite getting the argument that two months in isn’t immediate enough, therefore Biden broke his promise and Democrats are all liars? Seems a little weak. 

If memory serves there is a deadline in April in which unemployment runs out. The goal was always to get this passed prior to that date. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2021/01/04/bidens-final-pitch-to-georgia-vote-blue-and-2000-checks-will-go-out-the-door-immediately/amp/

Yeah nice spin. We were in the middle of a pandemic, not waiting for an empty health care promise. Most people will have their shots before their checks, complete failure trying to force the pork through instead of doing what’s right. 
We still are in the middle of a pandemic

To be fair, Democrats prioritized an impeachment process they knew would fail over immediate pandemic relief.

That's a consciously chosen delay.
Well...not quite.  It should have been done prior to the inauguration...GOP Mitch decided to not let it.  The House had already acted.

And seems other things took priority as well in the fall (when this really should have been done....when legislation was pushed to increase the checks in the past.  GOP did not agree with that either.  

Fact is...there is a back and forth of a little obstruction that goes on to move the timing.  I believe the house also acted on this prior to the week of impeachment (and not like things could not be discussed then in committee either).

Our congress is broken.  Seems the days of bills being passed and reconciled have been replaced with bickering in the media.

Well...not quite.  It should have been done prior to the inauguration...GOP Mitch decided to not let it.  The House had already acted.

And seems other things took priority as well in the fall (when this really should have been done....when legislation was pushed to increase the checks in the past.  GOP did not agree with that either.  

Fact is...there is a back and forth of a little obstruction that goes on to move the timing.  I believe the house also acted on this prior to the week of impeachment (and not like things could not be discussed then in committee either).

Our congress is broken.  Seems the days of bills being passed and reconciled have been replaced with bickering in the media.
I'm not debating the merits of that choice, nor offering an editorial. Just sticking to the facts. Congress chooses their agenda and the priority of that agenda. They consciously prioritized impeachment process higher than pandemic relief to the citizens. 

It's only weak if people bagging on this aren't also bagging on "20 million vaccines administered by the end of December"....oh...yeah, I guess you have a point.  The selectiveness on application of standards is blatantly obvious.  The only other thing more bizarre in this line of thinking is saying 1.5 million doses of vaccine in a month is "the same trajectory" as 1 million doses a day.

I'm not debating the merits of that choice, nor offering an editorial. Just sticking to the facts. Congress chooses their agenda and the priority of that agenda. They consciously prioritized impeachment process higher than pandemic relief to the citizens. 
I don’t know that it’s fair to say they prioritized impeachment over stimulus  because both were going on the same time.  I guess you can say they didn’t entirely prioritize the stimulus over everything else.  If they had, how much earlier do you believe the checks would have gone out?

For what it’s worth, Mitch McConnell said this morning that the bill was bad because it was being rushed through too fast.  So the talking points don’t seem to have made their way to everyone.

House passed a bill on December 28 for getting checks to people.  The president said he would sign it. Why did the Senate never vote on that bill?

I don’t know that it’s fair to say they prioritized impeachment over stimulus  because both were going on the same time.  I guess you can say they didn’t entirely prioritize the stimulus over everything else.  If they had, how much earlier do you believe the checks would have gone out?

For what it’s worth, Mitch McConnell said this morning that the bill was bad because it was being rushed through too fast.  So the talking points don’t seem to have made their way to everyone.
Yes. It is very fair to say they prioritized impeachment over stimulus.

How much earlier? Doesn't matter.

If someone isn't acting immediately on a "crisis," then de facto it is not an actual crisis.

Crisis 1:  Trump is deplorable and we want to make sure he never runs again.  If we don't do this he may run again in 4 years.  

Crisis 2:  People can't pay their bills and may not have food next week.  

Then it's WHY WON'T REPUBLICANS VOTE TO HELP AMERICANS?!?!?!
Priorities 

I think it would be fantastic if we could stop framing everything as "Why is your side terrible?"

Trump's out of office and 2021 was going to be the year of unity and healing.  It's February and Tim's posted his 2nd or 3rd "Why won't Republicans do the right thing" thread.  

We're citing polls saying people want COVID relief and REJECTING arguments that the Republicans are explicitly stating.  "Nope, can't be the pork."  

I don’t think this is how most Democrats would characterize it.  
Characterize it however you want.  

Impeachment couldn't have been done in a few months?  

COVID relief is so direly needed--otherwise why is it a big deal the Republicans won't just vote for it regardless of what else is in it---but we HAD to do impeachment ASAP.

Isn't there a requirement somewhere that impeachment proceedings take precedence over other business in the Senate?  I don't know, but vaguely remember reading this before the ACB confirmation hearings.

In a divided country everything one side does has everything to do with what the other side does.
These are tangents. Democrats (and Democrats only) prioritized impeachment over pandemic relief. End of story.

FWIW, I am on record in other threads advocating censure over impeachment for the very reason of moving on to higher priorities for the country...i.e. vaccinations and economic recovery.

I think it would be fantastic if we could stop framing everything as "Why is your side terrible?"

Trump's out of office and 2021 was going to be the year of unity and healing.  It's February and Tim's posted his 2nd or 3rd "Why won't Republicans do the right thing" thread.  

We're citing polls saying people want COVID relief and REJECTING arguments that the Republicans are explicitly stating.  "Nope, can't be the pork."  
I'm not even sure we're doing this are we?  I think it's more not about the sides, but the individuals.  "Why are you concerned about this now when you didn't seem to be bothered by it before?"  Maybe that's just me since I know politicians are going to be political.  My wonder is why people put up with that.  It's never made sense to me.

This topic is the perfect illustration of that specific problem.  Just two months ago, the Dems proposed $2K only bill that the Senate didn't bring to the floor.  Many, rightfully IMO, said the move by McConnell was complete ####.  Now, the Dems are doing their dog and pony and those that were silent or defending McConnell are upset like those who were calling McConnell's move complete ####.  And those who were upset with McConnell are now defending the Dem's version of the same.  It's one of the most ###### up things I've seen...It's blatantly pathetic and has nothing to do with the politicians themselves rather those who support them and their actions.

Democrats (and Democrats only) prioritized impeachment over pandemic relief. End of story.
The Democratic house passed the Cashact on December 28th. The impeachment vote by the house was on January 13th. The Democrats didnt even take control of the Senate until January 19th.

This is a false interpretation of the OP. 
I never wrote “why won’t Republicans do the right thing?” or “why won’t Republicans help Americans?” I don’t even think of such terms. My question was not an ethical one; it was a political question. With so much of the public in favor of the bill I was surprised that not a single Republican, not even the supposed moderates, were joining the Democrats on what would clearly be a popular move and which is going to pass anyhow. That was my point, please refrain from putting words in my mouth. 

The Democratic house passed the Cashact on December 28th. The impeachment vote by the house was on January 13th. The Democrats didnt even take control of the Senate until January 19th.
Look upthread. I'm on record saying it was a poor decision by the then-Republican controlled Senate to deny the $2K stimulus payments.

Again. Poor decisions by the GOP in December 2020 have squat to do with current decisions and priorities being made by the Democrats in Spring 2021.

Look upthread. I'm on record saying it was a poor decision by the then-Republican controlled Senate to deny the $2K stimulus payments.

Again. Poor decisions by the GOP in December 2020 have squat to do with current decisions and priorities being made by the Democrats in Spring 2021.
So you didn't say?

Democrats (and Democrats only) prioritized impeachment over pandemic relief. End of story.

Users who are viewing this thread