What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

31. Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

Jim Peterik, regarding the origin of this song: "When we got the initial rough cut of the movie, the scene that 'Eye Of The Tiger' appears in was cut to 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen. Frankie and I are watching this, the punches are being thrown, and we're going, 'Holy crap, this is working like a charm.' We called Stallone and said, 'Why aren't you using that?' He goes, 'Well, we can't get the publishing rights to it.' Frankie and I looked at each other and went, 'Man, this is going to be tough to beat.' We had the spirit of, 'We've got to try to top this.' I started doing that now-famous dead string guitar riff and started slashing those chords to the punches we saw on the screen, and the whole song took shape in the next three days."

But you really can't go wrong with the Rye Or The Kaiser.
next to Bootylicious, my favorite cover of Edge of Seventeen

Jim Peterik, regarding the origin of this song: "When we got the initial rough cut of the movie, the scene that 'Eye Of The Tiger' appears in was cut to 'Another One Bites The Dust' by Queen. Frankie and I are watching this, the punches are being thrown, and we're going, 'Holy crap, this is working like a charm.' We called Stallone and said, 'Why aren't you using that?' He goes, 'Well, we can't get the publishing rights to it.' Frankie and I looked at each other and went, 'Man, this is going to be tough to beat.' We had the spirit of, 'We've got to try to top this.' I started doing that now-famous dead string guitar riff and started slashing those chords to the punches we saw on the screen, and the whole song took shape in the next three days."

Also worth mentioning that Peterik was the lead singer/lead guitarist on the great 1970 one-hit wonder "Vehicle" by Chicago  Blood, Sweat & Tears The Ides of March.

Last edited by a moderator:

Singer from Survivor was horsing around with Stallone, and wearing a beret, but found his true calling later, as voice of the Real Men of Genius Bud Light ad campaign.  

[voiceover]  "Today we salute you, Mr. Nudist Colony Event Organizer.............."

[guy from SurvivorRUNNING FREE!!!

:lmao:

32. On The Loose - Saga

This was the biggest hit for Saga, a Canadian band that incorporated elements of progressive rock into their pop sound. Lead singer Michael Sadler wrote the song with his bandmates Ian Crichton (guitar), Jim Crichton (bass), Jim Gilmour (keyboards) and Steve Negus (drums).

Sadler told us: "'On the Loose' is blowing off steam. Everybody's got to just let it out every once in a while, you can't keep things inside. You know: tonight I'm on the loose, we're on the loose, you're on the loose. It's as simple as that.

At the time, and it's just gotten more so, stress, stress, stress for everybody, every single human on this planet. Every once in a while we've got to let go and just blow it out and deal with the consequences later. You've got to open that valve every once in a while."

This video version from VH1 sounds quite different. But I like it. I think this song is just all sorts of awesome. :headbang:
Great tune.

She did an appearance on Letterman wearing short-shorts that rode up her hindquarters and knew how exposed she was and played it up by turning her back to the camera and vigorously bounced up and down exposing more and more flesh.  

The crowd got into it and afterwards Dave came over and she bounced like crazy so Letterman dead panned the line.  'Good lord, you're going hurt somebody with those things'.  

Didn''t faze her, she hugged him and bounced some more.  

She had fantastic legs but they really made an ### of themselves.
:link:

Huey gets derided a lot for being "commercially 80's" (maybe too square to be hip ... hehe).  But his stuff holds up pretty well.  I still like most of it. 
I liked Huey when his songs were coming out in the 80s even though it was not cool enough compared to the rest of my hard rock.  It does still hold up and I listen to his tunes frequently.  Not sure which song I like best.  

Maneater is one of those perfect songs that will never age.  It still sounds as great now as it did back then.  The production and mix literally could not be any better.  I saw H&O a few years ago on their joint tour with Tears for Fears, and they played a more rocked up version of Maneater and it wasn't nearly as good.  Hard to channel that same vibe 35 years later, and good luck getting that exact sound live, so I didn't hold it against them. I was there more for Tears for Fears anyway. ;)  

This is going to be an "easy listening" Friday!

30. Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me/Break It To Me Gently - Juice Newton -  May/August

A) The music video for this song comically plays off the emotional hurt of love by showing Juice Newton being physically injured by her lover in a series of accidents. The final shot is of Newton singing in the hospital in a full-body cast with her broken leg in the air. The video was awarded Video of the Year by the American Video Association in 1982.

B) Newton won the Grammy Award for Best Country Vocal Performance, Female, for her performance of the song. Newton would score three more Top 40 pop hits after "Break It to Me Gently".

29. Open Arms - Journey - January

According to the liner notes in Journey's Time3 compilation, Jonathan Cain came to Journey with this melody already written. It could have been a song for the Babys, his previous band, except that Babys vocalist John Waite rejected the melody as "too syrupy." He sheepishly showed the tune to Perry on his portable Wurlitzer keyboard and Perry immediately wanted to do it. The rest of the band wasn't so sure.

"They were opposed to the ballad," said Perry. "Neal hated the idea and Jon Cain thought maybe John Waite was right."

The third single from Escape not only went on to become the band's highest charting single and sent album sales into orbit, but pioneered the entire concept of the power ballad. "Now everybody's got to have one," said Perry. Waite came around as well: his big hit as a solo artist was the ballad "Missing You."

According to the liner notes in Journey's Time3 compilation, Jonathan Cain came to Journey with this melody already written. It could have been a song for the Babys, his previous band, except that Babys vocalist John Waite rejected the melody as "too syrupy." He sheepishly showed the tune to Perry on his portable Wurlitzer keyboard and Perry immediately wanted to do it. The rest of the band wasn't so sure.

"They were opposed to the ballad," said Perry. "Neal hated the idea and Jon Cain thought maybe John Waite was right."

The third single from Escape not only went on to become the band's highest charting single and sent album sales into orbit, but pioneered the entire concept of the power ballad. "Now everybody's got to have one," said Perry. Waite came around as well: his big hit as a solo artist was the ballad "Missing You."
I thought Escape was all 1981, but I see that Open Arms the single was released in 1982.

Without a doubt, the most metal song on the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

Valdez Alaska summer of 91 living in a tent in a fish processing camp.  Unbelievably hot gf had a black van.  She was into country music and the only tape I could listen to was Juice Newton.  THIS TUNE was the one.

I unabashedly loved this tune and remember gushing to a crowd of fish hippies.

'I can't start the day without my JUICE!'

Laughter all around, lol.

Can't say I'm a big fan of this song, but I'm pretty sure I fell in love with every girl I danced with to this at all the 7th and 8th grade dances.

as i've recounted before, the only song i broke up because of. i had gotten a LOT of comic mileage out of singing along with Journey songs as whiny Neil Young, but this one stacked Jersey girl could not abide it. and Open Arms was my specialty cuz i'd also rewritten the lyrics to make it Broken Arms ("and sooooo i commmme to yooooo with broooken arms/check out this sling/believe what i siiing"). she had forbidden me to do it in front of her but, one bright day, we were driving into the city from her place and it came on the radio. i had a Seinfeld "heLLOOOOO" choice and the Manhattan skyline out the car window just brought out my comic instinct and........"so i commmme to yoooo...." she dropped right out on Rte 9, never saw her again...

28. Shame on the Moon - Bob Seger - December

Bob Seger wrote most of his own material, but one of his biggest hits, "Shame On The Moon," was a cover. It was written by Rodney Crowell, who recorded it on his 1981 self-titled album. 

Some Eagles are part of this story. Don Henley is the one who turned Seger on to Crowell. When Seger bought Crowell's album, he loved "Shame On The Moon" and played it for his band. His producer, Jimmy Iovine, wasn't sold, but when Seger recorded harmony vocals with his good friend Glenn Frey, he knew they had something special. Seger co-wrote the Eagles song "Heartache Tonight" with Frey a few years earlier.

26. Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes - July

The entire process - from idea to inclusion in the movie and release - took only 30 days. Will Jennings wrote the lyrics. He's responsible for the words to many famous songs, including "My Heart Will Go On," "Looks Like We Made It," and many of Steve Winwood's hits. Jennings told us:

"Joel Sill, who was head of the music department of Paramount, asked me to consider writing a song for this film. I watched a rough cut, loved the film and I heard enough parts to make up a song. I asked Joel to send me the work track and I stitched together the verse, chorus, and bridge of the song and wrote the lyrics... Joel sent it to Stewart Levine, a fine music producer, and Stewart and I talked the song over on the phone and he went in to the studio and cut the hit track with Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes."

Will Jennings told us about coming up with the words to this song: "I am a working class person and these people in the film trying to make it, they are my people. The mountain imagery is about striving for the top - people often don't hear the lyric right - it is 'Where eagles cry, on a mountain high' instead of 'Where eagles fly, on a mountain high' - if you have ever heard an eagle cry, the power and beauty of it and all the wild freedom of it, you will get the distinction. As far as "All I know is the way I feel...' well, if you have nothing else to tell you what to do in your life, you have to go with the way you feel... if you are lost, you have only your instinct and passion to guide you."

The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US and topped the charts in several other countries. It also sold more than one million copies in the US and was recognized by the Recording Industry Association of America as one of the Songs of the Century. Cocker and Warnes were awarded the Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, and Nitzsche, Sainte-Marie, and Jennings won both the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

26. Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes - July

The entire process - from idea to inclusion in the movie and release - took only 30 days. Will Jennings wrote the lyrics. He's responsible for the words to many famous songs, including "My Heart Will Go On," "Looks Like We Made It," and many of Steve Winwood's hits. Jennings told us:

"Joel Sill, who was head of the music department of Paramount, asked me to consider writing a song for this film. I watched a rough cut, loved the film and I heard enough parts to make up a song. I asked Joel to send me the work track and I stitched together the verse, chorus, and bridge of the song and wrote the lyrics... Joel sent it to Stewart Levine, a fine music producer, and Stewart and I talked the song over on the phone and he went in to the studio and cut the hit track with Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes."

Will Jennings told us about coming up with the words to this song: "I am a working class person and these people in the film trying to make it, they are my people. The mountain imagery is about striving for the top - people often don't hear the lyric right - it is 'Where eagles cry, on a mountain high' instead of 'Where eagles fly, on a mountain high' - if you have ever heard an eagle cry, the power and beauty of it and all the wild freedom of it, you will get the distinction. As far as "All I know is the way I feel...' well, if you have nothing else to tell you what to do in your life, you have to go with the way you feel... if you are lost, you have only your instinct and passion to guide you."

The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US and topped the charts in several other countries. It also sold more than one million copies in the US and was recognized by the Recording Industry Association of America as one of the Songs of the Century. Cocker and Warnes were awarded the Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals, and Nitzsche, Sainte-Marie, and Jennings won both the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

Always reminds me of that Simpsons episode doing a parody of the An Officer and a Gentleman ending.

25. Don't Tell Me You Love Me - Night Ranger - December

In a Songfacts interview with Jack Blades, he explained: "We had already started working on our first album, and I came up with this song. I was just thinking of the idea of how it's really great, and it's really fun, but just don't tell me you love me – let's not go there. Let's just keep it fun and happy and everything like that. I wrote the chorus first, (singing) 'Don't tell me you love me, don't tell me you love me, don't tell me, I don't want to know.' And then I wrote these verses, 'It ain't the way you move, it ain't the way that you move me,' '25 years, I'm a kid on the run,' and all that kind of stuff. And I didn't think I'd written enough lyrics, because it seemed like it was so easy, but there wasn't a lot of words. And I always thought, Man, am I shortchanging the song? Shouldn't there be more lyrics? But my producer goes, 'No, man, it's fine the way it is.' He said, 'What you've succeeded in doing is conveying the whole idea of the song in a minimum amount of words, without having to write 4 verses, a bunch of choruses, a bridge, and everything like that, and it totally gets what the message is in the song with what you've done.' And he says, 'Congratulations. A lot of people have a hard time doing that.'"

And even though things seem all wonky right now, I want you to all know something...You Can Still Rock In America! :headbang:

24. A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls

The single was released on their own Shaky City record label, distributed by Bomp! Records. The song reached No. 11 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart and was featured in the 1983 film Valley Girl. The band appeared in the film performing the song and parts of two others. 

I had originally left this off the list, originally classifying it as an "official" '83 release. But when I nixed "Ebony & Ivory" then I felt good about substituting this in instead...and at a pretty high ranking. 

The single was released on their own Shaky City record label, distributed by Bomp! Records. The song reached No. 11 on the Billboard Top Tracks chart and was featured in the 1983 film Valley Girl. The band appeared in the film performing the song and parts of two others. 

I had originally left this off the list, originally classifying it as an "official" '83 release. But when I nixed "Ebony & Ivory" then I felt good about substituting this in instead...and at a pretty high ranking. 
I had also thought this was 1983, but so be it. Great tune.

In terms of 1982 Plimsouls tunes, they did have "Zero Hour", which was played at the beginning of that heartbreaking ending scene of the Last American Virgin  that I posted earlier when "Just Once" was ranked.

I had also thought this was 1983, but so be it. Great tune.

In terms of 1982 Plimsouls tunes, they did have "Zero Hour", which was played at the beginning of that heartbreaking ending scene of the Last American Virgin  that I posted earlier when "Just Once" was ranked.
It depends on how you look at it.

They released it on their own label in '82 but then it was included on the band's second album, Everywhere at Once, released by Geffen Records in 1983. It was then re-released as a single in 1983 and peaked at No. 82 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. 

Andy Dufresne said:
25. Don't Tell Me You Love Me - Night Ranger - December

In a Songfacts interview with Jack Blades, he explained: "We had already started working on our first album, and I came up with this song. I was just thinking of the idea of how it's really great, and it's really fun, but just don't tell me you love me – let's not go there. Let's just keep it fun and happy and everything like that. I wrote the chorus first, (singing) 'Don't tell me you love me, don't tell me you love me, don't tell me, I don't want to know.' And then I wrote these verses, 'It ain't the way you move, it ain't the way that you move me,' '25 years, I'm a kid on the run,' and all that kind of stuff. And I didn't think I'd written enough lyrics, because it seemed like it was so easy, but there wasn't a lot of words. And I always thought, Man, am I shortchanging the song? Shouldn't there be more lyrics? But my producer goes, 'No, man, it's fine the way it is.' He said, 'What you've succeeded in doing is conveying the whole idea of the song in a minimum amount of words, without having to write 4 verses, a bunch of choruses, a bridge, and everything like that, and it totally gets what the message is in the song with what you've done.' And he says, 'Congratulations. A lot of people have a hard time doing that.'"
Their first - and still remains their best - song IMO. Blistering guitar work by Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson.

Andy Dufresne said:

The single was released on their own Shaky City record label, distributed by Bomp! Records. 

when I nixed "Ebony & Ivory" then I felt good about substituting this in instead...and at a pretty high ranking. 
Bomp! was one of the mail order catalogs I would get pre internet days. My local record shop had limited 45s so I would buy albums from them and singles from Bomp. Usually one hit/no hit wonders, but stuff that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

And good move subbing this song for the worst song either of those 2 guys ever made.

22. Bad to the Bone - George Thorogood & The Destroyers

Sure the song is mostly played out by now, but on the other hand it's still a kick ### song that actually improved on the Bo Diddley sound. And it plays way better in the movie Christine than Terminator 2.

With MTV coming on the air in 1981, Thorogood picked a good time to release a memorable video. The clip shows Thorogood playing pool against Bo Diddley in a place where there is no chance of a dance sequence breaking out. Pool champion Willie Mosconi also appears in the clip, which introduced Thorogood - and to some extent, Diddley - to the younger MTV crowd. Among the British New Wave acts that dominated MTV's playlist at the time, Thorogood certainly stood out, and he created an image of a bad man. While Thorogood is a disciple of the blues, he was raised in a Delaware suburb and by most accounts is actually a pretty nice guy, despite what he claims in this song.

21. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring

Written by the band's guitarist George Kooymans, who got the inspiration from a book by Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Identity.

This song was also used as the theme to the Twilight Zone pinball machine. This was part of Bally Midway's series of "Superpin" arcade pinball games that were based on TV shows - other pinball games in the series were based on Star Trek and The Addams Family

21. Twilight Zone - Golden Earring

Written by the band's guitarist George Kooymans, who got the inspiration from a book by Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Identity.

This song was also used as the theme to the Twilight Zone pinball machine. This was part of Bally Midway's series of "Superpin" arcade pinball games that were based on TV shows - other pinball games in the series were based on Star Trek and The Addams Family
I’d have no problem with this song at #1 overall (although has to be the long version with the extended middle).

Amazing longevity of these guys. Per Wiki:

“All musicians in the last lineup of the band have been continuous members of the band since 1970, although other musicians have joined and left the band during the intervening years. The band announced on 5 February 2021 that it would stop playing after founding band member George Kooymans was diagnosed with ALS.” 🙁

23. Destination Unknown/Words - Missing Persons

Despite the fact that I can't find any interesting facts to accompany this entry, these songs embody the best of the early-mid 80's sound. Destination Unknown is one of the more unique sounding songs of the 80's.

Not an interesting fact, but in case anyone didn't know, the drummer Terry Bozzio is an insane talent.  There's some YouTubes out there that are really cool.  

Here, Terry walks you through his foot pedals.  It takes two and a half minutes.  

Users who are viewing this thread