What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gagging, Wretching Stank (1 Viewer)

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
Got in my truck to take the wife to lunch today. Haven't used the truck since fishing last Saturday. Instantly remembered that I'd left a bait bucket in the rear seat.  Apparently there was a straggler shrimp(s) in it. It's been warm all week.  Gag.

Fellas, I think I'm gonna have to trade this truck in. Or light it on fire.  

Any other less (or more) extreme suggestions?  I've tried Febreze, Ozium, and plain old fresh air.

Buy a 10 pound bag of baking soda and cover every inch of fabric with it, then let it sit for at least 24 hours, then vacuum it up.

If that doesn't work, then you can try creating a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water and spraying it everywhere, then let it sit for at least 20 minutes, then wipe it up. One issue with this method is that your truck will smell like vinegar for the next month, but as the vinegar smell dissipates, it should take the fish smell along with it.

My wife had a similar situation with rotting watermelon in the trunk of her SUV. We shampooed it and then tried vinegar- that seemed to help the best but the smell never went away. Good thing it was a lease. 

Should've blamed it on the valet. 
Funny you mention this. I left it with the valet at lunch. My wife was apologizing profusely to the valet. Didn't phase him a bit. Lunch was on the water behind the bait shop so my truck was fresh by comparison.

Rent an ozone machine from your friendly neighborhood Sunbelt Rentals Climate Control location, set it in said vehicle overnight, WALA.

No bait smells good after a couple days, but shrimp somehow tops the list of nastiness. Even worse than mullet, bunker, clams, etc. good luck with that!

My buddy once lost track of a container of chicken livers in his car for a few weeks after a night of catfishing. That was a pretty close second.

New Information: It appears a shrimp(s) may have escaped the bucket.  There is just no way the truck still smells this bad from only the bucket having been in there.  Operation Stanky Shrimp Hunt will commence this afternoon.

Many years ago I arrived at a golf course to play a round, opened my trunk to retrieve my clubs, and was nearly knocked unconscious by the stank that wafted out. Apparently when I last played two weeks earlier one of my playing partners thought it would be funny to drop the dead carcass of a chipmunk into my bag, it settling at the bottom where the grips lie, then sitting in a sealed trunk through a heatwave. I had to buy a new bag, regrip all of my clubs, battled the stank for months...it was a hassle. I knew who did it but didn't say anything, never gave the perp any satisfaction. The following summer I drove from Boston to NY to play in a tournament with this same fella. On the return trip I dropped him off at a restaurant where he was meeting his family, with a plan to swing his clubs by his house the next day. Before doing so I stopped at the fish store and bought a bag of raw shell-on shrimp, and dropped them into the bottom of his bag. I met him and he threw the bag into the trunk of of brand new Saab (late 90s, when Saabs were cool). He doesn't play much, and they stewed in the summer heat until the stank permeated the main cabin.

Long story short, he had to get rid of the car a month later. Best of luck to the OP. 

Nigel said:
Many years ago I arrived at a golf course to play a round, opened my trunk to retrieve my clubs, and was nearly knocked unconscious by the stank that wafted out. Apparently when I last played two weeks earlier one of my playing partners thought it would be funny to drop the dead carcass of a chipmunk into my bag, it settling at the bottom where the grips lie, then sitting in a sealed trunk through a heatwave. I had to buy a new bag, regrip all of my clubs, battled the stank for months...it was a hassle. I knew who did it but didn't say anything, never gave the perp any satisfaction. The following summer I drove from Boston to NY to play in a tournament with this same fella. On the return trip I dropped him off at a restaurant where he was meeting his family, with a plan to swing his clubs by his house the next day. Before doing so I stopped at the fish store and bought a bag of raw shell-on shrimp, and dropped them into the bottom of his bag. I met him and he threw the bag into the trunk of of brand new Saab (late 90s, when Saabs were cool). He doesn't play much, and they stewed in the summer heat until the stank permeated the main cabin.

Long story short, he had to get rid of the car a month later. Best of luck to the OP. 
That's a nice group of friends you got there....hahaha

Ilov80s said:
My wife had a similar situation with rotting watermelon in the trunk of her SUV. We shampooed it and then tried vinegar- that seemed to help the best but the smell never went away. Good thing it was a lease. 
Finally found a positive about leasing

Users who are viewing this thread