Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Scarface movie with Al Pacino

On 3/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

Sanitation?  I told you to tell ’em that you was in a sanitarium.  Not sanitation, sanitarium.

my favorite line. hands down.

• Thinking 1

It's a great period piece that encompasses that era perfectly.  I'm partial to Carlitos Way which is more polished and almost seems like a sequel of sorts.  

It's the movie that broke Pacino's brain, right? This is the moment he crossed over from being the best actor of a generation to a guy doing a shtick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Major said:

It's a great period piece that encompasses that era perfectly.  I'm partial to Carlitos Way which is more polished and almost seems like a sequel of sorts.  

I treat it as a sequel.  It has a ton of the same actors and  Carlito is like an older Tony.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

It's the movie that broke Pacino's brain, right? This is the moment he crossed over from being the best actor of a generation to a guy doing a shtick. 

Pacino was on a cold streak when he began filming Scarface. Bobby Deerfield, And Justice For All, Author Author and Cruising showed Pacino trying to branch out as an actor, but not having much success either critically or commercially. (Although I have always liked Author Author because it's amusing to watch Pacino do a Woody Allen impersonation for two hours).

Scarface was not a big hit when released. It was expensive to produce and because it was nearly three hours long, theaters could not run it a bunch of times a day. The VHS release made it into a cult film.

After that he did Revolution, which was dreadful. When Sea Of Love came out the studio had more faith in John Goodman drawing people to the theaters (because he was on the #1 TV show), than they did in Pacino. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Pacino was on a cold streak when he began filming Scarface. Bobby Deerfield, And Justice For All, Author Author and Cruising showed Pacino trying to branch out as an actor, but not having much success either critically or commercially. (Although I have always liked Author Author because it's amusing to watch Pacino do a Woody Allen impersonation for two hours).

Scarface was not a big hit when released. It was expensive to produce and because it was nearly three hours long, theaters could not run it a bunch of times a day. The VHS release made it into a cult film.

After that he did Revolution, which was dreadful. When Sea Of Love came out the studio had more faith in John Goodman drawing people to the theaters (because he was on the #1 TV show), than they did in Pacino. 

And Justice For All was a hit and got him an Oscar nomination. 

19 hours ago, need2know said:

I treat it as a sequel.  It has a ton of the same actors and  Carlito is like an older Tony.    

Carlito is nothing like Tony Montana.  Tony was a psychopath.  Carlito is a gangster, but much more subdued and thoughtful.  

19 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Carlito is nothing like Tony Montana.  Tony was a psychopath.  Carlito is a gangster, but much more subdued and thoughtful.  

agree to a point.  I think if tony ever got off the blow and calmed down he could have turned into a character like Carlito.

not sure about you but i was a far different person 20 years ago then today.   

people can evolve.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:14 PM, eoMMan said:

Two questions...

1. Should I watch this movie? (Never saw it)

2. Would there be outrage if this movie was made today with Al Pacino playing a Cuban refugee?

Did you watch it yet?

:confused:

• Like 1

1) If you like 'gangster' movies, you're almost obligated to watch it just to have a cultural reference in the scope of the genre.  I've always thought it a tad overrated and you can almost pinpoint the year it was made via the soundtrack.

2) Yes and no.  At the end of the day, Pacino had already played the most notorious movie gangster of all time.  Him returning to such a role amkes sense simply from a legacy POV.  At the same time, this era of...people...whine quite a bit.  So there'd be a pocket of outrage if Luis Guzman played Scarface since he's Puerto Rican, not Cuban.

3) Weighing in on Carlito's Way...a) Tony Montana was insane.  Carlito Brigante spends the entire movie trying to save $75K to retire.  These are different people.  b) many aspects of Carlito's Way I think are better than Scarface.  But it's not close to being as quotable or memorable.  The element of cheese in Scarface is timeless.  Carlito's Way not so much, but Sean Penn as Jewish lawyer when he's only a borderline Jew would have rankled some feathers.  Particularly with Adam Sandler.

1 hour ago, Klimtology said:

Did you watch it yet?

:confused:

Nah, hopefully soon. 

Big fan of some of the other movies mentioned in this thread (Carlitos Way, Goodfellas, etc.)

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Nah, hopefully soon. 

Big fan of some of the other movies mentioned in this thread (Carlitos Way, Goodfellas, etc.)

It's an all time classic.  Better than Carlitos Way, not as good as Goodfellas, but still great!

HTH

Edited by Klimtology
  • Thanks 1

Her womb is so polluted.....I can’t even have a baby with her.

Don’t worry about it...I will give her another quaalude and she will love me in the morning.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, popeye said:

I expect someone has already shared this with the OP

For anyone who hasn't seen the end of the movie, don't click on this link.  

• Like 1