What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

38. Only The Lonely - The Motels - April

Martha Davis, "'Only the Lonely' was one of those songs that was sitting on my guitar waiting for me. It literally wrote itself. It's a song about empty success. It came about while the Motels were experiencing critical acclaim, traveling the world, riding in limos, and yet I was probably as sad as I had ever been. I was in a horrible relationship and had not yet recovered from my parents' death (I doubt one ever does). The contradiction of these two worlds was where "Only the Lonely" lived... bittersweet."

40. Hard to Say I'm Sorry/Love Me Tomorrow - Chicago - May/September

A) This song marked a resurgence for Chicago, who had been dropped from their longtime label, Columbia Records, and picked up by the Full Moon label, distributed by Warner Bros.

Steve Lukather (guitar) (AGAIN!!!), David Paich (synthesizer) and Steve Porcaro (synthesizer), all played on this track. These guys were top studio musicians as well as members of Toto. Bringing them in caused plenty of friction in the band, which didn't like the idea of other musicians playing their parts. But David Foster knew exactly what he wanted, and was willing to bring in the guys who could achieve it.

B) The videos for "Love Me Tomorrow" and "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" were shot on the same day.

If Lukather isn't the patron saint of these '80s song threads, I don't know who is.

39. Edge of Seventeen/Hold Me/Gypsy - Fleetwood Mack/Stevie Nicks - February/June/September

Gypsy brings back my fondest music video memory.

I hopped between NM & NYC a lot in the early 80s cuz my agent kept pounding my audition tape after i had "retired" and a bunch of exciting things were happening with the bands managed by the company i still technically owned.

anyway, there was one occasion where i had mis-timed closing things up in Albq to when my NY lodgings would be available so, rather than pay for 3 wks of Manhattan hotels, i took the offer of the guy in whose garage i had stored my stuff to sleep on his couch for the interim.

nice guy, sweet & funny gf, one of those fellas who herbed so much his head actually looked cloudy. he was a trekker type but also got down with just some righteous rotting to toob & ####, and i was sleeping in his rotting space. guy came home one day, right after i'd seen the Gypsy video for the 2nd time, and his Dan Cortese energy asked me what i was doin' maaan.

"watchin' Stevie Nicks spin" was my reply.

"AWESOME!! she spins great!"

so, he sparked some herb, his gf brought in chicherones & Superiors and we vidded vids til Gypsy came back on.

"whoa - lotta spins. let's count em, maaaan!" so we took turns on vid watch while the other two played fetch with their Shepherd or repaired kayaks or somesuch until we got the call (fortunately, Stevie doesnt spin in the first 20 seconds or so), the next several days were spent sussing out video characters who might actually be Stevie to wondering if any of the little girls in the vid represented Stevie's younger self to determining what % of a spin constituted a spin etc etc.

somewhere in the process i had suggested taping the video for detailed analysis but it was like i was breaking the SofaSpud VidKid code or sumn, so merrily i went along. we had a final count of both total vid spins (which i dont remember) and Stevie spins. 37 was our final count - a number you can ask me again on my deathbed and get a succinct reply.

i'd seen the Gypsy video
Don't know how he finagled it but the GM at our teenie tiny wind powered radio station up in the Colorado Mountains got the Princess and Mick to play acoustically at a Mexican pub in downtown Steamboat in the late 80s.  

I couldn't go but I heard it was amazing.  The whole town was buzzing.  I still can't believe it.

Don't know how he finagled it but the GM at our teenie tiny wind powered radio station up in the Colorado Mountains got the Princess and Mick to play acoustically at a Mexican pub in downtown Steamboat in the late 80s.  

I couldn't go but I heard it was amazing.  The whole town was buzzing.  I still can't believe it.
Fleetwood must like small rooms or sumn, cuz i've heard pop-up gig stories about him for as long as i've known who he was

Fleetwood must like small rooms or sumn, cuz i've heard pop-up gig stories about him for as long as i've known who he was
She and I think Lindsey lived in Colorado.  Landslide is about her stay in a cabin up in the mountains.

Found a blurb about an interview Mick did with our radio station back in 87.

Look at the timeline of Fleetwood in 1987.

One is not like the others.  

Promo sessions, big city gigs, and then a dinky wind powered radio station up in the Colorado Mountains.

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/timeline/1980-timeline.htm

10th June 1987

Mick Fleetwood is interviewed on KFMU Radio in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

38. Only The Lonely - The Motels - April

Martha Davis, "'Only the Lonely' was one of those songs that was sitting on my guitar waiting for me. It literally wrote itself. It's a song about empty success. It came about while the Motels were experiencing critical acclaim, traveling the world, riding in limos, and yet I was probably as sad as I had ever been. I was in a horrible relationship and had not yet recovered from my parents' death (I doubt one ever does). The contradiction of these two worlds was where "Only the Lonely" lived... bittersweet."
Always liked this song. Kind of came out of nowhere back then but had a nice groove to it. Their follow up "Take The L" wasn't as good, but next year's "Suddenly Last Summer" was another gem IMO.

37. Gloria - Laura Branigan - June

Stayed on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for 36 weeks, then a record for a female artist.

In the original Italian version, the singer is longing for Gloria. In Branigan's version, she is addressing Gloria, whose head is scrambled over a guy. 

36. Don't Talk to Strangers - Rick Springfield - March

Springfield said, "The song 'Don't Talk To Strangers' was my girlfriend who became my wife. I was screwing around on the road, and I was worried that she was doing the same thing while I was away. So it was my paranoia to her: I'm getting laid, but don't you go do the same thing, because it'll really upset me." 

On VH1's Behind The Music, Springfield said that he wrote this song at a time when he was in New York taping General Hospital episodes and doing concerts on the weekends.

Hold Me is a great song. The Mac part of the group with strong contributions: Christine's vocals and piano, and John's booming baseline.

Christine and Lindsey have voices that blend really well. They should have had more in the Fleetwood Mac catalogue. 

Mid morning snack...

92. Stand or Fall - The Fixx - October 1982

Like most songs by The Fixx, "Stand or Fall" was composed by the band and produced by Rupert Hine, who told us: "'Stand or Fall' was always a lovely composition. And I knew from the very beginning of the first rehearsal that it was all going to be down to just these two guitar chords. And they are the two chords that open the song by way of an intro. But they're also the same two chords that permeate the entire track. They just played the two separate chords that really needed to stand out and be a hook in themselves, not just be two chords in a pop song. They really needed to stand out as two sonic moments that you would hopefully get tingles. And I tried to get them to have this sort of hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck quality just being played on a guitar.

"Stand or Fall" became the group's first charting hit. In the United States, it peaked at number 76 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart but reached an impressive number 7 on the Top Rock Tracks chart.

The Fixx have a great greatest hits catalog.
Great song

91. Truly - Lionel Richie - September 1982

Richie's first solo single after leaving the Commodores earlier in the year, this won him a Grammy Award in the category Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. This was after 18 nominations (mostly for songs with the Commodores). He almost skipped the ceremony, as he was nominated each of the previous five years and had come up empty handed each time.

I think it was 1983 that I lied to my parents and snuck off to the big city with my girlfriend to see Lionel Ritchie. Funny now when I think back on it. I remember Tina Turner opened for him with her Private Dancer album release. May have been 84?

90. Always on My Mind - Willie Nelson - March 

This song raced to number one on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in May, spending two weeks on top and a total of 21 weeks on the chart. The song also fared well on Top 40 radio, reaching number five on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks and staying on that chart for 23 weeks. It was the best-performing single on the Hot Country Singles year-end chart of 1982.

Nelson's version resulted in three wins at the 25th Grammy Awards in February 1983: songwriters Christopher, James, and Carson won Song of the Year and Best Country Song; in addition, Nelson won for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. This version also won Country Music Association Awards in two consecutive years: 1982 Song of the Year and 1983 Song of the Year for songwriters Christopher, James and Carson; 1982 Single of the Year for Nelson, and; contributed to Nelson winning 1982 Album of the Year for the album Always on My Mind.

Several interesting facts at Songfacts.

I would have guessed this song was earlier than 1982. I do remember loving this album and I still listen to it. I saw Willy on this tour as well. My parents took us.

88. Even the Nights Are Better - Air Supply - June

Released as a single in mid-1982, "Even the Nights Are Better" first charted in the United States on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, where it spent four weeks at No. 1 in July and August. This was Air Supply's third song to reach the summit on this chart.

In September 1982, the song reached its peak position of No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the group's seventh consecutive top five hit on the US pop chart.

This song is notable for exiting the Billboard top 40 the week after it peaked, falling from No. 6 to No. 42 in September 1982. (Wiki appears a bit confused on the "peak".)

Oh yeah, I totally made out to this song in the front seat of my car. :lol:

Some great ones today. 

Love Me Tomorrow has long been a favorite of mine. I can't say I am wild about a lot of Chicago's other 80's hits, but that one is just special.

Hold Me is a great FM song, and Gypsy is my favorite song by the band.  Just a killer tune. 

Only the Lonely is nice. Just lovely melodies throughout. 

I guess I have to like Gloria now because of how it was used en route to the Blues first Cup win in '19, but it still is not a song I ever turn on to hear on purpose. 

@Andy Dufresnemust be good times up by you tonight with three of the Frozen Four from Minnesota.

I have to pivot the other way with U Mass, as my son will be starting there in the fall.

35. Maneater/Did It In A Minute - Hall & Oates - October/March

A) (I'm writing this anecdote from memory - AD) This was inspired when a duo were out at a restaurant and in walked a drop dead, suck the attention out of the room, woman. All eyes were on her as she took her seat...and started vilely tongue-lashing those around her. Like, construction worker bad. One of the guys said to the other something to the effect of her being a "Maneater"...and a hit was born.

What's it like playing a song from 1982 decades later? John Oates says, "We were very fortunate that a lot of those became big hits. And these songs have stood the test of time. So we're proud of pretty much everything we've done, and when we play live, we play those songs and we're happy to play them."

B) The song was inspired by the 1977 Eric Carmen hit "She Did It", because of the 'did-its' in the song. Carmen was touring with Hall & Oates at the time "Did It in a Minute" became a hit.[1][2] "She Did It" itself had been inspired by the 'did-its' in the Beach Boys' tune, "Do It Again".

This euphoric song about suddenly finding love was written by Daryl Hall along with his girlfriend Sara Allen and her sister, Janna Allen. In our interview with Hall, he explained: "I was in the car with Janna, and she said, 'I got this idea for a chorus,' and she sang that chorus. That's how it all started. And I said, 'That's great.' We got out of the car, I went to a keyboard, and I put the chords to it. I worked on a verse, and then Sara and I sat and wrote the lyrics together for the verse. So it was sort of a three-way collaboration on that song."

A) (I'm writing this anecdote from memory - AD) This was inspired when a duo were out at a restaurant and in walked a drop dead, suck the attention out of the room, woman. All eyes were on her as she took her seat...and started vilely tongue-lashing those around her. Like, construction worker bad. One of the guys said to the other something to the effect of her being a "Maneater"...and a hit was born.

What's it like playing a song from 1982 decades later? John Oates says, "We were very fortunate that a lot of those became big hits. And these songs have stood the test of time. So we're proud of pretty much everything we've done, and when we play live, we play those songs and we're happy to play them."

B) The song was inspired by the 1977 Eric Carmen hit "She Did It", because of the 'did-its' in the song. Carmen was touring with Hall & Oates at the time "Did It in a Minute" became a hit.[1][2] "She Did It" itself had been inspired by the 'did-its' in the Beach Boys' tune, "Do It Again".

This euphoric song about suddenly finding love was written by Daryl Hall along with his girlfriend Sara Allen and her sister, Janna Allen. In our interview with Hall, he explained: "I was in the car with Janna, and she said, 'I got this idea for a chorus,' and she sang that chorus. That's how it all started. And I said, 'That's great.' We got out of the car, I went to a keyboard, and I put the chords to it. I worked on a verse, and then Sara and I sat and wrote the lyrics together for the verse. So it was sort of a three-way collaboration on that song."
I think that Maneater and She's Gone are H&O's best and both are all time classics.

34. Workin' for a Livin'/Do You Believe in Love - Huey Lewis & The News - ???/January

A) According to Huey Lewis, the song was a semi-autobiographical one about past jobs he had before he became a musician. Lewis had written it during his time as a truck driver. "I wrote it when I was actually working," Lewis said. "I thought about all of the jobs which just sort of popped out."Some of the jobs listed in the song (busboy and bartender) were also jobs Lewis had before becoming a musician.

In 2007, Huey Lewis himself recorded the song as a duet with country music singer Garth Brooks. This duet version is included on Brooks' 2007 album, The Ultimate Hits, and was released as a single. It is Lewis' first appearance on the Hot Country Songs chart, where the single reached the top 20.

B) Early in his career, John "Mutt" Lange wrote and produced this song for a British band he was working with called Supercharge, which issued it on their 1979 album Body Rhythm under the title "We Both Believe In Love." Supercharge had some success in Europe, but weren't known at all in America, where the album wasn't even released.

Alex Call was the lead singer in Clover, and went on to write "Perfect World" for Huey Lewis & the News as well as "Jenny (867-5309)" for Tommy Tutone. Here's what he told Songfacts about Lange's production style: "Mutt is a real studio rat. He is Mr. Endurance in the studio. When we were making the records with him, he'd start working at 10:30, 11 in the morning and go until 3 at night, night after night. He is one of the guys that really developed that whole multi-multi-multi track recording. We'd do eight tracks of background vocals going, "Oooooh" and bounce those down to one track and then do another eight, he was doing a lot of that."

We interrupt this countdown to discuss a song of a different...er...color.

Ebony & Ivory - McCartney & Wonder

I was going to include this song at this point, because it was a huge hit at the time. But listening to it now, it is kind of terrible. Like McCartney's Christmas song terrible. Here are two opinions I came across:

• In 2013, Billboard ranked it as the 69th biggest hit of all-time on the Billboard Hot 100 charts.
  • This was a huge hit in the US, staying at #1 for seven weeks. Listeners quickly tired of the song, however, and it got very little radio play after it dropped off the charts. In the following years, the song was often mocked as superficial and maudlin, a stark contrast to the many McCartney and Wonder songs that have stood the test of time. In 2004, Blender magazine ranked it #10 on their list of the worst songs of all time.
I agree with the latter. Which allows me to fudge the inclusion of another song that was hinted at earlier - and I'm much happier about it.

It did, however, spur a pretty great SNL skit.

Last edited by a moderator:
33. Juke Box Hero - Foreigner - January

This song was written by Foreigner guitarist Mick Jones and lead singer Lou Gramm. Jones said, "That stemmed from an experience that we had, I think it was in Cincinnati. We'd gone to the arena for a sound check, and it was pouring down rain, and there were a bunch of fans waiting at the door when we went in. When we came back for the show later on, all that was left was one lonely fan, a young guy waiting out there in the rain, soaked to the skin. I thought, well, he's waiting like five hours here, maybe we'll take him in and give him a glimpse of what happens backstage at a show. And this kid was just mesmerized with everything. I saw this look in his eyes, and I thought, he's seeing this for the first time, he's having this experience. And I just imagined what was going through his mind. And I'd been toying with this title, 'Juke Box Hero,' I thought it was almost a satire on what we did and how it was perceived from an audience level, and public. That's how it originated."

Lou Gramm has a strong connection with this song - he named his 2013 autobiography Juke Box Hero: My Five Decades in Rock n' Roll. In 2015, he told us that it is one of his favorite songs to perform, but also the hardest to sing live.

Before he was a singer, Lou Gramm was a drummer. The menacing beat at the beginning of the song that builds to combustion is his influence: he says that when he writes songs, he starts with the beat and looks for interesting rhythms.

not an all-time favorite song, but Maneater is a damn-near-perfect single

Big fan of both, particularly Did It In A Minute - one of their most underrated hits IMO.

Huey gets derided a lot for being "commercially 80's" (maybe too square to be hip ... hehe).  But his stuff holds up pretty well.  I still like most of it. 
Very well regarded harmonica player. While with Clover in the 1970s, he played harmonica on Thin Lizzy's landmark live album Live and Dangerous

Baby Drives Me Crazy (introduced at the 3:10 mark)

34. Workin' for a Livin'/Do You Believe in Love - Huey Lewis & The News - ???/January

B) Early in his career, John "Mutt" Lange wrote and produced this song for a British band he was working with called Supercharge, which issued it on their 1979 album Body Rhythm under the title "We Both Believe In Love." Supercharge had some success in Europe, but weren't known at all in America, where the album wasn't even released.
Mutt didn't just write and produce the original - that's him on lead vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvxamEjpx4Q

Good move to switch over to producing.

I'm unabashedly a fan of his/theirs. I think my favorite is Jacob's Ladder.
My favorite is probably Couple Days Off. Some nice guitar riffs/solos in there. I really enjoy the break towards the end with the acoustic guitar, they let that breathe the perfect amount of time before jumping into another nice solo.

I've always thought Back In Time was one of the better made for soundtrack songs of the 80's. Pretty funky for these guys.

My favorite is probably Couple Days Off. Some nice guitar riffs/solos in there. I really enjoy the break towards the end with the acoustic guitar, they let that breathe the perfect amount of time before jumping into another nice solo.

I've always thought Back In Time was one of the better made for soundtrack songs of the 80's. Pretty funky for these guys.
 I'm sorry fellas, you're just too darn loud. 

Andy Dufresne said:
She did an appearance on Letterman wearing short-shorts that rode up her hindquarters and knew how exposed she was and played it up by turning her back to the camera and vigorously bounced up and down exposing more and more flesh.  

The crowd got into it and afterwards Dave came over and she bounced like crazy so Letterman dead panned the line.  'Good lord, you're going hurt somebody with those things'.  

Didn''t faze her, she hugged him and bounced some more.  

She had fantastic legs but they really made an ### of themselves.

5. Maneater - Hall & Oates - October/March
I can still vividly remember the moment I realized I was middle-aged.

It was a beautiful spring day, and I was driving home from work with the windows down.

At a stoplight, I realized I was tapping the side of the car to the beat of some song, and it turned out to be this one.  Horrified, I commanded my arm to stop.

At the next red light, I realized I was tapping the car again this time to the beat of Carribean Queen.  I realized then that youth was now in the rear-view mirror and that I had a one-way ticket to Oldiesville.

Andy Dufresne said:
She did an appearance on Letterman wearing short-shorts that rode up her hindquarters and knew how exposed she was and played it up by turning her back to the camera and vigorously bounced up and down exposing more and more flesh.  

The crowd got into it and afterwards Dave came over and she bounced like crazy so Letterman dead panned the line.  'Good lord, you're going hurt somebody with those things'.  

Didn''t faze her, she hugged him and bounced some more.  

She had fantastic legs but they really made an ### of themselves.
Guessing Dave had some solitaire time in the bathroom after that.

YouTube has everything, but seemingly not that clip. :kicksrock:

32. On The Loose - Saga

This was the biggest hit for Saga, a Canadian band that incorporated elements of progressive rock into their pop sound. Lead singer Michael Sadler wrote the song with his bandmates Ian Crichton (guitar), Jim Crichton (bass), Jim Gilmour (keyboards) and Steve Negus (drums).

Sadler told us: "'On the Loose' is blowing off steam. Everybody's got to just let it out every once in a while, you can't keep things inside. You know: tonight I'm on the loose, we're on the loose, you're on the loose. It's as simple as that.

At the time, and it's just gotten more so, stress, stress, stress for everybody, every single human on this planet. Every once in a while we've got to let go and just blow it out and deal with the consequences later. You've got to open that valve every once in a while."

This video version from VH1 sounds quite different. But I like it. I think this song is just all sorts of awesome. :headbang:

31. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Jim Peterik, regarding the origin of this song: "When we got the initial rough cut of the movie, the scene that 'Eye Of The Tiger' appears in was cut to 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen. Frankie and I are watching this, the punches are being thrown, and we're going, 'Holy crap, this is working like a charm.' We called Stallone and said, 'Why aren't you using that?' He goes, 'Well, we can't get the publishing rights to it.' Frankie and I looked at each other and went, 'Man, this is going to be tough to beat.' We had the spirit of, 'We've got to try to top this.' I started doing that now-famous dead string guitar riff and started slashing those chords to the punches we saw on the screen, and the whole song took shape in the next three days."

But you really can't go wrong with the Rye Or The Kaiser.

32. On The Loose - Saga

This was the biggest hit for Saga, a Canadian band that incorporated elements of progressive rock into their pop sound. Lead singer Michael Sadler wrote the song with his bandmates Ian Crichton (guitar), Jim Crichton (bass), Jim Gilmour (keyboards) and Steve Negus (drums).

Sadler told us: "'On the Loose' is blowing off steam. Everybody's got to just let it out every once in a while, you can't keep things inside. You know: tonight I'm on the loose, we're on the loose, you're on the loose. It's as simple as that.

At the time, and it's just gotten more so, stress, stress, stress for everybody, every single human on this planet. Every once in a while we've got to let go and just blow it out and deal with the consequences later. You've got to open that valve every once in a while."

This video version from VH1 sounds quite different. But I like it. I think this song is just all sorts of awesome. :headbang:
Always have been a big fan of this song. I was hoping it would have been in Tim's 1981 thread as the album Worlds Apart  was released that year. There's another really good tune from the album that I won't spotlight in case Bracie uses it for his next 100 for 1981.

Unfortunately beyond On The Loose and the other one above, Saga's material is pretty blech. They did have another mild MTV hit in 1983 with Cat Walk that was decent.

Users who are viewing this thread