Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** March Madness watch thread


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, shuke said:

Later in the week, while we are in between rounds, I would like to have a philosophical discussion about why some of us are so bad at filling out these brackets.  I used to win pools.  Now I can't even beat my wife and two kids, who don't have a clue about it.  

 

It's like fantasy football.  Nobody could understand why you would draft straight rbs for three rounds.  Now everyone picks a bunch of 12 seeds and peppers in a random amount of 10s and deep 3/4s  and has Duke losing early. At that point it's just variance beating you.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, shuke said:

Later in the week, while we are in between rounds, I would like to have a philosophical discussion about why some of us are so bad at filling out these brackets.  I used to win pools.  Now I can't even beat my wife and two kids, who don't have a clue about it.  

 

Not bracket but in that draft like 3 people said things like this really good team has to play a 1 seed in round 2 instead of taking the obvious top pick early on. I didn’t get that logic at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

That was pretty fun.  Other than missing 5 layups in a row during a second half stretch, the Ducks can't play much better than that on the offensive end.

Blew their wad today, unfortunately.  Toughest game of the year next Sunday against USC.  And contrary to popular belief, winning a 3rd time in one year vs one team is not that tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen Kansas play a lot this year, never once watched USC.

They look like one of those really elite Wichita State or Syracuse playing match-up zone with their incredible length. 

Edited by FishTacoTuesday
Sp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, facook said:

Blew their wad today, unfortunately.  Toughest game of the year next Sunday against USC.  And contrary to popular belief, winning a 3rd time in one year vs one team is not that tough.

Oregon only played USC once this year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Capella said:

Not bracket but in that draft like 3 people said things like this really good team has to play a 1 seed in round 2 instead of taking the obvious top pick early on. I didn’t get that logic at all. 

If only you would have had the opportunity to join in.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not only did the committee screw up and vastly over rate the Big 10.  They put the 2 best Pac 12 teams in the same bracket where they will have to play each other in the sweet sixteen.  That should never happen when a conference had 5 bids.  So stupid.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Capella said:

To be fair, they had a 30 year run that like one school can touch. 

I’d put em up there with Florida and Ohio State behind Bama. Got to start giving out those free shoes again.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

I have seen Kansas play a lot this year, never once watched USC.

They look like one of those really elite Wichita State or Syracuse playing match-up zone with their incredible length. 

Certainly dangerous but SC's free throw shooting will be their downfall.  Probably against Gonzaga, if they stay close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Who knew tha PAC 12 was the best conference this year? I mean, besides Lhucks. 

Both LA schools and the Ducks looked so good in these first rounds. Ducks and SC looked dominate really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Capella said:

I guess they’ll never get rid of Self but it seems like Kansas sure underachieves a lot. 

That Adidas money doesn’t buy what it used to.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

What a boring day, with wins by 16, 18, 19, 20, 15, 14, 8.  And SC up 19.

Came to make the exact same post haha.  Can't believe we didn't have any close games at all today.  Has to be a record that none of the 8 games were within 8 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

Best teams I saw this weekend: 

zags, Mich, Bama, and USC

Ducks and Ramblers next.
 

Holy #### USC is good. 

Enfield has that Florida Gulf Coast mojo working. Long, fast, fun offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really need USC and UCLA to win another round.  Could lock up my fun pool where I have them combined for 5 out of the 10 slots (You pick spots 1-10, can play a team as many times as you want at or above their seed, most total games won wins the pool). We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gilroy34 said:

Not only did the committee screw up and vastly over rate the Big 10.  They put the 2 best Pac 12 teams in the same bracket where they will have to play each other in the sweet sixteen.  That should never happen when a conference had 5 bids.  So stupid.

I dunno, Colorado beat USC and I think they had claim to the best team in the Pac 12, or at least top 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, shuke said:

Later in the week, while we are in between rounds, I would like to have a philosophical discussion about why some of us are so bad at filling out these brackets.  I used to win pools.  Now I can't even beat my wife and two kids, who don't have a clue about it. 

Not that I was ever great at it but this year in particular I've watched less college basketball than maybe any year in the last 25.  I don't know the teams or the players.  Throw in that most of the blue bloods had down years (UK, KU, Duke, UNC) plus the continuation of parity and you get a situation where most people don't really know who the good teams are.  Another factor is the perceived top basketball conferences have been dog####.  B10 and ACC in particular.  PAC12 has been a punchline for years but seem to have 2-3 really good teams.  Oregon and USC put on 2 of the better displays I've seen all tournament - sucks they have to play in the next round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Michigan looked really good last night.    I did not know their best player got hurt in the BIG tourney when I picked them to be in the final four though.  Was not a big fan of that midget PG they have, he tried to give the game away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FishTacoTuesday said:

To me that’s a call you will see in the NBA where guys are all works class athletes. It was a terrible call but I’ve seen it a handful of times already in this tournament. 

The LSU guy led with his shoulder, hit the defender squarely in the middle of his chest and knocked him backwards. That's a 50:50 call, at worst. Not nearly as bad as the ticky-tack fouls that they were calling on Michigan in the first half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

The LSU guy led with his shoulder, hit the defender squarely in the middle of his chest and knocked him backwards. That's a 50:50 call, at worst. Not nearly as bad as the ticky-tack fouls that they were calling on Michigan in the first half.

No offense but your version seems off - https://twitter.com/TroyMachir/status/1374165442672128007

I had no rooting interest and that was one of the worst calls of the tournament so far.  I'm not sure his shoulder even touches the guy.  Brutally bad.

Edited by AAABatteries
My language was a little rough for GB nysfl2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nysfl2 said:

The LSU guy led with his shoulder, hit the defender squarely in the middle of his chest and knocked him backwards. That's a 50:50 call, at worst. Not nearly as bad as the ticky-tack fouls that they were calling on Michigan in the first half.

How did he lead with his shoulder?  He is driving across the lane.  The contact isn't even in the same direction as his drive, by like 90 degrees.  Guarantee that official was embarrassed that he fell for it after watching the replay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Michigan looked really good last night.    I did not know their best player got hurt in the BIG tourney when I picked them to be in the final four though.  Was not a big fan of that midget PG they have, he tried to give the game away.

Michigan and Gonzaga are the only two teams in the Sweet Sixteen for four straight years now.  Michigan leads the nation in NCAA tournament wins over the past nine years, FWIW.  They've had a great run ...overachieving to reach the championship game in '13 and '18.  

I give the team, and Juwan Howard, a ton of credit for revamping the lineup and their game with a key senior (Livers) out suddenly.  Their "midget" PG, Smith, has played well, but he did make some really dumb plays against LSU.  Michigan could be dangerous now that they've adapted and have time to regroup.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Michigan looked really good last night.    I did not know their best player got hurt in the BIG tourney when I picked them to be in the final four though.  Was not a big fan of that midget PG they have, he tried to give the game away.

If it makes you feel any better, they don't really have a 'best' player. Any of Livers, Wagner, Dickinson, and even Smith can be the best player on any given night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2021 at 1:53 PM, tri-man 47 said:

Michigan and Gonzaga are the only two teams in the Sweet Sixteen for four straight years now.  Michigan leads the nation in NCAA tournament wins over the past nine years, FWIW.  They've had a great run ...overachieving to reach the championship game in '13 and '18.  

I give the team, and Juwan Howard, a ton of credit for revamping the lineup and their game with a key senior (Livers) out suddenly.  Their "midget" PG, Smith, has played well, but he did make some really dumb plays against LSU.  Michigan could be dangerous now that they've adapted and have time to regroup.

 

On 3/23/2021 at 4:45 PM, nysfl2 said:

If it makes you feel any better, they don't really have a 'best' player. Any of Livers, Wagner, Dickinson, and even Smith can be the best player on any given night.

@Capella  Curious on input from Cappy on FSU and those of you who know Michigan.  I know Michigan is the small favorite, but without Livers is FSU really the pick here?  And regardless who wins this game, does Alabama run through them?  In a Survivor conundrum...go with the "sure thing" in Bama Sunday and then be forced to pick the Mich/FSU winner AGAINST Bama Tuesday, or try to pick the Mich/FSU game Sunday and save Alabama and hope they can beat whoever wins Mich/FSU.  

Right now I'm leaning toward taking Michigan to beat FSU, and if I'm fortunate enough to still be alive Tuesday play Alabama against Michigan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, facook said:

 

@Capella  Curious on input from Cappy on FSU and those of you who know Michigan.  I know Michigan is the small favorite, but without Livers is FSU really the pick here?  And regardless who wins this game, does Alabama run through them?  In a Survivor conundrum...go with the "sure thing" in Bama Sunday and then be forced to pick the Mich/FSU winner AGAINST Bama Tuesday, or try to pick the Mich/FSU game Sunday and save Alabama and hope they can beat whoever wins Mich/FSU.  

Right now I'm leaning toward taking Michigan to beat FSU, and if I'm fortunate enough to still be alive Tuesday play Alabama against Michigan.

Bama would probably be a pick em against either of those teams so I’d probably take Bama now. Although, UCLA is playing really well so expect that game to be close too.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, facook said:

 

@Capella  Curious on input from Cappy on FSU and those of you who know Michigan.  I know Michigan is the small favorite, but without Livers is FSU really the pick here?  And regardless who wins this game, does Alabama run through them?  In a Survivor conundrum...go with the "sure thing" in Bama Sunday and then be forced to pick the Mich/FSU winner AGAINST Bama Tuesday, or try to pick the Mich/FSU game Sunday and save Alabama and hope they can beat whoever wins Mich/FSU.  

Right now I'm leaning toward taking Michigan to beat FSU, and if I'm fortunate enough to still be alive Tuesday play Alabama against Michigan.

I don't know anything about FSU so I can't really answer your question, but I've watched most of the Michigan games this year and they tend to struggle defensively against athletic guards who can score the basketball.  They are very solid both offensively and defensively on the front line though, even with Livers out of the lineup.  And @nysfl2had it exactly right in that Michigan has at least 5 different players who can lead the team in scoring on any given night.  Against LSU, it was Eli Brooks and 6th man Chaundee Brown that won the game for them on the offensive end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, facook said:

 

@Capella  Curious on input from Cappy on FSU and those of you who know Michigan.  I know Michigan is the small favorite, but without Livers is FSU really the pick here?  And regardless who wins this game, does Alabama run through them?  In a Survivor conundrum...go with the "sure thing" in Bama Sunday and then be forced to pick the Mich/FSU winner AGAINST Bama Tuesday, or try to pick the Mich/FSU game Sunday and save Alabama and hope they can beat whoever wins Mich/FSU.  

Right now I'm leaning toward taking Michigan to beat FSU, and if I'm fortunate enough to still be alive Tuesday play Alabama against Michigan.

FSUs offense will go through droughts - it is known.  If UM doesn't get in foul trouble and makes their shots I would expect them to win.  FSU defense is good but UM runs a good offense (in my limited times watching them).  I wouldn't be shocked if FSU wins but they'll need to win 55-50 or something like that.

Edited by AAABatteries
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

FSUs offense will go through droughts - it is known.  If UM doesn't get in foul trouble and makes their shots I would expect them to win.  FSU defense is good but UM runs a good offense (in my limited times watching them).  I wouldn't be shocked if FSU wins but they'll need to win 55-50 or something like that.

They suffocated Colorado who nearly put up 100 in the first round. Should be a good game. From what I’ve watched this year, Florida state seems a little less careful with the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 3 hour lunch said:

They suffocated Colorado who nearly put up 100 in the first round. Should be a good game. From what I’ve watched this year, Florida state seems a little less careful with the ball.

No doubt they have a good defense and that’s how they will have to win the game.  I think UM is experienced and runs a good offense and won’t go through the same scoring droughts that FSU will.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

No doubt they have a good defense and that’s how they will have to win the game.  I think UM is experienced and runs a good offense and won’t go through the same scoring droughts that FSU will.  

Michigan's near the top in both offensive and defensive efficiency, so they can win it on either end of the court.  Michigan has depth at center (grad student Davis was starting until he got injured, opening the door for talented freshman Dickinson), so they should be able to match FSU's height in the middle.  Michigan has good height on the wings (6'7"-6'9").  The challenge will be in the backcourt where FSU has 6'9" Scottie Barnes.  Michigan goes with Smith (5'11") and Eli Brooks (6'1").  What will Michigan do about that?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, facook said:

 

@Capella  Curious on input from Cappy on FSU and those of you who know Michigan.  I know Michigan is the small favorite, but without Livers is FSU really the pick here?  And regardless who wins this game, does Alabama run through them?  In a Survivor conundrum...go with the "sure thing" in Bama Sunday and then be forced to pick the Mich/FSU winner AGAINST Bama Tuesday, or try to pick the Mich/FSU game Sunday and save Alabama and hope they can beat whoever wins Mich/FSU.  

Right now I'm leaning toward taking Michigan to beat FSU, and if I'm fortunate enough to still be alive Tuesday play Alabama against Michigan.

I'm leaning Mich and under.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Marquette names Shaka Smart HC

:twothumbsup"

A heck of a signing.  DePaul really should have looked at him.  THey and Marquette are similar type schools in the same conference.  One wants to win and the other is satisfied with finishing near the bottom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. FSU doesn’t really have a true point and has a hard time entering the ball into the post. They are hilariously wild with the ball but have so much athleticism that they overwhelm teams at times and the mistakes don’t matter. They really turned the defense on these two tourney games - nowhere near this intense all season. The Colorado game was a freaking defensive clinic and if they can keep that going they’ll win the region. But if they play like they did against Georgia Tech two weeks ago they’ll get embarrassed. Who knows - it’s college basketball. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...