Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Agreed. And all I’m asking for is an added repercussion: making it illegal to own an AR-15. 

so....turning law-abiding citizens into criminals.

Good plan.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. A bunch of people die from a madman with a gun, but hey, it's only about the same amount that have died from lightning, so no biggie holy ####

Mass shootings affect a far larger number of people than just those that are actually injured and killed. It traumatizes everyone present. It traumatizes first responders who are involved. It traumati

1 hour ago you were posting this.   Had to get that zinger in there first, then post a shot at me, but yeah turn it on me and make it seem like I don't care about people losing their lives.  It's a gi

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Did you vote to re-elect the Republican politicians (nearly everyone of them IIRC) who opposed and killed legislation that would have required universal background checks for mentally ill people who attempted to purchase firearms? 

Oh jeez now that’s a different story. Who the hell gets to decide what “mentally ill” means?  If you leave that to certain Liberals they’d probably classify it to include anyone who voted for Trump.  I take anti-depressants.  Am I mentally ill?

10 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Horrible meme.  I think most everyone here would agree that guns (or bombs) should be kept away from the mentally ill.  

I agree with that 100% but i though tons of people are strongly against red flag laws.

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Right. And it goes to my point. Your entire opposition to the idea of banning these particular weapons is that it would infringe upon your 2nd Amendment right. But you acknowledge that we already have limitations in place. So you’re contradicting yourself. 

I never said that I liked these limitations.

I said that I understand why people SOMEHOW feel safer with them in place.
After all...this is all about feeling good about yourselves.

Just now, ekbeats said:

Oh jeez now that’s a different story. Who the hell gets to decide what “mentally ill” means?  If you leave that to certain Liberals they’d probably classify it to include anyone who voted for Trump.  I take anti-depressants.  Am I mentally ill?

How about Dr's?

Just now, timschochet said:

Are you suggesting you would defy such a law and continue to own your M4 illegally? 

oh...absolutely

...and I wouldn't be alone.

Just now, killface said:

How about Dr's?

Too much subjectivity and variance from person to person.  It’ll never work.  Focus background checks on violent criminal history.

1 minute ago, Opie said:

I never said that I liked these limitations.

I said that I understand why people SOMEHOW feel safer with them in place.
After all...this is all about feeling good about yourselves.

I can’t speak for others. For me it’s about making things harder on the bad guys and easier on law enforcement. And that’s the whole of it. 

I can’t speak for others. For me it’s about making things harder on the bad guys and easier on law enforcement. And that’s the whole of it. 

Yeah! Pass another law!!

Bad guys always obey those!

1 minute ago, ekbeats said:

Too much subjectivity and variance from person to person.  It’ll never work.  Focus background checks on violent criminal history.

I think it would be pretty easy to draw a line too for mental health.  day to day depression not really an issue.  Violent schizophrenia without a record...red flag

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Are you suggesting you would defy such a law and continue to own your M4 illegally? 

Tim - you even said last night that nobody is coming to take your guns, and you were right.  There are a LOT of people who would literally die on that hill.  If you ever want to start a Civil War that’s the most foolproof way to do it.

Funny you think that about guns but not about illegal immigration.  You're very selective in what laws you want to make easier to enforce.

1 minute ago, Opie said:

oh...absolutely

...and I wouldn't be alone.

I believe you but I don’t understand you. You’d risk imprisonment and/or death not to protect the 2nd Amendment, not to protect your family, but in order to protect your M-4? Are you sure? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I believe you but I don’t understand you. You’d risk imprisonment and/or death not to protect the 2nd Amendment, not to protect your family, but in order to protect your M-4? Are you sure? 

Why? Aren't there rights that you would fight and possibly die for?
Are you really so cowardly that you wouldn't take a stand....not for ANY of your rights?

Oh...and I wouldn't register it if they told me to do that either

About the time I found it necessary to use my M4, is about the time this country was done circling the drain and we'd gone down.

Edited by Opie
2 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

Tim - you even said last night that nobody is coming to take your guns, and you were right.  There are a LOT of people who would literally die on that hill.  If you ever want to start a Civil War that’s the most foolproof way to do it.

I don’t believe the government  will ever seize firearms from law abiding citizens. But I do think we could make certain weapons illegal and after a voluntary buyback period that lasted several years, make it illegal to possess them. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Opie said:

Why? Aren't there rights that you would fight and possibly die for?

...and I wouldn't register it if they told me to do that either

About the time I found it necessary to use my M4, is about the time this country was done circling the drain and we'd gone down.

Of course there are rights that Id fight for. Owning a particular kind of firearm is not high on the list. 

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

How many with criminal backgrounds would turn in their guns?  

I don’t believe the government  will ever seize firearms from law abiding citizens. But I do think we could make certain weapons illegal and after a voluntary buyback period that lasted several years, make it illegal to possess them. 

Funny....we wouldn't seize them...but you can't own them.

6 minutes ago, John123 said:

Funny you think that about guns but not about illegal immigration.  You're very selective in what laws you want to make easier to enforce.

I suppose I am. Undocumented immigrants, unlike AR-15s, are human beings. That’s an important distinction at least to me. 

Of course there are rights that Id fight for. Owning a particular kind of firearm is not high on the list. 

So....only those rights that YOU deem as "quality", qualify for defense?
Dude...I would fight for YOUR rights too!
They are ALL worth fighting for.

I suppose I am. Undocumented immigrants, unlike AR-15s, are human beings. That’s an important distinction at least to me. 

Our border enforcement agents are law enforcement, just like the other ones you want to make things easier (and safer) for.

Illigal aliens.  And they are breaking the law.

That’s the idea. I’m hoping you give them up on your own. I don’t ever want the government to seize guns. 

Not a chance.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

1 minute ago, Opie said:

Not a chance.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

An AR15, or M4, is not an essential liberty. 

Gotta run guys. Work awaits. I will try to respond later. 

• Laughing 1

I used to be against assault style weapons until last summer.  I have to be honest - that really changed my mind and I think many others.  Seeing large mobs of protesters torching neighborhoods and looting stores night after night with impunity, and then seeing Kamala Harris supporting a fund to help bail them out of jail... well that showed me right there that there’s a fine line between civility and total chaos.  And the insurgency on Jan. 6th just reinforced that notion.  If chaos does happen a pistol isn’t going to save you against a violent mob.  Sadly I think many Americans realize that now, which is why there will be even more resistance to gun control measures like banning assault rifles.

2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Also please stop with this “they’re coming to take my guns” garbage.  No one wants your shotgun.

Can I please have a link proving that "No one" wants to do this. 

/disingenuous obvious hyperbole ignorer

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ekbeats said:

I used to be against assault style weapons until last summer.  I have to be honest - that really changed my mind and I think many others.  Seeing large mobs of protesters torching neighborhoods and looting stores night after night with impunity, and then seeing Kamala Harris supporting a fund to help bail them out of jail... well that showed me right there that there’s a fine line between civility and total chaos.  And the insurgency on Jan. 6th just reinforced that notion.  If chaos does happen a pistol isn’t going to save you against a violent mob.  Sadly I think many Americans realize that now, which is why there will be even more resistance to gun control measures like banning assault rifles.

And that in a nutshell is why our culture is broken and an example of why we are a failing state.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

horrible - the evil in this world stuns me sometimes

where was the security? where were people to fight back ?

my local Kroger doesn't allow me to carry my gun in - they disarm me and remove my rights to protect myself. If I'm in my store and a wacko comes in like there in Boulder, I'll have to run, pray I can survive for 5 minutes before police can come .... or attack without anything but a 6 pack of Coke and a box of townhouse crackers I guess? 

make no mistake - the kind of gun used is irrelevant- the core problem is the wacko's doing these things. this guy - once absolutely confirmed that he's the shooter (by video) .... should be executed tomorrow and done

send a clear message to the very very small % of wacko's out there that doing things like this won't be tolerated

Edited by Stealthycat
  • Like 3

Also please stop with this “they’re coming to take my guns” garbage.  No one wants your shotgun.

actually that's exactly what they do

my shotgun has a pistol grip and an adjustable stock - those two amenities make it an "assault weapon"

didn't you know that ?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to start with handguns since they kill far more people?  While these mass shootings are sad, there have been 116 homicide victims in Chicago this year.

Works for me, but realistically we know that won’t happen. I saw who liked your post, if he wants to petition that with me, that would be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Works for me, but realistically we know that won’t happen. I saw who liked your post, if he wants to petition that with me, that would be awesome. 

You say no one is coming for your guns first, then pivot to being ok  with taking away handguns?  Hard to take anything you say serious when you're all over the place.  

8 minutes ago, tonydead said:

You say no one is coming for your guns first, then pivot to being ok  with taking away handguns?  Hard to take anything you say serious when you're all over the place.  

I would love for the guns to go, it’s not happening. It will never happen. I would love for there to be world peace, I would go March for world peace.  Is there going to be world peace?  

This isn’t that complicated to understand.  

Edited by bigmarc27
34 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Ahmad Alissa. I wonder if the media will stop calling this one a mass shooting and call it a terrorist attack.

If they were all white, is it a hate crime?

29 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

Where was the security? where were people to fight back ?

Around here, none of our grocery stores have a level of security that would make a difference in an active-shooter situation. What security exists is aimed more at loss prevention than anything else.

1 minute ago, bigmarc27 said:

I would love for the guns to go, it’s not happening. It will never happen. I would love for there to be world peace, I would go March for world peace.  Is there going to be world peace?  

This isn’t that complicated to understand.  

Right, I don't believe in unicorns either.   Bringing them up in conversations doesn't do much for the discussion.

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

Right, I don't believe in unicorns either.   Bringing them up in conversations doesn't do much for the discussion.

I didn’t bring up banning all guns, I responded to someone else. In my response I said (direct quote) “realistically we know that won’t happen.”  

35 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

actually that's exactly what they do

my shotgun has a pistol grip and an adjustable stock - those two amenities make it an "assault weapon"

didn't you know that ?

I don't think the vast majority of anti-gun advocates understand that guns are made up of multiple parts.  Let alone the lower receiver is the only thing registered.  And if you fabricate the last 5% of the lower yourself it's not even required to be registered.  It's a nice thought that we could try to ban assault weapons, but, all that would do is add an additional penalty if you committed a crime with a weapon that happened to be put together in one of the outlawed configurations.  The cat is out of the bag with registered and unregistered lower receivers, people have intentionally stocked up on them and made ways to fabricate them yourself.  There is no way to get that back.

38 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Around here, none of our grocery stores have a level of security that would make a difference in an active-shooter situation. What security exists is aimed more at loss prevention than anything else.

I disagree

Schools started arming a few years back and it has dramatically cut shoot shootings down

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa  was a coward and a terrorist and he went where he knew there would be no fast resistance 

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

There’s also not one that addresses AR-15s. it’s obviously a fallacy to assume that “the right to bear arms” includes all arms without restriction. Suppose I tried to build a nuclear weapon in my backyard? Should that be allowed under the 2nd Amendment? Clearly not. Therefore, reasonable limitations can be imposed. 

There weren’t assault rifles running around when the 2nd amendment was adopted. Things change and the constitution was designed to be amended as times change. 

I get all that, just pointing out comparing guns to Sudafed might not be the best way to go.  

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I don’t believe the government  will ever seize firearms from law abiding citizens.

so when the Govt has a list of who owns what, and they know what's banned and who owns them ............ you don't connect those dots ?

30 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I don't think the vast majority of anti-gun advocates understand that guns are made up of multiple parts.  Let alone the lower receiver is the only thing registered.  And if you fabricate the last 5% of the lower yourself it's not even required to be registered.  It's a nice thought that we could try to ban assault weapons, but, all that would do is add an additional penalty if you committed a crime with a weapon that happened to be put together in one of the outlawed configurations.  The cat is out of the bag with registered and unregistered lower receivers, people have intentionally stocked up on them and made ways to fabricate them yourself.  There is no way to get that back.

before demanding the passing of laws that infringe on Constitutional Rights ... you'd think people would want to be informed of what they're actually talking about wouldn't you ?

you cannot ban "assault" weapons because they are not a model or make - they are what anti-gunners say they are, and that definition bends and adjusts depending on how they want to spread fear

1 hour ago, jobarules said:

Ahmad Alissa. I wonder if the media will stop calling this one a mass shooting and call it a terrorist attack.

I guess I already consider mass shootings like this acts of terror.  

• Like 2

List of Boulder shooting victims released:  

https://coloradosun.com/2021/03/23/boulder-shooting-update-march-23/

Denny Strong, 20

Neven Stanisic, 23

Rikki Olds, 25

Tralona Bartkowiak, 49

Suzanne Fountain, 59

Teri Leiker, 51

Boulder Police Department Officer Eric Talley, 51

Kevin Mahoney, 61

Lynn Murray, 62

Jody Water, 65

8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I guess I already consider mass shootings like this acts of terror.  

But not necessarily terrorism, the definition of which requires a political motivation.

• Thanks 1