Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge.


Recommended Posts

On 3/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, FairWarning said:

It’s basically open borders right now.  Ok, how about we tighten the borders, then talk about financing?

I am trying to read up and understand this talking point.   My understanding is that what Biden did was take away the previous policy of expelling children without parents (which led to them being released to Mexico no matter what their country of origin is), but there are still a large number of people being expelled currently.     Yes, it's a #### show as we see this rush of kids across the border in the last couple months, but I don't see how that is an open border.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tim... come on man. My views lean left but CNN most certainly has a liberal bias. Watching Cuomo on primetime isn't much different than a Hannity or Tucker Carlson on Fox. At the end of the day, they'

Did I say he didn't?  If you're gonna stutter over but trump then do the same for Obama.  Otherwise, it's on Biden to deal with now and has nothing to do with Trump.  That's just a lazy way to deflect

If you log in to an internet message board and look for things to report.... without even knowing what you’re talking about... you might be better off finding something else to do

20 hours ago, timschochet said:

Immigrants don’t come here based on rhetoric from Presidents, welcoming or unwelcoming. They come here because there are jobs here, or to escape the wretched conditions in their own country, or both. 
If you want to stop them from coming (I do not, but many of you do), there are only two ways to do it: fix the countries they come from, or have a severe economic recession/depression in this country. 

Why can't it be both?    Yes, they are coming here anyway, but I don't think it's coincidence that we have seen an influx after Biden took over.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am trying to read up and understand this talking point.   My understanding is that what Biden did was take away the previous policy of expelling children without parents (which led to them being released to Mexico no matter what their country of origin is), but there are still a large number of people being expelled currently.     Yes, it's a #### show as we see this rush of kids across the border in the last couple months, but I don't see how that is an open border.  

Is anyone being turned away?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Is anyone being turned away?

Mayorkas noted that the "majority" of those apprehended at the Southern border are actually single adults, who are being expelled.

Link

 

In February, around 9,500 children who were not accompanied by their legal guardian were detained by American officials.

Over 100,000 people in total were stopped from trying to cross into the US that month.

Link

 

 

Again, my understanding is that the main policy change was taking away the part of the previous policy of sending away kids without parents, not that we are now letting anybody in.   And yes - that flood of kids without parents is turning it into a crap storm as we don't have the facilities to move them to better conditions quickly.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Again, my understanding is that the main policy change was taking away the part of the previous policy of sending away kids without parents, not that we are now letting anybody in.   And yes - that flood of kids without parents is turning it into a crap storm as we don't have the facilities to move them to better conditions quickly.  

From what I have heard multiple times is that the children are being sent through to distract and overwhelm border security to make it easier to smuggle others through different areas. Adults being apprehended may be being sent back but there are many more getting through without being caught.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamny said:

From what I have heard multiple times is that the children are being sent through to distract and overwhelm border security to make it easier to smuggle others through different areas. Adults being apprehended may be being sent back but there are many more getting through without being caught.

have you read that somewhere?  

I was listening to a couple pods this am and one said that smugglers were claiming it's open and that some coming across were citing the belief that the policies are more inviting for trying, but I've not seen or heard claims of what you are posting here. v

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

have you read that somewhere?  

I was listening to a couple pods this am and one said that smugglers were claiming it's open and that some coming across were citing the belief that the policies are more inviting for trying, but I've not seen or heard claims of what you are posting here. v

I heard it mentioned by border patrol officers on a few occasions on the news. It isn't anything new but they've taken advantage of the situation by doing it at a larger scale than they've seen before.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Why can't it be both?    Yes, they are coming here anyway, but I don't think it's coincidence that we have seen an influx after Biden took over.   

Exactly, we can disagree over what policy is correct but people who bury their head in the sand to try and deny this is baffling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:
9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Why can't it be both?    Yes, they are coming here anyway, but I don't think it's coincidence that we have seen an influx after Biden took over.   

Exactly, we can disagree over what policy is correct but people who bury their head in the sand to try and deny this is baffling.

Agreed here....when was the last time an influx DIDN'T happen under a new President?  Every time there's a perceived turn over, there's a test.  It's like watching the sunrise and sunset.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 10:22 AM, FairWarning said:

The solution was to not let them in until a program was set up and stiaffed.  Biden couldn’t sign that executive order fast enough to show up Trump.

This I agree with. Biden screwed the pooch on this one. But lets try to be a little bit fair. He's been in office two months and had ZERO transition, in the midst of a pandemic. Things have been a little busy in the White House. Trump would have made two trips to his Florida resort for several rounds of golf by now

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, renesauz said:

This I agree with. Biden screwed the pooch on this one. But lets try to be a little bit fair. He's been in office two months and had ZERO transition, in the midst of a pandemic. Things have been a little busy in the White House. Trump would have made two trips to his Florida resort for several rounds of golf by now

If he was so busy why not just continue the status quo, which was working btw, instead of changing policy to one he was not equipped to handle?

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, renesauz said:

This I agree with. Biden screwed the pooch on this one. But lets try to be a little bit fair. He's been in office two months and had ZERO transition, in the midst of a pandemic. Things have been a little busy in the White House. Trump would have made two trips to his Florida resort for several rounds of golf by now

Ridiculous take 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, John123 said:

 

 

27 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

That’s completely unacceptable by any Administration, never mind one that promised transparency.

This is bad policy by Biden, and it’s not going to end well for him.

Glad you guys are finally coming around :thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, John123 said:

If he was so busy why not just continue the status quo, which was working btw, instead of changing policy to one he was not equipped to handle?

Define "working" here....that's the completely wrong word for "ignoring it and just making everyone stay in Mexico"...all that does is make the backlog larger...does nothing for the individuals.

Edited by The Commish
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, John123 said:

If he was so busy why not just continue the status quo, which was working btw, instead of changing policy to one he was not equipped to handle?

what was the EO and change?  was it something besides what was posted earlier about not turning away kids by themselves? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, renesauz said:

This I agree with. Biden screwed the pooch on this one. But lets try to be a little bit fair. He's been in office two months and had ZERO transition, in the midst of a pandemic. Things have been a little busy in the White House. Trump would have made two trips to his Florida resort for several rounds of golf by now

Only 2?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John123 said:

Coming around on what?

The disaster that is our border.  Been this way for decades and it needs to be fixed.  Give me lawyers, judges and strengthened points of entry now!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

what was the EO and change?  was it something besides what was posted earlier about not turning away kids by themselves? 

He's no longer stripping parents of their kids.  Outside of that, I am not sure what all else changed other than "not ignoring" the problem by just making them pile up in Mexico and doing nothing with them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Commish said:

The disaster that is our border.  Been this way for decades and it needs to be fixed.  Give me lawyers, judges and strengthened points of entry now!!!!

Can you point me to the posts where I've ever said anything but our border is a disaster?   Otherwise, your comment comes off a bit snarky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John123 said:

Can you point me to the posts where I've ever said anything but our border is a disaster?   Otherwise, your comment comes off a bit snarky. 

Until just recently ?  No...I can't.  I can't find anything from you commenting on our border prior to Biden's election....is there an alias I should be looking at instead of this handle?

Edited by The Commish
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John123 said:

Unnamed sources. This story would be better written if nbcnews had stated they were limited and also got some other publications to say how they were limited as far as information. 

I admit I read it fast on my phone, so if thatvis in there I apologize. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Until just recently ?  No...I can't.  I can't find anything from you commenting on our border prior to Biden's election....is there an alias I should be looking at instead of this handle?

No, there isn't.  I'm relatively new here.  I read for quite a long time and then created an account.  I guess my point is that maybe you shouldn't lump people you don't know in to your generalizations. 

Edited by John123
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John123 said:

No, there isn't.  I'm relatively new here.  I read for quite a long time and then created an account.  I guess my point is that maybe you shouldn't lump people you don't know in to your generalizations. 

Not sure I follow....you DON'T care about the border crisis then?  Not sure what you think I generalized :oldunsure:  I've never seen a post (that I remember anyway) regarding our border issues from you prior to Biden.  I've been pretty vocal here for many years about the border issues, regardless of President, so I figured I'd have run across at least one post prior given our apparent agreement that there's an issue.  Glad to see someone else on board with wanting to get things in check :thumbup: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tonydead said:

Illegal immigrants regularly being released without Covid tests. 

American citizens - you cannot come back into the coutry without a negative test. 

WTF?

I brought this up awhile back 

🦗

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

I brought this up awhile back 

🦗

Pretty sure multiple people brought up that this isn't good.  

Do we have to post every day that it's not good to do this? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Pretty sure multiple people brought up that this isn't good.  

Do we have to post every day that it's not good to do this? 

People should be freaking outraged.  I mean letting covid positive people loose that don't belong here out in the general public?  I mean it's not quite Cuomo nursing home bad, but, it's close.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Pretty sure multiple people brought up that this isn't good.  

Do we have to post every day that it's not good to do this? 

 

Just now, tonydead said:

People should be freaking outraged.  I mean letting covid positive people loose that don't belong here out in the general public?  I mean it's not quite Cuomo nursing home bad, but, it's close.

What @tonydead said

Its a joke 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

 

What @tonydead said

Its a joke 

I agree it's bad, but I guess I am not quite to the level of outrage that he evidently thinks I should be.   

For sure a test should be part of the equation, especially when they get out of the initial holding area.  I don't think quarantining them in the initial detention centers for 2 weeks is going to end well, but I think we are at the point where they should be getting a COVID test there.   We have to agree that it's a problem or not.   On that topic, people on the other side who don't seem to think COVID is a big issue shouldn't all of a sudden claim outrage that this is a huge issue, and I have seen that happen too.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is an interesting turn of events....all these talking points are one jumbled mess it seems.  So today, we should be worried about testing and doing the right thing?

I mean...that's my general belief and I think it's woefully dumb not to be testing and that includes at our border today, but that's my been my belief the whole time.  It's weird to see some getting worked up about this NOW after spending months in the world of "justaflu" and "these lockdowns are so dumb...it's not a big deal".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Well, this is an interesting turn of events....all these talking points are one jumbled mess it seems.  So today, we should be worried about testing and doing the right thing?

I mean...that's my general belief and I think it's woefully dumb not to be testing and that includes at our border today, but that's my been my belief the whole time.  It's weird to see some getting worked up about this NOW after spending months in the world of "justaflu" and "these lockdowns are so dumb...it's not a big deal".

 

I think “ if our citizens have to pass a Covid test to return to their homes from a trip to Mexico, then people coming illegally across the border should too” is a fair opinion whether you think Covid is dangerous or “justaflu”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

Well, this is an interesting turn of events....all these talking points are one jumbled mess it seems.  So today, we should be worried about testing and doing the right thing?

I mean...that's my general belief and I think it's woefully dumb not to be testing and that includes at our border today, but that's my been my belief the whole time.  It's weird to see some getting worked up about this NOW after spending months in the world of "justaflu" and "these lockdowns are so dumb...it's not a big deal".

This makes no sense. Guess you never heard of the saying "Whats good for the goose is good for the gander"

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jobarules said:

This makes no sense. Guess you never heard of the saying "Whats good for the goose is good for the gander"

Oh, I've heard it....many times.  I just refuse to set my bar that low.  That's all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

 

I think “ if our citizens have to pass a Covid test to return to their homes from a trip to Mexico, then people coming illegally across the border should too” is a fair opinion whether you think Covid is dangerous or “justaflu”.

I guess this is where I don't get the "justaflu" guys....I don't see why they'd care one way or the other.  I mean, it's "justaflu" right?  To me, they'd think it's as dumb to test the illegals as it is the people coming home.  Maybe I'm missing the uproar over actually having to test US citizens coming back in the country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I guess this is where I don't get the "justaflu" guys....I don't see why they'd care one way or the other.  I mean, it's "justaflu" right?  To me, they'd think it's as dumb to test the illegals as it is the people coming home.  Maybe I'm missing the uproar over actually having to test US citizens coming back in the country?

They may think it's dumb but testing is still being forced on one set of people entering the country and not another. That's the part you are missing.

Edited by jobarules
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jobarules said:

They may think it's dumb but testing is still being forced on one set of people entering the country and not another. That's the part you are missing.

"people should be freaking outraged" according to one FBG poster.  

IMO it's more accurate to say that most that think it's dumb are mostly using this as a "gotcha"  for Biden and libs.  Feels like it's being suggested that if they aren't outraged and bringing it up on the daily they truly don't take covid seriously. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jobarules said:

They may think it's dumb but testing is still being forced on one set of people entering the country and not another. That's the part you are missing.

No....I understand that. Its just curious to me why that segment of the population cares.....about any of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

No....I understand that. Its just curious to me why that segment of the population cares.....about any of it. 

It's not that difficult. 

1- Equal treatment is a foundation of who we are. 

2- Has the potential to really mess up travel plans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14,000 minors detained. 

All border patrol on gag order to not talk to the press.  No entry into facilities. 

Jebus, imagine if it was the previous guy doing this. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • NorvilleBarnes changed the title to Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...