What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Chauvin trial. Murder of George Floyd. Convictions now appealed. (2 Viewers)

I'l admit, I am watching as much as I can b/c IMO I think he is going to get off and I'm interested in how the defense picks at technicalities and other evidence that can go either way. 

To be clear, I don't think he SHOULD get off....but just knowing the history of police beating charges, I would hedge my bet this follows suit. 

I'm not a lawyer, but there is some real interest in the strategy used by each side that goes beyond an episode of Law and Order. 
I think this is part of the reason why I lost control earlier. I'm fully expecting him to get off as well, but really hope I'm proven wrong.

If he doesn't get at least manslaughter, I think the system IS racist and rigged.  Sorry.  The fact that they didn't move him to his side or attempt CPR when he started complaining or started becoming unresponsive is negligent.  Not sure how it could be interpreted as anything else.  

I don't need the MSM to tell me that.  I saw the video....
You’d hope the prosecution would have done a good job not letting racists on the jury.

Today's testimony has been powerful, imo. Still frames of Floyd using fingers and knuckles to attempt to create space to breathe along with the capture of Chauvin's knee off the ground are images that will be hard to shake. 

I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in hell he gets off 
Agree. I think the only question is how many charges bring back guilty verdicts. Other officers, including his Sergeant and Chief, rolled on Chauvin. The on site witnesses called it out in real time. The videos are indisputable and cannot be unseen. 

I don’t have a definitive answer on who did what or who’s wrong, that’s what the court system is going to find out. This is why we have the justice system we have in this country, to get to the bottom of things and get to the facts.

Unless you’re in the room you’re making a fool of yourself because you don’t have all the facts. 

i’m 100% positive you’re going to say that you saw the video and that’s all you need to see. If I’m gonna argue against that I’d say you should also read the toxicology report.

You’re being emotional and borderline unhinged on the matter. Maybe you need to take a step back for a few days. I had to do the same regarding a different topic the other day. 

I 100% get that Chauvin is a colossal dooshpickle. I understand how awful the pictures of him on top of Floyd. I admit that when I watched the initial video of just Chauvin on top of Floyd I too instinctively said he murdered Floyd. 

However, after seeing the entire video, the cops asking Floyd to if he wanted to get into the air conditioned car, politely working with him, all the way up until Floyd asked to lay down on the ground, and then reading how he had 3x the lethal dose of fentanyl, (something Im all too aware of as my brother died from a fentanyl overdose), I am not so sure. 

Its my opinion that Chauvin is going to get off and its going to be VERY bad. There will be riots like we've never seen before. 

I think I read a stat that said 75% of fent ODs occur with seconds to a minute of ingesting the drug.   Floyd was a big guy and an addict.  That dose didn't kill him or he wouldn't be walking around and talking prior to going out.

I think I read a stat that said 75% of fent ODs occur with seconds to a minute of ingesting the drug.   Floyd was a big guy and an addict.  That dose didn't kill him or he wouldn't be walking around and talking prior to going out.
Do we know how he consumed the drug? Is it possible he consumed a lot when he noticed the cops coming? These are questions, not accusations. 

I don’t think there’s a snowballs chance in hell he gets off 
He has the Floyd used drugs + knee was on the shoulder blade, not neck arguments going for him. I could see the combo of those two being enough for some of the jurors. Again, really hope you're right and I'm totally wrong here.

He has the Floyd used drugs + knee was on the shoulder blade, not neck arguments going for him. I could see the combo of those two being enough for some of the jurors. Again, really hope you're right and I'm totally wrong here.
There also seems to have been contradictory testimony around was the use of force / knee-neck appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There also seems to have been contradictory testimony around was the use of force / knee-neck appropriate.
Interesting, I thought I read everyone who took the stand regarding that said the use of force was not appropriate. Do you have a link to that?

If people within the police force were trained to do this and believe it was appropriate, I don't understand how anyone could disagree with the fact that our policing system needs to be totally revamped.

Interesting, I thought I read everyone who took the stand regarding that said the use of force was not appropriate. Do you have a link to that?

If people within the police force were trained to do this and believe it was appropriate, I don't understand how anyone could disagree with the fact that our policing system needs to be totally revamped.
Read it Here, was discussed yesterday.

And I’m glad you changed your comment about blue lives matter...because I do agree with your last sentence 

That is one guys take on the case and he didn't testify. Doesn't seem like there is any contradictory testimony at this point. 
I’m not going to reread it...but i recall it not just being a hot take but that he actually included the contradictory testimony in his write up.

This guy is clearly biased so gotta read it with that lense...but sure makes you wonder if he’s literally making up testimony...or if we’re not getting the full picture from MSM

Sorry but no, what is problematic is that the MSM has proven they are completely biased and can’t be trusted.  That sucks, but true.

Probably will have a perfect example with this case, which when I read MSM reporting seems to be pretty clear that a guilty verdict is a slam dunk (I don’t watch HLN only read).  

So when their biased opinion based reporting is contradicted by a jury the country will think the jury is racist and the legal system is rigged and cities will burn.  And you Tim will support that narrative...because you buy what MSM is selling hook, line and sinker.
Right. So this is the impasse that we’re at. You blame the MSM for giving you cause to disbelieve them. I don’t buy that; I hold that the MSM has remained largely truthful and that right wing radio has lied to you about this, and you have accepted the lie. 
Regardless of who is right and wrong between you and I, the point is that it seems to lead to a breaking point on every political issue that is discussed these days, and there’s no way to come to a meeting point- heck, we can’t even come to a respectful difference of opinion on most issues because we start with a different set of facts. 

Right. So this is the impasse that we’re at. You blame the MSM for giving you cause to disbelieve them. I don’t buy that; I hold that the MSM has remained largely truthful and that right wing radio has lied to you about this, and you have accepted the lie. 
Regardless of who is right and wrong between you and I, the point is that it seems to lead to a breaking point on every political issue that is discussed these days, and there’s no way to come to a meeting point- heck, we can’t even come to a respectful difference of opinion on most issues because we start with a different set of facts. 
You've been strangely silent on the 60 minutes hit piece on DeSantis.........Hmmmmm.........

Agree on the rift.  

I don’t listen to radio or watch tv, everything is reading.  I don’t subscribe or read unless linked to anything you would tag as right wing media...unless linked here or show up in Twitter feed, or sent by a friend, etc.

So nobody is telling me to believe a right wing narrative that MSM is biased and distrustful, I can discern that when I read their content.

The mainstream media spent over a year intentionally terrorizing people about going to the beach, variants, whether vaccines reduce covid transmission, etc.  I legitimately don't understand how anybody can not have had their confidence in the media completely destroyed.  

I think Cauvin should probably be convicted.  The fact that most of the media also happens to think so is entirely coincidental.

You've been strangely silent on the 60 minutes hit piece on DeSantis.........Hmmmmm.........
I didn’t see it. I read about it, all over mainstream media:CNN, the Washington Post, etc. if MSM were as biased as you and others claim there would be no stories whatsoever. The reasons that it made the news is because it’s a huge outlier whenever 60 Minutes gets anything wrong (and as of today they still claim they didn’t.) 

The mainstream media spent over a year intentionally terrorizing people about going to the beach, variants, whether vaccines reduce covid transmission, etc.  I legitimately don't understand how anybody can not have had their confidence in the media completely destroyed.  
They reported what public health officials said at the time, which was honest and largely correct. “Intentionally terrorizing” is quite the stretch. 

They reported what public health officials said at the time, which was honest and largely correct. “Intentionally terrorizing” is quite the stretch. 
Not a stretch at all.  Lots of us, me included, knew in March 2020 that sitting alone on a beach was safe.  To this day, the media still has a weird hang-up about beaches.  

Fear gets clicks, and clicks sell ads.  It's definitely intentional.  

Mass media is leftist, statist, fascinated by big and complex organizations that operate in secrecy, and sensationalist. That's really all you need to know about the MSM. Remember when Dan Rather got fired? Or Brian Williams? Or any of the others? 

Dan Rather freaking tried to or should have known he was using forged ####### documents about a sitting President's service and his Twitter account was blowing up even after this. He posed as a "truth-teller." Nothing could have been more ironic, nor the people that supported him given a better moniker than the dreaded "sheeple," which seems so right-wing cartoonish but for the fact that you couldn't make this #### up if your tried... 

Dr. Martin Tobin, a physician in pulmonary and critical care medicine, explained to jurors on Thursday the anatomy of what happened with George Floyd’s breathing as a result of the pressure from former police officer Derek Chauvin’s knee.

Here’s what else has happened during the proceedings:
- On Wednesday, a use-of-force expert from the LAPD said that Chauvin used “deadly force” when he held his knee on George Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes.
- Special Agent James Reyerson testified that Chauvin kept his weight on George Floyd's neck for minutes after Floyd was no longer talking or moving. Here’s what else you need to know about the trial
- The officer who trained Chauvin said that his neck restraint on George Floyd was not department protocol
- Jody Stiger, an LAPD use of force consultant, said “my opinion was that the force was excessive,” when asked about Derek Chauvin's use of force against George Floyd

Dr. Martin Tobin, a physician in pulmonary and critical care medicine, explained to jurors on Thursday the anatomy of what happened with George Floyd’s breathing as a result of the pressure from former police officer Derek Chauvin’s knee.

- On Wednesday, a use-of-force expert from the LAPD said that Chauvin used “deadly force” when he held his knee on George Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes.
- Special Agent James Reyerson testified that Chauvin kept his weight on George Floyd's neck for minutes after Floyd was no longer talking or moving. Here’s what else you need to know about the trial
- The officer who trained Chauvin said that his neck restraint on George Floyd was not department protocol
- Jody Stiger, an LAPD use of force consultant, said “my opinion was that the force was excessive,” when asked about Derek Chauvin's use of force against George Floyd
Evidence seems pretty overwhelming. I’m amazed people think he’s going to get off. 

Yep, I believe the 911 dispatcher testified as well and said Chauvin was on Floyd for such a long time that she thought the live video footage was frozen.

it's just conditioning over the years.  HOPEFULLY, we are a different society now, but holding doubt is natural.
Oh I’m guessing there are some folks here who are actively rooting for him to be acquitted. I don’t expect anyone to admit this though. 

I didn’t see it. I read about it, all over mainstream media:CNN, the Washington Post, etc. if MSM were as biased as you and others claim there would be no stories whatsoever. The reasons that it made the news is because it’s a huge outlier whenever 60 Minutes gets anything wrong (and as of today they still claim they didn’t.) 
This would be in contradiction to “all of the mainstream media” and unbiased.

MSM Coverage

It may be a outlier when they get caught literally with their pants down, but telling a slanted view of the story is not new.

Oh I’m guessing there are some folks here who are actively rooting for him to be acquitted. I don’t expect anyone to admit this though. 
There are some of us who actually want to hear the evidence, and make a determination based on that.  There has been a strong pattern in this trial.  The prosecution puts a witness on and everyone goes "Wow, that was damning to Chauvin!!!  He's guilty as sin!!!"  Then the defense gets to cross examine the same witness and it turns out their testimony was incomplete, out of context, or there was further nuance that put their previous testimony in a different light favorable to Chauvin.  The most recent witness has not been crossed yet.  How about letting that happen before you proclaim the trial over?

There are some of us who actually want to hear the evidence, and make a determination based on that.  There has been a strong pattern in this trial.  The prosecution puts a witness on and everyone goes "Wow, that was damning to Chauvin!!!  He's guilty as sin!!!"  Then the defense gets to cross examine the same witness and it turns out their testimony was incomplete, out of context, or there was further nuance that put their previous testimony in a different light favorable to Chauvin.  The most recent witness has not been crossed yet.  How about letting that happen before you proclaim the trial over?
Wait, what? You wrote a couple of hours ago that you’re not watching or listening to any of this, but instead completely relying on a heavily biased attorney who thinks Chauvin is innocent. And now you claim you just want to hear the evidence? 

This seems comparable to Tim’s version of how news should work.

He has an opinion based on limited information and internal bias, he watches MSM to confirm everything he thinks and then he “rests his case”...why believe anything else or listen to alternative arguments from bad people and racists.

Wait, what? You wrote a couple of hours ago that you’re not watching or listening to any of this, but instead completely relying on a heavily biased attorney who thinks Chauvin is innocent. And now you claim you just want to hear the evidence? 
Everything you just wrote is wrong.  Wow.

Wait, what?  Evidence is evidence, as I asked before I’d be interested in anybody actually highlighting evidence that John’s sources quotes are untrue.  He literally including the witness responses.  If he made that stuff up yah then throw it all out of course.

Couldn't agree more.  So who's at fault?  The click creator (ie business trying to make some money) or the clicker?   

IMO we are the problem.  Stop clicking and the problem gets solved......

#rantover
Well that’s what we’re all doing here and Tim is bemoaning...that we’re not clicking away on MSM clickbait.

This seems comparable to Tim’s version of how news should work.

He has an opinion based on limited information and internal bias, he watches MSM to confirm everything he thinks and then he “rests his case”...why believe anything else or listen to alternative arguments from bad people and racists.
This is kind of a reverse of my philosophy. It’s true I rely on the MSM for facts- what other credible source is there? Even if I accepted your theory that the MSM is unreliable that doesn’t make any alternative source MORE reliable, it would simply leave me with no facts and no knowledge whatsoever. So even though I’m readily willing to admit that the MSM has flaws, I still rely on them. 
But I do not rely on them to confirm my pre-held beliefs or to tell me what to think. You got that part completely wrong. I absorb the facts and then try to draw my own conclusions. Sometimes, often in fact, my personal conclusions are quite different than the MSM commentators and opinion makers, who are often too liberal for me. (Note- the MSM opinion shows typically have a very liberal bias and I’ve never claimed otherwise- it’s their news reporting that I defend.) 

Your last statement is largely correct. I don’t believe news reported by bad people and racists. I hope nobody does. 

Wait, what?  Evidence is evidence, as I asked before I’d be interested in anybody actually highlighting evidence that John’s sources quotes are untrue.  He literally including the witness responses.  If he made that stuff up yah then throw it all out of course.
That wasn’t my point. I have no idea about his sources. My point is that he just wrote that he wants to hear the evidence, and earlier he wrote that he’s not watching, but relying on some other guy’s opinion. That strikes me as contradictory, to say the least. 

You contradict yourself by saying 75% then later stating it as an absolute. 

That wasn’t my point. I have no idea about his sources. My point is that he just wrote that he wants to hear the evidence, and earlier he wrote that he’s not watching, but relying on some other guy’s opinion. That strikes me as contradictory, to say the least. 
Maybe you are taking “hearing” to literal.

I want the evidence to be heard as well, but I’ll gladly take someone else’s recaps as I have a job and an unhealthy message board forum participation to attend to.

Misrepresenting again.  I know you've called people out for misrepresenting what you've posted. I'd ask that you afford me the same courtesy.  This is two posts in a row where you've been totally wrong about my posts and/or misrepresented my position. 

Anybody else see a likeness of Dr Tobin and NCIS’s “Ducky” ?  Also seems to be a similar very intelligent likable guy.

Not a stretch at all.  Lots of us, me included, knew in March 2020 that sitting alone on a beach was safe.  To this day, the media still has a weird hang-up about beaches.  

Fear gets clicks, and clicks sell ads.  It's definitely inte.ntional. 
Probably a point for a different thread ... but on this particular point, Ivan is correct

I know, CNN ... but whoever was on CNN about 2 hours ago played long snippets of Tobin's testimony, then basically proclaimed that the prosecution could rest right now and go to Sizzler. That there was basically no credible defense beyond the Chewbacca defense.

I know, CNN ... but whoever was on CNN about 2 hours ago played long snippets of Tobin's testimony, then basically proclaimed that the prosecution could rest right now and go to Sizzler. That there was basically no credible defense beyond the Chewbacca defense.
To be fair, the Chewbacca defense is undefeated.

Users who are viewing this thread