What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dave Grohl's 3 Records for Homeschool Music Class - What are Yours? The FBG Edition.... (1 Viewer)

General Malaise

Footballguy
Dave Grohl was asked to list his top 3 records for homeschool and his list was interesting if even a bit surprising.  Take a look:

"Well, you are going to want to get The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's [Lonely Heart's Club Band]," Grohl told BBC Breakfast from his home in Los Angeles. "One reason is that album still connects the way it did the day it came out."

"Now if you want to be a drummer, you're going to want to get the AC/DC album Back In Black," he added. "That is rock 'n' roll drumming 101."

The musician — who recently admitted that he still dreams he's in Nirvana more than a quarter of a century since their split — then moved on to by far the most surprising element of his top-three list: the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

"I like myself a little party now and then," joked Grohl about the disco epic. "I do like to dance."

Alright, Footballguys.....what are your top 3?  I'll reveal mine at a later date.  I already know mine.  I want to know yours.

Your Pal,
GM

The musician — who recently admitted that he still dreams he's in Nirvana more than a quarter of a century since their split — then moved on to by far the most surprising element of his top-three list: the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

"I like myself a little party now and then," joked Grohl about the disco epic. "I do like to dance."
Also Alice Cooper’s self-admitted favorite album. They know stuff.

Good topic - have to give this some thought.

I’m totally shuked here — can you please clarify:

- what age kids are being homeschooled?

- are the music selections to be those that I’m most entertained by, what the kid(s) will be entertained by, or for “home school music class”?

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

-Several RH albums could go here, but Jonny Greenwood's orchestral arrangements, the occasional inclusion of choir as a backdrop, the dip into kraut and some electronic music gives this one the edge. Apparently highly influenced by Penderecki, Messiaen, and other composers, Greenwood really lays out some amazing soundscapes.

D'Angelo & the Vanguard - Black Messiah

-One of the morediverse albums released in the past 20 or so years. Maybe longer. Interesting and unique approaches to songs. D'Angelo draws from Sly, Prince, Gaye, Stevie, Vandross, and various others, and compiles a jazzy, funky, soulful, album full of depth that doesn't even approach sounding derivative. Pino Palladino does his usual on bass, Questlove on drums, strings flow in and out of songs. D's harmonies, whether with his accompanying singers or layers over his own vocals, keep the album flowing. And regarding the recording itself, from the liner notes: No digital ‘plug-ins’ of any kind were used in this recording. All of the recording, processing, effects and mixing was done in the analog domain using tape and mostly vintage equipment.

Those 2 were easy choices. Third is more difficult but I'll go with

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

-I haven't heard an album even approach its sound (including MBV's other releases). Dense soundscapes dripping with reverb. The reverb is so thick and the vocals are so buried. The drums can be kind of weird. Some of the acoustic strumming sound like its being played beneath a layer of goop or something. But it all works. Really really well. It's so unique and so well produced so yeah, this can be in the curriculum.

Obviously I like all these albums, but I think each has a unique quality/qualities that a music class could learn a lot from. Other than just a kick ### album.
Loveless is awesome! 

Interesting RH choice.  Mine is a different one but yes, terrific choice. 

I have to seek out #2. :thumbup:

Loveless is awesome! 

Interesting RH choice.  Mine is a different one but yes, terrific choice. 

I have to seek out #2. :thumbup:
Moon shaped pool isn't my favorite rh album. But I think the orchestral compositions would make for a cool class. 

I just assumed this was like to teach kids music theory or something like that. If we are doing fav albums then I'd go a different route. 

In Rainbows is the best imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Carole King- Tapestry

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska 

Last edited by a moderator:
Boston -Boston 

Melvins - S/T

Bad Brains - Banned in DC

Pixies - Doolittle

Bam. Just recreated Nirvana. 

Users who are viewing this thread