What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

6. There's Only One Way To Rock/Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy/I'll Fall in Love Again - Sammy Hagar

One Way - Live Without A Net Van Hagar Version

Hagar has said that instead of "Standing Hampton" he was originally going to call the album "One Way To Rock". It was a British fan who told him of the term that came to be the title. In Cockney rhyming slang, a "Hampton" is a substitution for penis (Hampton Wick rhymes with "#####"). One that is "standing" would be a reference to an erection. This led to the cover art that shows a gentleman greeting a woman in various states of undress.

If you want, you could also include these songs in the list - Can't Get Loose/Heavy Metal. It was a good year for Hagar.

A) Songtracks: "There's Only One Way To Rock" is really the sort of track to which a studio cannot do justice. Five years later, justice was served. By that time, Hagar was lead vocalist with Van Halen, and in August 1986, the band made a live recording in New Haven, Connecticut (New Halen!), Live Without A Net. The show's opening was a veritable explosion with Hagar - no mean guitarist himself - sharing the lead with Edward Van Halen. This is indeed the only way to rock, and the only way to start a Van Halen concert. 

B) Provided Hagar with his only top 20 solo hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at number 13 in 1983.

C) "I'll Fall in Love Again" was used in the soundtrack to the film Vision Quest.
1982 was the year of Hagar IMO.  It's on my very shortlist of albums i could listen to over and over.  Hardest decision is if One Way to Rock was better than Heavy Metal.  

7. I Melt With You - Modern English

There are 1982 and 1989 versions of this song and they're subtly different

This sounds like an upbeat love song, but it's more apocalyptic than you might expect. With lyrics about "the world crashing all around your face" and "a pilgrimage to save this human's race," it really does take place with the world about to end, and the melting is quite literal. Modern English lead singer Robbie Grey, who wrote the song with his four bandmates, explained: "I don't think many people realized it was about a couple making love as the bomb dropped. As they made love, they become one and melt together."

According to Robbie Grey, he wrote the lyrics stream-of-consciousness style in just minutes while he was sitting on the floor of a London flat in 1982. So even he isn't sure what some of it means. Said Grey: "I like that line, 'Trapped in a state of imaginary grace.' Who knows what I was on at that point."

Another song from 82 that is timeless for me.  Nothing complicated about it.   It’s just a good song with a good melody 

wikkidpissah said:
indeed, but they were punks so Pinhead (my guys) didnt mind all that much. one of my guys - who still owes me at least 10,000 cigarettes - is in Son Volt, so currently more current?
Sad to hear. I have always been a big Robbie Robertson fan, so it sucks to hear that. Always liked The Clash and the acts that splintered off of them after they were done (Joe Strummer's various incarnations, BAD and Havana 3 a.m.) so sucks to hear they were ##### too.

Sad to hear. I have always been a big Robbie Robertson fan, so it sucks to hear that. Always liked The Clash and the acts that splintered off of them after they were done (Joe Strummer's various incarnations, BAD and Havana 3 a.m.) so sucks to hear they were ##### too.
i would almost say The Clash had to be that way, esp to a Yank goofpunk ensemble w a cheesy Farfisa element. The Band not only didnt but shouldnt have been that way. yeah, they were Dylan's band and Bearsville was kinda built to serve that, but Rundgren was producing in one studio, our producer was the Doors' old producer and we had guys like John Hall, JDSouther, Billy Payne working with Bonnie, but the Band guys were treating us like mice in the moulding. oh, well...

Andy Dufresne said:
8. I Ran (So Far Away)/Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)/Space Age Love Song (video from Career Opportunities) - A Flock of Seagulls

The song and the video represent everything 80's - down to the decision of "do I buy this on cassette or CD"? It was a time with its own concerns, but also a lot of forward thinking hope - and at least we didn't all hate each other. And it's amazing (or maybe not) that Jennifer Connelly has been around this long. Flock might get ridiculed for their look and simple hooks, but they're going to be found on just about every "best of 80's" type album there is.  I am not ashamed to be a fan of A Flock of Seagulls - AD

Space Age Love Song always seems to appear to be in my Youtube playlist on the right of my screen.  And I always have to watch it.  I think I was 18 when that movie came out, and I don't think I've ever loved a woman in a movie role more than Connelly in that roller skating scene.

5. Shock the Monkey - Peter Gabriel

Gabriel himself has described "Shock the Monkey" as "a love song" that examines how jealousy can release one's basic instincts; the monkey is not a literal monkey, but a metaphor for one's feelings of jealousy.

Audiences at the first WOMAD festival got a preview of "Shock The Monkey" in July 1982 when Gabriel played it in his set along with other tracks from the Security album, which was released a few months later. WOMAD (World Of Music, Arts And Dance) has become a vibrant cultural exchange for those looking to broaden their horizons, but that first festival was a financial calamity, losing so much money that Gabriel, who helped organize it, had to stage a Genesis reunion concert to pay off creditors.

As a kid, I really dug the weirdness of the video. And this is just one of the most unique sounding songs ever. I really like Peter Gabriel and still listen to this song a lot. This is the one that I had at #20 until I listened to it again at that spot and realized how much I immediately started grooving to the sound. I had to bump it up. It's awesome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
4. You Got Lucky - Tom Petty

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were one of the few established American rock bands to embrace the concept of music videos, and MTV loved them for it. The "You Got Lucky" video was pioneering because the song didn't start until over a minute into the clip. Inspired by the Mad Max films, we see a desolate, futuristic landscape where Petty discovers and old boom box which plays the song. The band wrote the treatment themselves, and Jim Lenahan directed. And hey, who doesn't like post apocalyptic stuff? - AD

Musically, this is one of the more distinctive Tom Petty songs, which helped it endure as a Classic Rock favorite. In a Songfacts interview with Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell, he said: "'You Got Lucky' was written to a drum loop. I had made a drum loop in my studio and put the music together. We went into the studio and actually recreated another drum loop. The drummer would go out and play, then we'd cut the tape and tape the loop together. We ran it around the room over some mic stands and through the tape heads, and then printed that for 3 or 4 minutes and then recorded the song over that drum loop."

3. Jack & Diane/Hurts So Good/Hand to Hold On To - John Mellencamp

A) Jack and Diane were a interracial couple in the first version of this song, inspired by the blended couples Mellencamp saw during his live performances (Jack was black, Diane was white). He took the race part out of it and made Jack a football star after an executive from his record company heard what he was working on and asked him to do so in an effort to make the song more relatable and therefore boost its hit potential. With race removed from the equation, a broader swath of Mellencamp's audience identified with the song, especially in the Midwest. He says that lots of folks have told him that the characters are just like them.

Up until the big drum break, a drum machine was used on this song, but drummer Kenny Aronoff gave it a human touch not just for the break, but also the section that immediately follows. 

The song has a very nostalgic feel, but paints a picture of a couple whose best years will soon be behind them. In a 1982 interview with The LA Herald Examiner, Mellencamp explained: "Most people don't ever reach their goals, but that's cool, too. Failure's a part of what you're all about anyway. Coming to terms with failed expectations is what counts. I try to write about the most insignificant things, really. I mean, someone who picks up a copy of Newsweek, then sits down and writes a song about the troubles in South America - who cares? What's that song telling us that we don't already know? Write about something that matters to people, man."

B) Mellencamp claims he wrote this song as "a goof." In a 1982 interview with The L.A. Herald Examiner, he explained: "My friend George said, why didn't I write a song with the title 'Hurt So Good'? We thought of it as like a Shel Silverstein thing. I wrote it in three minutes, scrawled the first line in soap on the glass door in the shower. It was really just a joke. I think all good things probably started as jokes. Wasn't God having a laugh when he made this whole place?"

"When I first started playing in rock bands, I didn't realize how crude and mean other fellas could be. How crude they were with women and how crude women were. That led me to write a song called 'Hurts So Good' because I was playing in these bars and I just could not believe the lows people would go to with each other. The thing that surprised me is that it fit my personality perfectly. I fit right in with all that."

More than once, I used the live version to open my radio shift at the station.  It began low and slow then built up.  Perfect song to start a radio show.  I recall one of the other jocks was finishing up putting away albums and I put this one to begin my show.  He stopped and turned and said:

'Oh, that's a great tune to open with.'

I noticed that he used it to open his shift about a week later which made me smile.  Love Peter Gabriel.  

4. You Got Lucky - Tom Petty

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were one of the few established American rock bands to embrace the concept of music videos, and MTV loved them for it. The "You Got Lucky" video was pioneering because the song didn't start until over a minute into the clip. Inspired by the Mad Max films, we see a desolate, futuristic landscape where Petty discovers and old boom box which plays the song. The band wrote the treatment themselves, and Jim Lenahan directed. And hey, who doesn't like post apocalyptic stuff? - AD

Musically, this is one of the more distinctive Tom Petty songs, which helped it endure as a Classic Rock favorite. In a Songfacts interview with Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell, he said: "'You Got Lucky' was written to a drum loop. I had made a drum loop in my studio and put the music together. We went into the studio and actually recreated another drum loop. The drummer would go out and play, then we'd cut the tape and tape the loop together. We ran it around the room over some mic stands and through the tape heads, and then printed that for 3 or 4 minutes and then recorded the song over that drum loop."
I know it's not much, but for some reason this is one of my favorite videos ever.  And definitely my favorite Petty tune.

2. Africa/Rosanna - Toto

A) Toto keyboard player David Paich wrote the song, and explained in the liner notes of Toto's Best Ballads compilation: "At the beginning of the '80s I watched a late night documentary on TV about all the terrible death and suffering of the people in Africa. It both moved and appalled me and the pictures just wouldn't leave my head. I tried to imagine how I'd feel about if I was there and what I'd do." 

With introspective lyrics like, "I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become," we (Songfacts) wondered if this song involved a bit of personal reflection. Turned out, it did. In our interview with David Paich, he explained: "There's a little metaphor involved here, because I was at the age where I was so immersed in my work, 24/7, that at times I felt like I was becoming just a victim of my work. There was a little bit of autobiographical information in there: being consumed by my work, not having time to go out and pursue getting married and raising a family and doing all the things that other people do that were my age at the time."

This is probably Toto's most famous song, but their guitarist Steve Lukather would like you to know that there is much more to the band: Toto were top studio musicians before forming the group, and known as some of the best in the business. Lukather told Rock's Backpages: "A lot of people categorize us as 'that 'Africa' or 'Rosanna' band,' and I hate that s--t. We have a lot more substance than that. Don't get me wrong - those songs have been great to us, but you really don't understand the depth of the band if that's all you know.

We could be the most misunderstood band in rock history. We consist of some of the most recorded musicians in the business (You don't say! - AD) . And yet we take hits for that. [laughs] Ashlee Simpson and all these phony-baloney singers sell millions of records, but everybody knows that's bogus. Some folks go on the road, and they might as well be miming. My son toured with Lindsay Lohan four years ago. The whole band was playing live, she was lipsynching. She couldn't sing a lick. Some poor guy had to Pro Tools that every night."

B) In a Songfacts interview with Paich, he explained: "'Rosanna' was about a high school love, one of my first loves, but I just tagged another Rosanna's name on there because she was going at the time with Steve Porcaro, my best friend. He had just met her and was looking to title a song with her name, and it just fit perfectly for that song right there. So it's got her name on it, but it's really about another high school sweetheart, which is how songs happen sometimes."

The girl who played Rosanna in the video will look familiar to fans of the movie Dirty Dancing: It's Cynthia Rhodes, who played Penny Johnson in the movie. Patrick Swayze is also in the video, but much less visible - that's him wearing the red jacket among Rosanna's suitors. The West Side Story-style dance fighting was used in the clip almost a year before Michael Jackson did it in his video for "Beat It." Even more trivia: Rhodes was married to Richard Marx from 1989-2014.

Toto IV won a Grammy for Album of the Year, but voters didn't nominate "Africa" for either Record of the Year or Song of the Year; they preferred "Rosanna," which was nominated in both categories and won for Record of the Year.

1. Don't Change/The One Thing- INXS

There was never any question in my mind what would end up at #1. They would hold the spot on the strength of Don't Change alone. But add in The One Thing and it's a slam dunk.

A) This was the last song INXS played live. They used it to close their set at Perth Arena on November 11, 2012, wrapping up a tour as opening act for Matchbox Twenty, whose lead singer Rob Thomas joined them on vocals during the performance. The crowd was shocked when INXS announced from the stage that it would be their last show; they confirmed the news in a statement two days later.

The music video, directed by Scott Hicks, was originally planned to be filmed on an airport runway, in South Australia, but was cancelled due to a bad weather and filming took place in a nearby airport hangar. 

Springsteen did a terrific cover live in Australia.

B) Written by guitarist Andy Farriss and lead singer Michael Hutchence, this song is about having a girl who is beautiful and confident, with lots of men after her. It was the first song by this Australian group to make an impact in the United States, setting the groundwork for their international success in the mid-1980s.

The song hit the charts as the band embarked on their first tour of America, first as the opener for Adam and the Ants, then as the support act for The Go-Go's (there was lots of intermingling on this tour - the bands' managers had to stay in contact to determine the whereabouts of their members).

The chorus is just eight words:

It's the one thing
You are my thing

According to the song's co-writer, Andrew Farriss, that was all it needed. Speaking of Michael Hutchence as a songwriter, he told Songfacts: "He was very, very comfortable to sing those kinds of phrases, and he had the conviction to sing a phrase like that and repeat it, no problem. It wasn't because he was short of dialogue or creativity or because he couldn't think of extra words. In fact, one of the things I always noted with Michael as a lyricist was when he felt he had nothing more to say, he wouldn't say anything more than that, and I always appreciated that. He wouldn't try to justify his lyric, and I think there's a strength in that. Once he had a phrase or something that he felt was poignant or important to say, that was enough."

5. Shock the Monkey - Peter Gabriel

Gabriel himself has described "Shock the Monkey" as "a love song" that examines how jealousy can release one's basic instincts; the monkey is not a literal monkey, but a metaphor for one's feelings of jealousy.

Audiences at the first WOMAD festival got a preview of "Shock The Monkey" in July 1982 when Gabriel played it in his set along with other tracks from the Security album, which was released a few months later. WOMAD (World Of Music, Arts And Dance) has become a vibrant cultural exchange for those looking to broaden their horizons, but that first festival was a financial calamity, losing so much money that Gabriel, who helped organize it, had to stage a Genesis reunion concert to pay off creditors.

As a kid, I really dug the weirdness of the video. And this is just one of the most unique sounding songs ever. I really like Peter Gabriel and still listen to this song a lot. This is the one that I had at #20 until I listened to it again at that spot and realized how much I immediately started grooving to the sound. I had to bump it up. It's awesome. 
the turning point in my favorite career in music. i saw Genesis' first American concert @ Brandeis U in '71 and was transfixed by the guy with the inverted mohawk wearing a daisyhead and pushing an imaginary lawnmower. followed them closely til they crashed and burned with Lamb Lies Down - they always kicked off their tours in Boston and i had used my standing by then to get close enough to the stage to hear Gabriel yell at crew for all the Spinal Tap Stonehenges in the production - and listened to the proggy plinketyplinks of his solo albums til i got bored. fortunately, the reception to Biko gave him a world sense about his work and his bandmates helped him simplify his sound for the following tour. and PG4 (w Shock the Monkey0 and So were the payoff and he never looked back. Music, change, conscience, personal revelation - my favorite career.

Totally fitting that we (almost) end up with Steve Lukather not only ripping on Rosanna, but also singing lead vocals. :motherlode:

One could very easily make a case for "Don't Change" not only being among the best of 1982, but perhaps the decade. It's that good IMO.

Hope everyone had fun...I did!

Hope I didn't miss anything important... :unsure:
Awesome job, Andy. I have some 1982 leftovers that I personally liked, but I'll post on Monday to avoid stealing any thunder (and need time gather them up).

*lalala* All you had to do was wake up in the morning and snort less coke at the party and not pass out in my laaaaaap. RosANNa, RosANNa! *lalala*

Many people still believe to this day that Rosanna was about Rosanna Arquette, who was dating Steve Porcaro back then.

I thought between U2 and INXS, INXS would have the more successful career.  

They tried.
IIRC, they were pretty close in popularity through 1982 and maybe into 1983. But once MTV started playing the Sunday Bloody Sunday video from Red Rocks non-stop, it put U2 on a different trajectory. 1987's Kick brought INXS a bit closer to U2 in popularity, but they could never catch them. And then of course Hutchence just deteriorated in the 1990s before his tragic end.

I love INXS because they have so many good songs that sound so markedly different from each other. 

Not Enough Time and Beautiful Girl are fantastic songs that sound almost nothing like Don't Change. 

Rosanna must be one of the most deconstructed songs ever. There are videos that break down only the vocals, only the back-up vocals, the drumline, the piano, the lyrics--every component of the song taken apart and analyzed.

IIRC, they were pretty close in popularity through 1982 and maybe into 1983. But once MTV started playing the Sunday Bloody Sunday video from Red Rocks non-stop, it put U2 on a different trajectory. 1987's Kick brought INXS a bit closer to U2 in popularity, but they could never catch them. And then of course Hutchence just deteriorated in the 1990s before his tragic end.
I think part of the reason for that was they had 6 guys in the band and besides Hutchance few in the States knew who the other 5 guys were or who played what

IIRC U2's Live Aid performance -- one of the best of the day -- really raised their profile, at least in the US, and prepped everyone for what was to come with The Joshua Tree. INXS never had a pivotal moment like that. 

IIRC U2's Live Aid performance -- one of the best of the day -- really raised their profile, at least in the US, and prepped everyone for what was to come with The Joshua Tree. INXS never had a pivotal moment like that. 
Agreed - Bad in particular is probably what did it. A career making moment for the band - not to mention Bono’s mullet.

11. Caught Up in You - .38 Special

Group members Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes wrote this song with Jim Peterik, who was a member of the band Survivor. .38 Special's first hit was "Hold On Loosely," which Peterik wrote for Survivor - the bands were on the same label, and when the song didn't make Survivor's album, it went to .38 Special. This led to a collaboration between Carlisi, Barnes and Peterik, who wrote most of the hits for .38 Special.

Jim Peterik told Songfacts: "There was a lot of resentment that I was writing songs not only for Survivor, but I was writing them with .38 Special too. I'm talking about resentment from my own band, Survivor. What I tried to explain to them, which fell on deaf ears, was that the .38 songs would never have been right for Survivor. They came from another place in me and were very much a product of the synergy of Don Barnes, Jim Peterik and Jeff Carlisi. All they could see was competition on the charts from someone who wrote the songs for both bands. When .38 Special came in to write for the next record, I was kind of sneaking around. Survivor didn't even know .38 Special was in town. We had to find places to write songs. We couldn't go to the band house, and at my house, what if one of the guys stopped over? So we went to my mother's house and wrote in the basement. We were writing 'Caught Up In You' in this gloomy room in my mother's basement all dark and dank, and we're writing this hit song. I was feeling like the bad kid playing hooky or something."

Close,

It was  "Rockin Into the Night"  ["Hold on Loosely" would come later] which was written by Jim Peterik and Frankie Sullivan and was recorded for Survivors debut album. It became a late addition and title track to .38's third album and most likely saved their A&M recording contract. Donnie Van Zandt originally sang the song and it just wasn't working, so Don Barnes took a shot and hit pay dirt. Barnes who never wanted to sing, soon became the voice of the .38 Special who switched from the southern bluesy roots of their first 3 albums to a more popish radio friendly sound. 

For their fourth album Jim Peterik would collaborate with Barnes and Carlisi on "Hold on Loosley" "Fantasy Girl" with Carlisi and "Hittin and Runnin" with Barnes. These three songs were also sung by Don Barnes, solidifying him as the lead singer.  Peterik also has the sole credit on the title track "Wild Eyed Southern Boys" which shares the lead vocals of Barnes and DVZ

Jim Peterik would be back for a final run on the "Special Forces" album collaborating on. "Caught Up in You" "Chain Lightning" and "You Keep Runnin Away"  It was this string of top ten hits that pushed Frankie Sullivan and the members of Survivor over the edge and brought an unfortunate end to the writing trio of Peterik Barnes and Carlisi

.38 Special would go on to release two more albums " Tour de Force" and "Strength in Numbers"  before Barnes left the the band, mostly due to constant touring burnout.  Personally I love both these albums as much as anything they did before. 

Once Max Carl joined the band they were dead to me. Same as when Gary Richrath left REO 

Survivor  Rockin Into the Night

For those that like the "Caught Up in You" video need to watch  this one also. it's basically part 2 'You Keep Runnin"

If you like .38 Special and the Jacksonville scene I highly recommend the Larry Steele book. 

Users who are viewing this thread