What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm tired of hearing about race (1 Viewer)

supermike80

Footballguy
I know this will go over on this forum like a fart in church, but I am really getting tired of the racial angle to everything lately.

I know there is work to be done, and I want equality in this country.  And as I have said many times, as have many others, I believe the issue is more with economics than race.

However I'm getting burned out.   Everything now is about race.  All day everyday.  And it's really starting to wear me down.  Or desensitize me, or generally make me not want to pay any more attention.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will NEVER go away.

Just like a wound where the scab is continuously picked...it will never heal.
The fact is that too many people make a living pointing out the differences between the races.
There are more who's existence relies on one race or another, being perceived as downtrodden.

Just as "man made" climate change....there is money to be made so it exists.
If it ever did go away....so would the money.

I'm tired of listening to talking heads discuss race. There too much of it. I'd much prefer listening to someone like Adam Yamaguchi do an in depth report at the ground level with people in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. Send someone into Miami's spring break and discuss the curfew situation with black tourists who have been chill and those who have overturned tables and disrupted the peace. Ask again why the n-word and b-word is so prevalent in a segment of the black culture. Adam has done some great in-depth reporting on migrants from Central America, climate change, militias, etc.

I would add to this Dr. Seuss, Mr. Potato Head, the Cancel Culture, the fringe gender debates, etc. Government shouldn't be about the "culture wars". The parties use this stuff to divide us while the 1% laugh their collective rear-ends off, and the entertainment news media has determined they get higher ratings with this nonsense so this is what we hear about 24/7. 

I know this will go over on this forum like a fart in church, but I am really getting tired of the racial angle to everything lately.

I know there is work to be done, and I want equality in this country.  And as I have said many times, as have many others, I believe the issue is more with economics than race.

However I'm getting burned out.   Everything now is about race.  All day everyday.  And it's really starting to wear me down.  Or desensitize me, or generally make me not want to pay any more attention.

Maybe don't start topics about race then? Racial and cancel culture topics are dominating this board (which is primarily older white males) lately. Start a thread about taxes or some other policy issue instead :thumbup:  

I work in a very diverse company that has always been for the most part very open and friendly for all.  Never really seen anything out of line other that the usual work stuff.

Now over the last year it is totally different.  Everybody kind of hangs with their own, stays in their own lane and hardly talks to anyone outside of their own race except if they have to.  Very little mingling at all, no discussion about anything.  Used to be a really friendly enviroment but now just kind of keep your head down, when people cross paths they don`t say anything about anything that could be misconstrued.  

Now sure why and it is very puzzling but the media seems to want to drive a wedge between the races with the way they cover and deliver certain stories and avoid others.   What do they want the end result to be?  That everyone hates each other?  If so they are doing a good job.

If you want to stop talking about race, it's time to seriously look at the issue and not just blame it all on one side. I completely understand the 'woke' crowd has gone over the top with calling everyone a racist and white supremacist, but Republicans also tend to be insanely ignorant when it comes to racial issues. Currently, Republicans feel that white people face more discrimination than black people and over 1/3 of Republicans believe black people face no discrimination at all. I mean, where do you even begin with people like this?

I work in a very diverse company that has always been for the most part very open and friendly for all.  Never really seen anything out of line other that the usual work stuff.

Now over the last year it is totally different.  Everybody kind of hangs with their own, stays in their own lane and hardly talks to anyone outside of their own race except if they have to.  Very little mingling at all, no discussion about anything.  Used to be a really friendly enviroment but now just kind of keep your head down, when people cross paths they don`t say anything about anything that could be misconstrued.  

Now sure why and it is very puzzling but the media seems to want to drive a wedge between the races with the way they cover and deliver certain stories and avoid others.   What do they want the end result to be?  That everyone hates each other?  If so they are doing a good job.
This is interesting, but seems to be more of a company culture problem more so than anything else.

I work at a super diverse company as well and I've had the exact opposite experience over the last year, which is pretty insane considering we've been fully remote the whole time. Inclusion groups have been created, we've been much more involved with helping out the local Atlanta community and in terms of impactful discussions between people of all races, they continue to happen more often and people are feeling more comfortable expressing themselves, without worrying about coming off as offensive.

This is interesting, but seems to be more of a company culture problem more so than anything else.

I work at a super diverse company as well and I've had the exact opposite experience over the last year, which is pretty insane considering we've been fully remote the whole time. Inclusion groups have been created, we've been much more involved with helping out the local Atlanta community and in terms of impactful discussions between people of all races, they continue to happen more often and people are feeling more comfortable expressing themselves, without worrying about coming off as offensive.
Same here.  :thumbup:

Total opposite at my work.  We also have very few Fox, Newsmax OAN watchers though.  

Is the forum for these discussions the inclusion groups or somewhere else?  Are the inclusion groups essentially affinity groups where people gather based on a common trait or something else.  thx

Out of curiosity @Summer Wheat, what was your leadership's response to the riots this summer? Did they kind of just shrug it off or actually acknowledge what was going on and allow for an open discussion between teams/employees? Because our leadership acknowledging racial injustice and allowing the company to be so open about talking about it is what was the driving force behind all of these positive developments happening.

Is the forum for these discussions the inclusion groups or somewhere else?  Are the inclusion groups essentially affinity groups where people gather based on a common trait or something else.  thx
For the most part, ideas are formed in the inclusion groups (which are completely optional, ~25% of the company is currently in the group) and then we have discussions about whether that's something we want to tie into the whole company. This one isn't specifically race related but for example, March is women's history month. To bring awareness to that, we've done various things such as highlighting women from our company on our social media channels and having an internal panel/fireside chat with a couple of women from the company who wanted to share their perspective and what barriers they have had to overcome to get to where they are today.

Out of curiosity @Summer Wheat, what was your leadership's response to the riots this summer? Did they kind of just shrug it off or actually acknowledge what was going on and allow for an open discussion between teams/employees? Because our leadership acknowledging racial injustice and allowing the company to be so open about talking about it is what was the driving force behind all of these positive developments happening.
   No they did not shrug it off as many people had to go into problem areas.  And they had meetings where people did talk but the overall vibe in general has been much more a "keep to yourself" type of feeling and that was not promoted at all.  

No they did not shrug it off as many people had to go into problem areas.  And they had meetings where people did talk but the overall vibe in general has been much more a "keep to yourself" type of feeling and that was not promoted at all.  
Not surprising, both sides are getting bit thirst far too easy these days.  No one really knows where the lines are drawn between acceptable Vs not acceptable. 

Not surprising, both sides are getting bit thirst far too easy these days.  No one really knows where the lines are drawn between acceptable Vs not acceptable. 
True, even the black employees who many were always very friendly and liked to have banter with everyone on many topics are for the most part just very quiet and stick to themselves..as does everybody else.  

True, even the black employees who many were always very friendly and liked to have banter with everyone on many topics are for the most part just very quiet and stick to themselves..as does everybody else.  
So because your company morale has gone down over the last year, you're just assuming it's because the media stirs up racial issues? That seems like a pretty far-fetched claim, no? Especially given that this past year was an incredibly tough one for a lot of people and they may not have their full energy invested into work.

Maybe don't start topics about race then? Racial and cancel culture topics are dominating this board (which is primarily older white males) lately. Start a thread about taxes or some other policy issue instead :thumbup:  
Yeah, "I am sick and tired of everybody talking about race...so I am going to start a thread about it."   :mellow:

So because your company morale has gone down over the last year, you're just assuming it's because the media stirs up racial issues? That seems like a pretty far-fetched claim, no? Especially given that this past year was an incredibly tough one for a lot of people and they may not have their full energy invested into work.
No, morale is not down at all.  People just stick to their own groups more and do their jobs.  Actually production per person is probably up because nobody is is shooting the crap as much as before.

For the most part, ideas are formed in the inclusion groups (which are completely optional, ~25% of the company is currently in the group) and then we have discussions about whether that's something we want to tie into the whole company. This one isn't specifically race related but for example, March is women's history month. To bring awareness to that, we've done various things such as highlighting women from our company on our social media channels and having an internal panel/fireside chat with a couple of women from the company who wanted to share their perspective and what barriers they have had to overcome to get to where they are today.
That makes sense and I think those things in a vacuum are positives.  

I asked because I'm not sure a conclusion can be drawn that inclusion groups, which my guess are very focused on the inherent basis of the groups (my experience is the LGBTQ group is mostly LGBTQ people), or highlighting certain people on social media...is evidence of improving relations and dialogue amongst the rank and file.  

You can have those two things...and to Summer Wheats point not actually create a more positive environment in the interactions amongst people not being highlighted on social media or in their specific groups and the people in those groups.

No, morale is not down at all.  People just stick to their own groups more and do their jobs.  Actually production per person is probably up because nobody is is shooting the crap as much as before.
Gotcha. I definitely get people are more hesitant to say things nowadays out of fear of backlash but it's a shame that mentality has seemed to take over your workplace in a negative way. 

You and me both. Everything is an ism or phobe these days. It's tiresome. 

That makes sense and I think those things in a vacuum are positives.  

I asked because I'm not sure a conclusion can be drawn that inclusion groups, which my guess are very focused on the inherent basis of the groups (my experience is the LGBTQ group is mostly LGBTQ people), or highlighting certain people on social media...is evidence of improving relations and dialogue amongst the rank and file.  

You can have those two things...and to Summer Wheats point not actually create a more positive environment in the interactions amongst people not being highlighted on social media or in their specific groups and the people in those groups.
I'm one of 5 or so straight, white males in the group of 75 so it definitely skews more towards women, POC, LGBTQ, etc. It's a very, very diverse group of people overall and covers just about every race/sex/gender.

If people look at these inclusion groups, see underrepresented communities getting recognition (not just racial groups for the people who are so stuck up with that), see the company giving back to the community more and aren't happy about it because they personally don't feel represented by it... well, that's kind of a you problem at that point. People have every opportunity to speak up, join the group and literally everything is optional so there's really zero excuse to be bothered by any of it.

I'm one of 5 or so straight, white males in the group of 75 so it definitely skews more towards women, POC, LGBTQ, etc. It's a very, very diverse group of people overall and covers just about every race/sex/gender.

If people look at these inclusion groups, see underrepresented communities getting recognition (not just racial groups for the people who are so stuck up with that), see the company giving back to the community more and aren't happy about it because they personally don't feel represented by it... well, that's kind of a you problem at that point. People have every opportunity to speak up, join the group and literally everything is optional so there's really zero excuse to be bothered by any of it.
Agree 100% with what you said and I think the 5 out of 75 is pretty much representative of what I would have thought.

I'm not sure if this is where Summer Wheat was going but I don't think people are unhappy with the fact that there are affinity groups or that the company is giving back to the community.  I think the point is that an organization can be doing those things and it does nothing to change the day to day interactions and potentially the degradations of those interactions based on all of the harmful noise in what we read and see (MSM + Social Media).

Let's face it, you have one group of people who are being told every day that their white colleagues are through fact of birth part of a supremacy and inherently racist culture/system that they are benefiting from and seeking to continue to the harm of POC.  You have the other group of people who see a narrative that their POC friends are being told every day that they should resent and fear their white colleagues.  Hard to imagine that doesn't filter into interactions...and I don't think positively. 

Agree 100% with what you said and I think the 5 out of 75 is pretty much representative of what I would have thought.

I'm not sure if this is where Summer Wheat was going but I don't think people are unhappy with the fact that there are affinity groups or that the company is giving back to the community.  I think the point is that an organization can be doing those things and it does nothing to change the day to day interactions and potentially the degradations of those interactions based on all of the harmful noise in what we read and see (MSM + Social Media).

Let's face it, you have one group of people who are being told every day that their white colleagues are through fact of birth part of a supremacy and inherently racist culture/system that they are benefiting from and seeking to continue to the harm of POC.  You have the other group of people who see a narrative that their POC friends are being told every day that they should resent and fear their white colleagues.  Hard to imagine that doesn't filter into interactions...and I don't think positively. 
IMO, the bolded part is 100% true and I think right there is part of the problem. If you said that comment to some white people, you know they would instantly shut down, get insanely defensive and take it as a massive insult when that's not what it's intended to be at all. Acknowledging that something like the Jim Crow laws or GI Bill hurt black people, benefited white people and that we're still seeing the effects of it today isn't an attack on white people who weren't even alive when those things happened. It's very important though that people are educated on these topics as acknowledging our past racist history just gives so much more context on why we see the inequalities we do today. We all know people out there who think racism ended after slavery. I believe people would show a lot more compassion, empathy and willingness to hear other perspectives on these issues if they had a better understanding of what got us here in the first place.

If you want to stop talking about race, it's time to seriously look at the issue and not just blame it all on one side. I completely understand the 'woke' crowd has gone over the top with calling everyone a racist and white supremacist, but Republicans also tend to be insanely ignorant when it comes to racial issues. Currently, Republicans feel that white people face more discrimination than black people and over 1/3 of Republicans believe black people face no discrimination at all. I mean, where do you even begin with people like this?
You began by being fair to all people.  You stop with thinking it is racist if someone points out all lives matter or offended if someone supports blue lives matter.  You stop turning every story into some narrative into some theme ranting against white supremacy.  It may not be realty that white people are discriminated against, but the media, television and the monopolies who control the internet, spend most their time spreading their wokist beliefs crapping all over the white man.  That is where you begin with people like this, being a bit understanding that they are sick of being portrayed as racist Neanderthals.  

I deal with all the auto makers and suppliers with diverse staffs.  I go to many meetings in Detroit.   Nobody ever talks about race, Nothing  has been any different..in fact people of all races and creeds have been actually kinder and nicer the last year.  Hopefully it stays that way.

If you're sick of talking about race and racism, just imagine how sick people who aren't white of living with structural racism. 
Give me a break.  :doh:

You might feel guilty about your skin color, but don't push that on us, okay?  I'd appreciate it.  The US has mostly made up for past transgressions.  This isn't the 1950's anymore.  When people make statements like yours it makes it sound you're just looking for a cause.

You might feel guilty about your skin color, but don't push that on us, okay?  I'd appreciate it.  The US has mostly made up for past transgressions.  This isn't the 1950's anymore.  When people make statements like yours it makes it sound you're just looking for a cause.
I am looking for a cause. Equality and justice. It doesn't exist yet. 

I think as others have suggested, I think it's a bit of a leap to think that media talking about race is making your company like this.    Covid could be a big piece of it.   

Did I miss another post  - did something specific happen at the company?  A complaint/lawsuit, management change, less mingling or group activities because of Covid?  

When did he ever say he felt guilty about his skin color? I completely agree with he said and I feel zero guilt about being white.

When did he ever say he felt guilty about his skin color? I completely agree with he said and I feel zero guilt about being white.
It's implied when someone makes absurd statements like that regarding race.  Like I said, the US has made up for past transgressions regarding race, but it's NEVER enough.  Let me give you some advice:  It won't EVER be enough because it's not about equality or justice, it's about power and money and revenge. 

At some point you have to take advantage of what the US has done for minorities and stop using race as a crutch.  At some point you have to put in some work to get ahead and stop complaining that life isn't fair and that the white, racist boogeyman is out to get you.

That's a problem with the person on the receiving end of the message.    Instead of open dialogue and empathy it's 'don't push your agenda on me, man!' 

That's a problem with the person on the receiving end of the message.    Instead of open dialogue and empathy it's 'don't push your agenda on me, man!' 
So you just assume people don't have empathy because they don't bend the knee at the causes you support?  That's the problem with your message.

Users who are viewing this thread