What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boy CNN tried to make the Atlanta shootings all about race (1 Viewer)

I think this is fair.  I don't think we should deny racially motivated crimes or actions happen, we all know they do.  I don't know what the true numbers are versus historical.  They could be up some, it could be due to the way we are tracking these things, I just don't know. 

I have a friend whose wife is Asian American and I know she is worried about all this.  I was talking with my friend about this a couple days ago when he brought it up and it was his opinion the way these things are covered makes it worse.  Not specifically this one story, but the way that our news cycle is one racial story after another.  It drives guys who were just bad people with racist attitudes decide they are going to take actions on those feelings, sure.  But most importantly, I think it can lead someone who has little to no racial bias begin to see everything through a racial lens.  Everything in our news today is covered that way.  Whether or not you view this as a racially based crime, that's the debate we are having and our news coverage is having.  How are we supposed to expect people to treat everyone equally when race is the primary issue with almost every news story?  There are times those discussions need to be had, but I think it's toxic to interject race into every story.  Take the Deshaun Watson story, everywhere I saw updates on Twitter today the comments immediately went to would this be happening if he were a white player.
What makes something a "Racial" crime?  If I shoot a white guy am I racist against whites?  None of this makes sense.  Every crime IS a racial crime because the perp is committing it against someone who belongs to a race.  :shrug:

Nice lecture by Kamala.  Very stern.  I like it when she nods her head up and down while she’s talking - her version of a Jedi mind trick.  If this VP thing doesn’t work out she has a job waiting for her at CNN.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes something a "Racial" crime?  If I shoot a white guy am I racist against whites?  None of this makes sense.  Every crime IS a racial crime because the perp is committing it against someone who belongs to a race.  :shrug:
That's kind of my point.  I'd wager most crimes committed by one race against a person or people of another race aren't primarily motivated by race.  Yet that's the immediate place we go today.  We are seeing it with the Deshaun Watson story, to some extent the question is now not what really happened but people are asking would a white player get this same treatment?  It's not healthy for our society and if the first thought about any story is always about race, we are going to keep spiraling downward and at each other's throats.  That kind of environment is going to foster more racists, not less.

Is this a SC alias or something?  

Definition of hate crime

: any of various crimes (such as assault or defacement of property) when motivated by hostility to the victim as a member of a group (such as one based on color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation)

The difference is intent.   You could shoot a white guy during a robbery or you could post on FB about your hatred of white people and then go shoot a white guy.   Yes, in both cases somebody of a race died, but only one case is a race/hate crime.  

That makes no logical sense. It is not what race one belongs to that makes it a racial crime, it is the intent of the person committing the crime and if the intent was to be against a person because of their race, then that makes it a racial crime.

That makes no logical sense. It is not what race one belongs to that makes it a racial crime, it is the intent of the person committing the crime and if the intent was to be against a person because of their race, then that makes it a racial crime.
And currently "intent" is whatever the media overlords determine it is and that needs to fit the narrative.

"Intent" is just another word for "if he/she didn't have intent we'll make it up and call it a 'RACE CRIME'!".

Which news network would you like them to emulate more? 
Hey Mass, I miss your old logo/avatar, and to answer your question, MoP stopped watching news back in summer/pandemic, I do catch some headlines but when I click I usually feel empty so I try not to fall for the clickbait, same as NFL in the off season..."Miami trades DOWN!" and then you click and it's a fake scenario about their options if they decide to go that way and people defend the writers and say "They gotta make a living" and I usually disconnect. 

-I freely admit at this point that others will know more about current issues than I might however a very nice group of folks with too many names to list that hang out in the @Otis thread like @fred_1_15301 @bostonfred @krista4  @kevzilla and so many other nice folks have taught me to believe in myself so that I don't need news stories to make me feel OK about my observations of the world around me. They went to work on MoP and showed me that I could eliminate a whole bunch of headaches and heartaches by just concentrating on myself. i can only be of service to others if I have taken care of my needs first so that I am not thinking about myself in these situations. 

Personally, I decided to emulate some folks that seem to have the recipe figured out to stress and anxiety and a lot of it revolves around activity and exercise. I turned my back on physical activity for far too long and was able to take back control of my life in many verticals where I was losing my grip. 

Not sure that answered the question my friend but I wanted to share, cheers!

I think this is fair. 

Good post - thanks.     
Not enough of this. Look "friends"  ;)  MoP loves you all but you make it almost impossible to carry on any kind of intelligent posts or thoughts with so much silliness that basically is reprinting what you read at news sites and pointing to them to prove your theories in here...

I wish everyone would have a "reset" or take a step back and acknowledge that we have allowed the media to control a lot of our emotions and pointing the finger at innocent folks who come here to post and think and discuss. You can't have a conversation with just one person but that's exactly the monologues that get posted by some folks with absolutely not a care how it will land with the audience here. 

This story is sad from top to bottom and nothing we post in here is going to bring back 8 dead people no matter what gender or race or religion, 8 people left home in the morning assuming they would see their family when they returned that night and it didn't happen. 

Have a heart and have some love for the families of these victims. 

2 of the 3 spas were not exclusively nor advertised as Asian.  Specifically they had International and Latin American “models”. 

Also, it’s reported he didn’t even own a cell phone and was living in a rehab center so I don’t think it had much to do with online stuff. 
I'm likely to get in some sort of trouble for posting back and forth on this but I am under the impression as a person who has never stepped foot in a massage parlor of any kind that many or most of the ones around me in South Florida are modeled as "Asian" massage parlors regardless of weather they employ people who might fall under that race title but I want to share that it is very insulting to call someone who is Korean and another who might be Chinese and yet another as Japanese, that's pretty gnarly to just call them all Asian. I understand why and where it comes from, nobody should feel bad but they should be understanding and have the ability to pivot if need be. 

-I'm at Tiki 52 today and a nice couple decided to sit along side my wife and I as we sat close to the water and the boats away from the other folks and the bar area...guy is talking and says "Oriental" to describe folks form the Far East which is pretty awful. Rugs are Oriental, no humans call them self Oriental these days that I know of. I wanted to correct him but he's 75 yrs old, what good is it going to do at this point?

-We bar hop down US1 to a little local cantina and the next guy at the bar starts complaining about train stops being put in around Jupiter down here...I just calmly ask him what's the beef/problem and he says "I don't want those people coming here" and I asked him "what people?" and he could not really answer that question and my wife had to kind of get between us so i didn't take a bite out of him while I was there...and it wasn't worth it in this case either, he had to be 65 and is watching way too much television. 

Cheers TD 

Hilarious.  Joe goes from talking about the need to pass his Covid hate crime Bill (without any evidence this was a hate crime) and in the VERY NEXT SENTENCE he lectures “And we have to start believing in the science.”  Oh God the comedy we are in store for in the next 4 years.
:shrug:

he’s only reading what the put in front of him

And currently "intent" is whatever the media overlords determine it is and that needs to fit the narrative.

"Intent" is just another word for "if he/she didn't have intent we'll make it up and call it a 'RACE CRIME'!".
Are you being serious?  Do you honestly not think there's hate crimes and it's all made up by the media.  

I'll give you a hint.  Those guys that used to wear white hoods and burn crosses... they committed a lot of hate crimes.  We probably don't need to interview them to find out their intent.

If someone goes into a Jewish Synagogue and shoots up the place... He may have just gone into the first building he found and it had nothing to do with Jewish people, but chances are it was a hate crime.  We probably don't need to interview him to find out his intent.

Are you being serious?  Do you honestly not think there's hate crimes and it's all made up by the media.  

I'll give you a hint.  Those guys that used to wear white hoods and burn crosses... they committed a lot of hate crimes.  We probably don't need to interview them to find out their intent.

If someone goes into a Jewish Synagogue and shoots up the place... He may have just gone into the first building he found and it had nothing to do with Jewish people, but chances are it was a hate crime.  We probably don't need to interview him to find out his intent.
Chances are, huh? So the assumption is that it's race related? Or maybe just as the first building he came to?

That's my whole point.

I also found it weird that people are cheering so loudly that CNN and other outlets were mistaken.  Less than 6% of the US population is Asian American.  Over 75% of the women killed in this spree were Asian.  It had the appearance of a hate crime, but media all over the world were wrong in this assumption.

Is something being viewed as a hate crime or not a hate crime a Republican vs. Democrat thing?

I also found it weird that people are cheering so loudly that CNN and other outlets were mistaken.  Less than 6% of the US population is Asian American.  Over 75% of the women killed in this spree were Asian.  It had the appearance of a hate crime, but media all over the world were wrong in this assumption.

Is something being viewed as a hate crime or not a hate crime a Republican vs. Democrat thing?
No. It’s an obvious thing. 

Now run the percentages of Asians in the spa sex market of Atlanta. 

It's the fact that because they jump to conclusions like this, and are often wrong, they are ripping open racial wounds and divides in this country.  Again, yes hate crimes do exist.  But when every story becomes about race, and is often shown to be wrong, it's going to make it fertile ground to breed more true racism and racists.

Good point.  I never considered this.  

But it wasn't that obvious.  Almost all media in Canada reported this as a 'suspected hate-crime'.
Of course they did. Thats what our country was saying. If almost every media source in Canada was reporting an event in Canada one way, do you think our media would contradict them?

The media seems to have backed off on the racist, hate crime, white supremacy angle.   Maybe thay are starting to figure out what some of us knew all along. I expect the authorities to announce no racist motive pretty soon. Zero chance he is charged with a hate crime, I'd wager quite a bit on it. 

Yep. Cuomo (not the touchy feely one, his brother) and the mayor of Atlanta saying that well, hate crime isnt necessarily always about race, in can be about sex....

Yep. Cuomo (not the touchy feely one, his brother) and the mayor of Atlanta saying that well, hate crime isnt necessarily always about race, in can be about sex....
of course it can be about sex.   religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, etc.

not saying we know any of this is the case here, just saying it can be about any number of those things. 

of course it can be about sex.   religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, etc.

not saying we know any of this is the case here, just saying it can be about any number of those things. 
Unfortunately too many just jumped to the race issue first, and that is the case in these issues now.  I lean to the sex issue for the cause. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter as the shooter will never see the light of day again.  

Of course. Yet today’s media , and some posters here, immediately jump to OMG RAAAACE!!!! every time

Unfortunately too many just jumped to the race issue first, and that is the case in these issues now.  I lean to the sex issue for the cause. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter as the shooter will never see the light of day again.  
This I disagree with.   We do need to our best to figure out the reasons so we get better at identifying and preventing.   

Sample size down when throwing percentages out there?

Now that this crazy guy is in jail did Biden or Harris talk about going after the Spa owners who human traffic, who import, use and abuse and ruin the lives of thousands of women every year? Who force them into a life as sex slaves for food and shelter?   Were they even able to identify all the women ?

The Spa industry is a filthy business.

How are we going to stop a lone wolf?  
I think the more we know the more we might be able to look for signs and better our chances for sure.   Hard task, for sure.  

I don't think it does us any good to not try to understand what was being the shootings.  

Now that this crazy guy is in jail did Biden or Harris talk about going after the Spa owners who human traffic, who import, use and abuse and ruin the lives of thousands of women every year? Who force them into a life as sex slaves for food and shelter?   Were they even able to identify all the women ?

I dont have a problem right now with people not openly going after the sex industry. They should start laying groundwork behind the scenes, but publicly it could definitely seem like victim shaming. 

I dont have a problem right now with people not openly going after the sex industry. They should start laying groundwork behind the scenes, but publicly it could definitely seem like victim shaming. 
I agree but it Should have been done years ago. Hopefully this will bring it to the surface.

It always amazes me we will have people with sign saying this and that but you never get the same amount protesting the crimes that actually impact and ruin thousands of lives. some of these women have been killed before but they have no identity or family to even miss them.

I have friends who are in law enforcement, they all know what goes on in these places. Plus most of the women who are brought to work here don`t speak English and have nowhere to go in they run away so they are stuck in that life.

Should we make this side of the business legal? 

Should we make this side of the business legal? 
That is up to lawmakers. This is a dirty business that they do not seem to want to get involved in.  Even law enforcement turns their heads most of the time. 

When women are rescued from these Spas they really have nowhere to go.  They are basically used like animals are in a circus or zoo.

That is up to lawmakers. This is a dirty business that they do not seem to want to get involved in.  Even law enforcement turns their heads most of the time. 

When women are rescued from these Spas they really have nowhere to go.  They are basically used like animals are in a circus or zoo.
This is one of the many weird things about our country.    We don't want to address this stuff because then we would probably have to look to hard in the mirror and talk about *gasp* sex stuff.   

CNN, talk to you video team. If you want to push the White Supremacy angle, you my want to edit your videos a bit differently

Pay attention to the perpetrators shown.

To be honest, this shows just a very very small fraction of targeted attacks on Asians, and I buy that there is a rise in crime directed at that community. But I think saying its only whites and the "White Supremacy" thing is really out of touch. 

This is one of the many weird things about our country.    We don't want to address this stuff because then we would probably have to look to hard in the mirror and talk about *gasp* sex stuff.   
Very true.  It is sad that  people were killed..equally as sad is the thousands of women who are in a living hell working for these Spas that nobody gives a dam about. If you want to talk about modern day slavery you can start at Massage Spas.

Users who are viewing this thread