What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People who get overly excited for their birthday as an adult (1 Viewer)

After 21 your B-Day really doesn't matter anymore and nowadays that one is easily circumvented so it may not matter either.  I guess 55 (discounts on things) or 59-1/2 when you can start pulling from your 401K without penalty might be worthwhile too.  

Lady at our office actually got pissy and pouty when no one recognized her 50th birthday after she had complained long and loud about how she didn't want anyone to fuss about her 50th. Feigned nonchalance to butthurt in a heartbeat.

I loved it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday is the tenth anniversary of me no longer caring about birthdays and i'm SO excited!!!!!!!!!!

and i'm going to celebrate the day b4 St Patrick';s Day as the day the Pats got two tight ends again for the rest of my life!!

Me and the wife had a joint party for our 50th, we’re 6 weeks apart. That’s probably the last time I’m going to care 

I think it's pretty silly.  But then I remember that adults who get hyped for their bday probably think it's pretty silly to go on a fantasy football message board every day and talk to strangers about things not related to fantasy football so I guess we are even.

I always made a big deal out of my wifes... I don't need to make a big deal out of mine since the NFL throws me a SuperBowl every year for my bday.

I tread carefully for my wife’s bday every year. It’s right before Christmas.

We've been together a long time and early on I would pour on the presents. Now she says things like, “I have everything I want and if I see something I want I’ll get it throughout the year. So don’t get me anything.”

This is a trap. While I won’t lavish  expensive jewelry anymore I make damn sure to pick up her fav fragrances, wine, flowers and I take one chance on something wearable from a boutique and let the sales gal help me. 

One year she said, “wow, Christmas tree looks pretty bare under there.”

I responded, “you told me not to get you anything.”

Last minute shopping/wrapping is my forte.

I love my birthday, every year.  None of my friends have any idea when my birthday comes and goes, but I love making a big deal out of it with my kids for schtick purposes.  I like having the family make a nice meal of my choosing, making them sing for me and do my bidding all day (narrator: they don't do his bidding all day, nor any part of any day ever.) 

I wanna party with this guy. 
I was just naming things that happen at particular B-days.  There really isn't much else that changes after your 21st B-day as far as things you can now do.  I guess you could put down 50 for colonoscopy if you were daring....hahaha

I almost started a thread on this awhile back. Have several colleagues that take the day off for it. Have had several staff members at different offices expect a "birthday bonus" or some sort of unique and significant acknowledgement. 

Super weird to me - but I concede I'm not a birthday guy. I thought my 16th, 18th, and 21st birthdays were important (though not enough to halt life for) simply because I could then do more stuff. Every other birthday I didn't care. I don't see why they're special as everybody alive has one. 

I don’t make a big deal of mine, usually just a dinner out somewhere, but I like having my birthday near the end of August. For me, I feel like it kicks off the rest of the year, with Labor Day shortly after, then football and hockey would start back up, then right through Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

… So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

After 21 your B-Day really doesn't matter anymore and nowadays that one is easily circumvented so it may not matter either.  I guess 55 (discounts on things) or 59-1/2 when you can start pulling from your 401K without penalty might be worthwhile too.  
Don't sleep on the early bird dinner special, where turning 65 gives you that extra 10% off that you've always craved for.

I think it's pretty silly.  But then I remember that adults who get hyped for their bday probably think it's pretty silly to go on a fantasy football message board every day and talk to strangers about things not related to fantasy football so I guess we are even.
They wouldnt be wrong

I share a bday with an older sister and a BIL.  I don't make a big deal about if, but my family does.  For my 50th I specifically asked for it to be low key.  And it was.

Yeah, I would agree that its quite silly.  I'll generally take the day off (if its convenient to do so) but that's mostly because I need excuses to use all my PTO days before the end of the year rush.  Basically, if the weather is nice.....I'll use it as an excuse to squeeze in a round of golf (since by the time my birthday comes up, playing after work when I normally do isn't an option. Getting dark too early by then).

I'd honestly rather it just pass without any acknowledgement, but my family or close friends will usually insist that we grab dinner or something to "celebrate". So, whatever.

At my last job, I worked with a bunch of middle aged women who we CLEARLY all about their birthdays. So, of course, someone decided to keep a spreadsheet of everyone's birthdays so that they could make a big deal of it. Mine also happens to be on a holiday, which makes it tough for people to forget once they know about it. (at least the people that care about birthdays)

Started a new job a year ago. (Same company but a whole new group of people in a different office) Was in the office for a week and then COVID hit, (been working remotely ever since) so I escaped without any of my new colleagues knowing the birthday.  So I MAY have lucked out and broken the cycle. 

My sister-in-law celebrates a birthday month and gets angry if you don’t attend even one of the multitude of ridiculous events planned. 

She has been angry with me for 25 years.
Mine also has a a self-proclaimed birthday month, but it's a lot more genial than planning events and expecting attendance all month. It's sort of a joke, actually. So no harm, no foul in my book. 

I used to not care, but then I watched an episode of Charmed where they said you should celebrate every birthday because you never know if you will get another one.

Now I care even less.

I did take the day off this year.. mainly because I have been busting my but and had a couple of days to kill and thought.. yes, I should take the day and go day drink at TopGolf ..........

I mean once you are past 50 and short of 60, does it really matter anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread