What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge. (1 Viewer)

So what is the solution?
Right now, there isn’t one.  Both sides enjoy having this as a wedge issue to rile up their base.  It’s obvious from most of the posts in here which are the opposite of how many felt back when Trump was in charge (by both teams).  These are human beings used as political pawns and we sit back with gotchas and laughing at the other side - seems like many don’t really give a damn about these people.

Right now, there isn’t one.  Both sides enjoy having this as a wedge issue to rile up their base.  It’s obvious from most of the posts in here which are the opposite of how many felt back when Trump was in charge (by both teams).  These are human beings used as political pawns and we sit back with gotchas and laughing at the other side - seems like many don’t really give a damn about these people.
Here is kamala’s big chance to shine.  

:doh:

There is a woman that works at the gas station up the street that has a tic like this.  Laughs/giggles after just about every sentence.   Obviously she can't help it, but I will be honest and say it is unsettling the first few times.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is the solution?
 Improve the bureaucracy of legal immigration to make it more attractive for migrants to go through. Deinsentivise coming here illegally. Make it clear that they are welcome to become a citizen but need to get in line like every one else. Finishing the wall is a part of this. 

This will never happen because like others said, this helps both sides have their gotcha sound bites for election season. GOP get their cheap labor. Democrats increase their voter base. In the end, neither side cares. 

Link

Pretty much.   I don't have the answer, but looking at the situation and looking at the stats in the article and that have been posted several times (and mostly ignored), this is not new, the border wasn't sealed during the last 4 years (if so, why that spike in 2019?), but I get people on the right wanting to jump on this after all the backlash and kids in cages stuff.  Understandable.   The conditions and situation was disgusting then, and it's disgusting now.   

There is a woman that works at the gas station up the street that has a tic like this.  Laughs/giggles after just about every sentence.   Obviously she can't help it, but I will be honest and say it is unsettling the first few times.  
Obviously Harris can't help it. Clearly she's a victim.

Good thing he put someone else in charge.  He doesn't clue what is going on does he?

“I will commit when my plan, very shortly, is underway, to let you have access to not just them but the other facilities as well,” Biden told a reporter at the White House.

Pressed on the issue, the president said he “will commit to transparency, as soon as I am in a position to be able to implement what we’re doing right now.”

But he added, “I don’t know” when exactly that will be.

Biden also said that he has yet to visit the southern border because “I don’t want to become the issue.”
:mellow:   Jesus, this/he is a mess.

"Truth of the matter is nothing has changed. ... As many people came, 28% increase in the children in the border in my administration, 31% in the last year in 2019 before the pandemic in the Trump administration. It happens every single solitary year,"
Hey Joe, it's a good thing you're holding this press conference now because your 28% is just getting started.  You're going to shatter the record, by a lot.

Send them back Joe!   :thumbup:

When asked if these unaccompanied minors would be allowed to stay in the US, or would they be deported eventually, Biden said, "Well, the judgment has to be made whether or not — and this young man's case, he has a mom at home. There's an overwhelming reason why he'd be put on a plane and flown back to his mom."

Send them back Joe!   :thumbup:
This subjective case-by-case decision making is a complete disaster. Whether or not someone "has a mom at home" is irrelevant to effective policy.

How many non-criminal people per year and from where. Let those numbers in. After the quota is filled close the gates.

Deport anyone over that amount unless some type of refugee crisis (e.g. Vietnam/Syria) going on.

Why do these idiot politicians have to create such a cluster?

This subjective case-by-case decision making is a complete disaster. Whether or not someone "has a mom at home" is irrelevant to effective policy.

How many non-criminal people per year and from where. Let those numbers in. After the quota is filled close the gates.

Deport anyone over that amount unless some type of refugee crisis (e.g. Vietnam/Syria) going on.

Why do these idiot politicians have to create such a cluster?
Once they figure that out, suddenly no one will have a mom at home.

According to ben shapiro 87% of families are being released into interior without even a court date right now. 

I havent vetted it. Anybody heard this stat yet? 

2,000+ children positive for covid. Leading to 1,000+ border and relocation officers self reporting positive covid cases. 

But maybe if we are good we can take off our masks for the 4th of July!  

Time for people to start being responsible for the policies they support. Put up or shut up time. @timschochet. How many of the unaccompanied minors are you fostering?  Or are you all talk? 

Before she had any responsibility "There is no reason kids should be held in cages, like prisoners. No reason."  - Momala. 

This is really bad. Axios got documents from DHS purporting to show this: 

Axios

@axios

Biden: “We’re sending back the vast majority of families that are coming.” Reality check: The Biden administration expelled just 13% of migrant families in the last week, according to DHS data leaked to Axios.

The Biden administration expelled under 50% of migrant families in February and in the last week, according to multiple fact-checkers

During the first press conference of his presidency, Biden said that his administration is sending back “the vast majority of families that are coming” over the US-Mexico border. Axios reports that only 13% of families were sent back in the past week. CNN and reports that 41% of families were sent back in February and that the majority of single adults are being set back at a rate of 79%. WSJ reports that the majority of people crossing the border are single adults, not children.

Axios

@axios

Biden: “We’re sending back the vast majority of families that are coming.” Reality check: The Biden administration expelled just 13% of migrant families in the last week, according to DHS data leaked to Axios.

The Biden administration expelled under 50% of migrant families in February and in the last week, according to multiple fact-checkers

During the first press conference of his presidency, Biden said that his administration is sending back “the vast majority of families that are coming” over the US-Mexico border. Axios reports that only 13% of families were sent back in the past week. CNN and reports that 41% of families were sent back in February and that the majority of single adults are being set back at a rate of 79%. WSJ reports that the majority of people crossing the border are single adults, not children.
Yeah...bad to just lie about that or get it flat out wrong (if he meant non-families).  With the last line there being mostly single adults (and most of them getting sent back), he could have highlighted something like that instead.  All around still a trainwreck by the administration when it comes to the border.

Listened to a good podcast yesterday that had an author who has covered the border for a decade+.  Interesting to hear him talk about it.   Some of the stuff that I took away - 

Like people have said, this has been a problem for a long time and continue to be so.  Deterrents don't matter much as we have people trying to escape their hunger and poverty.  We offer a glimmer of hope, so they will try regardless.

The wall had unintended consequences - the smugglers used that as reason to increase traffic by selling the idea that it's only going to get worse, so you have to try now.  Plus there is serious injuries and death as they scale the wall anyway.  

There was going to be more 'hope' sold to the people no matter what Biden says. That is the smuggler's angle now.  

Title 42 was good for the smugglers and fed their pockets because the unintended consequence was they could charge people again as they got kicked out right away.  

The smugglers are a lot more savvy with the SM and selling people the message than we might think or talk about.  Ads, videos of people scaling the wall with ease, selling them on the hope of Biden, etc..  

Talks to many that come here who say that we talk out of both sides of our mouth.  We tell them they aren't wanted, keep them detained, and then there is no lack of jobs for them when they get here.  

Axios

@axios

Why is it really bad? 

2,240 apprehended in 3 hour period in Del Rio.  Including 3 sex offenders.  

Oh, and a 9 year old DEAD. 

Nice work Nap Time Joe and Momala.  

Listened to a good podcast yesterday that had an author who has covered the border for a decade+.  Interesting to hear him talk about it.   Some of the stuff that I took away - 

Like people have said, this has been a problem for a long time and continue to be so.  Deterrents don't matter much as we have people trying to escape their hunger and poverty.  We offer a glimmer of hope, so they will try regardless.

The wall had unintended consequences - the smugglers used that as reason to increase traffic by selling the idea that it's only going to get worse, so you have to try now.  Plus there is serious injuries and death as they scale the wall anyway.  

There was going to be more 'hope' sold to the people no matter what Biden says. That is the smuggler's angle now.  

Title 42 was good for the smugglers and fed their pockets because the unintended consequence was they could charge people again as they got kicked out right away.  

The smugglers are a lot more savvy with the SM and selling people the message than we might think or talk about.  Ads, videos of people scaling the wall with ease, selling them on the hope of Biden, etc..  

Talks to many that come here who say that we talk out of both sides of our mouth.  We tell them they aren't wanted, keep them detained, and then there is no lack of jobs for them when they get here.  
Oh my.  I bet you can download this on CNN

Fantastic read.   A good reminder for when Biden gets booted out of office and Dems get back to demonizing the border, and Repubs get back to pretending this isn't a crisis.

What I find frustrating about both media coverage (which this article touches on) and also the government response is....the lack of focus on identifying the root causes of the situation.  It's pretty hard to develop good solutions to problems when you haven't first identified the actual problems.....to be solved.

It’s interesting (but not surprising) that somebody finds your post funny.

”The crisis is not that these children—some 80 percent of whom, according to DHS, have relatives in the U.S.—are arriving and applying for asylum, which some of them will get and some of them won’t. They are children; they are not a threat to American sovereignty, security, or stability. The crisis is that the American system so frequently treats them like refuse.”

Hysterical. 

It’s interesting (but not surprising) that somebody finds your post funny.

”The crisis is not that these children—some 80 percent of whom, according to DHS, have relatives in the U.S.—are arriving and applying for asylum, which some of them will get and some of them won’t. They are children; they are not a threat to American sovereignty, security, or stability. The crisis is that the American system so frequently treats them like refuse.”

Hysterical. 
Yeah.   Really hard to fathom what was funny about the post, the link, or the content.

Yeah.   Really hard to fathom what was funny about the post, the link, or the content.
I get the feeling are many that don't want to hear anything besides Biden royally f'd up, apologies for not having exact same reactions to the conditions as there were the last 4 years, and that the borders are totally open now.   Probably what the laughing came from.  

I get the feeling are many that don't want to hear anything besides Biden royally f'd up, apologies for not having exact same reactions to the conditions as there were the last 4 years, and that the borders are totally open now.   Probably what the laughing came from.  
Unlikely it was even read.  Just assumed it was slanted and had no idea it was critical of bof sidez.

Time for people to start being responsible for the policies they support. Put up or shut up time. @timschochet. How many of the unaccompanied minors are you fostering?  Or are you all talk? 
I’ve considered it in the past. I’m not in a situation in my life where I can do that unfortunately. What I HAVE done is given money to organizations who try to help these children and fight for them. And I will continue to do so. 

Others have commented on your cavalier attitude towards this entire issue. I won’t add anything except that I agree and find it shameful, 

I’ve considered it in the past. I’m not in a situation in my life where I can do that unfortunately. What I HAVE done is given money to organizations who try to help these children and fight for them. And I will continue to do so. 

Others have commented on your cavalier attitude towards this entire issue. I won’t add anything except that I agree and find it shameful, 
As do I.   :(

That's zero, none, nada from Tim. All talk and no action just as I suspected. 

The US just isnt in a position where we can do that either. Send them back. 

tonydead said:
That's zero, none, nada from Tim. All talk and no action just as I suspected. 

The US just isnt in a position where we can do that either. Send them back. 
Not true. We can help them. You just don’t want to. 

Users who are viewing this thread