Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** March Madness watch thread

FWIW, I happened to recall (and looked back to confirm) that Michigan has arguably the top recruiting class of 2021.  They'll lose a lot after this year, but they should restock quite nicely.  

Also, I wonder what Isaiah Todd is thinking.  He was a very (maybe the very) top ranked recruit who had signed with Michigan, but then opted out and went to the NBA's G league.  Bottom line, what's the price over one's lifetime of having had - or not had - an NCAA tournament run?  :shrug: But I suppose a lot of these kids don't care about having any taste of the college experience.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he took that to the bank brohans

The NCAA tourney is one of those funny things where you fill out your bracket but always root for the lower seed to win even if it disrupts your bracket. I love this weekend.

@SWC did it for him. 

9 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

FWIW, I happened to recall (and looked back to confirm) that Michigan has arguably the top recruiting class of 2021.  They'll lose a lot after this year, but they should restock quite nicely.  

Also, I wonder what Isaiah Todd is thinking.  He was a very (maybe the very) top ranked recruit who had signed with Michigan, but then opted out and went to the NBA's G league.  Bottom line, what's the price over one's lifetime of having had - or not had - an NCAA tournament run?  :shrug: But I suppose a lot of these kids don't care about having any taste of the college experience.  

I thought I heard them say yesterday that Juwan was bringing "everyone" back?  Are there seniors that will maybe choose the take advantage of the extra covid year?

Just now, facook said:

I thought I heard them say yesterday that Juwan was bringing "everyone" back?  Are there seniors that will maybe choose the take advantage of the extra covid year?

Doubtful - they're going to lose a lot:

Livers and Wagner looked into going pro last year, and almost certainly will go into the draft. Probably late-first to early-second round picks.

Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown, and Austin Davis are all grad students. Brown is probably the only one of the three with a possible pro future (as a 3-and-D guy). I think they'd all be eligible to come back for the extra year, but probably just will move on with their lives.

Eli Brooks may be the most likely - just a senior, and no real pro future, so maybe he'd spend a grad year playing.

With the recruiting class coming in, minutes may be hard to find next year, too.

2 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

Doubtful - they're going to lose a lot:

Livers and Wagner looked into going pro last year, and almost certainly will go into the draft. Probably late-first to early-second round picks.

Mike Smith, Chaundee Brown, and Austin Davis are all grad students. Brown is probably the only one of the three with a possible pro future (as a 3-and-D guy). I think they'd all be eligible to come back for the extra year, but probably just will move on with their lives.

Eli Brooks may be the most likely - just a senior, and no real pro future, so maybe he'd spend a grad year playing.

With the recruiting class coming in, minutes may be hard to find next year, too.

Gotcha.  You are probably right about Livers and Wagner.  Wagner sure looked like a pro yesterday.

I could see Smith and Brooks for sure coming back.

5 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Yep, it's so high I feel like I'm being baited.

And SC won't repeat that last game, which is what folks will go on.

So then I go back to the clock running out on Cinderella.  But you look at the Beavers run in a now solid Pac-12 tourney (beat UCLA, Oregon and Colorado) and it's not like they just had favorable NCAA tourney matchups of late.

I read some of this after they whooped Kansas though. USC is playing pretty great as a team and they have some elite talent. 

Their best player just had a game where he only needed to take six shots and they easily won. 

I am very much looking forward to that game. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, facook said:

I hadn't heard that, and at this point, I don't know the status.  @nysfl2 gives a nice walk-through of some of the dynamics.  As he notes, would a couple of the guys come back, given the risk of losing minutes to the new, young studs?  I'll be reasonably happy with Dickinson, Johns, last year's recruits, and the new class.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I read some of this after they whooped Kansas though. USC is playing pretty great as a team and they have some elite talent. 

Their best player just had a game where he only needed to take six shots and they easily won. 

Ultimately at the Elite Eight level nothing is shocking and USC does look great.  I expect Gonzaga won't be thrown off by their zone though.  The difference is USC can score with them and has athletes basically as good or maybe better.  I expect the Zags to win but if they are cold from 3 then I could see USC taking them out. 

11 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

What do we want in this game?

A Cougar or some Beaver? Both look pretty defensive so far. Sounds about right.

So far seems like the Beavers are tight and the Cougars are loose and ready to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Oh don't get me wrong, SC can beat Gonzaga.  I was just saying an off-game could be coming, while people betting them are thinking they are getting the Kansas / Oregon type games and grabbing all those points.  Gonzaga will only help to bring them back to earth.

I actually hope they're lights out again and we see a great game.  I said their free throw shooting will be their demise and I'm thinking this will be that time.

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I’d guess he’s probably thinking he made 250 grand instead of nothing and got to prepare against better competition. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
59 minutes ago, Capella said:

I’d guess he’s probably thinking he made 250 grand instead of nothing and got to prepare against better competition. 

Or, "man I hate studying and taking tests."  I mean really, 99% of us at age 18 would run away from that if we had the physical skills to play pro sports.  Can always go back to college if it doesn't work out.

25 minutes ago, Deamon said:

We are just overmatched here by Houston unfortunately.  Hell of a good run, hopefully it helps recruiting moving forward.

Ain't over yet.

Alright, I may get murdered for bringing this in here.  But considering it’s March Madness and Bueckers is the best thing to happen to women’s basketball since I can remember...that non-call on UConn at the end of their game against Baylor was brutal.  That Baylor girl got straight mauled by a UConn big that was not only clearly sliding into her but also had her arms out at about a 45 degree angle.  Terrible way to lose a game like that.  

Link

Carry on...

Edited by SayWhat?
Eta: added link
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, identikit said:

These announcers are dweebs.

I hate the Spenarkel games because he always says “just then” and for some reason it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. He says it all the time and I’ve never heard anyone else say it 

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Do not underestimate USC. I think they have a huge shot against Gonzaga and are a big threat to win it all. Their length is problematic for everyone and they a great point guard and 3 fearless shooters to go along with the Mobley brothers. Nobody is eager to play them right now. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Capella said:

There’s at least 300 bottles of Powerade in the range of every player. 

The National Sales Manager is screaming at the tv:

”THEY ARE MISSING OUR NEWEST FLAVOR!!! WHERE IS THE NEW FLAVOR????”

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

The National Sales Manager is screaming at the tv:

”THEY ARE MISSING OUR NEWEST FLAVOR!!! WHERE IS THE NEW FLAVOR????”

Yeah but then he feels better when he realizes he doesnt have goat boy as a spokesperson. 

• Like 1

Pretty disappointed in CBS lack of clarity on Kelvin Sampson ethical problems. They said something like he left Indiana under a cloud. He was fired with a 5 year NCAA coaching suspension after having had problems at the job prior to Indiana hiring him. His NBA experience was not optional. But I guess it looks bad to have a final four coach labeled unethical.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ffball-novice said:

Pretty disappointed in CBS lack of clarity on Kelvin Sampson ethical problems. They said something like he left Indiana under a cloud. He was fired with a 5 year NCAA coaching suspension after having had problems at the job prior to Indiana hiring him. His NBA experience was not optional. But I guess it looks bad to have a final four coach labeled unethical.

He did his time.

8 minutes ago, ffball-novice said:

Who cares, the ncaa sucks and they can piss right off. Good for him, and also I hope he’s handing his team giant stacks of money. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
40 minutes ago, Capella said:

There’s at least 300 bottles of Powerade in the range of every player. 

This is the site that rolls the full six pack out 4 deep.  It's beautful.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ffball-novice said:

Most of the rules he violated aren’t even rules any more - he had to sit out and has come back and performed.  Why make a deal out of it after all these years?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

Alright, I may get murdered for bringing this in here.  But considering it’s March Madness and Bueckers is the best thing to happen to women’s basketball since I can remember...that non-call on UConn at the end of their game against Baylor was brutal.  That Baylor girl got straight mauled by a UConn big that was not only clearly sliding into her but also had her arms out at about a 45 degree angle.  Terrible way to lose a game like that.  

Link

Carry on...

They said the entire game that they were letting them play physical. They called it the same the whole game. Just a few seconds before a UConn player got a lay up and was clearly hacked and there was no call. That same Baylor player flopped horrifically and got a foul called on a rebound that was like a soccer game.

I didn’t see any problem with that call as she was getting her shot blocked by two players and it was called the same way all night long and probably more to Baylor’s side because they were a lot more aggressive on defense. Again, that same Baylor player fouled Bueckers hard on a layup with what looked like a round house. I am not crying for her getting her shot easily stuffed at the end since the same call wasn’t made 20 seconds earlier on the other side. The physical play absolutely favored Baylor and their inside/bigs play so to call that at the end of the game (it wasn’t even close to brutal) would have been a travesty as the game would never have been that close.