***OFFICIAL*** March Madness watch thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he took that to the bank brohans

The NCAA tourney is one of those funny things where you fill out your bracket but always root for the lower seed to win even if it disrupts your bracket. I love this weekend.

@SWC did it for him. 

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Well anyhow...you never know, it’s one game and I suppose the Bruins could pull off a stunner against Michigan. But damn they look overmatched. 

They've overachieved. It'll be cool they made it this far. 

1 minute ago, facook said:

They just CAN NOT believe they are losing to timschonch.

Actually my team is UC Irvine. UCLA is my wife’s team, and my parents. I root for them, but I didn’t go there. 

32 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Really happy for Juwan Howard ...he's done a fantastic job with this Michigan team.

You know who else is doing a hell of a job?  Penny Hardaway.  Memphis with a top D (#1?) and a young team (9th youngest?) that won the NIT going away. 

They had heartbreaking losses to Houston twice by a total of 5 points.  Top ten team. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Actually my team is UC Irvine. UCLA is my wife’s team, and my parents. I root for them, but I didn’t go there. 

Yep.

16 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Ack - I saw Oregon’s uniforms and had a seizure.

Well let's hope you never watch one of their home games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 1

Question... I thought the play in games were the teams playing to be the last teams in aka the worst of the 16 seeds. But UCLA is an 11 seed. Did I miss a change somewhere or am I just a doofus? 

11 minutes ago, simsarge said:

Question... I thought the play in games were the teams playing to be the last teams in aka the worst of the 16 seeds. But UCLA is an 11 seed. Did I miss a change somewhere or am I just a doofus? 

Usually 2 games of the worst 16 seeds and 2 games of the worst at large 11 seeds.

14 minutes ago, shuke said:

Usually 2 games of the worst 16 seeds and 2 games of the worst at large 11 seeds.

That's dumb. Why 11 and not 14 or 15 or what not? Seems silly making an 11 play in 

21 minutes ago, simsarge said:

That's dumb. Why 11 and not 14 or 15 or what not? Seems silly making an 11 play in 

Worst four automatic qualifiers and worst four at-large bids

21 minutes ago, simsarge said:

Makes sense, I guess. Still seems like if you're playing in, you should be a high teen

There are 31 automatic bids.  Usually about 12 to 16 of them do not deserve to be in based on merit.   That brings you down to about an 11th seed for the worst of the at large teams.  When they went to the expansion of the 4 play in games, it was all about including those bubble teams that had a pretty solid case (and to make more money).  It was not right to punish the automatic bids and it was also not right to punish teams that would have been solidly in, so they compromised and made two of the games the worst 4 automatic bid teams and the other two games the worst four at large teams.  

On a side note, this is probably why there were no 16 seed upsets until 2018.  The play-in game eliminated the worst two automatic bid teams, which slightly bumped up the overall quality of the 16th seed.  

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Seems weird to me that M is the late game when the other game has two west coast teams. 

Popular team in prime time. 7-8 hour isn’t prime time.  

2 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Seems weird to me that M is the late game when the other game has two west coast teams. 

I was planning to go, but I don't want to get home at 2am on a Tuesday night.  

1 hour ago, Capella said:

USC-Gonzaga could be a pretty good game. USC has been impressive throughout.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, simsarge said:
10 hours ago, shuke said:

Its because of automatic bid for conference tournament winners.  Bubble teams like Mich St./UCLA can't be seeded 15 or 16.

3 hours ago, Capella said:

It's still pretty weird that the Gonzaga-USC game is going to start at 4:15 local time for their fans, and the Michigan-UCLA game is going to start at 10 pm local time for Michigan fans. 

I guess UCLA fans are happy?

Edited by nysfl2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, nysfl2 said:

USC-Gonzaga could be a pretty good game. USC has been impressive throughout.

That line is 9.  Can't believe it's that high.  The others are also large spreads, all at 7 1/2.  Probably two more blowouts coming, great.  We've had 2 single digit games in the last 16 played.  Although UCLA Michigan shouldn't really count.  So 3 is all.

3 hours ago, Capella said:

I would question the popularity of either team.  The only real ratings pop you get in this game is Duke or Kentucky.  

The fab 5 have grandkids.  

4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I would question the popularity of either team.  The only real ratings pop you get in this game is Duke or Kentucky.  

The fab 5 have grandkids.  

Michigan draws eyes for sure. Top-10 viewing team, but more importantly the only significantly popular team left. 

25 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

That line is 9.  Can't believe it's that high.  The others are also large spreads, all at 7 1/2.  Probably two more blowouts coming, great.  We've had 2 single digit games in the last 16 played.  Although UCLA Michigan shouldn't really count.  So 3 is all.

Gonzaga is a murder squad. I agree that line seems high but if I bet it, I’m betting the Zags. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Michigan draws eyes for sure. Top-10 viewing team, but more importantly the only significantly popular team left. 

Yeah, I'm sure CBS is a little displeased about the lack of starpower.  I mean even Houston doesn't follow Houston basketball and Baylor is well, Baylor.  

15 minutes ago, Capella said:

Gonzaga is a murder squad. I agree that line seems high but if I bet it, I’m betting the Zags. 

I’m no fan of Gonzaga but would love to see them run the table here.  

15 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yep, it's so high I feel like I'm being baited.

And SC won't repeat that last game, which is what folks will go on.

So then I go back to the clock running out on Cinderella.  But you look at the Beavers run in a now solid Pac-12 tourney (beat UCLA, Oregon and Colorado) and it's not like they just had favorable NCAA tourney matchups of late.

55 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:
1 hour ago, Capella said:

@Dentistwill be soooo pissed off if one of these underdogs ruin the Zags perfect season. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

Just so we can quit talking about Bob Freaking Knight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Capella said:

I know I personally never turn the TV on before 8PM.  And I turn it off promptly at 11PM no matter what.