What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

Not an interesting fact, but in case anyone didn't know, the drummer Terry Bozzio is an insane talent.  There's some YouTubes out there that are really cool.  

Here, Terry walks you through his foot pedals.  It takes two and a half minutes.  
Yup - cut his teeth with Frank Zappa. You gotta be really good to hang with him.

21. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring

Written by the band's guitarist George Kooymans, who got the inspiration from a book by Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Identity.

This song was also used as the theme to the Twilight Zone pinball machine. This was part of Bally Midway's series of "Superpin" arcade pinball games that were based on TV shows - other pinball games in the series were based on Star Trek and The Addams Family
when I hear this song, the only only thing I can think of is a 3rd rate dancer bar off of Airway Road ...just past Woodman Drive in Dayton, OH.  My best bud and I frequented there because the girls seemed to take a liking to us.  The girls loved this song and "Twilight Zone" was played by everyone one of them ...every set.  So we got to hear it around 4-5 times an hour.  

I'm all alone, so are we all
We're all clones
If there's a blank stare on my face
It's only there trying to fool the public
But when it comes down to fooling you
Now, Dolly, that's quite a different subject

But don't let my flat expression
Give you the wrong impression
Really I'm sad, oh I'm sadder than sad
I'm sheepish and hurting so baaaad
I'm kinda gone but appear to be glad

Now they're some weird things known to man
But there ain't too much odder than
The tears of a clone when I'm out on my own, uh
Oh yeah, baby

23. Destination Unknown/Words - Missing Persons

Despite the fact that I can't find any interesting facts to accompany this entry, these songs embody the best of the early-mid 80's sound. Destination Unknown is one of the more unique sounding songs of the 80's.

Their drummer played with Zappa. That's pretty interesting to me. 
Yup - mentioned above.

Guitarist/co-founder Warren Cuccurullo also played with Zappa alongside Terry. After MP in 1986, Cuccurullo replaced Andy Taylor in Duran Duran and was with them for 15 years.

Member of one of the best instrumental groups ever, too, with Tony Levin & Billy Idol's axman, Steve Stevens. This album is in my regular rotation.
Great album. Probably would have sold better if a couple of them didn't look like axe murderers.
Never realized that Steve Stevens was that short - always seemed taller in the Billy Idol videos. Or that Bozzio joined the Manson family in the late 1990s.

20. Vacation - The Go-Go's

A previous version of Vacation written solely by Kathy Valentine was an EP and later 45 by the earlier band she was in, The Textones. (I think it sounds a lot like Ready Steady Go)

The video was shot in one very long day on a $50,000 budget, large for the time, and the band was coming off a debut album that had reached no. 1. "We still saw videos as an annoying waste of time," recalls Jane Wiedlin. "After seven or eight hours we sent out someone to sneak in booze." Kathy Valentine says they drank "lots of champagne. Lots." Wiedlin says the effects are evident during the closeups of the women at the end: "... if you look at our eyes, we're all so drunk. We didn't even try to make it look like we were really waterskiing."

"Go-Go's always made fun of everything. So of course, we were making fun of the whole thing all along. And we were very resistant to following orders, or to acting, because we weren't actors. But yeah, even though we had become America's sweethearts, we were still basically punk rockers at heart.""

19. Southern Cross/Wasted on the Way - Crosby, Stills, & Nash

A) This was written by Stephen Stills with help from Richard Curtis and Michael Curtis. In the CSN Boxed Set, Stills explained: "The Curtis Brothers brought a wonderful song called 'Seven League Boots,' but it drifted around too much. I rewrote a new set of words and added a different chorus, a story about a long boat trip I took after my divorce. It's about using the power of the universe to heal your wounds. Once again, I was given somebody's gem and cut and polished it."
B)  It was their first top 10 hit in five years, and peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts in August 1982

19. Southern Cross/Wasted on the Way - Crosby, Stills, & Nash

A) This was written by Stephen Stills with help from Richard Curtis and Michael Curtis. In the CSN Boxed Set, Stills explained: "The Curtis Brothers brought a wonderful song called 'Seven League Boots,' but it drifted around too much. I rewrote a new set of words and added a different chorus, a story about a long boat trip I took after my divorce. It's about using the power of the universe to heal your wounds. Once again, I was given somebody's gem and cut and polished it."
B)  It was their first top 10 hit in five years, and peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts in August 1982

Nice comeback by them after a long hiatus. Probably the biggest shock about these songs is that Steve Lukather didn't play on them. Seems like every other big-time sessionist did on the Daylight Again album.

20. Vacation - The Go-Go's

A previous version of Vacation written solely by Kathy Valentine was an EP and later 45 by the earlier band she was in, The Textones. (I think it sounds a lot like Ready Steady Go)

The video was shot in one very long day on a $50,000 budget, large for the time, and the band was coming off a debut album that had reached no. 1. "We still saw videos as an annoying waste of time," recalls Jane Wiedlin. "After seven or eight hours we sent out someone to sneak in booze." Kathy Valentine says they drank "lots of champagne. Lots." Wiedlin says the effects are evident during the closeups of the women at the end: "... if you look at our eyes, we're all so drunk. We didn't even try to make it look like we were really waterskiing."

"Go-Go's always made fun of everything. So of course, we were making fun of the whole thing all along. And we were very resistant to following orders, or to acting, because we weren't actors. But yeah, even though we had become America's sweethearts, we were still basically punk rockers at heart.""

I'm probably one of the few people that has the hots mostly for drummer Gina Schock (also the best musician of the bunch).

I'm probably one of the few people that has the hots mostly for drummer Gina Schock (also the best musician of the bunch).
She is cute and is a good drummer. I guess I'm on team Jane.
Their was a reality TV show with the guy who played Peter Brady from the Brady Bunch.  I forgot if it was the Bangles or the Go-Gos but one of the members was on that show and had turned into a dominetrix.  Just looked it up and it was Jane Wiedlin  

18. Everybody Wants You - Billy Squier

The song features three guitars and a bass playing a "hard-rocking and funky" riff, and a "sleekly new wave-oriented production". It topped the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks charts for six weeks, from August 28 to October 8, 1982. It was also on the pop charts, debuting on the Billboard Top 40 on November 27, 1982 and peaking at number 32. It was Squier's third Top-40 song, following "The Stroke" (number 17) and "In the Dark" (number 35).

18. Everybody Wants You - Billy Squier

The song features three guitars and a bass playing a "hard-rocking and funky" riff, and a "sleekly new wave-oriented production". It topped the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks charts for six weeks, from August 28 to October 8, 1982. It was also on the pop charts, debuting on the Billboard Top 40 on November 27, 1982 and peaking at number 32. It was Squier's third Top-40 song, following "The Stroke" (number 17) and "In the Dark" (number 35).

Always liked the line “you take your pension in loneliness and alcohol.”

Yup - mentioned above.

Guitarist/co-founder Warren Cuccurullo also played with Zappa alongside Terry. After MP in 1986, Cuccurullo replaced Andy Taylor in Duran Duran and was with them for 15 years.
Patrick O'Hearn (bass) also played in Zappa's band. On the flip side of Cuccurullo playing with Duran Duran, Terry Bosio played on Andy Taylor's solo album back in 86.

Terry Bosio is one of the best drummers of all time that most people don't think of when talking about best drummers of all time. A drummer's drummer. The stuff he does with electronics is almost beyond drumming actually.

For fun, it's worth checking out the video of their US festival gig. The sound quality isn't great, but Dale's outfit is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Patrick O'Hearn (bass) also played in Zappa's band. On the flip side of Cuccurullo playing with Duran Duran, Terry Bosio played on Andy Taylor's solo album back in 86.

Terry Bosio is one of the best drummers of all time that most people don't think of when talking about best drummers of all time. A drummer's drummer.

For fun, it's worth checking out the video of their US festival gig. The sound quality isn't great, but Dale's outfit is.
I was going to post that clip yesterday. They sounded like crap there, but Dale looked at her ((almost) see through best.

Really like Billy Squier, and some of his interviews are pretty awesome. In one he says "I can put on 'Revolver' or 'Led Zeppelin II' and then 'Tell the Truth' and there is no quality gap," ('Tell the Truth' being a Squier album.)  Guess he doesn't lack for confidence?

Really like Billy Squier, and some of his interviews are pretty awesome. In one he says "I can put on 'Revolver' or 'Led Zeppelin II' and then 'Tell the Truth' and there is no quality gap," ('Tell the Truth' being a Squier album.)  Guess he doesn't lack for confidence?

few who have heard 10,000 people cheer for them ever will. it is the opposite of combat, but the impact is similar.

I’ve seen a few clips of him as well, and it seems to this day he’s pretty bitter about the impact of the “Rock Me Tonite” video.

17. Hungry Like The Wolf/Save A Prayer - Duran Duran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL-lCzEXgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uxc9eFcZyM

A) In 1982, new synthesizers and sequencers were coming on the market that changed the landscape of Pop music, as groups like The Eurythmics and The Human League coaxed new sounds out of them. Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor was able to take advantage of the technology on this song, creating the distinctive track by linking a Roland 808 drum machine with a sequencer and a Roland Jupiter 8 keyboard. In an interview with Blender magazine, guitarist Taylor explained that the track "came from fiddling with the new technology that was starting to come in."

Russell Mulcahy, who was Duran Duran's go-to director, did the video. If you were watching MTV in the early '80s, there's a good chance you would see his work - he even did the very first video the network aired: "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles.

The band's girlfriends contributed makeup that helped shape their look, and keyboard player Nick Rhodes' girlfriend appeared on this song, providing the laugh at the beginning and the moaning at the end, possibly the sounds of the wolf sating his hunger.

B) According to Le Bon, the song's chorus structure is based on Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind."

Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor fell into water used as an animal latrine during the filming of the video and ended up being hospitalized with dysentery. At 3 minutes, 40 seconds into the clip, you can see him perched on a branch looking a tad dazed, immediately before his unscheduled splash. Taylor recalled in his biography Wild Boy: "I suppose there's a lesson there somewhere: if you smoke dope and drink Jack Daniel's in the tropical heat, don't fall into a lagoon full of elephant's urine." (That sounds like a typical Wednesday night at @wikkidpissah house).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL-lCzEXgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uxc9eFcZyM

A) In 1982, new synthesizers and sequencers were coming on the market that changed the landscape of Pop music, as groups like The Eurythmics and The Human League coaxed new sounds out of them. Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor was able to take advantage of the technology on this song, creating the distinctive track by linking a Roland 808 drum machine with a sequencer and a Roland Jupiter 8 keyboard. In an interview with Blender magazine, guitarist Taylor explained that the track "came from fiddling with the new technology that was starting to come in."

Russell Mulcahy, who was Duran Duran's go-to director, did the video. If you were watching MTV in the early '80s, there's a good chance you would see his work - he even did the very first video the network aired: "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles.

The band's girlfriends contributed makeup that helped shape their look, and keyboard player Nick Rhodes' girlfriend appeared on this song, providing the laugh at the beginning and the moaning at the end, possibly the sounds of the wolf sating his hunger.

B) According to Le Bon, the song's chorus structure is based on Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind."

Duran Duran guitarist Andy Taylor fell into water used as an animal latrine during the filming of the video and ended up being hospitalized with dysentery. At 3 minutes, 40 seconds into the clip, you can see him perched on a branch looking a tad dazed, immediately before his unscheduled splash. Taylor recalled in his biography Wild Boy: "I suppose there's a lesson there somewhere: if you smoke dope and drink Jack Daniel's in the tropical heat, don't fall into a lagoon full of elephant's urine." (That sounds like a typical Wednesday night at @wikkidpissah house).
"Save A Prayer" IMO is the best/prettiest thing they ever did. Maybe John Taylor's next best bass work to "Rio". The imagery of the video is insane, notably that overhead shot of the Sigiriya rock temple in Sri Lanka at the 2:25 mark.

we haven't filled the lagoon since the pandemic  :kicksrock:

Yup - mentioned above.

Interesting career arc. Zappa to Missing Persons to Duran Duran. 

What's next....Barry Manilow?

Hey @FairWarning...

16. Little Guitars - Van Halen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umKShwSVQA

On this song, Eddie Van Halen played a custom-made, miniature Les Paul guitar that was created for him by Nashville designer Dave Petschulat.

The lyric finds David Lee Roth smooth-talking a señorita. Speaking with Creem in 1982, he told the story behind the song: "Edward was saying he'd just seen this TV show with a flamenco guy doing all these wonderful things with his fingers, and he says, 'I've figured out how to do it with one pick, watch this' and he faked it. And it sounded better than the original. And the song is titled this because it's played on a copy of a Les Paul three inches longer than your forearm to the tip of your finger so you could put the whole thing in your pocket if you wanted to. It makes a very distinctive sound – different from your traditional rock axe. I got the idea for the song from the acoustic part – it sounded Mexican to me so I wrote a song for a señorita."

I personally think this is a top three VH song - and maybe even THE best. But there are some heavy hitters in the 80's pantheon that must go before it. Still...great song.

I’ve seen a few clips of him as well, and it seems to this day he’s pretty bitter about the impact of the “Rock Me Tonite” video.
You have to know your crowd.  

I was a kid, but Billy Squier had the most Camaro-driving, jean jacket-wearing, super hetero crowd I could imagine.  Kids from vocational high schools? Big Billy Squier fans.  

Those kids were probably personally embarrassed watching that video.   :lmao:   Poor guy

Hey @FairWarning...

16. Little Guitars - Van Halen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umKShwSVQA

On this song, Eddie Van Halen played a custom-made, miniature Les Paul guitar that was created for him by Nashville designer Dave Petschulat.

The lyric finds David Lee Roth smooth-talking a señorita. Speaking with Creem in 1982, he told the story behind the song: "Edward was saying he'd just seen this TV show with a flamenco guy doing all these wonderful things with his fingers, and he says, 'I've figured out how to do it with one pick, watch this' and he faked it. And it sounded better than the original. And the song is titled this because it's played on a copy of a Les Paul three inches longer than your forearm to the tip of your finger so you could put the whole thing in your pocket if you wanted to. It makes a very distinctive sound – different from your traditional rock axe. I got the idea for the song from the acoustic part – it sounded Mexican to me so I wrote a song for a señorita."

I personally think this is a top three VH song - and maybe even THE best. But there are some heavy hitters in the 80's pantheon that must go before it. Still...great song.
Hang 'Em High is my favorite tune off Diver Down, although this is right up there with it on a largely uneven album.

That's describing it generously.

I can't tell you how much I loathe Oh Petty Woman and, more, Dancing In The Streets. The latter may be the WORST VH song.
Pretty Woman is OK as long as you have the Intruder intro. But they totally dipped way too deeply into the covers pool here. 

I was going to post that clip yesterday. They sounded like crap there, but Dale looked at her ((almost) see through best.
Technically, Dale herself was in Zappa's band as she did some vocals on Joe's Garage. Coincidentally Cuccurullo and O'Hearn played on that album too, but ex-husband Terry Bozzio didn't. Vinnie Colaiuta was the drummer on that one. At one point in the song "Catholic Girls" she name drops Warren and Vinnie (but not Terry) as Catholic Boys.

Hang 'Em High is my favorite tune off Diver Down, although this is right up there with it on a largely uneven album.
Definitely sounds like a lot of songs left over from various albums, very hodgepodge.  I had no idea that Where Have All the Good Times Gone was a Kinks song.  Pretty Woman was the first video banned by MTV.

You have to know your crowd.  

I was a kid, but Billy Squier had the most Camaro-driving, jean jacket-wearing, super hetero crowd I could imagine.  Kids from vocational high schools? Big Billy Squier fans.  

Those kids were probably personally embarrassed watching that video.   :lmao:   Poor guy
I do remember Squire playing a lot here around that time.  The video for Rock me Tonight just crushed his career.  It looked like a Richard Simmons workout video.

Users who are viewing this thread