***OFFICIAL*** March Madness watch thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he took that to the bank brohans

The NCAA tourney is one of those funny things where you fill out your bracket but always root for the lower seed to win even if it disrupts your bracket. I love this weekend.

@SWC did it for him. 

Net interference isn't a rule I'm aware of, but I do high school, not NCAA.

That is definitively not a goaltend in the NFHS rulebook, and I've heard that college is essentially the same.  NBA has some different goaltending rules I believe.  The key issue is if the ball had a chance to go in and the ball never was released by the offensive player.  Technically, it wasn't even a try (shot) yet when the contact started.

As for a foul, that would be a weak call in a game of this caliber.  At all levels, and particularly in the higher level men's game, some contact is typically allowed when the defenders hand hits the ball.  I watched that replay about 10 times and I'm still not sure if there was any arm contact...maybe it was elbow to elbow, but that offensive players arm movement could also be simply the result of the force on the ball.  I have no rooting interest and think it was a good no call.

Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 1

picked the right time to watch my 1st NCAA game of the year. dont like college ball anymore, been wanting to see what the Zag fuss was all about, but they all been blowouts (the reason i dont like college hoops). was checking scores, saw UCLA was ahead 16-14, says to myself "maybe they can give em a match". understatement.

never heard of this Juzang til this week. he's so herkyjerky i dont know if his game will convert, but i never seen an outside pl;yer shoot 12-18 being double & triple teamed like that. and that's a hella mature 18yo that made that shot for the Zags. great game.

6 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

(a) touching the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on the rim of the basket,

Thats a goaltending then, IMO.

The ball was never "on the rim"

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

The ball was never "on the rim"

Touching the side of the rim is not " on the rim".

That phrase refers to a ball on top of the rim with a chance to go in.

Edited by Jayrod
  • Thinking 1
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m repeating myself for the third time but I’m pretty sure by rule it should have been a goaltending - can somebody @Jayrod maybe speak to that?

ETA - because Suggs had gets in to the net with the UCLA still somewhat attempting to shoot 

I am not 100 percent sure, but I don't think it can be goaltending until the ball has left the shooting players hand. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, The Kansas Comet said:

He's done pretty well so far.  He's got a 4-star and a 5-star coming next year, and I imagine he'll get a good player or two from the transfer portal.  For 2022, he already has a commitment from a 5-star guard from Sierra Canyon HS.  As long as he goes after high level players who want to play for him and are willing to be coached, he should be very successful at UCLA.  

Agreed and I'm great with his style of play.  Tough defense and although they are not run and gun he lets his team play freely on offense.  If they get the shot - take it.  You know what style of play I'm not good with? Ohio State. They played the worst matador defense I've ever seen in their loss.  I would not be OK with that as a fan.  There is no excuse for playing half hearted defense and that's all coaching. 

This run should make UCLA (as well as the rest of the PAC12) a desired place to play basketball for top recruits.  

5 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

Just seen the block by Suggs again. Man that is so close. I feel like he got the ball and then as the UCLA player loses the ball from the block that Suggs gets him on his follow through slighty. I feel like either call could have been made there and you can't argue it. In slow motion it is really difficult to determine if it was a foul. In regular speed no chance. 

I also noticed that right after Suggs made the pass for the dunk when UCLA had the ball coming back on offense that the UCLA coach wasn't arguing the no foul call. I think he would have been more upset if it was obvious and he had a great view. 

It looks like Suggs rubbed elbows with him only after control of the ball was lost.  I am not sure if that constitutes a foul.

3 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

Agreed and I'm great with his style of play.  Tough defense and although they are not run and gun he lets his team play freely on offense.  If they get the shot - take it.  You know what style of play I'm not good with? Ohio State. They played the worst matador defense I've ever seen in their loss.  I would not be OK with that as a fan.  There is no excuse for playing half hearted defense and that's all coaching. 

This run should make UCLA (as well as the rest of the PAC12) a desired place to play basketball for top recruits.  

The bolded is one key way I think Cronin differs from Ben Howland, who wanted to manage every second of the game he could.  Howland was great at teaching his players the fundamentals and getting them to play the way he wanted, but he was a very inflexible coach when it came to in-game strategy.  That rigidity became his undoing as he began recruiting players who wanted more freedom.  Cronin seems to be better at in-game strategy as well as being flexible enough to let players play at the offensive end so long as the earn it at the defensive end.  I'm looking forward to the next few years of UCLA basketball.

That woman's final was nuts.  I know she was their best option at the end, but 3 girls were all over her and she still hucked it up even though a few of her teammates had NO ONE guarding them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Deamon said:

That woman's final was nuts.  I know she was their best option at the end, but 3 girls were all over her and she still hucked it up even though a few of her teammates had NO ONE guarding them.

There were less than 2 seconds when Brink committed to the triple team.  If Aari could have made the pass, they may win, but Jones is also sagging for secondary help.  Getting that pass there would have been risky as the 5'7 McDonald would have had to pass it over the 6'4 (plays like she's 6'6-7 because of her length) Brink.  I was pulling for Stanford and I wanted her to give it up.  The look they got was probably better than the alternative.

Last two minutes were ugly.  Stanford got away from their offense in the second half and went to way too much iso stuff.  Williams almost cost them the game.  6 TO's and a handful of others were her fault as she dribbled the shot clock down to far and then hung her teammates out to dry by finally passing it out with under 5 seconds.  Mamba mentality.

Phenomenal game. I was rooting for UCLA hard.

I normally like non athletic white dudes with great facial hair but I found Timme to be very unlikable. Suggs spent the entire game whining and complaining so he may have a future in the NBA.

The charge was the right call and a great play.

UCLA botching the 2/3 on one was a big mistake. 

The block on Cody Riley was a great, clean block. Good no call on the net interference as I don’t think it was a factor given the ball was blocked before it ever rose above the rim. 

Riley spent a lot of time on the floor looking for help from the refs. His defense is horrible. I think he contributed to the loss more than anyone. 

When that last shot went in I literally dropped to my knees and laid down on the floor. Total gut punch. 

GREAT GAME.

• Like 1

For you guys who pay more attention, I went and looked after the game and it appears none of the UCLA players are seniors....

Do you guys know if any of them are leaving? They should be a helluva squad next year with another year of development and a deep tourney run on their resume. 

1 hour ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

For you guys who pay more attention, I went and looked after the game and it appears none of the UCLA players are seniors....

Do you guys know if any of them are leaving? They should be a helluva squad next year with another year of development and a deep tourney run on their resume. 

I dont see how Juzang doesnt leave after that tourney. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I dont see how Juzang doesnt leave after that tourney. 

Yeah, I guess you’re right. That’s unfortunate. (For us and UCLA)

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
3 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

The guy they expected to be their leading scorer was a senior Chris Smith and he got hurt early in the season. In theory, he could come back next year if Juzang goes pro and take back the scoring role, but I have no idea if he plans to. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Yeah, I guess you’re right. That’s unfortunate. (For us and UCLA)

I think his stock can only go down, but the prayerful thinking out here is that while he shines on offense he could use another year to shore up his defense.  Personally I think he is headed to the draft

1 hour ago, styleride85 said:

I worry that Gonzaga got its scare out of the way early.  I'm not really a big fan of Baylor, but I've never wanted the Zags to lose as badly as I do tonight.  They're quite unlikeable. 

Don’t get this.  Timme’s antics aside the team is well coached and a helluva squad.  I’m rooting very hard for them tonight.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Don’t get this.  Timme’s antics aside the team is well coached and a helluva squad.  I’m rooting very hard for them tonight.

I graduated from Gonzaga & was played on the golf team, although at that time you just had to break 80 & smoke a bunch of pot.  Whatever happens tonight the Zags have surpassed my expectations.  Their last game made my day.  Win or loose it's all gravy.  Happy for both teams getting this far.  Nobody has to hang their head regardless of the outcome.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I think this happens in sports all the time. People love the underdog. 

32 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

9:20 start time - WTF.  I’ll be lucky to stay awake.

The networks are killing their future consumers. This, MLB, the NCAA football championship game - they have absolutely ruined a generation of potential sports viewers. Kids are not able to stay awake anymore to create memories for their sports viewing futures.

Who the hell is running these networks? Absolutely awful.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

The networks are killing their future consumers. This, MLB, the NCAA football championship game - they have absolutely ruined a generation of potential sports viewers. Kids are not able to stay awake anymore to create memories for their sports viewing futures.

Who the hell is running these networks? Absolutely awful.

West coast bias 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Just now, Alex P Keaton said:

Yep.  The 2nd one was a terrible reach by Suggs.  First one was a brutally bad charge call.

Yep - bad charge call but he needed to be smarter than that 

• Like 1

I remember Georgetown was down 8 to 0 and still won against Houston.  But this is crazy.  Baylor on the verge to blow out Gonzaga 

Edited by SHIZNITTTT

All the pressure was on Gonzaga. They are also coming in off of a heavyweight championship battle on Saturday, there could be fatigue as well with them only playing 7 guys

6 minutes ago, caustic said:

Baylor is crazy athletic. Wow.

Holy crap they are. It’s like Gonzaga can’t get a decent shot or a rebound.

8 minutes ago, Penguin said:

All the pressure was on Gonzaga. They are also coming in off of a heavyweight championship battle on Saturday, there could be fatigue as well with them only playing 7 guys

OT to boot.  Announcers now wondering about the letdown from Saturday as well.