What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa, in the coming days, will be painted a victim of islamophobia, or bullying, and this will be turned around into something very different than what it actually is I bet

Just curious where you looked and found this.  I see that BS said "violent crime" which is all encompassing.   I looked at the FBI site under burglary, assuming that's was ek was worried about, and that was down overall 50% in the last decade, but didn't have a urban/rural breakdown.  
This is one of several articles - https://atlantablackstar.com/2018/07/16/rural-red-states-that-voted-for-trump-are-experiencing-a-surge-in-crime/

and the articles all seemed to reference this (horrible to open on my ancient laptops) as a primary source - https://www.governing.com/archive/gov-crime-rural-urban-cities.html

They also tended to reference this which (from memory) which was more general - https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/11/20/facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

and/or this which is more survey type information- https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/10/rural-and-urban-gun-owners-have-different-experiences-views-on-gun-policy/

I think these links cover everything I read - a representative article, main source, and polling on attitudes.  I didn't see anything that contradicted that "governing.com" article.  That is nothing that reinforced my initial position that it was silly to be extra afraid of crime in rural areas because the rates were so low that the response times would be pretty much irrelevant.  Apparently I was wrong about that.  At least per the above.

Youd think after the endless number of times this country's fathers, mothers, sons and daughters have to endure a mass shooting we could get past the surface and move on to more than just the 2nd amendment.

Nope...Always this...Always...and nothing changes.  

But not necessarily terrorism, the definition of which requires a political motivation.
seeking asylum requires it too - but the liberals have turned every person coming into US illegally as seeking asylum so ..... I dunno is pure definitions matter anymore

This is one of several articles - https://atlantablackstar.com/2018/07/16/rural-red-states-that-voted-for-trump-are-experiencing-a-surge-in-crime/

and the articles all seemed to reference this (horrible to open on my ancient laptops) as a primary source - https://www.governing.com/archive/gov-crime-rural-urban-cities.html

They also tended to reference this which (from memory) which was more general - https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/11/20/facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

and/or this which is more survey type information- https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/10/rural-and-urban-gun-owners-have-different-experiences-views-on-gun-policy/

I think these links cover everything I read - a representative article, main source, and polling on attitudes.  I didn't see anything that contradicted that "governing.com" article.  That is nothing that reinforced my initial position that it was silly to be extra afraid of crime in rural areas because the rates were so low that the response times would be pretty much irrelevant.  Apparently I was wrong about that.  At least per the above.
Thanks, there is some good info there.   I don't know ek lives, but like you said (I think it was you), my initial reaction was "really?", and like I posted I immediately went to burglary as the reason you'd want protection, which seemed to be on the decline.  

Seeing twitter leftists just pivot to "he survived because he looked white if he was black they would have killed him."

Like Vince Vaugh says, always double down.

whoa

he had automatic weapons ?
No he didn't have automatic weapons.  Automatic weapons are very rarely used in crimes, largely because they are difficult and expensive to get your hands on due to the long-standing regulations on their manufacture, transfer, and use, which carry heavy fines and jail time.  Evidence that gun laws work just fine when we make them sufficiently impactful to those that might consider violating them.  

Biden already using this to push for more gun control.  :wall:
We need more gun control: 

We need universal background checks. The vast majority of Americans agree with this. 

I would also like to see all guns in this country registered. 

I would also like to ban AR-15s and AR-15 type weapons. But I’m not as sure about this as I am about the first two. I’m open to arguments. The ones made in this thread haven’t been too compelling so far, IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you think that about guns but not about illegal immigration.  You're very selective in what laws you want to make easier to enforce.
I suppose I am. Undocumented immigrants, unlike AR-15s, are human beings. That’s an important distinction at least to me. 
If I am to speak for you Tim.  I think you are consistent.  I think you favor the right for individuals to own guns, but government with a good enough reason should prevent certain individuals from owning any guns and/or all individual to own certain types of guns.   For immigration I think you believe in the general right that any individual can freely enter (and leave) the country and work except for those specific individuals where the government has a good enough reason to keep out.  And since it is easier to get in you would ban entry points other than the front doors where these "background checks" can be  performed.  Now that is really general and the devil is in what is "good enough" reason among other details being glossed over, but I think I am close to what you have posted over the almost two decade here just reworded a bit .   And I think they are reasonable close to being the same.

If I am to speak for you Tim.  I think you are consistent.  I think you favor the right for individuals to own guns, but government with a good enough reason should prevent certain individuals from owning any guns and/or all individual to own certain types of guns.   For immigration I think you believe in the general right that any individual can freely enter (and leave) the country and work except for those specific individuals where the government has a good enough reason to keep out.  And since it is easier to get in you would ban entry points other than the front doors where these "background checks" can be  performed.  Now that is really general and the devil is in what is "good enough" reason among other details being glossed over, but I think I am close to what you have posted over the almost two decade here just reworded a bit .   And I think they are reasonable close to being the same.
Thanks. This does represent my views in general yes. Appreciate the help. 

No he didn't have automatic weapons.  Automatic weapons are very rarely used in crimes, largely because they are difficult and expensive to get your hands on due to the long-standing regulations on their manufacture, transfer, and use, which carry heavy fines and jail time.  Evidence that gun laws work just fine when we make them sufficiently impactful to those that might consider violating them.  
so what other things would you ban that caused mass deaths ?

cigarettes? 

alcohol?

sugar?

These "assault" rifles are simple semi-auto rifles normally much less "powerful" than a hunting rifle 

They look scary - and they've been branded as "assault" weapons for so long, people believe them !!

Thing is, nobody ever had fully auto weapons to amount to anything. But these semi-auto rifles? People have them, a lot of them, and very very exceptionally rarely is ones used incorrectly. Like ... there are what, 25 million "assault" style AR15's in the USA and maybe 10-20 of them a year are used wrongly?

that's justification for banning ?

We need universal background checks. The vast majority of Americans agree with this. 

I would also like to ban AR-15s and AR-15 type weapons. But I’m not as sure about this as I am about the first two. I’m open to arguments. The ones made in this thread haven’t been too compelling so far, IMO. 
We don't need more gun control

We've had background checks for a long long time and the US Govt fails to prosecute anyone who tries to buy illegally and the entire system is a failure - typical Govt

I will never register my guns and that law would create tens of millions of criminals 

and finally .... good gawd, why would you ban a semi-auto .223 rifle ?? 

Shooter was a muslim, do we know the races of the people who were shot and killed beside the police officer? We looking at a hate crime here?

this guy - once absolutely confirmed that he's the shooter (by video) .... should be executed tomorrow and done

send a clear message to the very very small % of wacko's out there that doing things like this won't be tolerated
Didn't I read in the Washington Post article that slightly more than half of those they called mass shootings ended in the killer being killed (or killing themselves) during the act?  If I remember correctly then I think the message is going to be falling of deaf ears.  It is not going to serve the claimed purpose of acting as a "second thought" deterrent. 

Okay I looked before hitting send-

194 shooters

Some of these mass shooters were known to have violent tendencies or criminal pasts. Others seemed largely fine until they attacked. All but 5 were male. The vast majority were between the ages of 20 and 49. More than half — 103 of them — died at or near the scene of the shooting, often by killing themselves.

Didn't I read in the Washington Post article that slightly more than half of those they called mass shootings ended in the killer being killed (or killing themselves) during the act?  If I remember correctly then I think the message is going to be falling of deaf ears.  It is not going to serve the claimed purpose of acting as a "second thought" deterrent. 

Okay I looked before hitting send-

194 shooters

Some of these mass shooters were known to have violent tendencies or criminal pasts. Others seemed largely fine until they attacked. All but 5 were male. The vast majority were between the ages of 20 and 49. More than half — 103 of them — died at or near the scene of the shooting, often by killing themselves.
this is true - but after they've hurt a lot of people

I want to be able to protect myself - everyone in that King Soopers was depending on police and/or security to protect them from that guy Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Laws didn't bind Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Morality and ethics didn't bind Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

there was two things that were going to stop him - superior force or himself ......... I just wish someone would have been able to be pro-active like this situation months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWibXye6YE

the above is what happens when people can defend themselves 

One guy blows up a building with a fertilizer bomb, we make it harder to get fertilizer in mass quantities. Meth heads use over the counter meds to make meth, we make it harder to buy those medications. People shoot up a school, concert, club, supermarket? Crickets. 
What are we doing about lightning strikes???

It's actually quite entertaining.  Half the people are showing they're as bigoted as the Harris family and the other half berating those people for their bigotry.
its very odd

it was assumed this was a white guy and thus, white supremacist and race/hate crime ...and had it been, nobody would have been talking about the backlash on whites

but

the guy was a muslim, and I've yet to see anyone declare him a terrorist and nobody has pointed it as race/hate crime ...and the oddest thing, people are talking about the backlash towards muslims now

its fascinating to see the blatant hypocrisy  

its very odd

it was assumed this was a white guy and thus, white supremacist and race/hate crime ...and had it been, nobody would have been talking about the backlash on whites

but

the guy was a muslim, and I've yet to see anyone declare him a terrorist and nobody has pointed it as race/hate crime ...and the oddest thing, people are talking about the backlash towards muslims now

its fascinating to see the blatant hypocrisy  
unfortunately you forgot about the part where he wouldn't have been taken alive if white.

this is true - but after they've hurt a lot of people

I want to be able to protect myself - everyone in that King Soopers was depending on police and/or security to protect them from that guy Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Laws didn't bind Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Morality and ethics didn't bind Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

there was two things that were going to stop him - superior force or himself ......... I just wish someone would have been able to be pro-active like this situation months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWibXye6YE

the above is what happens when people can defend themselves 
This is all unrelated to the point I was addressing.  You said you want this guy "...executed tomorrow .. [to] ...send a clear message to the very very small % of wacko's out there that doing things like this won't be tolerated".  I'm saying that it seems these should already know that death is more likely than not.  And if they don't already get this then I doubt they will be receiving any messages.

CO has universal background checks.  So does CA.  They haven't made a difference. 
Universal means every state. It means that if you live in Colorado you can’t drive to Nevada, go to a gun show, and buy a firearm from a private dealer without a background check. No loopholes. 

I'm on board with the first 2. I'd also like a mandatory wait time and tighter restrictions on certain misdemeanors like anything violent. I'd also go tougher with mandatory training/proficiency ability. Guns should be harder to acquire, not just more expensive.

Youd think after the endless number of times this country's fathers, mothers, sons and daughters have to endure a mass shooting we could get past the surface and move on to more than just the 2nd amendment.

Nope...Always this...Always...and nothing changes.  
No reason we can't do both...focus on gun control as well as mental health concerns.

Seems always a push back though when the two are combined.

Nothing changes because the pressure and money seems to indicate nothing will.

No reason we can't do both...focus on gun control as well as mental health concerns.

We don't do both.  It turns into a gun control debate.  Everytime and always.

What’s your point?
To make a bit of a joke?

Because I can sort of protect myself from lightning strikes.

Like...you know, if I need to go out, I try to avoid doing so during thunderstorms that are producing lightning.  Have an app on my phone that shows lightning strikes nearby.  If the weather is looking rough, I check it before going out for a run or whatever.

If I need groceries...there is no app to show me if there is a possible mass shooting.  The comparison was ridiculous to start with....and sometimes a little levity with a joke is needed IMO.

I agree...we don't do both...we do neither really.  There never is a real debate about gun control.  Just claims that it is too soon or that no laws would help. Then we wait for the next time.

That does not keep others from adding in talk about mental illness to the discussion either.

The two are often intertwined.

To make a bit of a joke?

Because I can sort of protect myself from lightning strikes.

Like...you know, if I need to go out, I try to avoid doing so during thunderstorms that are producing lightning.  Have an app on my phone that shows lightning strikes nearby.  If the weather is looking rough, I check it before going out for a run or whatever.

If I need groceries...there is no app to show me if there is a possible mass shooting.  The comparison was ridiculous to start with....and sometimes a little levity with a joke is needed IMO.
As usual you totally missed my point with the comparison.  I was making the point that the total number of deaths by mass shootings and lightning strikes was the same, yet we (and the media) don’t evaluate the risk with the same degree of concern.  

As usual you totally missed my point with the comparison.  I was making the point that the total number of deaths by mass shootings and lightning strikes was the same, yet we (and the media) don’t evaluate the risk with the same degree of concern.  
Despite the ridiculous comparison, 49 people are killed in the US by lightning each year.  Now do mass shootings.

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-victims

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mass-shootings-2019-more-than-days-365/

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they are not remotely the same thing, as I would think most people agree.   Not all modes of death are equal just because they might take the same number of lives.   

Yes, I agree there is a political component because of the guns, but also the psychological effect on survivors and the community.  

ObamaCare put mental health benefits under the "essential" category.   The ObamaCare thread will show how providing mental health benefits through Medicaid to inmates would bankrupt states.  And responses such as I am not crazy why should I have to pay for this.  So I guess my question is (not to be saying that those are your positions) that if we don't treat mental health as something that we cover with insurance such that it kicks in the same way as it would for a cancer diagnosis or a broken leg and if we don't spend state resource to provide mental health services for inmates and such then what should  we be doing?

I mean I assume we shouldn't just look at people (like these guys) and say nope, you're too crazy to own a gun?

And you used data that was misleading. You looked at figures from the last 45 years, yet probably most mass shooting have occurred in the last 20 years. I am sure if you were to look at deaths from lighting strikes versus mass shootings in the last 10 years, the numbers would not be close to being the same. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread