What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pacific Coast Highway vacation suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Helaire-ious

Footballguy
Decided that spending two grand for lodging going to lake Tahoe was nonsense so the vacation will now be driving the Pacific Coast highway and obviously stopping and doing things and seeing things along the way.

We will be driving it south to north.

Anyone have suggestions & ideas on what to see/do & where to stay along the way?

Also, where to rent a nice convertible for the trip from?

Last edited by a moderator:
What Gally said above, it would make a big difference. Between San Diego and San Francisco it's easily a full week or more of driving and eating and sight seeing. And how old are the travelers?

Wife and I did this and ate at a recommendation from here in Carmel, Forge in the Forest. We really enjoyed it in 2013.

I'd also recommend getting a convertible and forgetting your license at home so your wife has to do all the driving. I really got to enjoy the scenery that way.

Roughly:

San Diego/la jolla 

laguna

santa Barbara 

carmel/Monterey 

San Francisco

tomales/bodega bay

your choice of Anderson valley/Russian river/Sonoma/Napa

Not sure if it's open now with COVID, but Hearst Castle is a pretty cool little tour.  Kinda awesome to see how the super wealthy lived way back in the day. 

San Fran obvioulsy

We stopped at a little restaurant after mavericks beach, I think it was half moon bay.   I really enjoyed it   I think it was Miramar beach restaurant

I didnt find Santa Cruz boardwalk worth it since it was basically like a New Jersey boardwalk.   

We hit some light house on the way to Santa Cruz - it was worth the 20 minutes to see the sea lions and a whale.

But as others mentioned it depends how far you are going.  We had to cut ours short and never made it down to the peninsula - we plan to go out again just to go to that area

There was a thread on this a while back. If you can find it, you'll benefit. I think Ron Swanson did this trip, actually.
I did.  Loved it.  I tried to search for the thread to link it here but well, you know, search...

Second the convertible recommendation. I was able to get a nice BMW from Sixt in San Diego very cheap compared to other options.

Hwy 1 washed out last month near Big Sur, and won’t likely be re-opened until the early summer according to reports. Something to keep in mind when planning your route. 

Quint said:
Hwy 1 washed out last month near Big Sur, and won’t likely be re-opened until the early summer according to reports. Something to keep in mind when planning your route. 
This!  For now, I've read, there's a five mile section that is detoured, so not too horrible.

Carmel is a neat little town.  Fun to walk down to the beach to catch a sunset.  Get there early and take a walk north right under the Pebble Beach golf course.  In town, if interested, is the Hog's Breath Inn, where Clint Eastwood used to hang out a lot (and own?).  

Gawain said:
Wife and I did this and ate at a recommendation from here in Carmel, Forge in the Forest. We really enjoyed it in 2013.

I'd also recommend getting a convertible and forgetting your license at home so your wife has to do all the driving. I really got to enjoy the scenery that way.
Planning on getting a vert. I will be driving. Cars are my passion

We will fly into San Diego or LAX
Depending on how long you have I would say fly into LAX.  SD is nice but you won't miss much skipping the the drive up from SD to LA.  Sure La Jolla, Seaport Village and Laguna Beach are nice spots in SD/OC but if you are under a time frame, save them for another time and start in LA.

Just south of Carmel -- Point Lobos.  The waves crashing on the rocky coast is pretty impressive.  You can drive right up to the coast line or do some hiking.   Will probably see otters and seals and depending on the time (early spring) maybe whales.

Depending on how long you have I would say fly into LAX.  SD is nice but you won't miss much skipping the the drive up from SD to LA.  Sure La Jolla, Seaport Village and Laguna Beach are nice spots in SD/OC but if you are under a time frame, save them for another time and start in LA.
Looks like we will be making this trip about a week total

I'm in L.A. and my wife and I are heading back up to Cambria for a weekend soon. Pismo Beach is also cool if you like massive cinnamon rolls and clam/crab chowder.

What types of things do you want to do? Besides driving? 

An overnight near Santa Monica lets you do Venice Beach (if you want) Santa Monica (lots of good restaurants facing the water on Ocean or can have a great meal at Tar and Roses), venture up PCH in Malibu (recommend the Reel Inn for a great casual seafood experience) etc.  I would think Malibu is can't miss on a drive like this.  Drive from Ventura to Santa Barbara is beautiful.  Can go to the Funk Zone in Santa Barbara and walk on Main St.  Many good beaches.  Phenomenal Mexican food including La Super-Rica Taqueria and Los Agaves.  Then there's the Central coast, which is awesome.  Can hit some good wineries the entire way

Drive from Ventura to Santa Barbara is beautiful.  Can go to the Funk Zone in Santa Barbara and walk on Main St.  Many good beaches.  Phenomenal Mexican food including La Super-Rica Taqueria and Los Agaves.  Then there's the Central coast, which is awesome.  Can hit some good wineries the entire way
This is my favorite drive and weekend getaway bar non from LA, this has to be the best coastal drive after Monterey and maybe Big Sur. Also seconding Los Agaves and any of the local wineries in the city. Overnight there is probably a good idea.

This is my favorite drive and weekend getaway bar non from LA, this has to be the best coastal drive after Monterey and maybe Big Sur. Also seconding Los Agaves and any of the local wineries in the city. Overnight there is probably a good idea.
Agreed.  La Super-Rica is a dive but man it's good.  Los Agaves has gourmet food in the most efficient fast casual process ever.  So so good.  If I could guarantee the same quality I'd franchise in ever city and be rich.  Especially to the areas that don't understand what great Mexican food is.  I was amazed at seeing locals across the country devour endless chips and salsa at terrible local Mexican restaurants and though it was great.  I want them to taste Los Agaves just once.

What types of things do you want to do? Besides driving? 

An overnight near Santa Monica lets you do Venice Beach (if you want) Santa Monica (lots of good restaurants facing the water on Ocean or can have a great meal at Tar and Roses), venture up PCH in Malibu (recommend the Reel Inn for a great casual seafood experience) etc.  I would think Malibu is can't miss on a drive like this.  Drive from Ventura to Santa Barbara is beautiful.  Can go to the Funk Zone in Santa Barbara and walk on Main St.  Many good beaches.  Phenomenal Mexican food including La Super-Rica Taqueria and Los Agaves.  Then there's the Central coast, which is awesome.  Can hit some good wineries the entire way
Good food, maybe live music, sites, museums, history, architecture, etc, Photography is a hobby of mine, cares are my passion so I'm looking forward to the drive, etc

Morro Bay is a nice stop as well.  Small town on the coast a couple hours north of Santa Barbara, just past San Luis Obispo & Pismo Beach. 

How far north are you going?  Crater Lake in Oregon was a bucket list place for me to visit, and it lived up to my expectations.

I've never been to the Redwoods parks, but loved the Sequoias inland in the south... I can't imagine going past those without taking a hike.

I had a lot of fun hitting all the places I could from the 538 burrito bracket https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-search-for-americas-best-burrito-starts-in-california/ when I was in California.  Someone should make a google map of that California bracket.

Good food, maybe live music, sites, museums, history, architecture, etc, Photography is a hobby of mine, cares are my passion so I'm looking forward to the drive, etc
Not sure when you are going but If you can catch a concert at the Santa Barbara Bowl that would be great. Hollywood Bowl isn’t too far from Santa Monica either. Great venues. As for museums, unless you are going into LA proper your best bet is the Getty Museum. Perfect for the day In Santa Monica. 

How far north are you going?  Crater Lake in Oregon was a bucket list place for me to visit, and it lived up to my expectations.

I've never been to the Redwoods parks, but loved the Sequoias inland in the south... I can't imagine going past those without taking a hike.

I had a lot of fun hitting all the places I could from the 538 burrito bracket https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-search-for-americas-best-burrito-starts-in-california/ when I was in California.  Someone should make a google map of that California bracket.
I am definitely interested in some light hiking. Flying out, so don't want to pack much gear

If you like wine, Paso Robles has a burgeoning red wine scene. 

Are you going north of San Francisco? PCH is beautiful north too but windy. Great camping, cool little towns, rivers. But if you get carsick, beware.

Agreed.  La Super-Rica is a dive but man it's good.  Los Agaves has gourmet food in the most efficient fast casual process ever.  So so good.  If I could guarantee the same quality I'd franchise in ever city and be rich.  Especially to the areas that don't understand what great Mexican food is.  I was amazed at seeing locals across the country devour endless chips and salsa at terrible local Mexican restaurants and though it was great.  I want them to taste Los Agaves just once.
I freaking love Los Agaves.  The salsa bar alone is worth a visit.  It's a little embarrassing how many plastic cups of salsa I abscond with to take home whenever I eat there.  Whenever I have family from out of town come visit, we go there.  It never disappoints.  The quality has been maintained even as they've opened a few more restaurants in town.  Damn, now I'm hungry. 

Beautiful hikes to be found there.  Been up that way a few times and always found a quiet, fairly empty trail surrounded by redwoods.  Many are available right off Highway 1 too.  Just a few minutes in and you forget the highway is there.

A few years ago I was on a school trip to SF and took some students to La Taqueria.  They still mention it four years later.  A while back one of them was heading there with his family and texted to ask me for the name of the place so he could go with his dad.  Damn, getting hungry again.

do we have a time of year?

quads at pismo are really fun.

breweries galore.

artichokes, when in season, are awesome.  stopped at an oceanfront, little dive bar, just north of Monterey.

the aquarium is amazing.  there's a little french restaurant in Monterey, that i could probably dig up the name of, if you like.  tiny.  up the hill, on the south side of the aquarium.

the ritz at half moon bay, has/had an awesome bagpiper at sunset.  simply gorgeous way to close out a day.

all of this is pre-covid.

breweries galore.

artichokes, when in season, are awesome.  stopped at an oceanfront, little dive bar, just north of Monterey.

the aquarium is amazing.  there's a little french restaurant in Monterey, that i could probably dig up the name of, if you like.  tiny.  up the hill, on the south side of the aquarium.

the ritz at half moon bay, has/had an awesome bagpiper at sunset.  simply gorgeous way to close out a day.

June

San Fran

breweries galore.

We had a bar table right there for this multiple nights, awesome spot and the beaches were fun to explore as well. 

breweries galore.

If you want a great steak and artichoke plan to go to the Hitchin Post in Casmalia (not the HP2 in Buellton).  Best steak you will have and the artichoke is by far the best you will ever have.  Santa Maria is also having a deal where if you stay at the Santa Maria Inn you get a $100 to spend at a few local restaurants and Hitchin Post is Casmalia is one of them.  Definitely worth it.  

If you want a great steak and artichoke plan to go to the Hitchin Post in Casmalia (not the HP2 in Buellton).  Best steak you will have and the artichoke is by far the best you will ever have.  Santa Maria is also having a deal where if you stay at the Santa Maria Inn you get a $100 to spend at a few local restaurants and Hitchin Post is Casmalia is one of them.  Definitely worth it.  
Steak, yes. Artichokes? Nope!

Users who are viewing this thread