Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Derek Chauvin trial. Death of George Floyd. Guilty on all counts.

Just now, steeler6 said:

Would you feel the same way if you were on the jury and you thought there was a chance your identity could get out?

I try to always give my honest opinion - even when I shouldn't.

In a murder case where I felt the case was not proven - I absolutely would stand firm.

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I'm not really sure how Jan 6th and this are analogous. I really don't. I've been hyper-critical of the events of Jan. 6th and the intimidation and provocation factors that seem to be the issues there. For instance, I think Donald Trump implicitly incited that riot and have no real sympathy for those taking part in it, other than those who are mentally ill or completely led astray by conspiracy theories. I feel sympathy for them. Other than that, I think they should be prosecuted fully.

I'm not seeing the connection between that and witness intimidation, though.

You don’t think Pence or others could have felt pressure on Jan 6th, based on the known presence of a large crowd of protestors?

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Fair enough.

I have CBS on in the background - I don't think I realized that a plea deal broke down where Chauvin had agreed to significant time in prison, but Barr would not sign off on the deal, so it unraveled.

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of the case to specifically comment on stuff like that. I've only been really following the trial through the lens of watching the area and watching the coverage of it. It looks like a sporting event today. That can't be good for justice as we understand it.

But I take your point also about faith in the system and verdicts, good or bad. You've been pretty consistent about your belief (or thoughts, more accurately) in the system and its processes, and it's admirable that you place process over feeling. That's something I learned today about you. I think that's pretty righteous, frankly.

8 minutes ago, TakiToki said:

Yup. If for some reason I were on the jury and unable to get tossed from it, I would be voting guilty on the highest count, even if I thought he were innocent.

Genuine response: please say this if you get picked for jury duty. I'm serious. There's nothing wrong with you saying this. Your honesty will be appreciated - most of all by the defendant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

wow - I assume this is hyperbole.  Illegal and sanctionable obviously, but just morally corrupt imo to put an innocent man in prison.

I agree. I would put my personal safety above my morals.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sinn Fein said:

I try to always give my honest opinion - even when I shouldn't.

In a murder case where I felt the case was not proven - I absolutely would stand firm.

I applaud you for this. There's just no way I would risk putting my family through what would happen if my identity was made public. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So out of curiousity.... 

What is the acceptable amount of arson, vandalism, burglary, and grand theft tonight before it crosses from "celebrating" into "criminal riots"?  

Sounds loaded but is an honest question of those in here who have defended previous riots/burning/looting. 

ETA: I haven't been following the case too closely so I accept the jury's verdict as fair assessment and distribution of justice :thumbup: 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Fair enough.

I have CBS on in the background - I don't think I realized that a plea deal broke down where Chauvin had agreed to significant time in prison, but Barr would not sign off on the deal, so it unraveled.

Why would Barr have had to sign off? 

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

So out of curiousity.... 

What is the acceptable amount of arson, vandalism, burglary, and grand theft tonight before it crosses from "celebrating" into "criminal riots"?  

It should be 0.

• Like 6

Just now, steeler6 said:

I applaud you for this. There's just no way I would risk putting my family through what would happen if my identity was made public. 

Thankfully most people aren't like you.

People that stand with their values have brought down the mob, gangs etc...it's how our justice system functions

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So out of curiousity.... 

I'd image the same as when a team wins a championship and people start flipping and burning cars celebrating......

Edited by dkp993
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

You don’t think Pence or others could have felt pressure on Jan 6th, based on the known presence of a large crowd of protestors?

Oh. Yes. I was struggling with what you were getting at. Doing the right thing in face of the mob. Certainly he did that, as did the other brave souls that certified the election that were under enormous pressure not to do so. Yes, there were people that acted not in their own interest. But, to wit: What about the other members of his party that chose to still question the election after the mob had descended? It could be said they were voting their conscience. I hardly believe that. I think they caved to simple party pressure regarding their careers; never mind what they would have done if the pressure was about their lives. That's what I think might be a counterargument to your analogy with this case as the media coverage and intimidation relate to the jurors.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zow said:

Genuine response: please say this if you get picked for jury duty. I'm serious. There's nothing wrong with you saying this. Your honesty will be appreciated - most of all by the defendant. 

Kinda funny we had this exchange some time back. I meant what I said then, and I mean what I've said here. So, when I say that I would go against my morals, I'd really, really be going against my morals.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:03 PM, TakiToki said:

Never been summoned, but I think it would be interesting to serve on a jury. I'd almost certainly be a boon to the defense, as I would vote not guilty for any drug or prostitution (at least with respect to the prostitute her- or himself) charges regardless of evidence, and imagine I'd require a higher a standard than most in property crimes. But doubt I'd make it that far, as I would certainly be whacked by the prosecutor were I to answer questions with a semblance of honesty.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:06 PM, Zow said:

You say any of this (and you should if a question is asked and the bolded is your honest answer) and you're almost a certainty to be struck for cause. 

• Like 1

People who were following this very closely did you have any doubts that he would be found guilty? @NorvilleBarnes you were posting good info frequently, did you have an opinion of what would happen from what you saw?

Not following super closely but watching nightly updates and skimming a bit it seemed pretty obvious this would be the outcome.

4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Sentencing will be in 8 Weeks

Defendant - bail revoked, remanded into custody

Interesting visual on CNN's coverage - defendant gets handcuffed and led out a door as the camera lingers on the door slowly closing shut.  

1 minute ago, Zow said:

Why would Barr have had to sign off? 

They did not really say - just that he would not get involved, and as a result a federal plea deal unraveled.  I did not really know anything about it to put it into context

Just now, Sinn Fein said:

They did not really say - just that he would not get involved, and as a result a federal plea deal unraveled.  I did not really know anything about it to put it into context

I'm super confused. Wasn't Chauvin charged in state court? 

Just now, Cowboysfan8 said:

Buncha sad looters and arsonists tonight

4 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So out of curiousity.... 

Sounds loaded but is an honest question of those in here who have defended previous riots/burning/looting. 

ETA: I haven't been following the case too closely so I accept the jury's verdict as fair assessment and distribution of justice :thumbup: 

Yeah I didn’t think of the celebration looting and burnings.....

🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So out of curiousity.... 

People defended riots, looting, and burning?

Not sure I have seen such on here.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

From my limited knowledge of the circumstances and having only watched the video and heard disseminated evidence, it seems like justice was served here. It's unfortunate for all involved, though, and I wouldn't be happy about it. I don't think people will be so wrongheaded as to celebrate or to celebrate, in the words of one person on the board, "Justice!!!," but it does seem like it was done here. I've also constantly overestimated people all of my life, so watch celebratory riots break out or something.

Just now, Zow said:

I think that is where it ended up - but perhaps he was negotiating the plea deal with the US Attorney for federal charges, and when that fell through, the state moved forward.

2 minutes ago, Zow said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/10/us/george-floyd-death.html

MINNEAPOLIS — It was three days after George Floyd died in police custody last May, and businesses in the Twin Cities were on fire. Police officers were shooting rubber bullets and tear gas to hold back protesters, their anger fueled by a cellphone video of Mr. Floyd, a Black man, gasping for breath under the knee of a white officer.

As soldiers prepared to take to the streets, the officer, Derek Chauvin, believed that the case against him was so devastating that he agreed to plead guilty to third-degree murder. As part of the deal, officials now say, he was willing to go to prison for more than 10 years. Local officials, scrambling to end the community’s swelling anger, scheduled a news conference to announce the deal.

But at the last minute, according to new details laid out by three law enforcement officials, the deal fell apart after William P. Barr, the attorney general at the time, rejected the arrangement. The deal was contingent on the federal government’s approval because Mr. Chauvin, who had asked to serve his time in a federal prison, wanted assurance he would not face federal civil rights charges.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

I think that is where it ended up - but perhaps he was negotiating the plea deal with the US Attorney for federal charges, and when that fell through, the state moved forward.

Ah. Makes sense then. 

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

If ONLY they had the ability to cover more than one story at a time...  

There is a time and a place for it, and this is probably the wrong time and place to be covering another news anchor's masturbatory habits and #metoo'ing him on the news. Sort of a sliding scale of priorities would dictate that this story would be at the absolute bottom of all narrative constructs.

CNN are no angels when it comes to narrative, Fox's aside about that today is awful. That's my opinion.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

People defended riots, looting, and burning?

Not sure I have seen such on here.

Yes, they have. We went over this. Quotes were found. What is wrong with you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TakiToki said:

Never been summoned, but I think it would be interesting to serve on a jury. I'd almost certainly be a boon to the defense, as I would vote not guilty for any drug or prostitution (at least with respect to the prostitute her- or himself) charges regardless of evidence

Jury nullification for the check and balance. Check marks the spot!

Just now, rockaction said:

Yes, they have. We went over this. Quotes were found. What is wrong with you?

I think very few if any truely defended that.   The overwhelming majority has stated they don’t support looting or violent protest.

So yeah. Nothing wring with me and please try keeping it civil

I remember when charges were brought forth a lot folks thought prosecutors overcharged and were screwing themselves. I’m glad they were vindicated in that regard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• NorvilleBarnes changed the title to Derek Chauvin trial. Death of George Floyd. Guilty on all counts.