What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Anthony Firkser, ATL (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
I could have sworn that there was a thread for Anthony Firkser; however, I could not find it, so here is a thread dedicated to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans re-signed TE Anthony Firkser to a one-year contract. 

Firkser is locked in as the team's No. 1 tight end heading into 2021 after the departure of Jonnu Smith. Tennessee could have retained Firkser with a tender as a restricted free agent, but chose to strike a deal with the underrated tight end. Occasionally operating as the team's top pass-catching tight end in 2020, Firkser saw a career high 53 targets from Ryan Tannehill. He ran 14.5 pass routes per game to Smith's 20 routes per game. The team clearly sees Firkser as a starting caliber player. He could have sneaky utility in 2021 fantasy leagues. 

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2021, 10:56 AM ET

Yet another reason not to make FFPC cuts until the last minute. I'd already cut him in my mind a month ago but now he is a keeper or at least a trade block candidate. 

Titans general manager Jon Robinson said TE Anthony Firkser needs to improve as a blocker. 

In a Monday presser, Robinson said every Tennessee tight end would need to be up to speed as a blocker. Firkser, the team's presumed TE1 after the departure of Jonnu Smith, has been used primarily as a pass catcher in his three years with the Titans. Robinson described him as a "dependable pass catcher" -- a muted compliment, to be sure. Firkser's status as an appealing late-round tight end selection could get shakier if comments about his blocking ability surface this summer. Veteran Geoff Swaim is listed as the No. 2 tight end on the team's roster. 

Apr 26, 2021, 11:39 AM ET

Seems like one of those guys who wi be picked up abs cut about 7 times this year. He’ll have a good game, someone will chase points, he’ll have two bad games and get cut, rinse, repeat.

TennesseeTitans.com's Jim Wyatt reports TE Anthony Firkser was the "busiest pass catcher" at Titans OTAs. 

OTA usage is notoriously unreliable, though it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Firkser, a favorite late-round target of best ball drafters, sits atop Tennessee's tight end depth chart after Jonnu Smith's departure to New England, and reportedly dominated targets at Thursday's OTA session. Wyatt "counted four catches from [Firkser] during a quick stretch, including back-to-back snags during a team period." Firkser in 2020 averaged 14.5 pass routes per game while Smith averaged 20. Firkser briefly served as the Titans' primary pass catching tight end while Smith dealt with an undisclosed lower body injury. His ADP could creep up with more positive offseason reporting. 

SOURCE: TennesseeTitans.com

May 28, 2021, 9:53 AM ET
Of course this gets posted on roto a few picks before my 4th rounder is up in a TE premium league...

Firkser is interesting right now. He may be the #2 or #3 pass catcher on the offense. Seems like TN should really add someone at WR and/or TE though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
ANTHONY FIRKSER TE, TENNESSEE TITANS

Titans GM Jon Robinson said the team is still monitoring the tight end position.

This came in the midst of Robinson's conference following Tennessee's trade for Julio Jones. While the Titans may be looking into free agent options, there aren't many quality players to choose from. Trey Burton and Tyler Eifert are the biggest names who have yet to sign with a team. For now, Firkser is expected to take on a larger role in 2021 and could push for a TE1 season. The Julio trade takes a swath of targets off the table but Tennessee doesn't have a tight end who will threaten Firkser for snaps, putting him in a good position to be a red zone weapon for an efficient offense. 

Jun 6, 2021, 4:51 PM ET

He's an excellent Harvard receiver against zone-as smart as they come at finding a soft spot; some seasons he was perfect catch rate against zone.

He's iffy in man and improving every year but real questionable 

He's put on weight. He's 250 now maybe 255. 

He's not good blocking inline and usually because he's just not built for it and playing WR so much ...it's just not his thing.

The Titans are hoping he could learn to block inline and be their Jonnu replacement but it's very much unlikely. They are expected to sign a TE but they like a couple UDFAs they got.

Firkser is effective from the slot and blocks just fine there.

Ya gotta understand he was an excellent fifth sixth option in prior years. With depth players covering him. When he jumps way up to third option, everything changes and he's facing better defenders.

If the Julio signing means a three WR set (and it appears so) then I would be intrigued here. That's it. Not go draft him like a star TE but hmmm.

The Titans have a slick quick WR they like named Cameron Batson and idk how he's fitting in in the slot but he is gonna muddy these waters like Reynolds.

I really think ya draft Julio and AJ and then just plan DFS for other Titans targets. They're soooo risky

Vrabel called him a third down TE yesterday
I’m not sure I know what that means.  Is he saying that he won’t be i. There to block but he’s a receiver that will be in on 3rd downs to catch passes?   I can’t tell if his comment is a positive or negative for Firkser. 

I’m not sure I know what that means.  Is he saying that he won’t be i. There to block but he’s a receiver that will be in on 3rd downs to catch passes?   I can’t tell if his comment is a positive or negative for Firkser. 
Same as what I said earlier just with a different flavor.

He can't block inline so he's gotta be only in passing situations.

This is a problem because Arthur Smith's offense is one which you don't know who is doing what and that makes him predictable and...continuing Smith's offense was what we were sold all off-season. Since Julio, now it seems they'll be 3WR sets soooo we'll have to wait n see. I lean towards last year's O that was their best ever

ESPN's Turron Davenport expects TE Anthony Firkser to be "factored heavily" in the Titans' red-zone plans.

Firkser was one of the standouts of Tennessee's OTAs, running with the first-team offense over Geoff Swaim. The Titans like Firkser as their Jonnu Smith replacement, though GM Jon Robinson said last month the team is "still monitoring the position," suggesting a veteran signing or Zach Ertz trade could be in the mix. Firkser, who averaged 14.5 pass routes per game last year, is set up for a larger red-zone role with Smith gone, but needs to show he's improved as a blocker to be a full-time starter.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 2, 2021, 7:29 PM ET

Hes always been a red zone guy but inside the five, maybe ten, the Titans get big and he comes out. 

So to followup Firkser has not developed into a classic TE inline blocker.

Like I said earlier- They put time in for years and I don't know that he will. 

Their offense switched from 2TE to 3WR.

The Titans (and really everyone writing anywhere) believe the third target could have a favorable matchup every week with the outside WRs being so dynamic.

Marcus Johnson has blown everyone away since the spring. He's done everything well, all three, and really would be a topic of conversation if not for AJB and Julio.

Chester Rogers hit the fountain of youth and has had a camp. Did you see that punt return? Who was that in his uniform?

Firkser is statistically one of the best at getting open against zone. He has struggles against man to man but he greatly improved last year.

I really think the above three are going to appear to us FF folks as sharing a spot. Reynolds could bump Rogers here.

A lot of people are plugging Firkser into a Jonnu role as if Jonnu was Kittle or Kelce. How many catches did Jonnu have?

I don't like his ADP

Bri said:
So to followup Firkser has not developed into a classic TE inline blocker.

Like I said earlier- They put time in for years and I don't know that he will. 

Their offense switched from 2TE to 3WR.

The Titans (and really everyone writing anywhere) believe the third target could have a favorable matchup every week with the outside WRs being so dynamic.

Marcus Johnson has blown everyone away since the spring. He's done everything well, all three, and really would be a topic of conversation if not for AJB and Julio.

Chester Rogers hit the fountain of youth and has had a camp. Did you see that punt return? Who was that in his uniform?

Firkser is statistically one of the best at getting open against zone. He has struggles against man to man but he greatly improved last year.

I really think the above three are going to appear to us FF folks as sharing a spot. Reynolds could bump Rogers here.

A lot of people are plugging Firkser into a Jonnu role as if Jonnu was Kittle or Kelce. How many catches did Jonnu have?

I don't like his ADP
I've actually been seeing his ADP dip into the 16th round and beyond in best ball and I'm buying there. I think the issue, as I see it, is that this defense is going to be pretty bad and I think they may have to throw more than they'd probably like to.  It's possible that Reynolds or Fitzpatrick are the beneficiaries but I think Firkser will get targets. agree that you can't plug him into the Jonnu role. In general, I'm assuming a decrease in efficiency but an increase in volume for the passing offense.  I can see something like 55/600/6.

I've actually been seeing his ADP dip into the 16th round and beyond in best ball and I'm buying there. I think the issue, as I see it, is that this defense is going to be pretty bad and I think they may have to throw more than they'd probably like to.  It's possible that Reynolds or Fitzpatrick are the beneficiaries but I think Firkser will get targets. agree that you can't plug him into the Jonnu role. In general, I'm assuming a decrease in efficiency but an increase in volume for the passing offense.  I can see something like 55/600/6.
16th? Well that's understandable. He's never lasted that long in any drafts I've been in

Anthony Firkser caught 3-of-4 targets for 19 yards in the Titans' Week 1 loss to the Cardinals. 

Firkser was the only Titans tight end to catch a pass, though Geoff Swaim dropped an 11-yard touchdown in the end zone. After summer rumors of a more limited role than expected, it is safe to classify three catches in a game where the Titans never led and mostly trailed by double digits a hugely concerning result. It's tough to say Firkser has any TE2 juice heading into next week's matchup with the Seahawks.

Titans declared Anthony Firkser (knee) inactive for Week 2 against the Seahawks. 

Firkser saw four targets in Week 1 and was in play as a TE2 option before being ruled out. He logged limited practices early in the week but his absence was foreshadowed by a DNP on Friday. Geoff Swaim should get the start for Tennessee but is nothing more than a desperation play for those who were planning on using Firkser at tight end. 

Sep 19, 2021, 3:12 PM ET

He's not much of a blocker.

He's not very good against man.

He's had seasons where he was (catch percent) perfect against a zone.

He's not expensive and is an excellent 3rd or 4th TE. He fills his role great. He's just not a 1 or 2. 

He's a good guy who could be one of the smartest in the NFL so he's absolutely perfect to have in meeting rooms for the young stud to chat with. Arthur can't be everywhere, why not have a Harvard grad there when he's not.

I really think this is a signing for Pitts' development.

If I were Firkser, I'd be worried of serving a purpose and being cut after camp but....if he sticks, he'll be useful again.

I like how Arthur and Pees aren't just bringing any Titan over but selective and thoughtful. None of them are making big $ and it's just "well if you wanna work, I got a job for you." 

Arthur is still one of the most impressive young coaches in the league to me and I'll forever love that it is thru hard work and not his father's billions

He's not much of a blocker.

He's not very good against man.

He's had seasons where he was (catch percent) perfect against a zone.

He's not expensive and is an excellent 3rd or 4th TE. He fills his role great. He's just not a 1 or 2. 

He's a good guy who could be one of the smartest in the NFL so he's absolutely perfect to have in meeting rooms for the young stud to chat with. Arthur can't be everywhere, why not have a Harvard grad there when he's not.

I really think this is a signing for Pitts' development.

If I were Firkser, I'd be worried of serving a purpose and being cut after camp but....if he sticks, he'll be useful again.

I like how Arthur and Pees aren't just bringing any Titan over but selective and thoughtful. None of them are making big $ and it's just "well if you wanna work, I got a job for you." 

Arthur is still one of the most impressive young coaches in the league to me and I'll forever love that it is thru hard work and not his father's billions
👍🏽 I like the guy, would have preferred to keep him over Swaim, but good for him. 
If he wants, Firkser can get himself into coaching and make it pretty far I think. 

Users who are viewing this thread