Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** March Madness watch thread

32 minutes ago, stbugs said:

They said the entire game that they were letting them play physical. They called it the same the whole game. Just a few seconds before a UConn player got a lay up and was clearly hacked and there was no call. That same Baylor player flopped horrifically and got a foul called on a rebound that was like a soccer game.

I didn’t see any problem with that call as she was getting her shot blocked by two players and it was called the same way all night long and probably more to Baylor’s side because they were a lot more aggressive on defense. Again, that same Baylor player fouled Bueckers hard on a layup with what looked like a round house. I am not crying for her getting her shot easily stuffed at the end since the same call wasn’t made 20 seconds earlier on the other side. The physical play absolutely favored Baylor and their inside/bigs play so to call that at the end of the game (it wasn’t even close to brutal) would have been a travesty as the game would never have been that close.

no.

• Like 1

Every year I trick myself into thinking this could be the year of a cinderella story. 

Every year it is the same result. A bunch of #1 and #2 seeds advancing and ultimately a 1 seed winning. 

But I guess if i didnt trick myself into thinking that it wouldnt fun. 

Saying yay which #1 seed is going to win this year just doesnt really get me excited. 

Eta: yes I get that like 6 2 seeds, a 3 seed, a 4 seed and one year we had cinderalla 8 vs 7 matchup of checks notes...

Uconn vs kentucky. 

Edited by parasaurolophus

Hard to believe with all the upsets in the early rounds, we’re halfway to the second-chalkiest Final Four in the 64/68-team era (since 1985).

If Gonzaga/Michigan win, it will be three 1s and a 2 — matching 1993, when UNC, Michigan and Kentucky all were 1s and Kansas was a 2. All four 1 seeds made it in 2008 (Kansas, Memphis, UNC, UCLA).

24 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Hard to believe with all the upsets in the early rounds, we’re halfway to the second-chalkiest Final Four in the 64/68-team era (since 1985).

If Gonzaga/Michigan win, it will be three 1s and a 2 — matching 1993, when UNC, Michigan and Kentucky all were 1s and Kansas was a 2. All four 1 seeds made it in 2008 (Kansas, Memphis, UNC, UCLA).

I think though there was really a top tier of 3 teams the whole year. Everyone else had a bunch of losses or was from smaller conferences. Some years there’s less of a difference in the top 8/10/12 or whatever.

3 hours ago, 3 hour lunch said:

I hate the Spenarkel games because he always says “just then” and for some reason it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. He says it all the time and I’ve never heard anyone else say it 

Which clown is it that thinks that the net is providing "interference" for players? :lmao:  Like it's a new way to screen opponents or some ####.  I mean who comes up with that? 

7 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

The top have been on another level anyway, but the early round upsets is one of the reasons why we are headed towards chalk. The teams more likely to beat them were knocked out before they had a shot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deamon said:

no.

Sure, great answer. Did you watch the whole game? Did you see the non-call on Williams on her layup a few plays before? She should have gotten an and 1 and she was the one who missed 3 of 4 FTs at the end. What if she makes that FT, she’s not as nervous and as a good FT shooter she makes two and the non-call is literally meaningless? Just like everyone was so butt hurt for the Saints but ignored the holding and hands to the face on the exact same play or ignored the blatant miss of a face mask of Goff that took away 4 points. Everyone just wants to have something to tweet outrage about and the media loves it.

Picking one call to reverse when the whole game was called that way us just silly. Watch the game and the announcers even said multiple times that they were letting them play physical. Based on play styles that clearly benefited Baylor.

Here’s Stanford’s coach talking about how the officiating changed in the tourney or is she not a good source? https://www.ky3.com/2021/03/26/overly-physical-stanford-coach-questions-lack-of-calls/

The funny thing was I first read that on ESPN a few minutes ago and now I can’t find the link even on the NCAAW page. It’s almost like they removed the article because it’ll be better news and hits to keep playing up the non call angle. I had to get that link above by googling for it. Amazing how quick ESPN took away that article. They even disappeared another article about Texas being 0-3 against Baylor but those physical games would have them better prepared for the SC game tonight. Truly amazing how the media does truly edit things to paint a picture. Baylor outrage is better for business.

There are dozens of could be called fouls. The call was in line with exactly the way they called the game all night. I have no issue with it because I know that if they call the game differently that play doesn’t even impact the game. Cherry picking to feel butt hurt is a today’s world type of feeling acting like the non-calls before don’t matter as much. Baylor was likely happy to see that style of play (note that OSU in the link above is in the same conference) so they can’t cry when the officials stay consistent. Just one person’s opinion but I’m all for officials being consistent.

8 hours ago, culdeus said:

This is the site that rolls the full six pack out 4 deep.  It's beautful.

It’s the site of the final four too. Can’t wait to see what they roll out. The whole court should be made of recycled Powerade bottles. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Capella said:

It’s the site of the final four too. Can’t wait to see what they roll out. The whole court should be made of recycled Powerade bottles. 

That would imply anyone drank them.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Alright, I may get murdered for bringing this in here.  But considering it’s March Madness and Bueckers is the best thing to happen to women’s basketball since I can remember...that non-call on UConn at the end of their game against Baylor was brutal.  That Baylor girl got straight mauled by a UConn big that was not only clearly sliding into her but also had her arms out at about a 45 degree angle.  Terrible way to lose a game like that.  

Link

Carry on...

We had flipped to this game for the last minute or so. I just don't know how the refs don't call that. Really awful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

We had flipped to this game for the last minute or so. I just don't know how the refs don't call that. Really awful.

I mean UCONN is just the Duke of the women's game.  They get all the calls.  

59 minutes ago, whoknew said:

It was really bad. That was also almost definitely the best game of either elite 8. Bueckers is amazing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

It was really bad. That was also almost definitely the best game of either elite 8. Bueckers is amazing. 

No matter how some posters claim that game was reffed, there’s just no way around the fact that you can’t swallow your whistle when someone gets mugged to that degree on a potential game deciding attempt with a second to go. There’s no “next possession” nor second chance with one second to go.  I can see the argument for a non call on a drive to the rim, but on a 10 foot jumper?  Yeah, that’s a foul 100 out of 100 times.

And Bueckers is must watch TV.  Lots of talented MN players showing out these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Capella said:

She is awesome but she likely won't even be the best player on UCONN next year.  She definitely won't be starting at PG.  Azzi Fudd is awesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

She is awesome but she likely won't even be the best player on UCONN next year.  She definitely won't be starting at PG.  Azzi Fudd is awesome.

Yea I enjoy the women’s game but they need more parity. Seeing the same team over and over kind of sucks. 

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yea I enjoy the women’s game but they need more parity. Seeing the same team over and over kind of sucks. 

UCONN almost got Jones from Stanford and Boston from South Carolina last year.  They would have been stacked.  A lot of experts were projecting Fudd to be the future of the women's game, maybe even better than Taurasi, before her knee surgery.  I saw her a few times and she has kind of a CP3 game.  Only chink in the armor was behind the arc.  She has apparently addressed that weakness.

• Like 1

Has a team ever had an easier route to the Final Four than Houston this year, at least in terms of their opponent's seeding?  The highest seed they've played was a #10 seed.

• Beat #15 Cleveland State in the first round
  • Beat #10 Rutgers in the second round
  • Beat #11 Syracuse in the Sweet Sixteen
  • Beat #12 Oregon State in the Elite Eight

Admittedly, I haven't watched Houston at all this year before last night, but Oregon State played like garbage for most of the game and Houston still barely hung on to win.  I have a feeling they're going to get a wake-up call against Baylor.

2 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:

Has a team ever had an easier route to the Final Four than Houston this year, at least in terms of their opponent's seeding?  The highest seed they've played was a #10 seed.

• Beat #15 Cleveland State in the first round
  • Beat #10 Rutgers in the second round
  • Beat #11 Syracuse in the Sweet Sixteen
  • Beat #12 Oregon State in the Elite Eight

Admittedly, I haven't watched Houston at all this year before last night, but Oregon State played like garbage for most of the game and Houston still barely hung on to win.  I have a feeling they're going to get a wake-up call against Baylor.

No, they literally had the easiest. Tied with 2 other teams for easiest path ever. 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Sure, great answer. Did you watch the whole game? Did you see the non-call on Williams on her layup a few plays before? She should have gotten an and 1 and she was the one who missed 3 of 4 FTs at the end. What if she makes that FT, she’s not as nervous and as a good FT shooter she makes two and the non-call is literally meaningless? Just like everyone was so butt hurt for the Saints but ignored the holding and hands to the face on the exact same play or ignored the blatant miss of a face mask of Goff that took away 4 points. Everyone just wants to have something to tweet outrage about and the media loves it.

Picking one call to reverse when the whole game was called that way us just silly. Watch the game and the announcers even said multiple times that they were letting them play physical. Based on play styles that clearly benefited Baylor.

Here’s Stanford’s coach talking about how the officiating changed in the tourney or is she not a good source? https://www.ky3.com/2021/03/26/overly-physical-stanford-coach-questions-lack-of-calls/

The funny thing was I first read that on ESPN a few minutes ago and now I can’t find the link even on the NCAAW page. It’s almost like they removed the article because it’ll be better news and hits to keep playing up the non call angle. I had to get that link above by googling for it. Amazing how quick ESPN took away that article. They even disappeared another article about Texas being 0-3 against Baylor but those physical games would have them better prepared for the SC game tonight. Truly amazing how the media does truly edit things to paint a picture. Baylor outrage is better for business.

There are dozens of could be called fouls. The call was in line with exactly the way they called the game all night. I have no issue with it because I know that if they call the game differently that play doesn’t even impact the game. Cherry picking to feel butt hurt is a today’s world type of feeling acting like the non-calls before don’t matter as much. Baylor was likely happy to see that style of play (note that OSU in the link above is in the same conference) so they can’t cry when the officials stay consistent. Just one person’s opinion but I’m all for officials being consistent.

no.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I jus finished watching the replay and I have to agree.  That contact was allowed all night.  It can't be a foul with a second left when it was clean for 40 minutes.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

I jus finished watching the replay and I have to agree.  That contact was allowed all night.  It can't be a foul with a second left when it was clean for 40 minutes.

Yep, that no call on Williams made layup a few plays before easily could have changed the situation of the last play. Technically, I see the foul (saw it on the other play that isn’t all over social media) but I’m glad the refs were consistent. Reminds me of coaching my youngest son’s baseball time. I never minded an ump who called outside strikes if they were consistent because hitters and pitchers knew and could adjust. It was the scattershot ones that were impossible.

I think the problem, as usual, with the outrage is that 99.9% of the people complaining are only watching the highlight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Navin Johnson said:

I'm a wabbit slayer.  And a guitar player.   Kill da wabbit.  Kill da wabbit. 

(sorry could not resist...look up Ozzy Fudd if you don't get it).

24 minutes ago, Shankopotamus said:

I'm a wabbit slayer.  And a guitar player.   Kill da wabbit.  Kill da wabbit. 

(sorry could not resist...look up Ozzy Fudd if you don't get it).

No worries...She's actually named after Jennifer Azzi, former Stanford great.  Was surprised she didn't end up there.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yep, that no call on Williams made layup a few plays before easily could have changed the situation of the last play. Technically, I see the foul (saw it on the other play that isn’t all over social media) but I’m glad the refs were consistent. Reminds me of coaching my youngest son’s baseball time. I never minded an ump who called outside strikes if they were consistent because hitters and pitchers knew and could adjust. It was the scattershot ones that were impossible.

I think the problem, as usual, with the outrage is that 99.9% of the people complaining are only watching the highlight.

That could be it. Or it could be that people would like a foul called when a player is clobbered by two different opposing players while shooting a basket. 

very scary I hope stripes is ok my lady said it did not look like his right side leg was moving again I hope he is ok

Edited by SWC

Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

OMG.. ref just collapsed on the floor.  Hope he's ok

Maybe a heart attack.  He did not look good, but with medical teams available hopefully it will be taken care of.  

2 hours ago, whoknew said:

That could be it. Or it could be that people would like a foul called when a player is clobbered by two different opposing players while shooting a basket. 

It could be that people wanted it called a foul when that happened the entire game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

I was so wrong about this game. USC didn’t even show up in the first half. Expected at least a swarming defense. And Gonzaga has executed flawlessly on both sides 

Unlike last night's games, I don't see USC having a solid run and climbing back into this game.  Gonzaga is just too composed.

12 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

This tournament has been pretty boring overall. But, if it gives us Gonzaga v Baylor in the final that would be a nice ending. 

early rounds were great.  late rounds have sucked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

This tournament has been pretty boring overall. But, if it gives us Gonzaga v Baylor in the final that would be a nice ending. 

Michigan and Baylor have championship caliber teams most years.  But Gongzaga is special and no one is taking them down.   

• Like 2