What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wife takes too many photos and videos on her Phone - Android. What cloud services do you use? (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
Need something like iCloud where you can store the photos in the cloud rather than on the phone. Anyone have any good Android suggestions? Most of the options I see like Google Photos copies them to the cloud, but does not clear up space on the phone.

i thought Google Photos did this automatically, but I just looked it up and you have to clear the photos from the phone manually. You can do this from the Google Photos app. "Free Up Storage" is the option from the app. I tried the Amazon cloud once, but didn't like it at all and I think that works the same. It doesn't delete from the phone automatically upon upload.

I'm not aware of any that delete the photos, your wife will just need to delete every so often. Just verify the backup has happened.

We use Amazon photos. Heck, I may also have her phone setup to backup to Google photos as well, I can't remember if I stopped that before setting up Amazon.

Need something like iCloud where you can store the photos in the cloud rather than on the phone. Anyone have any good Android suggestions? Most of the options I see like Google Photos copies them to the cloud, but does not clear up space on the phone.
Go through the videos and delete ones that mean nothing and I am sure there are plenty..  Vids eat up lots of space.

Go through the videos and delete ones that mean nothing and I am sure there are plenty..  Vids eat up lots of space.
She is doing that now, but it ia going to be a problem. She takes LOTS of photos and vids. Have google photos backing up the photos but deleting them in the app also deletes them on the cloud and device. Looks like there is an option to delete from device only. Waitimg for some of mine to upload now to test.

She is doing that now, but it ia going to be a problem. She takes LOTS of photos and vids. Have google photos backing up the photos but deleting them in the app also deletes them on the cloud and device. Looks like there is an option to delete from device only. Waitimg for some of mine to upload now to test.
That is not true for Google photos. I back up all our photos to google photos. I can delete them on my phone and it doesn’t delete them on google.

I do pay fo extra space but it’s cheap.

That is not true for Google photos. I back up all our photos to google photos. I can delete them on my phone and it doesn’t delete them on google.

I do pay fo extra space but it’s cheap.
What I found was that when I clicked on the photo in Google Photos and selected delete, it warned me it would delete from the server and the device. After looking into it a little deeper it looks like you can select "delete from device" from the 3 dots on a photo and it removes it from the device and keeps it in the cloud. Also, if I click on the icon of my account and choose to free up space it will delete all photos from my phone that are backed up, so that looks like a viable option. It is like $1.99 a month for 100 GB so that looks like a solid option.

The only problem I had with Google Photos in the past was that it didn't automatically backup my photos from my phone unless I opened the Google Photos app. I'm sure that is some kind of setting or something.

If you need more than the free 15 gigs, its $20 a year for 100.  There's always the $100 for 2TB option.   If that's not enough, you might want to invest that instead in some therapy.   

Last edited by a moderator:
What I found was that when I clicked on the photo in Google Photos and selected delete, it warned me it would delete from the server and the device. After looking into it a little deeper it looks like you can select "delete from device" from the 3 dots on a photo and it removes it from the device and keeps it in the cloud. Also, if I click on the icon of my account and choose to free up space it will delete all photos from my phone that are backed up, so that looks like a viable option. It is like $1.99 a month for 100 GB so that looks like a solid option.

The only problem I had with Google Photos in the past was that it didn't automatically backup my photos from my phone unless I opened the Google Photos app. I'm sure that is some kind of setting or something.
It is - mine is set to auto sync when on wi-fi

It is - mine is set to auto sync when on wi-fi
Top Dog, I take it your wife is on iPhone? I believe you are correct that you have to leave the Google Photos app open to backup on iPhone. I was looking at this for my wife and had the same issue. IIRC, it's something about how iOS only let's apps operate in the background for a set time. 

Belljr, are you using iPhone? If so, I'll have to look into this some more. Otherwise, yes, Android definitely let's you sync even if Google Photos is not open. 

I use Google Photos hard... but I do not trust google based on their track record of discontinuing services - so I also have a 2 TBB USB-c HDD that I transfer photos to when I want to remove them from my phone. 

Top Dog, I take it your wife is on iPhone? I believe you are correct that you have to leave the Google Photos app open to backup on iPhone. I was looking at this for my wife and had the same issue. IIRC, it's something about how iOS only let's apps operate in the background for a set time. 

Belljr, are you using iPhone? If so, I'll have to look into this some more. Otherwise, yes, Android definitely let's you sync even if Google Photos is not open. 
No I have a Pixel 

I'm pretty sure that setting is in the app though

No iphones. Samsung S10 before, now the S21. I have the setting to backup my photos to google set, but if I take a photo and don't open the google photos app on my phone, it won't upload the photo until I actually open the app. Had the same problem with my old phone. Not sure what else I need to have set for it to work. I think the easy answer is to use the google photos app instead of gallery to view your photos and it will keep them in sync.

To test this again, I just took a photo of something in my office and will check google photos on the computer to see if the photo shows up automatically. I'm on wifi right now, so the option to only do it on wifi shouldn't be the problem..

No iphones. Samsung S10 before, now the S21. I have the setting to backup my photos to google set, but if I take a photo and don't open the google photos app on my phone, it won't upload the photo until I actually open the app. Had the same problem with my old phone. Not sure what else I need to have set for it to work. I think the easy answer is to use the google photos app instead of gallery to view your photos and it will keep them in sync.

To test this again, I just took a photo of something in my office and will check google photos on the computer to see if the photo shows up automatically. I'm on wifi right now, so the option to only do it on wifi shouldn't be the problem..
I stand corrected. This must have been an issue on my last phone. Just checked and my random photo of my coworkers desk is in my google photos. :shrug:

I like @Jaysus plan as well. Google DOES have a history of just deciding to not do crap anymore. I think backing up to the external drive is a solid choice as well.

you could hire the service of an italian guy to whack her phone they she wouldnt take no more pictures take that to the bank brohan 

I stand corrected. This must have been an issue on my last phone. Just checked and my random photo of my coworkers desk is in my google photos. :shrug:

I like @Jaysus plan as well. Google DOES have a history of just deciding to not do crap anymore. I think backing up to the external drive is a solid choice as well.
Manual download to my own server every so often.  Not giving that type of info/stuff to companies like google.  If you have extra hard drives (external or internal) it's easy to set up Storage Spaces using Windows that will mirror the drives in case of drive failure.  If you want bullet proof (in case of fire) back up the family photos folder off your Storage Space to another external hard drive every so often and take it to another location (work/office).

Jaysus said:
I use Google Photos hard... but I do not trust google based on their track record of discontinuing services - so I also have a 2 TBB USB-c HDD that I transfer photos to when I want to remove them from my phone. 
I am in the same boat.  I recently bought an external SSD that I backed up most of my Google account to.  I also pay monthly for Google Play music, which I believe was rebranded as YouTube music or something.  I also pay like 1.99 a month for additional cloud space with google.  I think they call it OneDrive now.  They constantly change the names of all their services.  Don't get me started on chat.

Users who are viewing this thread