What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass shooting in chicago (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus said:
How many have heard about this incident today? Has to be least civered mass shooting in recent memory.

15 people shot. Two dead. 
Chicago always seems to get downplayed. Sorry to see this earlier today. Figured it would not get much run in the media or here. 

parasaurolophus said:
How many have heard about this incident today? Has to be least civered mass shooting in recent memory.

I heard nothing, thats insane.

I know this is petty...but at what point do we start calling this Joe Bidens America?

Last edited by a moderator:
parasaurolophus said:

It's not a headliner on CNN, FOX or Reuters. If the mass shooting had occurred in Europe or Canada, it would've been covered by their national media as a top story.

It's just another night in Chicago, IL, USA. Here is a homicide tracker from the Chicago Tribune: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-homicides-data-tracker-htmlstory.html

Sad, the solutions involve culture and politics, but are not easy to implement.

KarmaPolice said:
Not all mass shooting are equal in the media's eyes.  This shouldn't be much of a surprise.  

Human beings have two instinctive biological imperatives

1) Survive

2) Reproduce

When humans were hunter/gatherers, they had to migrate to follow the resource base to survive. There was no technology and no modern farming to back them up. When they entered an area, the game there would naturally be alerted and be wary and many would leave. Foraging would tap out the resources on the ground at some point. Then you had to pick up, pack light, and keep moving.

If someone had a broken leg or couldn't keep up, they were left behind and they died.

Modern technology and society has removed all forms of pure natural selection. There are simply many mentally ill people living today who would not have survived in previous generations. Maybe a select few would be fortunate in that they were born into families with a strong resource base and had power and could manage a functionally non productive person.

Eugenics as an ideological system is terrifying and undignified. It's a crime against civilized society as a whole.

However, what no one wants to talk about is eugenics as a resource management system in a true crisis situation is a matter of survival.

Do you know why there is the saying that you can judge a nation by how it treats it's prisoners? Because there was a time in human history where a captured enemy could not be fed. Hands and manpower were not available to guard them. You needed your own labor and manpower just for day to day survival. So you took that captured enemy and cut their throats. The entire concept of prisoners is a luxury against the nature of true survival.

(Regarding the value of life for a sustainable future society) If there is a helicopter leaving an area soon to be flooded and death was certain, would you take the 500 pound individual person or take 6 small children in equal weight instead?

(Regarding the value of life when considering scarcity) If you were on a deserted island with a group and there was limited food and medicine, how much medicine would you give to someone almost assured of dying anyway?

(Regarding the value of life in a practical eugenics situation) If you had only 50K people left on Earth after a massive disaster, would you want a pair of people, both with a long family history of mental health issues and inheritable health issues, to mate and have a child in a new society of utter scarcity?

Many of these shooters are mentally ill. Many of the arguments are that society has no mechanisms to help them before this all turns tragic. But maybe society and nature was never meant to help them. Maybe they were slated to be casualties of natural selection but were fortunate (or unfortunate) to be born in a modern age and in a Western society.

Here's the part no one wants to hear. Not everyone can be saved. Not everything can be made fair for everyone. Some people were meant to suffer and die quickly.

Solving actual problems need a logistical pathway. If you want fewer white cops shooting black young men in predominately black areas, then only have black cops patrol those areas. That's an actual logistical solution to the problem. Trying to "reeducate" people with a lifetime of personal experience on varying levels makes no logistical sense. This is the failure of many leftist agendas, they look at feelings over logistics.

If America wants fewer mass shootings, then you don't try to ban guns, there are too many out there. If not a single gun was ever produced from this day forward, there would still be plenty of guns already in existence for people to shoot each other. What you do is identify the truly mentally ill and you isolate them from the rest of society. Pick a state and put them all in one place. Then it can become a "tribe" and can look for ways to regulate it's own community and it's specific needs. You also take one of my older suggestions and take a certain level/class of violent criminals and you strip them of US citizenship and throw them out of the country. Let's see how tough you are when you are being stabbed to death in some alleyway in Nigeria. Or being shot in the back of the head in the worst parts of Eastern Europe.

But since the ideas I push forward will trigger a jilted Karen in suburbia getting blitzed on cheap Trader Joes wine, they can't actually be discussed in our modern "civil"  society.

That being said, this incident is quite tragic. These people have families. They have friends. They have neighbors. Pain is a ripple, and the waves echo long after the bloodshed ends.

KarmaPolice said:
Not all mass shooting are equal in the media's eyes.  This shouldn't be much of a surprise.  
With the single biggest factor being does it advance their agenda or not.  If it can be tied to white nationalists, it would get 24/7 coverage. 

What we know:

- Race is not identified = black on black

- no speculation on ties to political motives/not lead story = not about Trump/right

Unrelated but a Chicago cop was shot in the face yesterday.  I believe it’s the 13th shot this year in the city.

You guys are intentionally obtuse.  The headline blasting across CNN right now is Stacey Abrams whinning about voters suppression.  Sure there are stories about it......if you search.  
Ugh, you guys going to make me say jon-mx is right...you know this is not what is on the talk shows and headlines.

Here are the current stories on CNN.  Each and every one has an obvious politically driven agenda twist to it.

The Georgia Democrat denounces 'Jim Crow in a suit and tie' as she shines light on GOP voter suppression

Abrams on GOP efforts to target voting: 'It is a redux of Jim Crow in a suit and tie'

Trump call found in trash folder on Georgia investigator's device

Analyst breaks down significance of call being in trash folder

Trump election fraud investigation in Georgia enters new phase with grand jury set to be seated

Georgia counties seek legal fees for 'frivolous' Trump voter-fraud lawsuit

Ugh, you guys going to make me say jon-mx is right...you know this is not what is on the talk shows and headlines.
If the shooter was white or was reported as white it sure would be. 

Mayfair mall shooting was incorrectly reported as a white shooter and that story was everywhere. That had half as many shot and nobody died.

If CNN had a Chicago shooting as the headline every weekend when it happened, people would complain about the liberal media being hyper-focused on this.  It’s a no-win issue.  15 people shot in Chicago on a weekend isn’t a story — it’s a normal weekend.

You guys are intentionally obtuse.  The headline blasting across CNN right now is Stacey Abrams whinning about voters suppression.  Sure there are stories about it......if you search.  
Strawman.

The argument was that it was not being covered at all by the media, not that it wasn't the headline or leading the news on these sides. 

If CNN had a Chicago shooting as the headline every weekend when it happened, people would complain about the liberal media being hyper-focused on this.  It’s a no-win issue.  15 people shot in Chicago on a weekend isn’t a story — it’s a normal weekend.
I think you are making jon's point for him.  Yes, this terrible #### is going on every weekend and yes liberals will not allow the liberal media to focus on it, there's more money and political capital in focusing on the enemy (republicans) trying to stop elections from happening.

Strawman.

The argument was that it was not being covered at all by the media, not that it wasn't the headline or leading the news on these sides. 
Let me educate you on what a strawman is.  It is when the argument is 'least covered mass shooting" and you turn it into "not covered at all".  That is a strawman.  YW. 

parasaurolophus said:

There is a pastor in Detroit who is always on the news has said this a number of times and again last night when he said  "Nobody cares when black people shoot and kill each other" "BL only M when a white person does the shooting."  It is sad that he is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trump, Trump, Trump, Fox, Fox, Fox. 
The fix is so simple - stop watching and/or giving them clicks.   It's fascinating how much you guys complain about CNN, but as you do you are giving them clicks and posting links in here giving them more clicks.   

It doesn’t get ratings. Just like when a black girl goes missing, that doesn’t get ratings. Unless black protestors bring these issues to our attention, blacks people are generally invisible in our society, as are all minorities. It’s very sad. 

It doesn’t get ratings. Just like when a black girl goes missing, that doesn’t get ratings. Unless black protestors bring these issues to our attention, blacks people are generally invisible in our society, as are all minorities. It’s very sad. 
IMO it says more about what we think and we want to see than it points to some insidious motivations by the media.  

FWIW, when I checked CNN yesterday this wasn't on their home page - but no less than five stories about Trump were  :lmao:

Haven't been there in a while and was a little surprised at how freaking cluttered their home page is nowadays.

IMO it says more about what we think and we want to see than it points to some insidious motivations by the media.  
That was my point. We agree. 
As a general rule, whenever you hear any accusation that the mainstream media is behaving in an insidious, deliberate political manner, there’s usually another explanation. Its a pretty tiresome meme. 

So your theory is people who tune into any sort of news would turn it off the second they see a dark face come on it?

Nice spin Tim.  As usual, your observation is so far from reality, I would not even know where to begin. 

That was my point. We agree. 
As a general rule, whenever you hear any accusation that the mainstream media is behaving in an insidious, deliberate political manner, there’s usually another explanation. Its a pretty tiresome meme. 
Your theory about theory that the mainstream media has no bias or agenda has been disproven by so many studies and experts.  Good to see you are in the science denial camp onthis one. 

Nice spin Tim.  As usual, your observation is so far from reality, I would not even know where to begin. 
Based on your rather amazing interpretation of what happened on January 6, it would not be a stretch to conclude that your sense of reality is far removed from mine. 

I think you are making jon's point for him.  Yes, this terrible #### is going on every weekend and yes liberals will not allow the liberal media to focus on it, there's more money and political capital in focusing on the enemy (republicans) trying to stop elections from happening.
It’s in the news every weekend here.   It’s not in the news elsewhere because it isn’t a story. If we had a 7.0 earthquake every weekend, it wouldn’t be a story either.

Your theory about theory that the mainstream media has no bias or agenda has been disproven by so many studies and experts.  Good to see you are in the science denial camp onthis one. 
Lol now there is science that proves the media is biased? What a strange little world you live in. 

Bias is not the same as agenda. 

They are a business- their agenda is generating clicks, viewers, and revenue.  

Nah. There is actually backlash against covering these incidents. There are actually groups out there that argue that black crime gets over covered. Or that white criminals get sheltered. 

This is what led to many campus police departments now not being allowed to use race in crime alerts. 

Let me educate you on what a strawman is.  It is when the argument is 'least covered mass shooting" and you turn it into "not covered at all".  That is a strawman.  YW. 
And let me educate you, here was your post:

1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

You guys are intentionally obtuse.  The headline blasting across CNN right now is Stacey Abrams whinning about voters suppression.  Sure there are stories about it......if you search.  
You inferred the story had to be searched for, but not covered by major news media as a major story.

Nah. There is actually backlash against covering these incidents. There are actually groups out there that argue that black crime gets over covered. Or that white criminals get sheltered. 

This is what led to many campus police departments now not being allowed to use race in crime alerts. 
I am talking in general.   We can find examples of someone or some group thinking just about anything.  Just saying in general the news is feeding us what we want and what is giving them clicks.  

And yes, there are some that are a lot better than others.  just odd the obsession over Fox and CNN when we have talked over and over about why they aren't great places to go for news.  

Last week I pointed out that it was the New York Times that exposed the stories about Governor Cuomo, both the nursing home scandal and the sexual accusations. Why would they do this if they had an agenda to protect liberals? I got no almost no response from the usual suspects in this forum; a few offered that “well, they covered it up for a long time until they finally had to report it!” offering no evidence whatsoever to back up this charge- because they NEVER have evidence. Only anecdotal questions as to why this story was reported vs this other one, such as this thread. Questions which almost always have answers that do NOT involve liberal bias. 
It’s very frustrating. There appears to be no way to convince thoughtful conservatives that this whole liberal bias thing is a fantasy. They seem to need to believe this, against all evidence. It’s become a matter of faith IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread