What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indoor TV used Outdoors? (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Anybody have any insight on using an indoor TV to mount on an outdoor covered patio?  I plan to purchase a cover and living in Georgia our weather is relatively mild.  I think my biggest concern will be humidity.  Is this a bad idea?

Yeah it works fine. Mine's going on 4 years now in a similar setup. It's done fine but if the humidity takes it out I'll just get another one. I think it was $130 TV. 

I did have to replace the Roku but that was probably just because it was an old Roku 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan on doing the same thing this summer. Going to buy a cheap TV so I can watch Twins games on the deck at night. I figure I can buy a few cheap TVs for the money they want for an "outdoor" TV. I am debating buying a cover for it like this one: Outdoor TV Cover

Any input if a cover is worth the $ or not.  I live in Iowa so not super humid but humid enough.  I will definitely be bringing it inside in the fall. 

Those of us in the harsher northern climates have to bring them indoors over the winter.  As I understand it, sub-zero temps can ruin the picture.

I have a 40" Vizio smart TV I call my traveling TV. It goes outside on the patio. In the garage when I want to watch two games.  In the family room when I want to watch two games.

I just move it around since it doesn't weigh anything. Stream everything through the chromecast so no need for cable wires. My wife bought it for me for Christmas two years ago - I think she spent maybe $140 for it. 

Electrically speaking, there’s no reason to spend a lot for a TV as long as it’s reasonably protected from the elements anyway. Here in Florida, the biggest danger is humidity and sunlight, but those can be mitigated.

I have a 40" Vizio smart TV I call my traveling TV. It goes outside on the patio. In the garage when I want to watch two games.  In the family room when I want to watch two games.

I just move it around since it doesn't weigh anything. Stream everything through the chromecast so no need for cable wires. My wife bought it for me for Christmas two years ago - I think she spent maybe $140 for it. 
Similar here. I have a 40" TCL Roku TV that lives on a tripod with a mount that is compatible with one I hung on one of the gust room walls.  Works out great.

Thanks for the responses.  I may get some crap for this but it's a fairly expensive and large (86") TV although I'm not paying a penny for it.  I hit my 20 year work anniversary and we get points that we can use for merchandise.  I don't really have anything else I want to use it on and I was in the process of putting in under decking at our house.  My wife and I discussed and it's what we wanted to do.  I definitely had second thoughts but she told me to go ahead as I put the 20 years in.  I've done like most of you guys for a while - drag a TV outdoors with me (even down to the fire pit sometimes!) and then just used a Firestick.  Worked great but it's a hassle to do and it's "only" 42" TV.

Due to it being nicer I do plan to buy a cover or maybe even an enclosure to put around it.

Users who are viewing this thread