What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's time for a new propane grill (1 Viewer)

Helaire-ious

Footballguy
Would love to get a Weber, but I am too cheap to drop that kind of $ on a grill. My current grill is a $200 Charbroil from Walmart that has lasted over 10 years. I can deal with that.

Any suggestions? Would like at least a 4 burner. 3 may do. I maybe used the side burner twice on mine so I clearly don't need that on the next one.

Would love to get a Weber, but I am too cheap to drop that kind of $ on a grill. My current grill is a $200 Charbroil from Walmart that has lasted over 10 years. I can deal with that.

Any suggestions? Would like at least a 4 burner. 3 may do. I maybe used the side burner twice on mine so I clearly don't need that on the next one.
you are gonna get the Weber treatment here man ...we have beaten this thing to death over the years.  

I went through a couple off brands that last lasted about 5 years each before going Weber

note:  I didn't take care of them ...and I really don't take very good care of the Weber either and it's over 10 years old - and still easy to regulate the temp.  Replaced two lighters and now just use a dollar store long lighter.  

Cant imagine how you got a Charbroil to last ten years. Unless you never used it. That would be the only reason not to go with Weber. 

We started using a small Blackstone Griddle while camping and loved it so much we bought a bigger one for home.  We love it and although it is a bit more clean up afterwards the flavor is amazing.  Have done steaks, Burgers (phenomenal, much better than on the grill), Fried rice, Philly cheese steaks.  And breakfast on the griddle is out of this world.

This will be the first spring/summer that we will have had the Griddle at home.  Will be interesting to see which gets used more.  The Blackstone or the old Weber Genesis (which has been a workhorse for almost 10 years (still going strong - only think I have replaced has been the flavorizer bars, temp guage and the starter went out, but I haven't replaced it yet.)  I did get some really good (re: expensive) stainless steel grill grates that have been amazing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in the Bay Area, I will sell you my Weber Genesis. All stainless.  FBG discount. 

We started using a small Blackstone Griddle while camping and loved it so much we bought a bigger one for home.  We love it and although it is a bit more clean up afterwards the flavor is amazing.  Have done steaks, Burgers (phenomenal, much better than on the grill), Fried rice, Philly cheese steaks.  And breakfast on the griddle is out of this world.

This will be the first spring/summer that we will have had the Griddle at home.  Will be interesting to see which gets used more.  The Blackstone or the old Weber Genesis (which has been a workhorse for almost 10 years (still going strong - only think I have replaced has been the flavorizer bars, temp guage and the starter went out, but I haven't replaced it yet.)  I did get some really good (re: expensive) stainless steel grill grates that have been amazing. 
I almost bought one last year. I'll have to look into it as I need a new grill or griddle this season. 

Don't listen to the Webber Snobs, 

I'm a cheapo Lowes Char----- kind of guy.  Not really that devoted to covering and cleaning it.  I can 6/7 years of heavy use out of them,

you are gonna get the Weber treatment here man ...we have beaten this thing to death over the years.  

I went through a couple off brands that last lasted about 5 years each before going Weber

note:  I didn't take care of them ...and I really don't take very good care of the Weber either and it's over 10 years old - and still easy to regulate the temp.  Replaced two lighters and now just use a dollar store long lighter.  
I didn't take care of mine that lasted 10+ years either.

Ended up ordering a Nexgrill last night from Home Depot.

This will be the first spring/summer that we will have had the Griddle at home.  Will be interesting to see which gets used more.  The Blackstone or the old Weber Genesis (which has been a workhorse for almost 10 years (still going strong - only thing I have replaced has been the flavorizer bars, temp guage and the starter went out, but I haven't replaced it yet.)  I did get some really good (re: expensive) stainless steel grill grates that have been amazing. 

Don't listen to the Webber Snobs, 

I'm a cheapo Lowes Char----- kind of guy.  Not really that devoted to covering and cleaning it.  I can 6/7 years of heavy use out of them,
I bought the grill I have now at Lowes. The dude that sold it to me told me not to spend the extra on the Weber and just get the Char-whatever. He said it'll last just as long.

I don't use mine all that much and I keep it covered/cleaned, but I've had it - I think - 8 years and it works/looks like new. It's a pretty basic model and was like $250 less than the Weber. 

you might think its time for a new grill but you are wrong it isnt take that to the bank bromigo 

Very intrigued by these. I’ve been watching youtube videos of people cooking on blackstones and was wondering if anyone here had one. 

🤣  So you asked for advice and then got a grill that same night that went against all of the suggestions?
SOP  :lmao:  

ETA:  I was at Home Depot the other day and looked at the Nexgrills.  Not in the market for one, just browsing.  They don't look too bad.  Have no idea how long they will last though.

My parents get quite a few years out of their inexpensive grills, but they always keep them covered.

Was is not ultimately my decision?

I said in my OP no Weber grill $. Some folks proceed to offer $500 suggestions anyway lol
Of course it’s your decision. My main point was not that you went against advice, it was that you acted so quickly there was really no point in asking. 😆

Ive had 2 webers...2nd one still going strong after the first lasted 10ish years, this one going on 13 years now.

Added a Kamado Joe last year that I love as well.  

If the Weber ever dies, not sure Id buy another propane.  Id probably get a smaller Kamado (just because it will light quicker and be more efficient and give me the versatility of being able to cook low on one and sear on the other for a reverse seared steak or other things.

If I did go another propane...these combos I see at Academy look cool.  Get the traditional propane on one side, the griddle on the other.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-gas-and-griddle-combo#repChildCatid=7931004

Or just flat out go with the griddle.  Id probably like it...just recently purchased a baking steel for my Kamado and did smash burgers the first time.  Will try Pizza and Hibachi on it soon as well (though, probably not the rice as with just a flat 16" diameter steel will be hard to keep rice from going everywhere.

It's not the right time of year now obviously, but if you wait until end of season sales in the fall, there are bound to be some Weber grills on clearance at various places.  I scored a $499 Weber grill for $125 a few years ago at Target for example.  You can set up alerts at various deals websites (I'm partial to SlickDeals) to alert you when Weber grills go on sale/clearance.

My Genesis is still going strong after 8+ years. Worth every penny imo. I did get mine for half price since I used a $500 HD gift card for it. 

Cjw_55106 said:
Just bought and assembled a 36” today. I’ll work on seasoning it tomorrow. I have no experience with a griddle. 
Congrats! Blackstone and others have a lot of videos on stuff. The griddle makes cooking so easy as you have so much workspace and literally can cook anything on it.

So I don’t grill over the winter months. Spring is finally approaching and went to get the grill prepped. Apparently I didn’t clean at the end of last season  <_<

The horror in there was not good. 

Also a PSA - refilling (swapping) the gas was a crazy. Every grocery store in my area was out. Found a hardware store that had one. Was a weekend and a semi-nice day so maybe a lot of people doing what I was doing.

Tons on people have bought these backyard fire pits that use the same tanks though so that might be it as well. 

Also a PSA - refilling (swapping) the gas was a crazy. Every grocery store in my area was out. Found a hardware store that had one. Was a weekend and a semi-nice day so maybe a lot of people doing what I was doing.

Tons on people have bought these backyard fire pits that use the same tanks though so that might be it as well. 
Buy a spare and keep filled in the garage.  I have 3 tanks (one for the grill, one for the outdoor fire pit and a spare) It never fails that I seem to run out in the middle of a grilling session. It makes it a lot easier to swap out and keep grilling.

Buy a spare and keep filled in the garage.  I have 3 tanks (one for the grill, one for the outdoor fire pit and a spare) It never fails that I seem to run out in the middle of a grilling session. It makes it a lot easier to swap out and keep grilling.
I am up to 4, but I also use them for other things. The patio heater burns though the gas. 

Cjw_55106 said:
Just bought and assembled a 36” today. I’ll work on seasoning it tomorrow. I have no experience with a griddle. 
Make sure you are able to get it out of direct weather even if you have a cover. I used mine all of the time when I kept it in my unfinished basement. I would just throw open the door, wheel it out and cook. Put it away after.

I finished my basement so that is no longer possible. Bought the hard metal cover and the black stone full vinyl cover. Since the top is flat the water would deep in and caused mold and rusting. 

I have completely rehabbed it twice and could never get on top of the issue. Now it just sits out with the metal cover on and I may never bother with it again.

Users who are viewing this thread