What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Good Times Ahead (1 Viewer)

The whole woke stuff is pretty annoying all  around.

However take the latest “issue”. Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss intellectual property owners choose to stop selling some books with some outdated stuff. Not sure if their hand was forced on this or they did it (people who are into this can tell me). To me this issue is now dead. Instead it becomes some culture war issue with Senators talking about it. 

Liberals are by no means blameless in this either.

Anyways I like @timschochet list. Let’s shoot for that.
It's all distraction so true believers don't pay attention to the fact that the Republicans didn't lift a finger to get them stimulus cash.  I thought everyone pretty much realized that.  

It's pretty unlikely that we'll experience another major pandemic in any of our lifetimes.  That said, I don't see how anybody could look at how we handled a relatively mild one like covid-19 and express confidence that we're well-prepared for the next one.  Our regulatory agencies lied to us about masks and drug their feet on vaccine approvals, and it feels as if there's only like a dozen or so of us who have any problem with that.  Also, let's not forget that it took about three months or so for everybody in the US just to casually accept that we just couldn't be bothered to do testing and contact tracing -- I still think it's kind of wild that we don't even talk about that anymore.    

Everybody has had just about enough of covid-19, but I think we all should be incredibly grateful to the gods of bat virology that covid isn't that contagious, isn't that deadly, and mostly just passes over young and healthy people.  This could have been vastly worse and I have zero faith that our response would have been any better. 

That said, I do take solace in knowing that New England now has to overpay for free agents like other mid-tier teams, so at least there's that.  
Well it depends if we have a guy like Kushner calling the shot when the next one hits.  I feel like this was a uniquely bad time for the US to have a pandemic with such an inept narcissist (and his kids) running the show.  It would have been much more professionally handled except for during Trump's presidency, which was essentially one long smash and grab.  I feel literally any other President before him going back 50 years would have handled it much better.  Sure there would have been political divides....but making the mask issue a masculinity issue was just an awful thing to do.  We will see.  I think we have much bigger challenges on the 50 year horizon to deal with.  I also, in all honesty, think we probably won't meet the challenge and as a species we are on the downswing.  I doubt there even is a human race in 500 years.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it depends if we have a guy like Kushner calling the shot when the next one hits.  I feel like this was a uniquely bad time for the US to have a pandemic with such and inept narcissist running the show.  It would have been much more professionally handled except for during Trump's presidency, which was essentially one long smash and grab.  I feel literally any other President before him going back 50 years would have handled it much better.  Sure tehre would have been political divides....but making the mask issue a masculinity issue was just an awful thing to do.
Actually it was a great time for the left, Trump was all but a lock to win re-election.

Well it depends if we have a guy like Kushner calling the shot when the next one hits.  I feel like this was a uniquely bad time for the US to have a pandemic with such and inept narcissist running the show.  It would have been much more professionally handled except for during Trump's presidency, which was essentially one long smash and grab.  I feel literally any other President before him going back 50 years would have handled it much better.  Sure tehre would have been political divides....but making the mask issue a masculinity issue was just an awful thing to do.
I don't see any reason to believe that we would have had widespread contact tracing under a Biden administration (say).  South Korea had no problem with this so it's not as if it was somehow logistically or technologically impossible for the US to pull off something similar, but it was clear by May or so that that just wasn't a thing that the US was ever going to do.  And it wasn't Trump standing in the way of quick and easy testing -- those folks were non-political employees at the CDC and FDA.

Trump was a bad president and he handled the pandemic terribly, but most of the people and institutions who were directly responsible for the US dropping the ball on covid are still sitting there waiting to screw up the next pandemic.

Actually it was a great time for the left, Trump was all but a lock to win re-election.
500,000 dead isn't a great thing for anyone.  Weird take.  It's rather fitting that Trump basically torpedoed himself because of greed and money.  Reminds me of the myth of Icarus in a way.  

I don't see any reason to believe that we would have had widespread contact tracing under a Biden administration (say).  South Korea had no problem with this so it's not as if it was somehow logistically or technologically impossible for the US to pull off something similar, but it was clear by May or so that that just wasn't a thing that the US was ever going to do.  And it wasn't Trump standing in the way of easy, widespread testing -- those folks were non-political employees at the CDC and FDA.
I'd say funding was probably an issue.  And Trump controlled the funding.  

500,000 dead isn't a great thing for anyone.  Weird take.  It's rather fitting that Trump basically torpedoed himself because of greed and money.  Reminds me of the myth of Icarus in a way.  
I said trump was a lock until the pandemic.  It wasn’t a weird take at all.  

Trust me, Biden isn’t hiding in his basement if there was no pandemic.  He would have been exposed badly on the campaign trail.  Is that a weird take also?

I don’t see how that’s true at all.  He may not have been landslided but I don’t know that he would have won.  It might have been closer.  I’ll give you that.  

You said it was a great time for the left.  That's just not true.  I know several people who lost parents because of the keystone cops response.  Not great at all.  

I don’t see how that’s true at all.  He may not have been landslided but I don’t know that he would have won.  It might have been closer.  I’ll give you that.  
Because the economy was doing very well and the border was relatively secure.  I wasn’t voting for him but he was going to win.  Not in a landslide, but by enough. His handling of the pandemic and the inner-city unrest did him in.

Because the economy was doing very well and the border was relatively secure.  I wasn’t voting for him but he was going to win.  Not in a landslide, but by enough. His handling of the pandemic and the inner-city unrest did him in.
Maybe.  I guess we will never know.  The Lord works in mysterious ways.  

The timing of the pandemic came at a great time for the left. 
Again I'd have to disagree.  The timing of the pandemic came at a particularly bad time for the United States.  I always put the country first because I'm a patriot.  I think that literally any President going back at least 50 years (Republican or Democrat) would have saved more lives because they would have listened to experts instead of their son in law.  I don't know that I've ever seen such malice towards states as we saw with Trump.  He pitted states against each other for PPE.  Said they should be nice to him.  At some point you have to quit playing games and just do your job.  

Again I'd have to disagree.  The timing of the pandemic came at a particularly bad time for the United States.  I always put the country first because I'm a patriot.  I think that literally any President going back at least 50 years (Republican or Democrat) would have saved more lives because they would have listened to experts instead of their son in law.  I don't know that I've ever seen such malice towards states as we saw with Trump.  He pitted states against each other for PPE.  Said they should be nice to him.  At some point you have to quit playing games and just do your job.  
It came at a bad time for the country but at a great time for the left. 

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around what future power grabs from international threats look like given our extraordinary nuclear capacity which makes mutually assured destruction very possible still. People forget about the nuclear threat somehow, as if it will never be used.

I worry more about rogue states acquiring and launching weapons than I do China, though I'm not entirely convinced that COVID wasn't a test biological warfare run. They try to hack into our power grids on the reg, what's a little biohack?

We're already losing the population battle to the Middle East and Pacific Rim. We are a house divided. We still, in the words of Trump (and he was right about this mean-spirited aside more than he knew) can't figure out and agree on which bathroom to use. It goes very deep. It goes to the core of identity.
You don't need to fear the nuclear arsenal of a country that elects a government sympathetic to your country.   

It isn’t dead up here.  I think it will become less and less fashionable but I still pass Trump signs on my way to work.  

One yard has and American flag, a Trump flag, a Veterans for Trump sign and a Keep Christ in Christmas sign.  Talking about begging for validation or thanks.  I chuckle.  Guy must be a joy at parties.  

It's pretty unlikely that we'll experience another major pandemic in any of our lifetimes.  That said, I don't see how anybody could look at how we handled a relatively mild one like covid-19 and express confidence that we're well-prepared for the next one.  Our regulatory agencies lied to us about masks and drug their feet on vaccine approvals, and it feels as if there's only like a dozen or so of us who have any problem with that.  Also, let's not forget that it took about three months or so for everybody in the US just to casually accept that we just couldn't be bothered to do testing and contact tracing -- I still think it's kind of wild that we don't even talk about that anymore.    

Everybody has had just about enough of covid-19, but I think we all should be incredibly grateful to the gods of bat virology that covid isn't that contagious, isn't that deadly, and mostly just passes over young and healthy people.  This could have been vastly worse and I have zero faith that our response would have been any better. 

That said, I do take solace in knowing that New England now has to overpay for free agents like other mid-tier teams, so at least there's that.  
I agree with a lot of this. However I would characterize Covid-19 as highly contagious and mildly fatal. Still a bad combination, but definitely could have been worse.

The slow-play of the vaccine approval for EUA was a joke. A terrible one at that. 

The lack of trying on masks, contact tracing and responsible gathering is a failure of all of us, but especially a failure of leadership. The U.S. had the worst administration possible in place for this pandemic. 

Trust me, Biden isn’t hiding in his basement if there was no pandemic.  He would have been exposed badly on the campaign trail.  Is that a weird take also?
Not a weird take at all.  But I strongly disagree with it. I believe Biden would have defeated Trump without the pandemic. Not as easily but he still would have won. 
I believe Trump knew this too, which is why he attempted to blackmail the Ukraine into hurting Biden. 

Not a weird take at all.  But I strongly disagree with it. I believe Biden would have defeated Trump without the pandemic. Not as easily but he still would have won. 
I believe Trump knew this too, which is why he attempted to blackmail the Ukraine into hurting Biden. 
I hate to give trump too much credit for anything.  He’s a political hack that doesn’t listen to the people who know best.  

Would be interested to hear more about this (from anyone not just the OP).
Hope you don’t mind hearing from me. 

Trumpism is largely based on his personal charisma (which I can’t deny even if it’s never worked on me.) Without that, his brand of nationalism/xenophobia/fear of brown and black folks, while still popular with a good chunk of the Republican base, is not popular with the American public as a whole. For the Republicans to win another national election they need to return to being a reasonable alternative to Democratic politics. That will take a few election cycles I fear. 

Hope you don’t mind hearing from me. 

Trumpism is largely based on his personal charisma (which I can’t deny even if it’s never worked on me.) Without that, his brand of nationalism/xenophobia/fear of brown and black folks, while still popular with a good chunk of the Republican base, is not popular with the American public as a whole. For the Republicans to win another national election they need to return to being a reasonable alternative to Democratic politics. That will take a few election cycles I fear. 
I agree he is highly charismatic to his base. That's why I can't see past him yet as far as the GOP is concerned.

Sorry, my intention was to say "would be interested in hearing more about this from everyone including the OP". The question on Trump and his future is probably the biggest elephant in the room in U.S. politics right now, IMO.

Yup.  LIBERATE MICHIGAN! didn't help matters.

Trump ran a gambit of trying to blame government while being the government.  Horrible move. 

Maybe. But he won 3 states that recently historically were blue by less then 100k votes. It's reasonable to think those states would/could have flipped back to blue in 2020. Also Arizona flipping blue was following the pattern of western states turning blue.

1. Operation Warp Speed will still be successful and Trump still won't get the credit he deserves.
2. BLM/Antifa domestic terrorism and riots will actually get worse.
3. Bidens border crisis will get worse.
4. Taxes (and inflation) will increase due to the obscene amount of pork in the "Covid Relief".
5. Incompetent Dem Governors from NY, CA, and MI will be removed from office.
Bonus: Tampa Bay (and Tom Brady) will win the Superbowl again.
Warp Speed certainly is something that should be revisited in hindsight by his detractors.

That being said, it's my anecdotal experience with Trump supporters that when I try to give Trump credit for Warp Speed and Biden credit for being the POTUS who is inacting what appears to be a successful vaccination roll out....it's met with nothing but derision.  

Guy comes in and makes two dozen posts telling everyone how it is, and simultaneously admits he only catches the local news and has no idea what is going on.   :lmao:  

Thread titled "Good Times Ahead" quickly turns into another thread where people can't stop talking about Trump.  :lol:

This place.

tonydead said:
Guy comes in and makes two dozen posts telling everyone how it is, and simultaneously admits he only catches the local news and has no idea what is going on.   :lmao:  

Thread titled "Good Times Ahead" quickly turns into another thread where people can't stop talking about Trump.  :lol:

This place.
Wait is this the same guy whose “local news” is in California? :lmao:

The whole woke stuff is pretty annoying all  around.

However take the latest “issue”. Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss intellectual property owners choose to stop selling some books with some outdated stuff. Not sure if their hand was forced on this or they did it (people who are into this can tell me). To me this issue is now dead. Instead it becomes some culture war issue with Senators talking about it. 

Liberals are by no means blameless in this either.

Anyways I like @timschochet list. Let’s shoot for that.
And real leaders like Kevin McCarthy embarrassing himself by reading a Dr. Seuss book that is not being culled to make his point.  Why not read one of the actual books being culled if you feel so strongly about it?  Because the people he is reading to will never be the wiser and the whole point is to stoke faux outrage.

Grace Under Pressure said:
People basically believe that Trump invented the vaccine, that is a complete joke. See post re: Trumpism is dead. Not so sure about that.
I'll never understand this.  Trump did the same thing every other government in the world did.  Reduce bureaucratic red tape to expedite delivery of a vaccine developed by the private sector.  It is really damning with faint praise to mark this as some "achievement".  

Not really, and I don’t even care all that much about politics honestly, but show me where I’m wrong.

It’s so clear what’s happening out there these days.  We’re a house divided against itself, while China is basically colonizing the South sea and Africa amongst other places.  China will win without even firing a bullet and all we’re worried about is wealth taxes, pregnant marines and Bill Burr jokes.
Is China going to fare any better than Europe or the United States at being a colonizing power?  Just wait till China has to deal with a) jihad, b) real internal demand for rights, c) colonies that don't get in line. 

tonydead said:

This place.
To be fair, tim posted the topic and was immediately met with pro trump defenders.  I think you are misjudging which side can’t get over him.

for gobirds ===>😂🤣🥲. - I posted all your responses for you

To be fair, tim posted the topic and was immediately met with pro trump defenders.  I think you are misjudging which side can’t get over him.

for gobirds ===>😂🤣🥲. - I posted all your responses for you
Note:  I didn't say it was one side or the other. 

That must have been in your head, just like it was when you saw people criticizing Tim's list and identified them as Trump defenders.  Most of the posters criticizing Tim before you chimed in weren't Trump supporters.  :crazy:

Is China going to fare any better than Europe or the United States at being a colonizing power?  Just wait till China has to deal with a) jihad, b) real internal demand for rights, c) colonies that don't get in line. 
The chinese government doesn't really care what their people think.  You do bring up some interesting points.  One thing they have is a pile of cash.

A) See the Uyghurs (the Communist party regards all Uyghurs now as potential terrorists)

B) See Tiananmen Square

C) Both A & B

It came at a bad time for the country but at a great time for the left. 
This is only true if you think killing a few hundred thousand people was worth diminishing Trump’s re-election chances. Personally, I think Trump wasn’t going to be re-elected regardless, and the extra deaths incurred related to his mismanagement were arguably skewed toward left-leaning individuals (city-dwellers, minorities). Then again, old people tend to be conservative.

In any event, it’s tough to argue pandemics come at a great time for anyone.

This is only true if you think killing a few hundred thousand people was worth diminishing Trump’s re-election chances. Personally, I think Trump wasn’t going to be re-elected regardless, and the extra deaths incurred related to his mismanagement were arguably skewed toward left-leaning individuals (city-dwellers, minorities). Then again, old people tend to be conservative.

In any event, it’s tough to argue pandemics come at a great time for anyone.
Pandemics has changed history.  Do you think the left played them to their benefit?  

Well this will age well.
Update: (45 days later)
 Looking at my receipts, on Jan, 8, gas for my truck was $2.18 per gallon. I filled up my truck for about $43.
I filled up yesterday. Gasoline was at $2.89. I filled up my truck for about $57.
I fill up my truck about every 10 days....that's an additional $500 / year.

My wife's car takes Premium Gas. She doesn't fill up as often but the gas is up to $3.20/gal.
I filled her car up yesterday. It cost $60.

There is a new crisis at out southern border...and...
...looking forward to the tax hikes!

Users who are viewing this thread