What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Boulder King Soopers shooter was said to have had one I think

and that's it

and bump stocks only in Vegas - one time did anyone use them and boom!!!  bans are called from Democrats
Why do you always lie?  Never mind, I know.  It's because your ridiculous arguments can't be supported by facts.

“President Donald Trump is a law and order president, who has signed into law millions of dollars in funding for law enforcement officers in our schools, and under his strong leadership, the Department of Justice has prosecuted more gun criminals than ever before as we target violent criminals. We are faithfully following President Trump’s leadership by making clear that bump stocks, which turn semiautomatics into machine guns, are illegal, and we will continue to take illegal guns off of our streets.”

On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.” In response to that direction the Department reviewed more than 186,000 public comments and made the decision to make clear that the term “machinegun” as used in the National Firearms Act (NFA), as amended, and Gun Control Act (GCA), as amended, includes all bump-stock-type devices that harness recoil energy to facilitate the continuous operation of a semiautomatic firearm after a single pull of the trigger. 
Link to actual facts

Why do you always lie?  Never mind, I know.  It's because your ridiculous arguments can't be supported by facts.
do you have links to other mass shootings or even shootings where bump stocks and assisted grips were used ?

if not - .....

yes, Trump and others said "well, we'll give in on bump stocks" which made zero impact at all on crimes. Wow, what an incredible success that was huh ?  :(    but anti-gun people wanted bump stocks banned

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/398436-dems-press-trump-on-bump-stocks-ban

KarmaPolice - can we be honest ? What I suggested will NEVER happen because it would be everyone betting looked at hard with their medical histories and background checking for things like driving, voting etc - and they'll feel its a grand violation of their Constitutional Rights because you're right - its a huge umbrella and they'll not go for it because THEY will be impacted and affected

Same people don't own guns and so, don't have a problem with banning them.

why doesn't CNN talk about all the stabbing deaths ?  nobody cares much - its the price we pay in a society that has knives isn't it ?

https://abc7chicago.com/los-angeles-stabbing-california-reseda-children-stabbed/10506231/

https://www.google.com/search?q=police+stabbing+death&rlz=1C1ONGR_enUS935US935&sxsrf=ALeKk00ZRcUp-jkbFN8zerNShmw3DYGahQ:1618239023373&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY6ZiR-vjvAhWSLs0KHZd0Ac4Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1863&bih=877
Yes, we can be honest.   I honestly don't give two craps about what CNN does or does not report.   

Yes, we can be honest.   I honestly don't give two craps about what CNN does or does not report.   
but media greatly influences what people think and believe

thus the massive lack of information so many non-gun and anti-gun people have :(

CNN is the largest liberal outlet - what they say many believe 

Is this true for you too?
absolutely !  it is for EVERYBODY

posters always talk about echo-chambers .... and its actually a very good description of how humans go about things 

we surround ourselves with like minded people and in many ways, to reaffirm what we ourselves to believe as true and real ..most people do not want their beliefs and ideals challenged

media realized and understood this long ago .... keep telling your target audience what they want to hear and they'll love and support you and always listen to you. report what they don't want to hear, and they'll turn on you and go somewhere else to get back into their comfort zone

do you not agree ?

so to change that pattern, I go to CNN vs FOX and OANN etc. .... I go to my conservative boards but also liberal boards where I have to constantly try and navigate and figure out if what I believe is really right and true or am I just in my own comfort zone and echo chamber

posters always talk about echo-chambers .... and its actually a very good description of how humans go about things 

we surround ourselves with like minded people and in many ways, to reaffirm what we ourselves to believe as true and real ..most people do not want their beliefs and ideals challenged

media realized and understood this long ago .... keep telling your target audience what they want to hear and they'll love and support you and always listen to you. report what they don't want to hear, and they'll turn on you and go somewhere else to get back into their comfort zone

do you not agree ?

so to change that pattern, I go to CNN vs FOX and OANN etc. .... I go to my conservative boards but also liberal boards where I have to constantly try and navigate and figure out if what I believe is really right and true or am I just in my own comfort zone and echo chamber
You ask me that first bolded a lot.   How often have we actually agreed on something? 

Here is my problem with the 2nd bolded - while your instinct seems to be right in that you should try going to different places, where you are going is also pretty bad at factual news reporting.   I can't imagine that you are getting a ton more than #####ing about the other side when you go to those sites.   

We have linked many times the Media Bias chart and other sites that are similar.  My questions to you would be twofold:  1.  Do you strongly disagree which that info, and if not 2.  why would you choose to go to places that are rated low on the factual reporting grades?   HERE is the chart again. 

I get the counterpoint of what you guys are saying that you have trouble finding much that skews conservative.   IMO a huge takeaway from that chart is that there is a huge cluster of options in the green square that represents skews left + factual reporting.   There is barely any within that square on the opposite side, and the ones that are in there I've never really heard of.   When you start listing the popular conservative sites, they are down in the yellow and orange zone - so as you skew right most of the time you get less reliable factual reporting.   I have 0 clue why it became that way or how you would go about correcting that, but IMO it's a huge issue.  

Like I joke - I feel like I am living in a different country than a lot of you because of how much in a bubble I seem to be.  I decided awhile ago to get my daily news from that top middle square.  This is my only SM exposure, and I don't have cable, so I don't watch any broadcast news.   I try to mix it up a bit by reading books from both sides, or trying to find podcasts that have multiple people on them or interviews to get a back and forth going.  

KarmaPolice said:
1.  Do you strongly disagree which that info, and if not 2.  why would you choose to go to places that are rated low on the factual reporting grades?   HERE is the chart again. 
I do not agree because the very media that's biased is the ones creating the charts. 

Your chart shows CNN slightly left

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cnn/

that one shows CNN 

Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

KarmaPolice said:
Like I joke - I feel like I am living in a different country than a lot of you because of how much in a bubble I seem to be.  I decided awhile ago to get my daily news from that top middle square.  This is my only SM exposure, and I don't have cable, so I don't watch any broadcast news.   I try to mix it up a bit by reading books from both sides, or trying to find podcasts that have multiple people on them or interviews to get a back and forth going.  
see, we agree again !!

I traveled a lot when I was a younger man. You could say I've been there and done that and yet, the way people in different areas act and behave and believe absolutely baffle me and I do not think I'll ever understand it. It truly is like a different country sometimes 

KarmaPolice said:
HERE is the chart again. 
and on cue, just read this article

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cnn-director-shown-on-undercover-video-boasting-about-removing-trump-from-office-and-admitting-to-spreading-propaganda/ar-BB1fCA7W?ocid=msedgntp

A CNN staffer can be seen in a newly released undercover video calling out his own network for “propaganda” and boasting that the cable news giant successfully removed former President Donald Trump from office.

"Look at what we did, we got Trump out," Charles Chester, a network technical director at CNN, said to an undercover journalist from the political action group Project Veritas in a tape released Tuesday. "I am 100% going to say it. And I 100% believe it that if it wasn't for CNN, I don't know that Trump would have got voted out."

Chester spoke to the undercover reporter in several clips in which he bragged that he was “one step down” from a director and admitted that the network pushed a story it “didn’t know anything about” relating to Trump’s physical health in order to damage him.

"Trump was, I don't know, like, shaking his hand or whatever ... We brought in, like, so many medical people to like all tell a story that, like, it was all speculation that he was, like, neurologically damaged, that he was losing it, he's unfit to, you know, whatever," Chester said. "We were creating a story that we didn't know anything about."

Chester added that the network did what it could to paint President Joe Biden as young and healthy to combat criticisms of his old age and possibly declining mental facilities.

“We would always show shots of him jogging ... him in his aviator shades, and, like, you paint him as a young geriatric," Chester said.

Chester also admitted that CNN was engaged in propaganda in the way it has been criticizing firebrand Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, who faces allegations of sexual impropriety with a 17-year-old, allegations he has vehemently denied.

“If the agenda, say, is to get Matt Gaetz right now, he’s, like, this Republican,” Chester said in response to a question from the undercover journalist on how he defines propaganda. “He’s a problem for the Democratic Party ... So we’re going to keep running these stories to keep hurting him. That’s propaganda because it’s helping CNN in some way.”

bold prediction regarding reactions to the link above (not necessarily by FBGs in this forum): 

- some people: "Pfft. It's James O'Keefe and 'Project Vertias'....just more lies and conspiracy theories from the Right."

- some people: "Ah ha! It's right there in the video. CNN is admitting to it to being biased against the Right [or more correctly, Trump]. If you don't believe it, you've got blinders on."

some people: "Yeah, probably a little truth to that but in the end Trump isn't president so not too worried about it." 

and on cue, just read this article

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cnn-director-shown-on-undercover-video-boasting-about-removing-trump-from-office-and-admitting-to-spreading-propaganda/ar-BB1fCA7W?ocid=msedgntp

A CNN staffer can be seen in a newly released undercover video calling out his own network for “propaganda” and boasting that the cable news giant successfully removed former President Donald Trump from office.

"Look at what we did, we got Trump out," Charles Chester, a network technical director at CNN, said to an undercover journalist from the political action group Project Veritas in a tape released Tuesday. "I am 100% going to say it. And I 100% believe it that if it wasn't for CNN, I don't know that Trump would have got voted out."

Chester spoke to the undercover reporter in several clips in which he bragged that he was “one step down” from a director and admitted that the network pushed a story it “didn’t know anything about” relating to Trump’s physical health in order to damage him.

"Trump was, I don't know, like, shaking his hand or whatever ... We brought in, like, so many medical people to like all tell a story that, like, it was all speculation that he was, like, neurologically damaged, that he was losing it, he's unfit to, you know, whatever," Chester said. "We were creating a story that we didn't know anything about."

Chester added that the network did what it could to paint President Joe Biden as young and healthy to combat criticisms of his old age and possibly declining mental facilities.

“We would always show shots of him jogging ... him in his aviator shades, and, like, you paint him as a young geriatric," Chester said.

Chester also admitted that CNN was engaged in propaganda in the way it has been criticizing firebrand Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz, who faces allegations of sexual impropriety with a 17-year-old, allegations he has vehemently denied.

“If the agenda, say, is to get Matt Gaetz right now, he’s, like, this Republican,” Chester said in response to a question from the undercover journalist on how he defines propaganda. “He’s a problem for the Democratic Party ... So we’re going to keep running these stories to keep hurting him. That’s propaganda because it’s helping CNN in some way.”
Again, you keep bagging on CNN, and I have agreed, and that article talks about the network, which for both Fox and CNN are graded out a lot worse.  I am not talking about CNN, I don't watch CNN and don't advocate people doing so, and I think you know that.   

bold prediction regarding reactions to the link above (not necessarily by FBGs in this forum): 

- some people: "Pfft. It's James O'Keefe and 'Project Vertias'....just more lies and conspiracy theories from the Right."

- some people: "Ah ha! It's right there in the video. CNN is admitting to it to being biased against the Right [or more correctly, Trump]. If you don't believe it, you've got blinders on."

some people: "Yeah, probably a little truth to that but in the end Trump isn't president so not too worried about it." 
I think the honest reaction is probably - "yeah, don't use the networks for a main source of news" :shrug:   Not sure why anybody would be surprised. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, because guns are cheap, plentiful and easy to get it's usually more convenient to just shoot people.   
BTW, this is also the answer to SC's red herring question about why we don't hear more about stabbings on the news.  10x more murders are with guns, so it wouldn't make sense for stabbings to get equal coverage.  Just another SC special.

I do not agree because the very media that's biased is the ones creating the charts. 

Your chart shows CNN slightly left

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/cnn/

that one shows CNN 

Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Bolded one is incorrect.  Per wiki:

Ad Fontes Media, Inc. is a Colorado-based media watchdog organization primarily known for its Media Bias Chart, which rates media sources in terms of political bias and reliability. The organization was founded in 2014 by patent attorney Vanessa Otero with the goal of combating political polarization. Ad Fontes Media uses a panel of analysts across the political spectrum to evaluate articles for the Chart.

Bolded 2 I am not sure your point.  The chart clearly has different ratings for CNN network and CNN website.  No surprise - TV station is farther left and less reliable.  

Yeah, because guns are cheap, plentiful and easy to get it's usually more convenient to just shoot people.   
Ok. 

Would you like to have a debate on gun control or guns in general or what? I have no problem blowing you out of the water .

I will warn you, I will use facts and statistics and not emotional responses. 

Let me know when you want to get your ### handed to you. 

Ok. 

Would you like to have a debate on gun control or guns in general or what? I have no problem blowing you out of the water .

I will warn you, I will use facts and statistics and not emotional responses. 

Let me know when you want to get your ### handed to you. 
Not interested in debating gun control.   I'm just here to correct lies.  I did enjoy your post, though.   

Again, you keep bagging on CNN, and I have agreed, and that article talks about the network, which for both Fox and CNN are graded out a lot worse.  I am not talking about CNN, I don't watch CNN and don't advocate people doing so, and I think you know that.   
and I'm not an NRA puppet or type rehearsed NRA notes .... but I'm accused of it over and over and I don't see anyone calling -fish- out on doing that do you?

media is overall slanted - agenda's are added into everything from movies to video games to facebook to television series and shows to what we read

example - I'm stunned that Biden is wanted to expand the Supreme Court after what he's said about it in the past. Conservative FOX headline news front page  reports 

• FLASHBACK: That time Biden called court-packing a 'bonehead idea'
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg opposed court packing, said 'nine seems to be a good number'
  • GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'
  • Shannon Bream: Democrats will face 'a lot of questions' over plan to add four Supreme Court justices
what does liberal CNN say ?

• The art of persuasion: How past presidents have tried to nudge Supreme Court justices off the bench

That's it. That's all CNN is reporting this morning

Why so very different ways of reporting what Demcorats and Biden are doing ?

Not interested in debating gun control.   I'm just here to correct lies.  I did enjoy your post, though.   
like Giffords trying to take my son's shotgun? you've yet to comment on that 

or when you alluded everyone must have heard about the CA mother murdering with a knife and yet not many have at all ?

no, you're not hear to discuss fact on guns - you are anti-gun and want political agenda vs facts and information and truths ..... that's what it appears to me anyway 

1.  I think it depends on the mental health issue. But do you really want the Fed Govt tracking all the people diagnosed with mental illnesses or releasing all that medical information that's supposed to be private into the public systems for database usage all in order to maybe stop a handful of wackos from buying a rifle every year? think long and hard before releasing that kracken
As someone who was a victim of the OPM hack I'd warn that any thought a database like this stays private is laughably low.  The government isn't accountable, therefore they don't care enough to be vigilant about data protections.

Any database like this should expect many hacks and convenient leaks whenever someone in govt. feels it appropriate.

and I'm not an NRA puppet or type rehearsed NRA notes .... but I'm accused of it over and over and I don't see anyone calling -fish- out on doing that do you?

media is overall slanted - agenda's are added into everything from movies to video games to facebook to television series and shows to what we read

example - I'm stunned that Biden is wanted to expand the Supreme Court after what he's said about it in the past. Conservative FOX headline news front page  reports 

• FLASHBACK: That time Biden called court-packing a 'bonehead idea'
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg opposed court packing, said 'nine seems to be a good number'
  • GOP reps announce constitutional amendment to keep Supreme Court at 9 'before it's too late'
  • Shannon Bream: Democrats will face 'a lot of questions' over plan to add four Supreme Court justices
what does liberal CNN say ?

• The art of persuasion: How past presidents have tried to nudge Supreme Court justices off the bench

That's it. That's all CNN is reporting this morning

Why so very different ways of reporting what Demcorats and Biden are doing ?
And on that note, I am out with you on this topic.  I've provided a handful of places you can go instead, and get more factual reporting, and replied about how it's not the media doing the media chart.    :shrug:

You are all about personal responsibility, so you can choose to actually click on those places, or you can choose to consume things that we all agree are less factual and purposely slanted and complain about it.  

And on that note, I am out with you on this topic.  I've provided a handful of places you can go instead, and get more factual reporting, and replied about how it's not the media doing the media chart.    :shrug:

You are all about personal responsibility, so you can choose to actually click on those places, or you can choose to consume things that we all agree are less factual and purposely slanted and complain about it.  
Oh I browse many news sources ... why does it irk you that CNN is so radically liberal different when it comes to reporting? I suppose an ultra liberal would see FOX as reporting differently?

CNN is still very popular and tops in being watched - and they lie and manipulate and its all for agenda

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2021/03/30/cnn-beats-fox-msnbc-this-quarter-in-prime-total-day-dayside-in-demo-1-in-all-of-cable-in-total-day-among-25-54/

Oh I browse many news sources ... why does it irk you that CNN is so radically liberal different when it comes to reporting? I suppose an ultra liberal would see FOX as reporting differently?

CNN is still very popular and tops in being watched - and they lie and manipulate and its all for agenda

https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2021/03/30/cnn-beats-fox-msnbc-this-quarter-in-prime-total-day-dayside-in-demo-1-in-all-of-cable-in-total-day-among-25-54/
The point of all this is that no, you don't.   You listed 3 channels that grade poorly on actual news, and instead of replying to my questions, it's just more "but CNN!".    Just like what was posted in the other thread, I am not outraged by it or irked by it, I just find it fascinating that people purposely go to places they know are doing this and then ##### about them doing it.  

do you not agree ?

did you just check my browser history to see where I go and who I read ?

if CNN and FOX went away tomorrow I'd be a happy camper about them both being dead

read it all

In related news, news outlets are feverishly trying to figure out what the race of the shooter is so they can decide how to report on it. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread