What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squistion

Footballguy
Sadly another mass shooting today in Boulder Colorado. Number of dead/injured unknown at this time.

Press conference by Boulder Police to begin shortly...(I know there was a mass shooting(s) thread, but I can't find it with a search)

Reuters @Reuters 1h

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT - Police in Boulder, Colorado, reported an ‘active shooter’ at a King Soopers grocery store, and aerial footage broadcast live from the scene by local media showed one person being placed in an ambulance and a man in handcuffs 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-colorado-shooting/shooter-reported-by-police-in-boulder-colorado-man-shown-in-handcuffs-idUSKBN2BE308

Boulder Twitter hashtag:

https://twitter.com/search?q=Boulder&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to today there were 21 people killed by mass shootings in 2021.  In the last 45 years, 1,280 people in the US have died by mass shootings.  That is roughly the same number of people that have died in the US by lightning strikes.

Makes for great news stories and the furthering of political goals though.

Prior to today there were 21 people killed by mass shootings in 2021.  In the last 45 years, 1,280 people in the US have died by mass shootings.  That is roughly the same number of people that have died in the US by lightning strikes.

Prior to today, 37 people had been killed by mass shootings in March 2021 alone. I have no idea where you're getting your numbers from but they're not even close to being accurate.

Gun grab coming...  which means ammo is going to keep getting more expensive and harder to find, which means legal gun owners who need practice at the range won’t be able to get it. Also results in lower income people having less access to their 2A rights.

So, they only are counting shootings in which 4 or more people were killed and literally say in the article that a broader definition would yield much higher numbers. Pretty misleading without any context.

There is no universally accepted definition of a public mass shooting, and this piece defines it narrowly. It looks at the 182 shootings in which four or more people were killed, usually by a lone shooter. It does not include shootings tied to robberies that went awry, and it does not include domestic shootings that took place exclusively in private homes. A broader definition would yield much higher numbers.

Probably a fair amount of non-mass shootings as well. 

I know this is a favored phrase “gun grab” by NRA supporters, but has it ever happened in modern American history? 
Probably a bad term because they don’t actually come out and grab guns, at least not yet.  But they do make certain guns and mags illegal and I expect we’ll see more of this now.  They also make it more difficult for people to own a gun.  I just got my permit and it took me 5 months and about $450, and I did it as quickly as possible.

Whatever suits your agenda I guess. Until recently that was the accepted definition by the Gun Violence  Archive. 
I'm going off of the article he gave me and what the Gun Violence Archive is saying.

If that's the case, it looks like Gun Violence Archive might have changed the criteria to 4+ people killed and/or injured. It looks like every shooting they have listed fits that criteria.

I'm going off of the article he gave me and what the Gun Violence Archive is saying.

If that's the case, it looks like Gun Violence Archive might have changed the criteria to 4+ people killed and/or injured. It looks like every shooting they have listed fits that criteria.
Per Wiki (for what it is worth)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting

Mass shooting

A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of gun violence. There is no widely accepted definition of the term mass shooting. The United States' FBI follows the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 definition for active shooter incidents and mass killings (defined by the law as three or more people) in public places. Based on this, it is generally agreed that a mass shooting is whenever three or more people are shot (injured or killed), not including the shooters.[1]

Different media outlets and research groups use different definitions for the term "mass shooting" For example, crime violence research group Gun Violence Archive defines a "mass shooting" as "four or more shot (injured or killed) in a single incident, at the same general time and location, not including the shooter," differentiating between mass shooting and mass murder.[2]

I’m saying it’s misleading to come into this thread citing that stat without giving any context into how you’re defining a mass shooting.
Well now that we’ve cleared that up, do you agree that mass shootings are overhyped by the media and Liberal politicians?

Probably a bad term because they don’t actually come out and grab guns, at least not yet.  But they do make certain guns and mags illegal and I expect we’ll see more of this now.  They also make it more difficult for people to own a gun.  I just got my permit and it took me 5 months and about $450, and I did it as quickly as possible.
I don’t want you not to be able to own a gun. But I am willing to make it harder for you to own a gun, if it means that bad people are less likely to obtain them. I don’t know if that works though. 

I don’t want you not to be able to own a gun. But I am willing to make it harder for you to own a gun, if it means that bad people are less likely to obtain them. I don’t know if that works though. 
Yah, I don't think harder is bad (without getting into what that means)...but like you not sure that works.

So, they only are counting shootings in which 4 or more people were killed and literally say in the article that a broader definition would yield much higher numbers. Pretty misleading without any context.
Yeah, we have gone around and around with this in the gun thread.  Some use 4 some use 3, different countries are using different metrics, etc..   It's frustrating and bogs down the conversation a bit.  

Honest response and I appreciate that.  I used to be dead set against guns until I moved to a very rural area. Out here you have to own a gun.

Not misleading at all. It’s the standard accepted definition of a mass shooting, which is why the Washington Post uses it.
Per wiki:

A mass shooting is an incident involving multiple victims of gun violence. There is no widely accepted definition of the term mass shooting. The United States' FBI follows the Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012 definition for active shooter incidents and mass killings (defined by the law as three or more people) in public places. Based on this, it is generally agreed that a mass shooting is whenever three or more people are shot (injured or killed), not including the shooters.[1]

Well now that we’ve cleared that up, do you agree that mass shootings are overhyped by the media and Liberal politicians?
I don’t know if I’d say overhyped but I think they definitely milk them out for as long as they can if they fit the narrative they want, which usually is the case and appears to be again based on the initial videos I’ve seen.

Right or wrong there is a psychological component to what people focus on and fear, and it it isn't always rational for follow %s.   It's not some conspiratorial media agenda it's human nature.   We fear sharks although they account for very few deaths.  We fear mass shootings because they often come without warning, could involve our kids at school, etc..   

Yes, statistically we should fear sugar, fast food, driving or the other dozens of things that kill us at a statistically higher %... 

I don’t know if I’d say overhyped but I think they definitely milk them out for as long as they can if they fit the narrative they want, which usually is the case and appears to be again based on the initial videos I’ve seen.
Well a politician on CNN just said that “this is something that is all-too common in our communities across the country”.  Would you describe people getting killed by lightning in the same manner?

Gun grab coming...  which means ammo is going to keep getting more expensive and harder to find, which means legal gun owners who need practice at the range won’t be able to get it. Also results in lower income people having less access to their 2A rights.
NRA lying about gun grab coming.  Prices will rise for guns, ammo and manufacturer stocks.  No effect whatsoever on ability to buy a gun.  

NRA lying about gun grab coming.  Prices will rise for guns, ammo and manufacturer stocks.  No effect whatsoever on ability to buy a gun.  
No effect?  That’s laughable.  The gun I wanted to buy in July was sold out and not available until November.  And the gun I really wanted to buy - an AR-15 - can’t even be purchased anymore in my state.  9mm rounds have more than doubled in price from last Summer.  When I tried to buy some locally they were sold out entirely in my county.  

Well a politician on CNN just said that “this is something that is all-too common in our communities across the country”.  Would you describe people getting killed by lightning in the same manner?
I never understand these types of arguments and examples.   I don't even get the connection you are trying to make.   Just because 2 things might cause a similar # of deaths they need to get equal exposure in the news (nevermind that one is a natural occurance).    Are you annoyed that we don't have 600x the # of articles about the causes of heart disease over the exposure a mass shooting might get?

No effect?  That’s laughable.  The gun I wanted to buy in July was sold out and not available until November.  9mm rounds have more than doubled in price from last Summer.  When I tried to buy some locally they were sold out entirely in my county.
Any chance that was a issue on the the production side due to covid?  

I never understand these types of arguments and examples.   I don't even get the connection you are trying to make.   Just because 2 things might cause a similar # of deaths they need to get equal exposure in the news (nevermind that one is a natural occurance).    Are you annoyed that we don't have 600x the # of articles about the causes of heart disease over the exposure a mass shooting might get?
Nope. Just pointing out the fact the hype doesn’t equate to the reality.  It’s like how liberals get rightfully upset when individual crimes of illegal immigrants are hyped.

Are you expecting him to use the definition from the article you linked? The article that literally said ‘There is no universally accepted definition of a public mass shooting, and this piece defines it narrowly’?

Sounds an awful lot like you’re trying to do exactly what you claim CNN is doing. Distorting information in a way to try and downplay/overanalyze whatever fits the agenda.

Wow. A bunch of people die from a madman with a gun, but hey, it's only about the same amount that have died from lightning, so no biggie

holy ####
Nobody said no biggie.  Any loss of life is terrible, especially when it is at the hands of another human being.

Any confirmation that this was a vaccination site? Saw several social media posts to that affect earlier, but it's early.
Yeah, father of an eye witness was in CNN. His son-in-law was 3rd in line and the 1st person in line was shot. Said most of the shooting happened around the pharmacy, could have been targeting people getting the vaccine. 

Any confirmation that this was a vaccination site? Saw several social media posts to that affect earlier, but it's early.
One man, named Steve, whose grandchildren were inside with their father, said they heard shots as the man got his COVID vaccine:

"Came in with their dad so he could get a COVID shot. They came in through the east door, where the pharmacy is, and that’s where it all started. There was shooting, and he saw it. Got the girls down. They ran and hid upstairs in a coat closet for an hour, in the coats. They were communicating with my daughter through his phone, texting. And then the cops came in through the roof, protecting them. They’re out now. Out the back. This is going to be pretty hard for them to live with, I think... 

https://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/shooting-boulder-king-soopers-table-mesa/73-f5825a61-8b9b-4b5a-a550-36edf1c44d50

Would you consider lightning strikes a big deal in this country? I sure wouldn't.
I’d imagine that the equal numbers of people killed by mass shootings and lightning strikes would all consider them big deals.  From my standpoint I feel badly for all of them and their families.  But if I am evaluating the risk of each I am going to look at the actual data rather than the hype presented in the media or by politicians with an agenda.  Follow the science, right?

MSNBC and CNN? 

I'll be taking bets this has zero to do with the vaccine just based on previous track record alone. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread