Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. INXS

54 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Toni Basil was so "dirty teacher-y" ...

I was convinced she would "those" things to you 

if memory serves, she was a fairly legendary tailchaser on the LA scene in the 60s. not a groupie, but dug on spending wikkid months with all the bright boys she could.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, zamboni said:

You could pick anything from the album and be 100% spot on here.

The entire album belongs in the top 20.   One of the greatest metal albums by the greatest metal band.   Too hard for most in here though.  This is more of a yacht rock crowd.   

30 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

The entire album belongs in the top 20.   One of the greatest metal albums by the greatest metal band.   Too hard for most in here though.  This is more of a yacht rock crowd.   

I love Dickenson's voice in small doses. But I can't listen to him for hours on end. Still a great band. When I think of metal it's these guys, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath - then everyone else.

34 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Men Without Hats should have stayed a one-hit wonder - their top 20 hit Pop Goes The World 5 years later made "The Safety Dance"  seem like "Gimme Shelter" in comparison.

My favorite tune of theirs (and here the word "favorite" is being used very loosely) is Antarctica. Still poppy, but with more edge than those two bigger hits.

11 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

My favorite tune of theirs (and here the word "favorite" is being used very loosely) is Antarctica. Still poppy, but with more edge than those two bigger hits.

I bless the ice down in Antarctica.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

61. What About Me - Moving Pictures - September

Reaching number 29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, the song stayed in the US charts for such a long time that it managed to make Billboard's top 100 Pop Singles of 1983, at number 88, a rare feat for a single with a low peak position. The song also re-charted in 1989, peaking at number 46.

Band member Garry Frost wrote the song when he was working with autistic children in his day job. He had gone out to get lunch at his local shop in the Sydney suburb of Asquith and saw a small boy not being noticed waiting at the counter. He was sufficiently moved by the vision to write the song. The song was rarely played live by the band; when it was, it was played in a modern country style. It would never have been recorded but their debut album's producer Charles Fisher heard Frost and Smith tinkering with the tune on the studio piano during a break in recording. Fisher suggested that Moving Pictures record the song.

• Like 1

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 65: The Monroes, 64: Iron Maiden, 63: Toni Basil, 62: Men Without Hats, 61: Moving Pictures
3 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Mickey

Per Mickey - I don't know where I was when this song came out but I had never heard it till a few years later in college.

Reaction when someone played it.

Not a clue if the origins traced back to this song but back in the day taking a 'safety break' meant going out to smoke a doobie.  

31 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

61. What About Me - Moving Pictures - September

Reaching number 29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, the song stayed in the US charts for such a long time that it managed to make Billboard's top 100 Pop Singles of 1983, at number 88, a rare feat for a single with a low peak position. The song also re-charted in 1989, peaking at number 46.

Band member Garry Frost wrote the song when he was working with autistic children in his day job. He had gone out to get lunch at his local shop in the Sydney suburb of Asquith and saw a small boy not being noticed waiting at the counter. He was sufficiently moved by the vision to write the song. The song was rarely played live by the band; when it was, it was played in a modern country style. It would never have been recorded but their debut album's producer Charles Fisher heard Frost and Smith tinkering with the tune on the studio piano during a break in recording. Fisher suggested that Moving Pictures record the song.

Band name does not check out as Rush fans. :openscanofworms:

Edited by zamboni

4 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Try me.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FairWarning said:
5 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Try me.  

Not metal enough?

5 hours ago, Gr00vus said:

I love Dickenson's voice in small doses. But I can't listen to him for hours on end. Still a great band. When I think of metal it's these guys, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath - then everyone else.

Metallica is right there with Maiden at the top for me.   

6 hours ago, DocHolliday said:
11 hours ago, zamboni said:

You could pick anything from the album and be 100% spot on here.

Proud owner of metal and yacht.

#elmerjfuddmillionaire

• Like 1

60. Back on the Chain Gang - The Pretenders - September

This is a tribute to James Honeyman-Scott, the Pretenders guitarist who died of a drug overdose in 1982 at age 26. Scott's death was followed by bass player Pete Farndon's 10 months later. Farndon had been kicked out of the band because of his drug problems and died of an overdose.

The "picture of you" Chrissie Hynde sings about is a picture she found in her wallet of Ray Davies, leader of the band The Kinks. Hynde and Davies were a couple and had a daughter together. This song started off about him, but the meaning changed when Honeyman-Scott died.

• Like 4

59. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant - May

Pretty unfair that Billy Squier wrecks an entire career with one ridiculous dance move but Adam Ant makes an entire career off ridiculous dance moves! - AD :lol:

There are two different studio versions of the song. The UK 7" single version is notably different from the re-recorded version which appears on Friend or Foe. The single version has a different, more reverberating drum track. The Friend or Foe version, instead of Hughes on drums, features Bogdan Wiczling, drummer on the rest of the album.

Adam wrote this song when dealing with an everlasting intrusion by the press. They were always asking about his personal life, which was great fodder for the tabloids. Adam Ant was a very intriguing character with a colorful past, and while he sought out attention for his act, he preferred to keep his personal life private.

By the '80s, his only vice was sex - no drugs, alcohol or even cigarettes for Adam Ant. This led to predictable questions from the press wondering if he didn't drink or smoke, then what exactly did he do? It seemed hard to believe that such an outrageous persona belonged to a teetotaler, but it was true. Reporters were often shocked to discover that Ant was very measured and reasonable in interviews - nothing like the warpaint wearing wildman who showed up on stage.

• Like 3

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 60: The Pretenders, 59: Adam Ant

Goody Two Shoes is great. I much prefer the single version with the more pounding drum beat (featured in the video). I remember first getting this song on mp3 like 20 years ago when I was getting my collection together and wondered why the song wasn’t as good now. Eventually I realized it was because it was the album version with the more subdued drums. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Goody Two Shoes is great. I much prefer the single version with the more pounding drum beat (featured in the video). I remember first getting this song on mp3 like 20 years ago when I was getting my collection together and wondered why the song wasn’t as good now. Eventually I realized it was because it was the album version with the more subdued drums. 

Probably the thing that most ties Adam and his former Ants in Bow Wow Wow together is the drum beats.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 60: The Pretenders, 59: Adam Ant, 58: Marvin Gaye

58. Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye

"Sexual Healing" won several music industry awards. At the 1983 Grammy Awards, the song won Gaye two Grammys, including Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Instrumental Performance.

It reached number one on Billboard's Hot R&B Singles chart, staying at the top spot for ten weeks. The success was similar on the Hot 100 where it peaked at number three. This peak at number three made Gaye the second artist in the history of the Hot 100 chart (after Aretha Franklin) to have a hit song peak at each position from one to ten on the chart. 

It is listed at number 233 on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Take that with a grain of salt though, since Rolling Stone sucks.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Here's a band & songs you're not going to find on many/any best of lists but they're a couple of my favorites.

57. New Church/Open Your Eyes - The Lords Of The New Church

The Lords of the New Church had a pedigree no punk band could match. Lead singer Stiv Bators had spearheaded the Dead Boys, one of America's preeminent young, loud and snotty outfits, while guitarist Brian James was the guitarist for the Damned, who, along with the Pistols and the Clash, were in the first wave and first rank of Britain's punk groups.

Described by New Noise Magazine as a "seedy concoction of spidery guitars, sleazy bass lines, jungle drums and gothic keyboards, the band presented a stylized tribal identity around their appearance and their music that fans embraced: the writer Dave Thompson asserts this represented "the first time since the Sex Pistols' Bromley Contingent fanbase [that] a band had succeeded in grafting its own identity onto its audience without first paying obeisance to the gods of highstreet fashion. Their stage antics became notorious early in their career, with Bators stunts on one occasion reportedly resulting in his clinical death for several minutes.

• Like 3

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 60: The Pretenders, 59: Adam Ant, 58: Marvin Gaye, 57: Lords of the New Church
17 hours ago, zamboni said:

Proud owner of metal and yacht.

#elmerjfuddmillionaire

Same.  I listen to a wide variety of music though.   A normal day of music for me includes classic rock, country, Motown, disco, hair bands and hard rock.   My wife is not amused.  

Posted (edited)

56. Make A Move On Me/Heart Attack - Olivia Newton-John - January/August

A) Peaking at number five on the US Billboard Hot 100 that April it became her twelfth and final single to be certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

B) Heart Attack was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 1983. Also that year, Alvin and the Chipmunks covered the song for their TV series episode "Angelic Alvin" (with new lyrics created for the episode).

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 3

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 60: The Pretenders, 59: Adam Ant, 58: Marvin Gaye, 57: Lords of the New Church, 56: Olivia Newton-John
11 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

funny - i had just said to myself "it's gonna be either Lords of the New Church or Olivia Newton John here....

Great minds think alike...and ours do too.

You gotta admit, I'm criss crossing genres pretty well here.

• Like 1

Just now, Andy Dufresne said:

Great minds think alike...and ours do too.

You gotta admit, I'm criss crossing genres pretty well here.

you're respect for genre-identity is woke like coke

• Like 1

55. Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs - July

Written by the four members of the group and produced by Todd Rundgren, who also played marimba on the song.

Front man of the group Richard Butler had a specific audience in mind when he penned the lyrics to this song. He explained this in an interview with Creem in 1983: "It's basically addressed to people who are ####ed up about their sexuality, and says 'Don't worry about it.' It was originally written for gay people."

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan of The Turtles sang backup on this track, but you would never peg the "Happy Together" singers as the backing voices. Producer Todd Rundgren used them essentially as an instrument, creating a wash of vocals under the chorus and at the end of the song.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

54. Allentown/Pressure - Billy Joel - September/???

A) Billy Joel did not grow up in Allentown - he grew up in Levittown, on Long Island. In an interview with James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio, he compared Allentown with his hometown while he was growing up, noting the similarities. Joel stated that the original title was "Levittown," and the original lyrics seemed kind of bland, and he felt that they would possibly be considered boring to the listeners.

Some of the original lyrics included lines like, "Well we're living here in Levittown. And there's really not much going down. I don't see much when I look around. The grass is green, the trees are brown. And we're living here in Levittown." So, during the time of the upcoming studio sessions for The Nylon Curtain, Billy took a trip to Pennsylvania. It was here that he came up with the idea for new lyrics. At that time, he had Bethlehem in mind, but was worried people would suddenly get the impression that the song was religious (the birth of Christ was said to have happened was Bethlehem, Israel). It is worth noting that Bethlehem and Allentown are right next to each other. So, he started writing down some lyrics for what later became the song "Allentown."

Joel regarded the song as being "hopeful" towards the plight of the unemployed steel workers. Even though the lyrics tell a sad tale, the singer is saying "We're not moving out or giving up...We're going to try."

B) The video for this song was Joel's first concept video. It was directed by Russell Mulcahy, who also made the video for "Allentown." Joel wasn't a fan of music videos and had little interest in making them, so he let Mulcahy have his way with the clip. When Russell had him sink into foam and scream at the sky, Joel went along with it even though he had no idea what was going on.

In Night School, a show airing on MTV in 1982 that ran roughly a half-hour long, in which he answers questions posed by audience members, Billy Joel reveals that the pressure he was talking about in the song was something along the lines of writing pressure and pressure to provide.

When I was starting out and trying to get things going, the pressure was if you don't get things going, they're going to throw you out of this apartment. There was that kind of pressure. "I'm hungry," my stomach was going, "pressure, food." I think that's pretty intense pressure. The pressure I was writing about in this song wasn't necessarily music business pressure, it was writing pressure. ... At the time, I was saying, "Well, I gotta write some more stuff for the album"; I was about halfway through, and I said, "Well, what am I gonna do? I don't have any ideas, it's gone, it's dead, I have nothing, nothing, nothing. There's nothing." And then the woman who is my secretary came into the house at that point and said, "Wow, you look like you're under a lot of pressure. I bet you that'd be a good idea for a song." And I went, "Thank you!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 55. Psychedelic Furs, 54. Billy Joel

53. Heat of the Moment/Only Time Will Tell - Asia

A) Asia featured an all-star lineup: John Wetton from King Crimson, Steve Howe from Yes, Carl Palmer from Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and Geoff Downes from the Buggles and Yes.

There was a specific person John Wetton was singing about on this track: his girlfriend Jill, who would later become his wife. The couple divorced after 10 years of marriage.

John Wetton wasn't concerned about macho posturing when he wrote this song; he was trying to bare his soul in the manner of one of his songwriting idols: Joni Mitchell.

B) Asia keyboard player Geoff Downes and lead singer/bass player John Wetton wrote this song, which finds a man learning that the woman he loved never loved him in return, only using him for her own gain. He walks out on her, refusing to live a lie, and predicting that she will probably have a lonely future, but "only time will tell."

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 55. Psychedelic Furs, 54. Billy Joel, 53. Asia

55. Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs - July

Written by the four members of the group and produced by Todd Rundgren, who also played marimba on the song.

Front man of the group Richard Butler had a specific audience in mind when he penned the lyrics to this song. He explained this in an interview with Creem in 1983: "It's basically addressed to people who are ####ed up about their sexuality, and says 'Don't worry about it.' It was originally written for gay people."

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan of The Turtles sang backup on this track, but you would never peg the "Happy Together" singers as the backing voices. Producer Todd Rundgren used them essentially as an instrument, creating a wash of vocals under the chorus and at the end of the song.

From the great Valley Girl soundtrack, which I hope is represented further as we go on.

34 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

53. Heat of the Moment/Only Time Will Tell - Asia

A) Asia featured an all-star lineup: John Wetton from King Crimson, Steve Howe from Yes, Carl Palmer from Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and Geoff Downes from the Buggles and Yes.

There was a specific person John Wetton was singing about on this track: his girlfriend Jill, who would later become his wife. The couple divorced after 10 years of marriage.

John Wetton wasn't concerned about macho posturing when he wrote this song; he was trying to bare his soul in the manner of one of his songwriting idols: Joni Mitchell.

B) Asia keyboard player Geoff Downes and lead singer/bass player John Wetton wrote this song, which finds a man learning that the woman he loved never loved him in return, only using him for her own gain. He walks out on her, refusing to live a lie, and predicting that she will probably have a lonely future, but "only time will tell."

This album was the bee’s knees when it came out, but in hindsight should have been better given the collection of talent. Great nostalgia though with an all-time great album cover.

Sole Survivor” is probably my favorite tune here.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1

an incident arose from circumstance which just squoze a corner of microwave burrito which had been lodged in my esophagus since '97 into an epic spray of spew

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zamboni said:

From the great Valley Girl soundtrack, which I hope is represented further as we go on.

Well "Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime)" came in at about #101. 

And another would probably rate really high, but I think I considered it an '83 release. Otherwise I might have to cheat and make an "X.5" entry.

• Like 1

52. Private Investigations/Industrial Disease - Dire Straits - August/???

A) Knopfler said the song was sparked off by something he'd read about Philip Marlowe, adding, "You hear different interpretations of it, but to me it's deliberately movie."

Philip Marlowe was the private detective created by the American novelist Raymond Chandler.

B) The song focuses on the decline of the British manufacturing industry in the 1980s. The song focuses on strikes, depression and disfunction.

The reference to "brewers droop" as a medical condition is an in-joke, referring both to the effect of alcohol on libido and to the band of the same name that Mark Knopfler played in prior to Dire Straits.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 55. Psychedelic Furs, 54. Billy Joel, 53. Asia, 52. Dire Straits
2 hours ago, zamboni said:

One of my few regrets in life is having to work the day of our frat exchange with the Alpha Phi's, that wound up being the final dance scene near the end of the movie. :bag:   

Always cracks me up when my buddies JA and KP look right into the camera.

If anyone has a link to that scene, please send it to me.  I just can't find it on Ytube.

32 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

One of my few regrets in life is having to work the day of our frat exchange with the Alpha Phi's, that wound up being the final dance scene near the end of the movie. :bag:   

Always cracks me up when my buddies JA and KP look right into the camera.

If anyone has a link to that scene, please send it to me.  I just can't find it on Ytube.

You mean before this scene?

https://youtu.be/xZ_GOyfnTTs

51. Something's Going On - Frida - September

Something's Going On is the third solo album by Swedish singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad (Frida), one of the founding members of the Swedish pop group ABBA, and her first album recorded entirely in English. 

Co-produced by Hugh Padgham and Phil Collins. It included Collins' distinctive gated reverb drum sound.  Going through her divorce from fellow band member Benny Andersson, Frida had heard Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight", and then "listened to the album (Face Value) non-stop for eight months". As Collins himself put it in a TV interview: "Frida and I had something in common as far as our divorces were concerned. We were both the injured party." Polar Music approached Collins, asking if he would be interested in producing Frida's new solo album. He accepted the offer.

• Like 5

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - Next up: 55. Psychedelic Furs, 54. Billy Joel, 53. Asia, 52. Dire Straits, 51. Frida
On 4/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

Here's a band & songs you're not going to find on many/any best of lists but they're a couple of my favorites.

57. New Church/Open Your Eyes - The Lords Of The New Church

The Lords of the New Church had a pedigree no punk band could match. Lead singer Stiv Bators had spearheaded the Dead Boys, one of America's preeminent young, loud and snotty outfits, while guitarist Brian James was the guitarist for the Damned, who, along with the Pistols and the Clash, were in the first wave and first rank of Britain's punk groups.

Described by New Noise Magazine as a "seedy concoction of spidery guitars, sleazy bass lines, jungle drums and gothic keyboards, the band presented a stylized tribal identity around their appearance and their music that fans embraced: the writer Dave Thompson asserts this represented "the first time since the Sex Pistols' Bromley Contingent fanbase [that] a band had succeeded in grafting its own identity onto its audience without first paying obeisance to the gods of highstreet fashion. Their stage antics became notorious early in their career, with Bators stunts on one occasion reportedly resulting in his clinical death for several minutes.

When I first saw this post I thought it was about the Australian band "The Church". I hadn't heard of this group before.

I am way behind here. 

I like Pressure a lot, one of my favorite songs by Billy Joel, but Allentown cannot be topped. One of my all-times by any artist ever. 

I know Asia is the butt of jokes for some, and the prog crowd lost their #### over it cause it was a bunch of prog guys doing a pop rock record, but that first album is money.  Almost every song is terrific.  There were diminishing returns with everything they did after it, but that first album holds up really well. 

19 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

51. Something's Going On - Frida - September

Something's Going On is the third solo album by Swedish singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad (Frida), one of the founding members of the Swedish pop group ABBA, and her first album recorded entirely in English. 

Co-produced by Hugh Padgham and Phil Collins. It included Collins' distinctive gated reverb drum sound.  Going through her divorce from fellow band member Benny Andersson, Frida had heard Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight", and then "listened to the album (Face Value) non-stop for eight months". As Collins himself put it in a TV interview: "Frida and I had something in common as far as our divorces were concerned. We were both the injured party." Polar Music approached Collins, asking if he would be interested in producing Frida's new solo album. He accepted the offer.

Everything about this is totally awesome.  

Finding out that this song was by one of the ABBA ladies
When going through her breakup, it was a Phil Collins album that spoke to her :lol:
Her bedroom in this video. I don't think that's a bed, I think that's a pile of cocaine under a blanket

Edited by massraider

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I know Asia is the butt of jokes for some, and the prog crowd lost their #### over it cause it was a bunch of prog guys doing a pop rock record, but that first album is money.  Almost every song is terrific.  There were diminishing returns with everything they did after it, but that first album holds up really well. 

I thought the later tune “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” was decent, but man what an unnecessarily depressing video.

22 hours ago, zamboni said:

I thought the later tune “The Smile Has Left Your Eyes” was decent, but man what an unnecessarily depressing video.

Yeah, that is a nice tune. They did have some good songs later on as well (Holy War from their 2010 album is outstanding), but they never came close to the consistency of that first record. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

• Andy Dufresne changed the title to ***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. INXS