What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Derek Chauvin trial. Murder of George Floyd. Convictions now appealed. (2 Viewers)

So did McConnell, but I think you would have a different opinion of how amazing he is.  

I agree with Rock on her and add that that I think they are both the worst of what we send to Washington.
You’re right that I can’t stand McConnell. But he is pretty amazing as well. Certainly he was the best (meaning most effective) senate leader of my lifetime, no question. 

Seems strange to this Independent to call out the extremist crazy actions of some Democrats without acknowledging the extremists crazies of the GOP like M Taylor Greenes, Matt Gaetzes and Louie Gohmerts etc. 
We need to stop this. 
When people say bad things we need to criticize them without comparing them to the other side. AOC didn’t say anything wrong but her view is radical amd extremist and Democrats should distance themselves from it. Maxine Waters said something awful and should be condemned by everyone. Full stop, no need to bring up anyone else. 

Seems strange to this Independent to call out the extremist crazy actions of some Democrats without acknowledging the extremists crazies of the GOP like M Taylor Greenes, Matt Gaetzes and Louie Gohmerts etc. 
We can actually discuss something bad Maxine Waters or AOC does WITHOUT having to stop and dissect things the Republicans say.  

We can dissect things Republicans say without having to stop and evaluate something bad Dems say.

But people LOVE the game of "you didn't say that when Trump was in office."  

You’re right that I can’t stand McConnell. But he is pretty amazing as well. Certainly he was the best (meaning most effective) senate leader of my lifetime, no question. 
As someone who never followed politics until our ex-POTUS forced my hand, it saddens me that McConnell is considered good, let alone the best at his job.

We need to stop this. 
When people say bad things we need to criticize them without comparing them to the other side. AOC didn’t say anything wrong but her view is radical amd extremist and Democrats should distance themselves from it. Maxine Waters said something awful and should be condemned by everyone. Full stop, no need to bring up anyone else. 
I think it depends in what context the criticism is being raised. Is it in reference to the topic at hand or is it to say “ this is why I hate Democrats and support the GOP”? Even though the discussion was posted on this thread it had me wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to speak for Tim, but his point is McConnell has done exactly what his party and his constituents want him to do and he's been good at it.

The shame that his party wants him to behave the way he does.
Fair enough. I just really dislike his win-at-all-costs, bend the rules when convenient approach to get what he (they) wants.

Anyway, no need to derail this thread.

That was my point all along. Yet several posters,  beginning with @Insein, predicted there would be riots no matter what and wrote that I was being naive. I’m very glad that I was right and they were wrong. 
In this day and age it wouldn’t surprise me but if it didn’t happen I’m glad to see it. 

If any of this gets overturned on appeal, I think it will be worse than the response for an acquittal. To be clear, I'm not hoping for riots. But with an acquittal, people could at least say, "Well there were black jurors in the deliberations" but with the possibility of an appeal resulting in any changes - I'm very concerned.

If any of this gets overturned on appeal, I think it will be worse than the response for an acquittal. To be clear, I'm not hoping for riots. But with an acquittal, people could at least say, "Well there were black jurors in the deliberations" but with the possibility of an appeal resulting in any changes - I'm very concerned.
Perhaps true, although the flip side is that an appeal might take a year or longer, at which time it is likely the case will no longer be in the spotlight.  There won't be large crowds of protesters gathering in anticipation of an appellate decision.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I wouldn't worry too much about anything getting overturned on appeal. Appeal succees rates in criminal cases are very low.

Honestly if there is no rioting/looting/arson I'll be damn happy.

I was just asking those who have supported the riots (there were several) where they stood now. I don't think that's an unreasonable question given the past year. 

But yes, hopefully that tone has changed and the wave of destructive criminal behavior is over on both sides.
Not seeing any reports of looting, arson, etc. Thankfully any concerns of that seem to have been unfounded.

Initial release on the death of George Floyd by the Minneapolis Police. Imagine if we didn't have videos?

Man Dies After Medical Incident During Police Interaction

May 25, 2020 (MINNEAPOLIS) On Monday evening, shortly after 8:00 pm, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department responded to the 3700 block of Chicago Avenue South on a report of a forgery in progress.  Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence.

Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car.  He was ordered to step from his car.  After he got out, he physically resisted officers.  Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress.  Officers called for an ambulance.  He was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center by ambulance where he died a short time later.

At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has been called in to investigate this incident at the request of the Minneapolis Police Department.

No officers were injured in the incident.

Body worn cameras were on and activated during this incident.

Now we just need to get people to understand, using the videos of Adam Toledo and Ma'khia Bryant, that there are truly deadly situations out there.  Police sometimes, rightfully, have to use deadly force.

Unfortunately we seem to have a portion of population that just doesn't get this.
Oh, they understand. They're Marxists, anarchists, and inner city people who plain old don't want to be publicly policed. At all. They've made it quite clear. That's the rub.

Someone needs to say something. Something like "Yes, you will be policed because you can't just willy-nilly violate property and limb and get away with it." Specific and general deterrence is a thing. Okay. Grievance fest over. Back to society where you're not committing heinous acts against property or person.

The “but but but his health was compromised while Chauvin was brutalizing him” defense seemed destined to fail...

Dr Tobin testimony this morning and imho he came off as a very credible, unbiased witness. He is not a paid witness. The key testimony was on his opinion specifically about cause of death: low oxygen (aka hypoxia and asphyxia). The cause of low oxygen: shallow breathing. The cause of shallow breathing: George Floyds position, restraint, and Derek Chauvin's weight. He also said the specific position of Chauvin's knee didn't really matter as far as restricting breathing goes.

He kept involving the jury directly - when he discussed breathing and the movement of the rib cage he asked the jury to take a breath and feel their ribs move. Later, when he discussed the knee on the neck, he walked the jury through using their thumb and finger to feel their necks when they breath. 
I remember at the time thinking this particular testimony had a pretty big impact.

Read an interview from an alternate juror who talked about him guiding the jurors through it physically. LINK

Christensen: He broke it down to where we could understand it. He had us demonstrate. We were all in the jury touching our necks and we could feel what he was trying to make us feel. What really did it was when he said, "right here at this point was when he (George Floyd) had that seizure and this is where he died."

Raguse: Was that a turning point for you in the trial?

Christensen: It was. 

Good god:  https://www.yahoo.com/gma/chauvins-conviction-floyd-murder-doj-143200640.html

Late last year, as a team of Minnesota state prosecutors was preparing for the trial that would ultimately convict former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin of murdering George Floyd, they received a series of videos depicting Chauvin's handling of another case three years earlier that by their own description shocked them.

The videos, from Sept. 4, 2017, allegedly showed Chauvin striking a Black teenager in the head so hard that the boy needed stitches, then allegedly holding the boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, and allegedly ignoring complaints from the boy that he couldn't breathe.

"Those videos show a far more violent and forceful treatment of this child than Chauvin describes in his report" of the incident, one of the state prosecutors, Matthew Frank, wrote in a court filing at the time.

Now, the U.S. Justice Department may do something that state prosecutors never did: charge Chauvin for the 2017 incident.

According to Frank's account of the incident, Chauvin and another Minneapolis police officer were dispatched to a home where a woman claimed she had been attacked by her 14-year-old son and young daughter.

After officers entered the home and spoke to the woman, they ordered the son to lie on the ground, but he refused. Within seconds, Chauvin hit the teenager with his flashlight, grabbed the teenager's throat, hit him again with the flashlight, and then "applied a neck restraint, causing the child to lose consciousness and go to the ground," according to Frank's account of the videos, detailed in a filing seeking permission to raise the incident during trial.

"Chauvin and [the other officer] placed [the teenager] in the prone position and handcuffed him behind his back while the teenager's mother pleaded with them not to kill her son and told her son to stop resisting," Frank wrote, noting that at one point the teenager's ear began bleeding. "About a minute after going to the ground, the child began repeatedly telling the officers that he could not breathe, and his mother told Chauvin to take his knee off her son."

About eight minutes in, Chauvin moved his knee to the teenager's upper back and left it there for nine more minutes, according to Frank.

Eventually, Chauvin told the teenager he was under arrest for domestic assault and obstruction with force. The two officers then helped the teenager to an ambulance, which took him to a hospital to receive stitches, Frank wrote.
Hope he has a nice season, guy.....

Mike Sington@MikeSington

Maryland AG to review all death reports produced by former medical examiner David Fowler who testified Chauvin did not kill George Floyd. “His testimony and conclusions were so outside the bounds of accepted forensic practice that all his previous work should come into question.”

I hope Fowler's paycheck from Eric Nelson was worth it. Dude may have deep-sixed his forensics career. He can probably find an opportunity in the right-wing media somewhere.

The DOJ was planning to arrest Chauvin at the courthouse on federal charges if he'd been acquitted on the state charges.

Justice Department officials were planning to arrest former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin at the courthouse earlier this month after spending months collecting evidence to indict Chauvin on federal police brutality charges if he had not been found guilty of murdering George Floyd, or if the case ended in mistrial, the Star Tribune reported early Thursday. 

Under the contingency arrest plan, the Minnesota U.S. Attorney’s Office would have charged Chauvin by criminal complaint, sources told the Star Tribune.

The DOJ was planning to arrest Chauvin at the courthouse on federal charges if he'd been acquitted on the state charges.

Justice Department officials were planning to arrest former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin at the courthouse earlier this month after spending months collecting evidence to indict Chauvin on federal police brutality charges if he had not been found guilty of murdering George Floyd, or if the case ended in mistrial, the Star Tribune reported early Thursday. 

Under the contingency arrest plan, the Minnesota U.S. Attorney’s Office would have charged Chauvin by criminal complaint, sources told the Star Tribune.
If they feel like they have a case against him, I'm not sure why the results of his state trial have any bearing.  Bring him up on charges.  

Well... if Biden & Waters comments weren't enough to get a mistrial granted.... 

This moron's need to try to get his 15 mins, and the resulting spotlight on his background definitely finished it off... that verdict/sentence are toast. 

Jesus :lol:  
1. The Biden/Waters comments almost certainly don't warrant a mistrial or even a colorable claim on appeal. 

2. The juror stuff - assuming arguendo that the article is accurate (I say this not to attach the DailyWire but out of caution as I routinely see articles on my own stuff with errant information despite the reporters' best good faith effort) - could be an issue. However (I'm not currently licensed in MN and therefore not entirely certain of this burden), usually if it's an issue with a juror a Defendant would still need to show the actual prejudice and that there would be a substantial likelihood (or similar burden of proof) of a different outcome. The latter is often difficult to prove/show.  Again, though, maybe MN is different. 

What's the range? 

He did appeal right?
The defense wants probation with time served.  The prosecution was asking for 30 years.

My guess is 20-25 years (and likely out in 10-12) but whatever it is they better not put in him in general population or it might as well be the death sentence.

From a CNN article:

Chauvin's post-verdict motion for a new trial was denied by a judge.

Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter Cahill ruled Thursday night that Chauvin "failed to demonstrate ... the Court abused its discretion or committed error such that Defendant was deprived of his constitutional right to a fair trial."

From a CNN article:

Chauvin's post-verdict motion for a new trial was denied by a judge.

Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter Cahill ruled Thursday night that Chauvin "failed to demonstrate ... the Court abused its discretion or committed error such that Defendant was deprived of his constitutional right to a fair trial."
I thought he at least deserved a new trial.

I thought the bias juror who lied was enough.
Are you referring to this: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/explainer-chauvins-attorney-seeks-probe-jury-misconduct-78200158

...<snip for brevity>...

In Chauvin's case, Nelson alleges an alternate juror, who did not deliberate, made public comments after the trial indicating she felt pressured to render a guilty verdict.

He also alleged that a juror who did deliberate, Brandon Mitchell, didn't follow jury instructions and was not candid during jury selection because he didn't mention his participation in an Aug. 28 march in Washington, D.C., to honor Martin Luther King Jr. Nelson also alleged Mitchell made comments indicating he based his verdict on outside influence.

Hunter said he expects the state will say Mitchell wasn't untruthful and that the march wasn't specifically about police brutality. Hunter noted Mitchell said during jury selection that he supported the Black Lives Matter concept.

“He wasn’t really trying to be evasive or hide the ball about where his viewpoints were during jury selection,” Hunter said.
I'm not seeing anything there that rises to the level of mistrial.

270 months.  Seems good to me.

The defense wants probation with time served.  The prosecution was asking for 30 years.

My guess is 20-25 years (and likely out in 10-12) but whatever it is they better not put in him in general population or it might as well be the death sentence.
This guy nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread