What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gov. Abbott opens TX. MS, CT, WV, AZ & KS join. Now GOP opens Georgia! (1 Viewer)

I'm pro-gun ... if I wrote an article would I write it supporting guns or bashing guns ?

articles are often opinion pieces - written and assembled to the conclusion that supports what the author believes

am I right ?
I don’t think the particular quote you excerpted demonstrates bias, but again, that’s why I posted the FoxNews piece discussing the study and stating the conclusion that masks work. 

This. They aren't telling you what to do @Stealthycat - you keep on being you

But many people look to scientists to determine their best course of action, especially when it comes to visiting elderly parents/grandparents and not wanting to put them in more danger than necessary
really ?

hmmm  I figured people had enough common sense not to go see elderly/grandparents when they're sick - I thought we ALWAYS did that ?

I don't need a Govt agency to tell me that

Next thing they'll be doing is having to tell me not to eat the plastic on a frozen pizza ... I mean how would I know not to if the Govt didn't tell me right ?

Stealthycat said:
really ?

hmmm  I figured people had enough common sense not to go see elderly/grandparents when they're sick - I thought we ALWAYS did that ?

Next thing they'll be doing is having to tell me not to eat the plastic on a frozen pizza ... I mean how would I know not to if the Govt didn't tell me right ?
We are talking covid here friend. Not eating plastic and not just regular old being sick. Not sure why you insist on being so obtuse about all this

Stealthycat said:
really ?

Why would you be opposed to someone having more information?

Uh huh...

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton threatens to sue the city of Austin if it doesn't lift its mask mandate

"'You and your local health authorities have until 6:00 p.m. today to rescind any local mask mandates or business-operating restrictions, retract any related public statements, and come into full compliance with' the executive order, he said in a letter to Austin Mayor Steve Adler and Travis County Judge Andy Brown."

This is why it was a bad bad bad idea by the governor.
Wait what...now not letting municipalities set their own policies?

Uh huh...

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton threatens to sue the city of Austin if it doesn't lift its mask mandate

"'You and your local health authorities have until 6:00 p.m. today to rescind any local mask mandates or business-operating restrictions, retract any related public statements, and come into full compliance with' the executive order, he said in a letter to Austin Mayor Steve Adler and Travis County Judge Andy Brown."

This is why it was a bad bad bad idea by the governor.
From AG Paxton

City/county leaders must not be thinking clearly. Maybe it’s oxygen deprivation from quintuple-masking. Whatever the case, they’ve tried this before. They lost. Travis County and Austin have a few hours to comply with state law or I’ll sue them. And they’ll lose again. LINK  :thumbup:

Least surprising result of all time.  Vaccination + seasonality were always going to cause new infections to drop off.

I still find it baffling that people freaked out about this when it was announced.
I agree but the point I would have made (don’t think I posted about it) is why jump the gum.  I don’t like wearing a mask too but another month isn’t going to hurt anybody.  I will say that folks that don’t like Abbott would probably never like the decision no matter when it came.

Least surprising result of all time.  Vaccination + seasonality were always going to cause new infections to drop off.

I still find it baffling that people freaked out about this when it was announced.
But why are several Northern states seeing plateaus or increases in cases? NY for example, is open but almost everything is on a limited capacity and masks are still required almost everywhere. Yet the cases have been staying steady for weeks now.

But why are several Northern states seeing plateaus or increases in cases? NY for example, is open but almost everything is on a limited capacity and masks are still required almost everywhere. Yet the cases have been staying steady for weeks now.
My guess (and it’s a total guess) is population density and maybe a little weather. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably seasonality.  Maybe something else.  Maybe just randomness.

When the research is written on covid-19, my guess is going to be that wearing masks somewhat reduced covid infections while mask mandates probably had little if any effect.  I've supported mask mandates since before the CDC got on board, but the data don't seem to move the way you might predict in response to mandates and it wouldn't surprise me if this went down as one of those "seemed like a good idea out of an abundance of caution, but didn't actually do anything" type things.

I mean, nobody thinks that mask mandates increase covid or create super-covid or anything like that.    

I don't know where you live, but it's about 36 degress and raining here right now. :(

Probably still a lot of people huddled up inside in several areas.  

TX losing a lot of revenue due to this move.  National conferences pulling out of Austin.   One hotel estimate a loss of $350k.

President Biden made a plea to the nation’s governors Monday as the US faces the possibility of another wave of Covid-19 infections.

“I’m reiterating my call for every governor, mayor, and local leader to maintain and reinstate the mask mandate. Please. This is not politics. Reinstate the mandate if you let it down,” Biden said during remarks on the state of vaccinations Monday.

The plea comes as some states have lifted requirements for face coverings, as well as guidance on restaurant capacity and other measures, and cases have again begun to rise. Last week, the administration called on states to slow the relaxation of Covid guidelines.

With a nod to the role of the private sector, Biden also suggested businesses should also require the use of masks.

“The failure to take this virus seriously precisely what got us to this mess in the first place, risk more cases, more deaths,” he said.

Biden also renewed calls for Americans to wear masks, framing the choice as a “patriotic duty.”

“I need the American people do their part as well. Mask up, mask up. It's a patriotic duty. It's the only way we ever get back to normal,” he said.

Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said she would be conveying Biden’s message to governors on Tuesday after she warned of “impending doom” over concerns about another wave of Covid-19 cases.

“With regard to the surging, we are working closely with the states. I will be speaking with the governors tomorrow to try and reinforce the need for current restrictions to not open up,” Walensky said earlier Monday. “I think what we’ll do on masking will really depend on where we are 30 days from now.”
Compare TX numbers (no mask mandate) to NY numbers (mask mandate)

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_dailytrendscases

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people in the big cities in TX still wearing masks despite the mask mandate going away? 
Pretty much. Groceries, hotels, offices, etc. At a restaurant, you take it off at your table. And people will take it off walking down the street. But in general - most places still require it and people comply. 

GOP lawmakers overturn Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly’s mask mandate

This is not a Fox LINK Safe to click. 

Reminder: people are still allowed to wear masks.

GOP lawmakers overturn Democratic Gov. Laura Kelly’s mask mandate

This is not a Fox LINK Safe to click. 

Reminder: people are still allowed to wear masks.
It’s about time we did away with the mask mandate in Kansas. People can think for themselves and use common sense when it comes to wearing a mask. 

The fact that well over a year later masks wearing is still political is mind numbingly stupid.
It's also a meaningless indicator. Can I go on an airplane? Eat in a restaurant? Go to the ballgame? Visit my friends and relatives? Is my daughter in school 5 days a week in-person? Yes to all of the above.

"But you have to wear a mask occasionally though!"

At this point it seems like people being difficult to prove some kind of point. "I won't wear a mask, I won't get the vaccine. Why are other people are still wearing masks??!!" 

It's also a meaningless indicator. Can I go on an airplane? Eat in a restaurant? Go to the ballgame? Visit my friends and relatives? Is my daughter in school 5 days a week in-person? Yes to all of the above.

"But you have to wear a mask occasionally though!"

At this point it seems like people being difficult to prove some kind of point. "I won't wear a mask, I won't get the vaccine. Why are other people are still wearing masks??!!" 
just heard a coworker say he won't get the vaccine because its too "experimental"

What does ‘opening’ mean? I live in Georgia and seems like it’s been open for a while now.
Georgia businesses will no longer be required to enforce social distancing, the ban on gatherings will be eliminated and the ability for authorities to shut down businesses that violate restrictions will be taken away. 

From NBC:

Some states with stricter rules are now seeing surges in COVID-19 cases, while many others that rushed to reopen are experiencing sizable drops. The numbers have experts scratching their heads. LINK

From NBC:

Some states with stricter rules are now seeing surges in COVID-19 cases, while many others that rushed to reopen are experiencing sizable drops. The numbers have experts scratching their heads. LINK
Interesting,  I think MI is struck with a variant.  Those other areas doing poorly are associated with colder weather and the ones improving with warmer weather - shows we still need to learn a lot

From NBC:

Covid fatigue. It's why all these restrictions don't work long term. They were helpful in flattening the curve but relatively pointless and perhaps even counterproductive since.

Users who are viewing this thread