What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gov. Whitmer thread. (1 Viewer)

NorvilleBarnes

Footballguy
Sounds like possibly a similar situation to Gov Cuomo in NY. Macomb County prosecutor Peter Lucido said “If we find there’s been willful neglect of office, if we find there’s been reckless endangerment of a person’s life by bringing them in, then we would move forward with charges against the Governor. Of course, we would. Nobody’s above the law in this state,” Lucido told ABC 7 WXYZ on Monday. LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
They've been attacking Whitmer since the very day she took office.  This may or may not be something.  I doubt it is.  That doesn't mean they won't spread propaganda and innuendo though.  I see in this article they are trying to conflate Cuomo and Whitmer.  

They've been attacking Whitmer since the very day she took office.  This may or may not be something.  I doubt it is.  That doesn't mean they won't spread propaganda and innuendo though.  I see in this article they are trying to conflate Cuomo and Whitmer.  
I don`t have enough time to go into Whitmer right now. 

Lets say other than political persuasion she is very close to the lefts version of Trump.   Grew up in a very wealthy privledged family, arrogant, thin skinned, no transparency.  This is before the Cuomo comparison.

False.   Whitmer has only come under scutiny because of her handling of COVID, the nursing homes situation and her back door payouts to silence former employees.  Before that she was fine.

The Detroit Free Press is about as liberal as they come and she has turned their reporters against her.

Guinness World Records carefully monitoring  LINK
Reporter Charlie LeDuff is all over Whitmers mishandling the nursing home COVID cases.

By Charlie LeDuff

Why did the Whitmer administration close the TCF Center field hospital in Detroit last year? A multimillion-dollar pop-up facility that was supposed to handle Covid-positive people with no safe place to go? Why were infected and recuperating old people instead pushed into nursing homes where they could spread the sickness?  That is the $50-million question.

Reports are dripping with horror stories of positive patients being mingled with healthy residents who later died; cleaning and dietary staff who casually crossed back and forth between isolation wards into the general population; a lack of personal protection equipment (PPE); not to mention atrocious details of abuse, neglect, malnutrition, and human beings left to lie in crusty, soiled diapers.

The temporary field hospital closed in May after attending to a measly 43 people. The field hospital was set up in late March at a cost of $10 million. 

The retrofit at the convention center included: 1,000 state-of-the-art hospital beds; a negative pressure ventilation system to filter the infected air; an oxygen tank on the roof bigger than a tractor trailer that sent oxygenated air to each individual bed. It was staffed by health professionals from around the country.

Add to that a $36-million state bailout to the TCF Center this past September, plus rent paid by the state to TCF for its use as a hospital, and you're looking at $50 million.  What did we get for it?

State administrators promised back in May when they announced the shutdown that if a second surge arrived in early winter, the field hospital could reopen. When that second wave did arrive in November, it didn't reopen. By then, the TCF hospital was being used as a soup kitchen and bathhouse for the homeless.

Seriously. A soup kitchen and bathhouse with really superior ventilation. So why was the convention center not fully used for recovering nursing home residents in the first place?

According to Bob Wheaton, a spokesman for the state's Department of Health and Human Services, the Whitmer administration decided  “(TFC was) not designed to provide, and did not provide, the standard of care one could expect at a nursing home or a hospital," he told Bridge Magazine back in July.

Really?

A field hospital built and staffed by United States military personnel with a convention floor piled high with medical supplies couldn't provide the standard of care one could expect in Michigan's fetid nursing homes?

Really?

So I did some digging.

Whitmer created nursing home “hubs” to be places of last resort when there was no place for the recovering to go. These homes were supposed to be extra-special places. Places that had separate nursing and janitorial staff, as well as separate and isolated wings following special protocols.

But most of these nursing homes were never any good to begin with. Eleven of the chosen 21 received below or far below average ratings in their federal Medicaid grades.

And -- as anyone with an average IQ might have guessed -- these dumps did no better during the pandemic.

At least nine were cited for improper infection controls, according to federal government inspection reports, that were conducted in the summertime.... after the first wave had hit, and after the TCF Center field hospital was mothballed.

Consider: At an Oakland County nursing home in June, an investigator found three residents on the Covid ward who were not Covid-positive. Workers did not change PPE when traveling between sections of the building, or wash their hands.

At a Detroit nursing home in July, Covid-positive residents where placed throughout the facility, everywhere, it seems, except the Covid unit where they belonged, according to the investigator's notes.

An infected person was seen taking food from a meal cart. Dietary staff continued passing out meals from the cart to residents who did not live in the Covid unit.

There are outrageous details of staff abuse and broken bones, lack of food and water for the elderly, human beings left for hours without help with open and infected sores, people going without showers and baths for weeks.

The reports are ledgers of misery and mismanagement, and make it impossible to take seriously the governor when she claims the care is better inside these cattle pens than a state of the art U.S. field hospital staffed by competent people.

Even the homeless outreach program now occupying the basement of the TCF Center sounds like heaven in comparison to the 'hubs'. At least there you get soup, a shower and your temperature taken.

If COVID is so trivial that we need to have high school sports, why the concern I guess.  Republicans want it both ways.  They don't want even the most simple of restriction but she's supposed to somehow save every single person.  You should see it where I live in the UP.   No masks anywhere unless the business owner mandates it.  Then you still have the freedom warriors with their camo jackets acting like it's some big deal.   Nobody distancing at all.  People crying like you've never seen so little Jaxson and Kayleigh can play travel ball with no masks.   People throwing huge parties.  Tons of Qanon faithfuls.   So pathetic how weak willed people actually are when it actually comes time to sacrifice for the greater good. 

Republicans in Michigan are literally withholding COVID funds from schools so that they can get their agenda passed.   I don't blame Whitmer one bit for not giving them an inch.  They are enemy actors.  Meanwhile, schools are the biggest spreaders.  My kids say most teacher even up here are anti-mask sociopaths.  Such hypocrites.  I can't take a word they say seriously.  Shirkey is just awful.    So when they claim all this stuff, I have a hard time believing it.  They just lie so much. 

My Rep Beau LaFave posted on his twitter that people wearing masks in cars are doing it so they won't lick the windows.  Same guy who brought an AR15 to the State House (Which was stolen from his apartment the next week lol).    Ed McBroom is a bit better but not much.   I never thought I'd long for the level headedness of Tom Casperson (RIP).  Our local county commissioner stated on his facebook that if somebody comes to claim a foreclosed property, we should fight them with guns.  He literally threated his own sheriff.  ####### nuts around here.  

If COVID is so trivial that we need to have high school sports, why the concern I guess.  Republicans want it both ways.  They don't want even the most simple of restriction but she's supposed to somehow save every single person.  You should see it where I live in the UP.   No masks anywhere unless the business owner mandates it.  Then you still have the freedom warriors with their camo jackets acting like it's some big deal.   Nobody distancing at all.  People crying like you've never seen so little Jaxson and Kayleigh can play travel ball with no masks.   People throwing huge parties.  Tons of Qanon faithfuls.   So pathetic how weak willed people actually are when it actually comes time to sacrifice for the greater good. 

Republicans in Michigan are literally withholding COVID funds from schools so that they can get their agenda passed.   Meanwhile, schools are the biggest spreaders.  My kids say most teacher even up here are anti-mask sociopaths.  Such hypocrites.  I can't take a word they say seriously.  Shirkey is just awful.    So when they claim all this stuff, I have a hard time believing it.  Maybe its true.  Maybe not.  
I figured the UP wouldn’t be very compliant.  Get away from Lake Mich here (I’m in Berrien), and it’s like that also.   I was just talking to one of my customers today about HS sports.  He said the wrestling is just a mess now from wrestlers having to sit out, thanks to contact tracing.  

I figured the UP wouldn’t be very compliant.  Get away from Lake Mich here (I’m in Berrien), and it’s like that also.   I was just talking to one of my customers today about HS sports.  He said the wrestling is just a mess now from wrestlers having to sit out, thanks to contact tracing.  
It shouldn't even be going on at all.  But she gave an inch there.  Then what happened?  They started crying about having to wear masks during the games.  Coaches won't wear them either.  Teachers neither.  She will never please the right short of seppuku  So why even consider them at all?   It's ####### sick. 

I'd also say probably 75% of travel athletes (people with money) are heading to Florida this week too.  My kids barely have classes.  It's movie week so we can accommodate those athletes who left early.  It's just infuriating.  

It shouldn't even be going on at all.  But she gave an inch there.  Then what happened?  They started crying about having to wear masks during the games.  Coaches won't wear them either.  Teachers neither.  She will never please the right short of seppuku  So why even consider them at all?   It's ####### sick. 
There are plenty on the left who want the HS sports also.  I thought the only people who could attend was 2-4 from each player’s family.  I don’t get Mich TV, so I don’t really know all of her rules.  Now Indiana is lifting the mask mandate in 10 days, no restrictions in  LaPorte County, next county to me.

I'd also say probably 75% of travel athletes (people with money) are heading to Florida this week too.  My kids barely have classes.  It's movie week so we can accommodate those athletes who left early.  It's just infuriating.  
I see that problem here also, kids are going to Alabama for travel ball.  My brother is a coach and  his family is going to  Arizona, he’s a big lib though.

There are plenty on the left who want the HS sports also.  I thought the only people who could attend was 2-4 from each player’s family.  I don’t get Mich TV, so I don’t really know all of her rules.  Now Indiana is lifting the mask mandate in 10 days, no restrictions in  LaPorte County, next county to me.
Oh I know.  People are conveniently hypocritical.   Everybody is.  My dad (died in the wool Democrat) is this way.  Anything I do is unsafe, but anything his wife does is ok.  I'm the same way.  I recognize that in myself and acknowledge it.  

Oh I know.  People are conveniently hypocritical.   Everybody is.  My dad (died in the wool Democrat) is this way.  Anything I do is unsafe, but anything his wife does is ok.  I'm the same way.  I recognize that in myself.    
And everyone’s kid is Mike Trout lol.

And everyone’s kid is Mike Trout lol.
Yep.   Got scouts from Grand Valley state coming up to the game.   Lol.    The best athlete to ever come out of my town is Kevin Tapani 40 years ago.   Second best made it as far as farm league hockey.  But the amount of pressure these sports families put on the kids is almost comical if it wasn't so sad.  

Yep.   Got scouts from Grand Valley state coming up to the game.   Lol.    The best athlete to ever come out of my town is Kevin Tapani 40 years ago.   Second best made it as far as farm league hockey.  But the amount of pressure these sports families put on the kids is almost comical if it wasn't so sad.  
It’s a very nice school, my brother lives in the area.  

I voted for Whitmer, but she lost me when she threw that tantrum and vetoed most of the budget because she did not get everything she wanted after taking office. So for months funding was idled but Whitmer did not care as it had zero impact on her of her family.   Basically why I pretty much despise all politics.  And I don`t like Shirkey and his crew either,  

I voted for Whitmer, but she lost me when she threw that tantrum and vetoed most of the budget because she did not get everything she wanted after taking office. So for months funding was idled but Whitmer did not care as it had zero impact on her of her family.   Basically why I pretty much despise all politics.  And I don`t like Shirkey and his crew either,  
I agree.  Not a huge fan of Whitmer.  However the Republicans attempted to cut her power before she even took office.  The right fringe tried to kill her.  She’s in a tough spot.  Definitely an air of arrogance to her.  

She’s less awful than Snyder.  She’s not purposefully trying to kill people, at least I don’t think she is.  

I agree.  Not a huge fan of Whitmer.  However the Republicans attempted to cut her power before she even took office.  The right fringe tried to kill her.  She’s in a tough spot.  Definitely an air of arrogance to her.  

She’s less awful than Snyder.  She’s not purposefully trying to kill people, at least I don’t think she is.  
Accidentally killing old people isn’t as bad for sure.  

Accidentally killing old people isn’t as bad for sure.  
Is it an accident?  Was it bad intel gathering or listening to the wrong people?  I don’t know exactly what went wrong.  I think perhaps maybe inadvertent is a better word.  Still awful.  

Is it an accident?  Was it bad intel gathering or listening to the wrong people?  I don’t know exactly what went wrong.  I think perhaps maybe inadvertent is a better word.  Still awful.  
Does it really matter?   This will be forgotten in a few more weeks.  

Does it really matter?   This will be forgotten in a few more weeks.  
Intentions matter in terms of a lawsuit, I'd think.  But end of the day, not really.  The people who died matter.  Sadly you are most likely correct about it being forgotten.  Except those who lost loved ones won't forget.  Kind of like when you blow up a small village in some faraway desert.  The news cycle moves on but the pain of the survivors just festers.  

Along those lines, it appears like there is a witch hunt going on.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2021/03/27/gop-chairman-ron-weisner-apology-witches-comments/7030332002/

Charlie LeDuff. I read a profile of him in the Weekly Standard back around 2011/2012. What an interesting guy and a worthy gadfly in the ointment. Good to see he's still asking tough questions, writing tough articles, and holding people accountable.

As Whitmer was flying to Florida Whitmer`s top aide Liz Hertel posted pictures on Facebook from the beach Gulf Shores AL two days after being on TV warning the regular Michiganders not to travel on spring break anywhere.  How stupid can these people get?
The Whitmer travel part I get this time.  I’m going thru the same thing.  Her aide, ah no. When questioned about whether the aide’s daughter was vaccinated, I heard silence.  Whitmer did scold us about holiday travel, then took selfies with her daughter at the White House on Inauguration Day.  They really are out of touch.  Now she’s in a jam because the numbers are so bad now.  If she shuts down the state, no way she gets re-elected. 

The Whitmer travel part I get this time.  I’m going thru the same thing.  Her aide, ah no. When questioned about whether the aide’s daughter was vaccinated, I heard silence.  Whitmer did scold us about holiday travel, then took selfies with her daughter at the White House on Inauguration Day.  They really are out of touch.  Now she’s in a jam because the numbers are so bad now.  If she shuts down the state, no way she gets re-elected. 
Would be very suprised if Whitmer shuts down the state again as she is feeling the heat and in politcal survival mode right now.

Why is Michigan having such a terrible surge? Anyone have any ideas?
Have no idea.  Some school of thought is that Michigan was locked down too long.   Ohio and Indiana have been almost fully open months before Michigan and their numbers are much lower.

Why is Michigan having such a terrible surge? Anyone have any ideas?
Nope.  As I have said in this thread frequently.  I see significant compliance with mask wearing.  I almost NEVER see someone not wearing a mask.

Now I do think masks give a false sense of security and do not provide nearly the protection that we are told.   But.....I have read that the variants are increasing here which contributes to it.   Outside of that, no one really knows.  If we did I imagine it could be targeted for correction.

She's also mentioned the courts.  It seems they've neutered her power grab at least a little bit.
100% false.  She used the health department to shut things down after the courts ruled on her over using her authority.  So that's not it at all.

She's not closing things because Trump is no longer in office.  At least that's a significant contributor.  She can't blame him now, which she did constantly back in the fall of last year.  I know you guys won't agree with me on this one but I believe it 100%...Whitmer is unbelievably partisan and I think she shut things down, especially in the fall of last year, to hurt Trump's re-election bid.  

Nope.  As I have said in this thread frequently.  I see significant compliance with mask wearing.  I almost NEVER see someone not wearing a mask.

Now I do think masks give a false sense of security and do not provide nearly the protection that we are told.   But.....I have read that the variants are increasing here which contributes to it.   Outside of that, no one really knows.  If we did I imagine it could be targeted for correction.

My brother lives outside of GR and he said when you go north of him - into the smaller communities - he sees less mask wearing. But I don't know that that would explain the surge.

You already did.  Last week she issued a mandate requiring 2 year olds to wear masks. 
I guess I mean in terms of capacity and closures. 

why are we struggling?  Good question.  I’m directly across the lake from Chicago and our hospital is full now.  There was some talk about kids getting the rapid test for sports.  I can agree with some of that.  They also mentioned that it was people who went on spring break to Florida.  Not sure how much I buy into that since other people from other states were there also.  

Users who are viewing this thread