What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Rodgers, HOU Texans (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
5'10" 210

Had 77/1020/7 in 2020 not even sure that counts as a breakout, and as a senior. I couldn't find his age. 21 yo 9/23/1999

Some highlights:

https://youtu.be/fZ1Jchq3udI

At 2:30 he has a chance to just go out of bounds but stays in and delivers a hit and a chance to cut inside. I love that and I think NFL scouts/GMs do too. He does it on the next play in the reel as well.

Did 24 reps on the bench press and said he did it for Kobe. Ok I just mostly wanted control over the name of the thread because dang that name resonates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clemson WR Amari Rodgers took reps at running back during the program's pro day on Wednesday.

Rogers (5'10/210) looking to show NFL teams his versatility on Thursday. He also ran a very respectable 40-yard dash of 4.45 seconds. Representatives from 31 pro squads were reportedly on hand to watch Rodgers and other Clemson draft hopefuls go through testing and drills. With clean medical checks -- Rodgers tore his ACL in spring of 2019 -- a later Day 2 selection would probably be the ceiling for Rogers' draft range. Otherwise, look for him to fly off the board at some point on the final day of the draft.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Mar 11, 2021, 1:28 PM ET

He's a lot stockier than I realized. He looks like Aaron Jones running those RB drills. 

He's been my 27-28th round best ball special so far this year. I feel like his experience, build, tutelage of his dad all add up to him being very NFL ready, think he can step into starting slot job from the jump.

The ceiling is the big puzzle to me but that's the issue I'm having with majority of a draft class filled with so many smaller/slot type WR's.

barackdhouse said:
Reached for him in my startup. Wanna see what happens with him. The name is too good to pass up. Lol
lol great name but there are a lot of great names in dynasty this year. I can't get past senior who was always kind of a 3rd or 4th banana until that final year and it probably only happened because Ross didn't play. I realize the Clemson offense was stacked but it's still hard for me to look past. 

He's been my 27-28th round best ball special so far this year. I feel like his experience, build, tutelage of his dad all add up to him being very NFL ready, think he can step into starting slot job from the jump.

The ceiling is the big puzzle to me but that's the issue I'm having with majority of a draft class filled with so many smaller/slot type WR's.
Landing spot and draft capital will be big for separating out the WRs after Bateman. Thin margins between them. 

I don't know about this one. Literally looks like a running back playing wide receiver. In all my years of doing this, I have never seen a player so obviously playing the wrong position.

He's fast enough to be playing wideout. But "should" he be playing wideout? He's got enough speed to create separation, I'm just having a hard time getting excited about this guy. With that kind of speed, he could be one of the best RB prospects in the nation.

Him playing WR is a huge red flag. That's not a WR, that's a RB.

Just saw a clip of his pro day on Move The Sticks...kid is built like a fire hydrant, interesting build for a WR...definitely someone I am eying later on in the rookie draft.

Gutekunst is going to point to the paperwork later and say "See? I told you we weren't trading A Rodgers." As he looks for employment elsewhere.

In all seriousness I think this is a great pick for them and him (the rookie WR). If Rodgers is convinced to play. I'm skeptical that will happen. ####, sorry. I meant to say if the QB Rodgers is convinced to play. I imagine the rookie WR doesn't need convincing. 

I'm going to be trolling the #### out of the Packers throughout the career of this WR (who I like) with this thread title. JK I'll be cool but I feel like I won the Bears fan lottery this weekend. I wish it hadn't come to this but I seriously cannot believe this Packers GM is running this HOFer out of town like this. If he plays for them it's going to be weird, no? I really don't know what to expect but if he plays then I love the outlook for a guy like AROD. No, the other one. Nope, keep going. 

Packers selected Clemson WR Amari Rodgers with the No. 85 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Rodgers (5'9/212) was peppered underneath for 104/1,124/8 and 10.8 yards per catch between Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross in his first three years before hauling in 6-of-12 targets (for five touchdowns) downfield in 2020. Even so, he rarely won on contested catches (5-of-17 for his career) and had five drops in his last season alone. With middling straight-line speed (4.52 40) and subpar agility (7-second 3-cone), Rodgers will have to use his size to overpower nickel corners as a bigger slot receiver in the NFL. His experience as Clemson's featured punt returner (70/529/1) since 2018 will bode well on gamedays. The Packers don't have much behind target-hog Davante Adams, giving Rodgers a path to rookie-year snaps. His Year 1 value will be tied to Green Bay's quarterback situation.

Apr 30, 2021, 10:42 PM ET

If AROD the Thrower plays then I don't care how good AROD the Catcher is at contested catches because he is just going to be open all the time with Adams, Jones, Tonyan and MVS to contend with.

Blurb above says "Rodgers will have to use his size to overpower nickel corners as a bigger slot receiver". It should read Rodgers *gets* to use his size *in stride* to *destroy* nickel corners. It only matters if the other AROD is playing though. Or *maybe* if Jordan Love is decent.

But even with the whole band together I'm probably only rostering Adams, Jones, and Tonyan. Well, and A Rodgers of course. Ha.

Just another attack on Aaron Rodgers by Gutenkunst.

Jordan Love to Amari Rodgers...

Jordan to Rodgers...

Jordan Rodgers :oldunsure:

On a serious note, I love this pick.  I think he's exactly what this Packer offense needs.  I can really see Amari playing a Cobb type role.  Wish they had a guy like this two years ago.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if we were to assume the QB is back, is Amari a better redraft option than Lazard in 2021?   Had him nowhere near my top 3 rounds in the pre-draft rankings and this was one of many draft bummers for someone holding on to a late 2nd and a couple of 3rds in the rookie draft.   Definitely willing to take a closer look given that his was their 3rd round selection.  My initial inclination is that the end of the 2nd in a 1QB is still too rich, even as depressed as this spot has become.   However, probably a worthy flyer in the early-mid 3rd.    

sushinsky4tsar said:
Even if we were to assume the QB is back, is Amari a better redraft option than Lazard in 2021?   Had him nowhere near my top 3 rounds in the pre-draft rankings and this was one of many draft bummers for someone holding on to a late 2nd and a couple of 3rds in the rookie draft.   Definitely willing to take a closer look given that his was their 3rd round selection.  My initial inclination is that the end of the 2nd in a 1QB is still too rich, even as depressed as this spot has become.   However, probably a worthy flyer in the early-mid 3rd.    
He went #20 overall in my SF league

I like this kid a lot.

Thinking he's going to need a top-tier QB to maximize his skills.

Like the other A Rodgers.

🙄

Got him at 3.7 in a 12 team super flex league. I feel like he fell a bit because of the AR12 issues rn, I was happy with him at that spot

Not saying it's wrong, but people are drafting him earlier than I thought they would.  I took him at 2.08 in one league.
I’ve got him at 20 in non-SF, so right at 2.08 in a 12 teamer.  That’s assuming ARod is gone.  He’s just above Collins and Dyami Brown.  That’s surely going to fluctuate.  But my early “gut” reaction is that’s about the spot.

To be a top 20 pick, you have to assume this is a slot WR that puts Lazard on the bench in 2 WR sets, correct?   I get taking the optimistic approach on A-Rodgers QB and would have been shocked if you told me pre-draft that the top WR going to GB wouldn't be in my top 20.

This is the kind of draft where you're looking for reasons why a prospect can hit in the late 2nd, not reasons why it will fail.

This is the kind of draft where you're looking for reasons why a prospect can hit in the late 2nd, not reasons why it will fail.
I believe one should look at reasons why someone will fail.  Too often we put our rose colored glasses on and dismiss everything else.  It's easier to fall in love with a player than it is to find fault in the one you love.  Having said that, Rodgers provides late 2nd value.  I took him myself late in the 2nd.

I believe one should look at reasons why someone will fail.  Too often we put our rose colored glasses on and dismiss everything else.  It's easier to fall in love with a player than it is to find fault in the one you love.  Having said that, Rodgers provides late 2nd value.  I took him myself late in the 2nd.
I will put it this way, I'm definitely not in love with this player as a late 2nd round selection based on pre-draft.   However, I completely get taking him there based on the situation.  I'm willing to accept the possibility that the Packers taking him in the 3rd in a year where they need to hit on a WR2 matters more than my perceived lack of any pre-draft buzz of this guy as a 2nd round talent.   The perfect marriage of perceived talent and landing spot isn't going to be an easy find in the late 2nd / 3rd round this year.  

2.12 in 2020: I'm not liking this Aaron Rodgers situation.   

2.12 in 2021, eeehhhhh, there's a fair chance this all blows over on a contract extension.

Elgton Jenkins is 'a rare guy in this league'

Excerpt:

On Amari Rodgers and what he brings to the offense:

I think without a doubt he's going to do some cool things for us this upcoming year. I think any time you have a young player, there's always this kind of process of them trying to learn this new system, and there's ups and downs with it. It's easier in the beginning and then once more of the system gets put on, they start thinking almost too much. I think Amari's doing a very good job. He's not intimidated by what we're handing to him. He's a student of the game and you can see that. He's got a natural feel to the game in these limited reps. I think that's only going to develop with time.

Matt LaFleur's first impression of Packers rookies Eric Stokes, Amari Rodgers

Excerpt:

Like Stokes, Rodgers looked impressive physically, even at 5-9.

“He’s a well-built kid. He looks like a grown man. He has that big, running back, thick frame,” LaFleur said. “Then you watch him run routes and he doesn’t move like most traditional running backs. We’re really excited about just the versatility that he could potentially bring to our offense and also his contribution on special teams.”

Rodgers, at 212 pounds, led the ACC in catches last season while operating mostly from the slot. He plays like Randall Cobb but looks like Ty Mongomery.

While LaFleur is excited about Rodgers’ ability to impact the game in multiple ways, he said the rookie will focus on the receiver position “first and foremost” before the team branches out and puts more on his plate.

LaFleur said he’s certain receivers coach Jason Vrable and assistant Ruvell Martin will get Rodgers “caught up to the veterans in short order.”

“We’ll load up as much as he can handle,” LaFleur said.

Returning punts and kicks will be part of maximizing his versatility.

“He’s going to have that opportunity. We’ll work him at both punt return and kick return. We’ll see what he can handle mentally,” LaFleur said. “He seems to be a very sharp guy that’s very hungry. That’s always an important part of the process.”

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman picked rookie WR Amari Rodgers as the Packers' breakout player this season. 

Rodgers, selected by the Packers in the third round of the 2021 draft, was peppered with underneath targets at Clemson, recording 104 catches for 1,124 yards and eight touchdowns in his first three collegiate seasons. A subpar athlete, Rodgers, 21, will have to use his size to overpower opposing cornerbacks in the NFL. Schneidman said Green Bay could use Rodgers primarily as its slot receiver and "as a gadget piece out of the backfield on jet sweeps, reverses, and other motion action." Rodgers could emerge as a sneaky late-round pick in redraft leagues with a solid showing at training camp this month. His fantasy value -- like every Packer -- is tied to Aaron Rodgers' holdout status. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 6, 2021, 8:35 AM ET

Packers WR Amari Rodgers signed his four-year rookie contract. 

He's the last Green Bay rookie to sign his rookie deal. The 85th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, Rodgers, 21, could find playing time right away in Green Bay's offense. He was peppered with underneath targets at Clemson, recording 104 catches for 1,124 yards and eight touchdowns in his first three collegiate seasons. Rodgers should occupy the slot for the Packers this year, and could be used on gadget plays. Of course, his fantasy usefulness will hinge on Aaron Rodgers' status. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Jul 23, 2021, 11:44 AM ET

trey wingo @wingoz 

Hearing Rodgers coming back to GB hinging on trading for former teammate Randall Cobb . If Cobb is in Green Bay it looks like Rodgers will be too
https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1419739236736065538?s=21

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

This is not a joke. It doesn't mean the deal is 100% going to happen. There are salary cap issues that could prevent it, but Randall Cobb returning to the #Packers at Rodgers' behest could happen. I wonder how Amari Rodgers feels about it.
https://twitter.com/tomsilverstein/status/1419844512432668682?s=21

Peter Bukowski @Peter_Bukowski

Talked to Clemson’s WR coach who said they felt comfortable playing Amari Rodgers outside because he’s such a good route runner and even though he’s short, he’s stout. Tough to press him.
https://twitter.com/peter_bukowski/status/1419845170284175366?s=21

Cobb coming back to GB would hurt Amari’s value for this season but having a veteran slot presence like that to learn from would only enhance his long term value IMO. I will be buying his slow start in dynasty if this happens.

Super cheap second year player with talent and a HOF QB. It will be interesting to see if he can climb up this fairly unimpressive depth chart this off-season.

Users who are viewing this thread