Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Meghan Markle

26 minutes ago, mr fancypants said:

Harry I could believe, but Meghan's relishing in the spotlight.

Could be, I'm not familiar with their situation. But Harry seeing his mother die fleeing from the paparazzi makes me believe they both know what's at stake. And Diana didn't have to deal with the added toxicity that is racist British media. To be treated as a lesser human because you were born with more melanin. 

8 hours ago, Chemical X said:

this country cares why?  look, i understand harry’s mom died, but i think many other people have also had a parent pass.  

The same reason we care about the Kardasians, Taylor Swift, etc.  

6 hours ago, Capella said:

I dunno, why do you care about football? People like what they like and the royals have been a topic of conversation for centuries now. It’s weird to me people are constantly surprised by this. 

Agreed - people have been obsessed with the Royal Family for ages. I guess many like to like vicariously and fantasize about a world that, on the surface at least, seems so glamorous.

I’ve never cared for any of that stuff myself, but the fact that we have a two page thread going shows that it gets discussed regardless.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

The British royal family sucks, tabloids suck, some royals are racist, and Meghan was suicidal at one point. 

Oh, and Charles wouldn't take calls from his son for some time period. 

And the "firm" won't pay for their security

9 hours ago, Capella said:

I dunno, why do you care about football? People like what they like and the royals have been a topic of conversation for centuries now. It’s weird to me people are constantly surprised by this. 

Yep, one could just as easily make the point about why people care so much about Tom Brady or LeBron James. Cheering on millionaires and buying overpriced tickets from billionaires who use our tax money to build their stadiums. 

America didn’t have nobility to gossip about so we created our own royalty in movie stars in the 20th Century. Cary Grant, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Crawford snd Douglas Fairbanks became the American version of royalty.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yak651 said:

And the "firm" won't pay for their security

4 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

So they want out but still want the perks?  Makes sense.

Interesting dynamic there. I don't really care one way or the other aside from Harry's service in the army, props for that. Can you imagine the security though? Royals that aren't royal any longer but can't ever not be royals because if they got kidnapped, imagine what would happen? Like I said, interesting dynamic.

9 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I’m not surprised.  I just don’t understand it.   The royals should have been booted out decades ago.

Basically it comes down to, they bring in more money to England than they are paid. The country benefits from having them. 

1 hour ago, Capella said:

From what I understand, they left after security was denied for their baby, the first multi-race royal baby. I mean, what were they supposed to do at that point?

But keep in mind this is one side of the story.  I seriously doubt its this cut and dry or even if its legit or not.  Sounds incredibly suspect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EYLive said:

The whole point is they ARE trying to go away. The royal family and tabloids won't leave them alone.

so they a "sit down" with Oprah?  i mean, people kind of hang on oprah's every word here.  remember the time she made a speech and that qualified her to be president?

9 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

But keep in mind this is one side of the story.  I seriously doubt its this cut and dry or even if its legit or not.  Sounds incredibly suspect.

Well Harry backed it up and I can’t believe that guy would openly lie about his future king dad like that. 

Who knows if it is accurate but she comes off as unlikable, fake, manipulative, divaish and moody. Like that girl that is negative to people all around her but if anyome dares to be negative to her runs into her room crying about how mean everyone is to her. And Harry comes off as that husband that enables it all. 

• Like 1

My wife had this on last night, and I missed most of it.  But one moment I caught was Oprah starting to ask a question and then kind of emphasizes "you" to Meghan.  I don't even remember what the question was about.  But the totally FAKE reaction to being asked the question that Meghan had was borderline comical.  I am sure there is some truth to what was said, but some of this should not have been a surprise to her at all.  And if they just wanted freedom from the press to go do what they want, there is no reason to go on national TV and talk about your family like this.  This isn't Diana (non-blood relative alone) or some lower royal -- this is the queen's grandson.  Totally a money grab to keep their names in the news.

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My wife had this on last night, and I missed most of it.  But one moment I caught was Oprah starting to ask a question and then kind of emphasizes "you" to Meghan.  I don't even remember what the question was about.  But the totally FAKE reaction to being asked the question that Meghan had was borderline comical.  I am sure there is some truth to what was said, but some of this should not have been a surprise to her at all.  And if they just wanted freedom from the press to go do what they want, there is no reason to go on national TV and talk about your family like this.  This isn't Diana (non-blood relative alone) or some lower royal -- this is the queen's grandson.  Totally a money grab to keep their names in the news.

Well they didn't get a penny for the interviews and in the past 6mths have signed a Netflix and Spotify deal worth ~60M.

It feels like she got into this whole relationship with the intent of undermining the royal family and making them implode....and she's off to a pretty good start.

That family is so teflon, they'll likely just sit back with their mouths shut and wait for her to be insignificant so let's see what she has lined up for the next round.

7 minutes ago, Deepster said:

It feels like she got into this whole relationship with the intent of undermining the royal family and making them implode....and she's off to a pretty good start.

That family is so teflon, they'll likely just sit back with their mouths shut and wait for her to be insignificant so let's see what she has lined up for the next round.

That may be their plan but she is never going to be insignificant lol. She’s one of the most popular people in the world right now. 

12 hours ago, The Duff Man said:

Per my wife “this is her Super Bowl”. Her mom was a big royal follower and she hasn’t followed suit (thank god) but she was excited for this. 
I believe everything that was said. The royals have a symbiotic relationship with British media. They need them to remain relevant, but hate them at the same time. 

That whole “institution” seems archaic and messed up so don’t mind seeing it get knocked down a bit. 

One thing not mentioned above. Harry said he was trapped and is now free. He said his dad and brother are trapped and don’t even know it, just like he used to be. Thought that was interesting and rang true. 

Anybody that grew up in any type of "family business" and got out, can relate...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I’m not surprised.  I just don’t understand it.   The royals should have been booted out decades ago.

The royals are a pretty big income generator for the UK.

13 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Clearly people care. More people may have watched their interview than watched the SB. Can’t explain why, but the world is a pretty big place and the Royal Family is big news in many other places. 

Yeah, you said "may have" but lets not get crazy loose with the facts. Less than 20M watched this. The SB gets about 100M. 

14 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

The British royal family sucks, tabloids suck, some royals are racist, and Meghan was suicidal at one point. 

A lot of these are general, but serious charges like this need to be backed up.  I assume there was no specifics on this part, just a woe is me story?

10 minutes ago, Sand said:

A lot of these are general, but serious charges like this need to be backed up.  I assume there was no specifics on this part, just a woe is me story?

Not sure why you'd assume that.  Meghan claimed (and Harry backed up) that someone(s) in the royal family speculated on how dark her baby's skin would be and how that would look.  Terrible, terrible comment.  I don't think that's a "woe is me" story at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sand said:

Wrong assumption. She gave details. 

3 minutes ago, Sand said:

Cool - which royal said that?

Harry confirmed it. They wouldn’t say the name. You can believe it or not, I truly don’t care. 

I will say thinking Harry would go on worldwide tv and lie about his family like that is a pretty big leap. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Capella said:

Harry confirmed it. They wouldn’t say the name. You can believe it or not, I truly don’t care. 

I will say thinking Harry would go on worldwide tv and lie about his family like that is a pretty big leap. 

Of course he confirmed it 

39 minutes ago, Capella said:

Probably not.  Odd thing to say, too.  When you look at that couple you have to think is that they are very likely going to have some pretty good looking kids.

Edited by Sand

So while Harry apparently said it wasn’t the Queen or Prince Philip who made the comments, Prince Philip has a long history of lovely comments.

[quote] 2. "It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons," he muttered while being shown Ethiopian art in 1965.

7. "If you stay here much longer you will all be slitty-eyed," the Prince told British exchange students who lived in Xian in 1986. When asked on his opinion of Beijing, he replied: "Ghastly."

8. "If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Again with the Chinese insults, when he addressed a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.

11. "You can't have been here that long — you haven't got a pot belly," he told a British tourist during a visit to Budapest in 1993.

12. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?," he enquired to an islander while in the Cayman Islands in 1994.

15. "You managed not to get eaten then?" the Prince asked a British student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, in 1998.

19. "Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

20. "So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs," he said of a 14-year-old boy while at a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

21. "You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

[/quote]

Just a few of the lovely things he’s said in public.

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

Not sure why you'd assume that.  Meghan claimed (and Harry backed up) that someone(s) in the royal family speculated on how dark her baby's skin would be and how that would look.  Terrible, terrible comment.  I don't think that's a "woe is me" story at all.

Is that really racist? People always wonder what color hair or eyes a baby would have. I imagine many biracial couples also wonder how dark the babies skin will be.

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Harry, the same guy who wore a Nazi costume at a Halloween party

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Yeah, you said "may have" but lets not get crazy loose with the facts. Less than 20M watched this. The SB gets about 100M. 

We'll have to see what the global numbers are. The total probably is less than the hype they gave it (and thus less than the SB), but in other countries it was probably more of interest than American football. It probably won't get near 140-150 million global viewers like the SB, but I think it still will be one of the most watched programs of the year.

16 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Don't lump Taylor Swift into this realm.  She's earned everything she has in life.  

Swift in regards to her personal life.

18 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Swift in regards to her personal life.

Gotcha.  Thought maybe you were comparing her to the Kardashians who have money in fame for reasons I don't understand.  

I also could live another 10 lifetimes and not understand the fascination with the royal family.  Utterly bizarre to me.  

Swift :wub:

2 hours ago, Capella said:

That may be their plan but she is never going to be insignificant lol. She’s one of the most popular people in the world right now. 

"Right now".  The Royal Family has their sights set on longer timelines than what's trending on TMZ this morning.

Honestly don't understand the Meghan hate based on last night.  She came off to me as bright, sincere and straightforward.  She also avoided throwing people under the bus because in some cases it would have been too damaging.  Or it's already been hashed out.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Sure they were Royals which doesn't inspire empathy, but does anyone question how boxed in their lives were? Does anyone doubt the existence of the Firm? Does anyone doubt Prince Charles is a doosh? After having your mother killed by papparazzi chasing her does anyone doubt their request for full-time security for their own kids (and their parents)? Does anyone doubt the viciousness of the UK press/tabloids? Does anyone doubt the spin machine at Buckingham Palace? 

She answered every question directly.  She was straight up.  If Kate wants to dispute who made who cry and who apologized the ball is in her court.  If the Firm wants to say no, we never pulled security, or their son's Prince title, or that we never mentioned the color of the baby's skin - it's in their court to do it.

Money was never the issue.  They were going to have money either way.  I credit them for questioning the validity of certain protocols.  And, if the communication was as bad as they say the Royals should have expected it.  All they care about is William anyway.  Next real heir to the throne.  Now if they wanted to get out the Queen herself would've thrown her body in front of that train to stop it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mr fancypants said:
16 hours ago, EYLive said:

The whole point is they ARE trying to go away. The royal family and tabloids won't leave them alone.

Harry I could believe, but Meghan's relishing in the spotlight.

Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
He's got a daytime job, he's doing alright

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2